The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 1:44 pm

toom317 wrote:The current loud mouthed gobshyte

Which one....the one that just shouts "No Brexit!" or the one that 'sings' "We're not gonna Brexit" ?
As bad as that throbber of a Conservative MP who loudly chunters "Hear! Hear!" every time May says anything.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby iainpeden on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 3:12 pm

Anybody else notice the intellectually challenged people wearing red noses in the lobby after last night's vote?

Sums up the whole thing - "comic" relief.
iainpeden

Postby toom317 on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 7:08 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:

Which one....the one that just shouts "No Brexit!" or the one that 'sings' "We're not gonna Brexit" ?
As bad as that throbber of a Conservative MP who loudly chunters "Hear! Hear!" every time May says anything.

It doesn't matter Brevet, there's always one every time the news is live outside parliament. Maybe I'm a bit deaf, but to be honest I can't really hear what the shouting/singing is about, so it could be just one side or both of the argument, it's just bloody annoying. :wall:

I'd like to see Laura Kuenssberg walk over to these jokers, and ask them to actually put their point over, but seriously doubt they could. (And yes, I did have to google Laura Kuenssberg, to get the spelling right). :grin:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby vandal on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:14 pm

Self scan at local Sainsbury's - it's bad enough when you scan an item and get the beep, place the item in the bagging area to be told to remove it to then be told you've removed it and to put it back again, (several times!!) but as Comic Relief is approaching, the annoying voice from Self Scan wasn't a female, it was Alan Carr.
vandal

Postby toom317 on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:13 pm

vandal wrote:Self scan at local Sainsbury's - it's bad enough when you scan an item and get the beep, place the item in the bagging area to be told to remove it to then be told you've removed it and to put it back again, (several times!!) but as Comic Relief is approaching, the annoying voice from Self Scan wasn't a female, it was Alan Carr.

:lol: :lol: They've got Alan Carr doing recorded announcements on the tannoy in the store my sister works in, and everytime I'm in there and it comes on, I keep thinking it's my sister taking the mick. :lol: :lol:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 5:10 pm

All the 'plastic Paddies' who have no links to Ireland whatsoever who will crawl out of the woodwork this weekend. :dizzy:
Why on earth do they see fit to 'celebrate' St Patrick's Day ( by getting absolutely paralytic, usually wearing stupid costumes ) when they ignore their own Patron Saints?
Brevet Cable

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 5:13 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:All the 'plastic Paddies' who have no links to Ireland whatsoever who will crawl out of the woodwork this weekend. :dizzy:
Why on earth do they see fit to 'celebrate' St Patrick's Day ( by getting absolutely paralytic, usually wearing stupid costumes ) when they ignore their own Patron Saints?

And I bet hardly any of them darken the door of a church either. Same at Xmas.

Pah, heathens.
Spiny Norman

Postby boff180 on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 3:53 am

Brevet Cable wrote:All the 'plastic Paddies' who have no links to Ireland whatsoever who will crawl out of the woodwork this weekend. :dizzy:

I’m a plastic paddy today because if they beat Wales in the Rugby this afternoon it means England are in with a shout of winning the Championship tonight if they can hammer the Scottish :-D
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:23 am

Wotcher mean 'if'...... I fully expect Wales will play so crap that they'll throw the game away & England will have to play as badly as Italy for Scotland to beat them. :biggrin:
Brevet Cable

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 8:17 am

boff180 wrote:

I’m a plastic paddy today because if they beat Wales in the Rugby this afternoon it means England are in with a shout of winning the Championship tonight if they can hammer the Scottish :-D

A nicely chosen phrase and a good omen, perhaps: Edward was the Hammer of the Scots..... just what is "Eddie" derived from? :grin:
FarnboroJohn

Postby AlexC on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 12:20 pm

Why would anyone who has no connection with Ireland want to celebrate St Patrick's Day, it makes no sense? I don't celebrate it and I had Irish grandparents on my fathers side, although they were Church of Ireland, so perhaps that wouldn't be appropriate anyway?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 20 Mar 2019, 7:05 am

Brevet Cable wrote:

An update to this....
It's the same person and his identity has now been revealed.....rather embarrasingly, he's Welsh! :oops:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/piers-morgan-called-vocal-welsh-15997325

Must admit it's not very often that I agree with Piers Morgan.
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Thu 21 Mar 2019, 8:56 pm

The UK will oppose motions criticising rights abuses in the West Bank and Gaza that are brought to the UN’s human rights council under a special procedure dedicated to Israel’s behaviour in the occupied territories, Jeremy Hunt has said.

The move is likely to delight the Trump administration, which quit the human rights council in June last year, citing its approach to Israel. It also appears aimed at cementing the Conservative party’s relations with pro-Israel sections of the British Jewish community at a time when the Labour party is mired in criticism of its handling of antisemitism complaints.

Correct move by the UK government or party politics by the Tories?
Berf

Postby CJS on Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:07 pm

Berf wrote:The UK will oppose motions criticising rights abuses in the West Bank and Gaza that are brought to the UN’s human rights council under a special procedure dedicated to Israel’s behaviour in the occupied territories, Jeremy Hunt has said.

The move is likely to delight the Trump administration, which quit the human rights council in June last year, citing its approach to Israel. It also appears aimed at cementing the Conservative party’s relations with pro-Israel sections of the British Jewish community at a time when the Labour party is mired in criticism of its handling of antisemitism complaints.

Correct move by the UK government or party politics by the Tories?

You really have to ask?
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 21 Mar 2019, 11:47 pm

Because there are too many stupid people ( often with an agenda ) who conflate/confuse criticism of the Israeli government/military with anti-Semitism.
Brevet Cable

Postby Tommy on Sun 07 Apr 2019, 10:11 am

I don’t know whether I’m angry about this, but look at the absolute lunacy of this tweet:

The man is perpetually angry at everything.

He’s the type of chap who would have objected to opium and cocaine being removed from children’s medicines in the early 1900s.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby rockfordstone on Sun 07 Apr 2019, 10:50 am

Tommy wrote:I don’t know whether I’m angry about this, but look at the absolute lunacy of this tweet:

The man is perpetually angry at everything.

He’s the type of chap who would have objected to opium and cocaine being removed from children’s medicines in the early 1900s.

he has to be angry at something because if he hasn't got something to be angry about he ceases to be relevant. he is only just holding on to it now. if we leave the EU he has no place in the media so he will find other things to be angry about
rockfordstone

Postby Tommy on Sun 07 Apr 2019, 12:17 pm

Like all outrage-capitalists (and a lot of Brexiteers), he’s a dog that chases cars; he has no idea what he’d do if he actually caught one.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 07 Apr 2019, 4:16 pm

Farage doesn't have to worry, though....he'll still have his regular appearances on shows like Question Time & Any Questions to keep the cash rolling in, not to mention the pension he gets for being an MEP.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 09 Apr 2019, 1:20 pm

Freeloaders who try everything they can think of to avoid having to pay to use car parks when they're out spotting...... :whistle:
Brevet Cable

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 9:55 am

Democracy, what an appalling system. Before I go on, I should say that I have always been a supporter of democracy, have actively taken part in elections for a dozen years as a presiding officer and do not support any other system that's ever been tried.

Firstly , there's Brexit. Leaving aside the referendum and everything that led up to it, whether you are a leaver or a remainer, you cannot possibly say that our parliament has dealt with the issue in a competent manner. It's an embarrassingly shambolic.

But Brexit, serious and divisive though it is, is as nothing compared to some of the issues which face us. Issues such as AI/automation and climate change.

With respect to AI/automation, I have no confidence at all that democracy can facilitate solutions. Our governments will address these issues with foolhardy sticking plasters such as trying to retrain all lorry drivers as software engineers and then wondering why the private sector providers who will promise that they can do this fail. Policies such as UBI which have the depth to be able to really solve some of these issues will be impossible to pass because of extreme resistance from some sectors and political persuasions.

Then there's climate change. The largest and most frightening existential threat to all of our lives. In response to this threat, one of the largest and most influential democracies in the world vote in a president who says it's a Chinese trick to undermine their economy. I cannot believe that our democratic systems will ever be able to halt the warming of the global climate and I fear what we will do in response to some of the other issues that will arise from it. For example, how will we all cope with the half a billion refugees which will likely be on the move in the next few decades? It doesn't seem to me that we handle issues around migration well at all.

If you want to reply and tell me I'm wrong, I'll be really happy as I'd love to feel that democracy will help us all out of these problems. I fear though that unless we fix it quickly then we could all die while we're deciding whether deplorables like Corbyn or Boris have the right solutions in hand. Democracy should be a process which helps us to find inspiring and competant leadership with all of our best interests at heart. Looking at our parliament at present , that seems like a cruel joke.
Paul_Reflex

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:19 am

"The largest and most frightening existential threat to all of our lives."

I think that's the point, it does not pose any threat to our lives: none but we are the ones voting. It poses a threat to future generations. But voters vote based on their present situation or the near future. Very few voters have the imagination or willingness to vote for change when the change effects them negatively in return for a positive outcome hundreds of years in the future. And politicians want power in the present so they will make short term promises to voters in order to gain power.

But to balance this, what alternative distribution of power would do better at having a long term plan to tackle issues like global warming? I dont think there is one. We will effetively kill ourselves off or a small group will go off to live on Mars (this is where some people like Musk and Bezos are thinking long term) and the Earth will become a haven for other species who will love it and thrive after we have gone. It will be a stunning place.

So it's not democracy at fault. It's the human condition.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:27 am

I think that's a really interesting point, thank you. It's not the distribution of power that's the problem. The problem does seem to be that the system is geared towards the short term and the near and is more or less blind to the long term or further away.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 2:27 pm

Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

No Brevet, no! She's a British citizen etc etc...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic