The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby toom317 on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 1:40 pm

I see the self righteous, Dame Emma Thompson, has jetted back from LA, to show solidarity with the climate change protesters in London. I read somewhere that she flew to LA for her birthday, and came back for this. Wonder if she's jetting back to finish her birthday. Let's all bow down and offer worship to the Goddess of hypocrisy. :worship:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 11:49 am

No more hypocrytical than the people who are leading the 'Extinction Rebellion' organisation, though, given the damning background information on them being reported.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 1:52 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:No more hypocrytical than the people who are leading the 'Extinction Rebellion' organisation, though, given the damning background information on them being reported.

Quite, as I said yesterday...

CJS wrote: And how did the majority of those protesters (who don't live in London) get there I wonder?

On the very public transport they are now disrupting? Or did they all cycle and walk?

"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 2:49 pm

Not just that....various journalists have looked at the organisers' facebook sites & noted their lifestyles ( particularly the amount of foreign travel they've indulged in )
Brevet Cable

Postby Paul_Reflex on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 5:38 pm

Anti-capitalists smeared by corporate interests shocker.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 6:01 pm

So you're saying it's all a pack of lies and some unscrupulous agencies have hacked their social media accounts ,then?
Or do you accept that what's been revealed is accurate but you're narked that they're being shown to be the hypocrites that they are?
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 6:11 pm

The latter, one would presume...

Why oh why these people didn't think this through and change their Facebook privacy settings is beyond me!
CJS

Postby Paul_Reflex on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 6:24 pm

Neither of those two. I'm aware that most people are hypocrites and not surprised that some of these people are too. To be clear with you as you imply that I'd be angry on their behalf, I don't support these people, other than in the broad sense that I don't want my children to be left with an uninhabitable world. I'd much prefer a social democratic response such as the green new deal, than the anti-capitalist, 'bring it all down' response that these people are after.

It just annoys me a little that these journalists were out looking for a story like this in the first place, clearly to undermine the cause of fighting climate change. It's a lazy cop out when they could just as easily be addressing the important issues at hand. I am confident that their path to a Pulitzer prize lies down a more noble road than smear stories.
Last edited by Paul_Reflex on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Paul_Reflex on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 6:30 pm

CJS wrote:The latter, one would presume..

I'm not sure why you posted this Chris, I've never had anything but cordial interactions with you.
Paul_Reflex

Postby CJS on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 6:57 pm

Paul_Reflex wrote:
CJS wrote:The latter, one would presume..

I'm not sure why you posted this Chris, I've never had anything but cordial interactions with you.

No you're right, and it didn't come across quite how I intended, for which I apologise. I simply meant that it couldn't really be the first option.

What I didn't do was consider that there might have been others.

FWIW, I share your idea that
Paul_Reflex wrote: I don't want my children to be left with an uninhabitable world. I'd much prefer a social democratic response such as the green new deal, than the anti-capitalist, 'bring it all down' response that these people are after
wholeheartedly. :up:

Again, apologies.
CJS

Postby Paul_Reflex on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 7:14 pm

Thanks Chris :smile:
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 9:30 pm

The problem isn't whether or not people agree that something needs to be done, it's with the impossibility of what they're demanding.
That's not just the opinion of businesses, politicians or the general public, it's the opinion of the ecologists & climatologists who I've heard being interviewed recently.

One of the most relevant comments David Attenborough made several years ago still stands true today -- The World is overpopulated, some areas massively so.
Don't know if he's still expounding this.
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Sat 20 Apr 2019, 9:44 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:The problem isn't whether or not people agree that something needs to be done, it's with the impossibility of what they're demanding.
That's not just the opinion of businesses, politicians or the general public, it's the opinion of the ecologists & climatologists who I've heard being interviewed recently.

One of the most relevant comments David Attenborough made several years ago still stands true today -- The World is overpopulated, some areas massively so.
Don't know if he's still expounding this.

If he's not, he should be, given that he's one of the few people left who actually seems to get listened to.
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 21 Apr 2019, 12:24 am

It's probably still not the solution people want to hear, though, no more than it was back in the '80s.
I can remember at the time of the Ethiopian famine & Band Aid concert when one environmental scientist became persona non grata with the media for essentially saying that the best thing to do would be to let them die, as throwing lots of food aid at them wouldn't solve the basic problem.
Brevet Cable

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sun 21 Apr 2019, 7:34 am

Brevet Cable wrote:It's probably still not the solution people want to hear, though, no more than it was back in the '80s.
I can remember at the time of the Ethiopian famine & Band Aid concert when one environmental scientist became persona non grata with the media for essentially saying that the best thing to do would be to let them die, as throwing lots of food aid at them wouldn't solve the basic problem.

And actually if you package it correctly it could appeal to Western millennials: party till you puke and enjoy it, just DON'T BREED: let your carbon footprint be the last.
FarnboroJohn

Postby CJS on Sun 21 Apr 2019, 1:31 pm

Farhana Yamin, from the group, said being able to "pause" the protests showed it was an "organised and a long-term political force to be reckoned with".

So there you go Jezza and TM, glue yourself to a bus and do a bit of yoga on a bridge and you'll become "a long-term political force to be reckoned with"...

#noyouwont
#campaignforpunctuationtobeallowedinhastags
CJS

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 5:58 pm

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Tommy on Thu 25 Apr 2019, 7:37 am

The pathetic way all the same privileged moneyed boring old farts rubbished, quite viciously, a Nobel Prize-nominated child who made an extremely eloquent and passionate speech in a second language to politicians about climate change is pretty systematic of our times. And the fact that not one among said old farts attempted to rebut the science or actually argue against the content of her speech itself in their character assassination of her.

Oh, and Mint Flannel, obviously. Mint Flannel makes me rage.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby aceyone on Thu 25 Apr 2019, 9:06 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48046595

I don't suppose any of this bunch have to worry too much about money !

Select Committee on Intergenerational Fairness and Provision
The Select Committee on Intergenerational Fairness and Provision was appointed by the House
of Lords on 9 May 2018 “to consider the long-term implications of Government policy on
intergenerational fairness and provision.”
Membership
The Members of the Select Committee on Intergenerational Fairness and Provision were:
Baroness Bakewell
(resigned July 2018)
Lord
Holmes of Richmond
Lord Bichard
Baroness Jenkin of Kennington
Baroness Blackstone
Lord Price
Viscount Chandos
(appointed 19 July 2018)
Baroness Thornhill
Baroness Crawley
Lord True
(Chairman)
Baroness Greengross
Baroness Tyler of Enfield
Lord Hollick
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Postby AlexC on Thu 25 Apr 2019, 1:23 pm

I assume that said 'boring old farts' are those people listed above? If not, I'd be interested to learn who exactly they are?

And the Nobel Prize-Nominated child was indeed impressive to see and hear, and good for her!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby jingernut on Thu 09 May 2019, 10:39 am

Danny Baker sacking.... saw the tweet and didn't connect it to race myself (didn't know she was mixed race)... just saw a funny pic of a posh couple with a chimp dressed up. Maybe it's how I've been brought up to not even think about race when seeing an image like that. The people loosing it on social media about him being a racist are the ones that get me angry. :dizzy:
jingernut

Postby Tommy on Wed 15 May 2019, 12:29 pm

Grim.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Thu 16 May 2019, 6:12 am

Tommy wrote:

Grim.

Yep, more progress from "The Free World".

Unbelievable.

Christ, that article gets more depressing the more you look at it - the map showing the obvious regression since 2000, the 22 white, middle aged cretins who passed this stone age legislation.

Awful
CJS

Postby Airshowhammer on Thu 16 May 2019, 8:41 am

What's their skin colour got to do with anything?

Its a grim, ridiculous decision, yes.
Airshowhammer

Postby CJS on Thu 16 May 2019, 12:42 pm

Airshowhammer wrote:What's their skin colour got to do with anything?

Its a grim, ridiculous decision, yes.

Nothing per se, except that it highlights the extremely narrow demographic making the rules in a state where 26.2% of the population are African American.

How many of Alabama's senators are not white? Only 4 of them are women.
CJS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic