The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby MiG_Eater on Thu 16 May 2019, 2:15 pm

I tend to agree with a lot of what you post CJS, but I think AH is right to pick you up on the race point.

In my view it really cheapens people to split them up by race. Had the group come to an opposite decision I wonder if you would have mentioned their race at all.
MiG_Eater

Postby CJS on Thu 16 May 2019, 2:34 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:I tend to agree with a lot of what you post CJS, but I think AH is right to pick you up on the race point.

In my view it really cheapens people to split them up by race. Had the group come to an opposite decision I wonder if you would have mentioned their race at all.

You're probably right, it was a misguided point, for which I apologise :up:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby MiG_Eater on Thu 16 May 2019, 2:39 pm

Apologising? On the internet?

I think you don't understand how these forums work.

... :worship:
MiG_Eater

Postby pbeardmore on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:01 pm

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby CJS on Fri 31 May 2019, 6:59 am

I'm standing in Tesco and have English apples and, right next to them, apples from the furthest point on earth that they could come from. Ridiculous!
CJS

Postby AlexC on Fri 31 May 2019, 11:25 am

I don't think that you can beat English apples for taste, especially Cox, but they are obviously not available throughout the whole year.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby CJS on Fri 31 May 2019, 3:06 pm

AlexC wrote:I don't think that you can beat English apples for taste, especially Cox, but they are obviously not available throughout the whole year.

No, that's true. My :mad: stems from the fact that I had the option - I usually do in fact - of 2 essentially identical products, which I could grow in my back garden, and one of them had travelled 11,600 miles. It's madness.
CJS

Postby capercaillie on Fri 31 May 2019, 3:24 pm

CJS wrote:
AlexC wrote:I don't think that you can beat English apples for taste, especially Cox, but they are obviously not available throughout the whole year.

No, that's true. My :mad: stems from the fact that I had the option - I usually do in fact - of 2 essentially identical products, which I could grow in my back garden, and one of them had travelled 11,600 miles. It's madness.

Aah, but could you grow enough in your back garden to feed a whole supermarket of people for a month. And did you buy them? :grin:

Do you have apple trees in your back garden? If yes, could you plant more?
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 11:01 am

"I didn't get where I am today by hiring all male sit com writing teams."

"Great", "Super"

of course, all male teams have produced such rubbish in the past.........can't thinkl of anything decent

PS how is this legal?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... pXjottFBys
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Paul_Reflex on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 12:35 pm

pbeardmore wrote:"I didn't get where I am today by hiring all male sit com writing teams."

"Great", "Super"

of course, all male teams have produced such rubbish in the past.........can't thinkl of anything decent

PS how is this legal?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... pXjottFBys

I’m a bit ambivalent on this as I fully support diversity, but also believe that the best creative teams self-select and taking affirmative action might produce a team that doesn’t gel and get that spark. To answer your last point though, there are quite a few caveats in discrimination law which allow for affirmative action (or positive discrimination-depending on your viewpoint). If you felt that your team needed more women, it would be legal to have an all female shortlist. It’s also ok to only open a vacancy to women if it’s defensible for safety or security (such as employing staff in a women’s refuge). Interestingly, there’s also a caveat for authenticity, so if you owned a Chinese restaurant, you could choose to only employ waiters with Chinese heritage.
Paul_Reflex

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 3:15 pm

The thing is, somewhere in the UK, the next Clement and La Frenais could be standing in the post office queue, buying the stamps to send in their new script. But, no matter how funny and clever that script is, ITV will not even consider it, based on their gender and nothing else. How can that be right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tva ... enais.html

and why not apply this to other creative arts? Lennon and McCartney seemed to get on OK with no diversity? Will record companies follow ITV's lead re pop writing?

utter bonkers IMHO
pbeardmore

Postby Tommy on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 4:30 pm

pbeardmore wrote:
and why not apply this to other creative arts? Lennon and McCartney seemed to get on OK with no diversity? Will record companies follow ITV's lead re pop writing?

Or, flip it around, imagine the creative and artistic genius we could have enjoyed had women been given a break and had the same equal opportunities as men through the ages.

I take your point - sometimes forced equality is difficult (but definitely not impossible) to harmonise with what we perceive as meritocracy, it’s just that women who do show merit haven’t had, and still don’t receive, the same opportunities as their male counterparts.

I agree that to just flat-out turn away a script because it had an all or majority male writing team is a bit much. It could be a really open-minded all male writing team, full of ethnic minority writers or GBTQ writers who just happen to be male.

What they should be doing is encouraging more women into writing, and encouraging scripts written by “equal” teams, rather than the black and white rejection of “all male = throw it away” mantra.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 7:34 pm

You're all wrong: what they should be doing, when looking for that new hit show, is looking at scripts without knowing who the writing team is - so they are blind to gender, race, religion etc - in fact, blind to everything but talent.

Speaking as a consumer of entertainment, literally nothing else matters.
FarnboroJohn

Postby Tommy on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 6:39 am

Maybe you’re right. In an equal society, you’re definitely right. But we’re not, and it’s too easy to say “nothing else matters” because I think that there’s quite a lot that does.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 19 Jun 2019, 3:44 pm

Tommy wrote:Maybe you’re right. In an equal society, you’re definitely right. But we’re not, and it’s too easy to say “nothing else matters” because I think that there’s quite a lot that does.

Nope. Not only does it only matter that comedy is funny, it only matters that the audience thinks it is funny. What the person at ITV thinks about equality and diversity is utterly irrelevant except in relation to audience figures. That's all her job is: to identify the comedy that will pull the audience in.

And the thing is that men and women are different. They find different things funny and they also, importantly, want their TV to provide different things. Women like comedy dramas where comedy suffers at the expense of drama (e.g. anything by Kay Mellor). Men want comedy where the comedy is the prime attribute (e.g. Red Dwarf.) I'm generalising wildly I know, but I have met a few women and they mostly just don't get male comedy: and I don't know any blokes who can be bothered with anything by Kay Mellor.

So Ms Programme Commissioner, ITV should get off her high horse and start looking for some real talent of any description whatever, because what will happen if she doesn't is a continuing haemorrhage of viewers to channels with a better sense of what comedy is about, and the ability to identify writers for women, writers for men, and if absolutely necessary, writers for families before the watershed.
FarnboroJohn

Postby pbeardmore on Sat 29 Jun 2019, 1:17 pm

Glastonbury is the time of year where I turn the grumpy dial to 11 and rant about the death of pop. The fact that the event was opened by Bjorn Again and finishes with The Cure is evidence enough of where the art form is at the moment.

Stormzy spend half of his performance last night pulling his trousers back up but we still had a good look at his white boxers. Perhaps the likes of Mercury, Michael and Bowie missed a trick.

Can I add another anger issue into one post?

Today is brought to you be the words "individual" and "responsibility" - always someone elses fault...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-you ... 1tDOSe0VCg
pbeardmore

Postby Berf on Wed 24 Jul 2019, 6:48 pm

Used to love the Olympics despite the odd doping issue and we all knew the East Germans were cheating but this has killed it for me:

Uzbek freestyle wrestler Artur Taymazov has been stripped of his London 2012 Olympic gold medal after re-analysis of stored samples, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on Tuesday.

Taymazov, whose 2008 gold was taken away in 2017 after a re-testing of samples from the Beijing Games, is the 60th athlete to be disqualified from the London Olympics after the event.
Berf

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 9:36 am

Arron Banks.
Spiny Norman

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 12:51 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49321560
A university is banning the sale of burgers to try to fight global warming.

Goldsmiths, University of London, is removing all beef products from sale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49352330
Chicken boxes featuring warnings about the dangers of carrying a knife have been sent to takeaways in England and Wales as part of a government campaign.

More than 321,000 boxes will replace standard packaging at outlets including Chicken Cottage, Dixy Chicken and Morley's, the Home Office said.

Real life stories of young people who chose positive activities over carrying a weapon are printed inside the boxes.

A good idea, many would think......except for throbbers such as Diane Abbot, who claim it's racist! :facepalm:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 6:09 pm

a good rule of thumb is generally if Diane Abbot disagrees with it it's probably a good idea.
speedbird2639

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 15 Aug 2019, 8:19 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:a good rule of thumb is generally if Diane Abbot disagrees with it it's probably a good idea.

This is how I judge anything Nigel Farage says. Or Dominic Raab. Or Boris Johnson. Or Michael Gove.

I could go on.

Saw a story this week that the Queen had expressed her view on the poor quality of politician there is around these days. And she would know having met them all over half a century.
Spiny Norman

Postby aceyone on Fri 23 Aug 2019, 9:29 am

Not so much as angry but amusing,my local VW dealer is advertising a VW Golf "special offer"

Used Volkswagen Golf S TSI Bluemotion Technology 5DR
Back

Was £12,999

Now: £13,000 | Save: £ 1

How can I resist such an offer ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Postby starbuck on Fri 23 Aug 2019, 9:40 am

I'd try harder to resist if I were you. That deal isn't as good as you think it is!
starbuck

BA cancellations

Postby tankbuster on Sat 24 Aug 2019, 9:42 am

BA posted yesterday on strike 9th and 10th Sep. Today send me an e-mail saying my flight back from Vienna on 8th is cancelled.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic