The Angry Thread...

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Post Reply
MiG_Eater
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by MiG_Eater »

I tend to agree with a lot of what you post CJS, but I think AH is right to pick you up on the race point.

In my view it really cheapens people to split them up by race. Had the group come to an opposite decision I wonder if you would have mentioned their race at all.

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by CJS »

MiG_Eater wrote:I tend to agree with a lot of what you post CJS, but I think AH is right to pick you up on the race point.

In my view it really cheapens people to split them up by race. Had the group come to an opposite decision I wonder if you would have mentioned their race at all.


You're probably right, it was a misguided point, for which I apologise :up:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by MiG_Eater »

Apologising? On the internet?

I think you don't understand how these forums work.

... :worship:

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4315
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by pbeardmore »

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by CJS »

I'm standing in Tesco and have English apples and, right next to them, apples from the furthest point on earth that they could come from. Ridiculous!
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
AlexC
Posts: 6040
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:40 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by AlexC »

I don't think that you can beat English apples for taste, especially Cox, but they are obviously not available throughout the whole year.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by CJS »

AlexC wrote:I don't think that you can beat English apples for taste, especially Cox, but they are obviously not available throughout the whole year.


No, that's true. My :mad: stems from the fact that I had the option - I usually do in fact - of 2 essentially identical products, which I could grow in my back garden, and one of them had travelled 11,600 miles. It's madness.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7656
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:
AlexC wrote:I don't think that you can beat English apples for taste, especially Cox, but they are obviously not available throughout the whole year.


No, that's true. My :mad: stems from the fact that I had the option - I usually do in fact - of 2 essentially identical products, which I could grow in my back garden, and one of them had travelled 11,600 miles. It's madness.


Aah, but could you grow enough in your back garden to feed a whole supermarket of people for a month. And did you buy them? :grin:

Do you have apple trees in your back garden? If yes, could you plant more?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4315
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by pbeardmore »

"I didn't get where I am today by hiring all male sit com writing teams."

"Great", "Super"

of course, all male teams have produced such rubbish in the past.........can't thinkl of anything decent

PS how is this legal?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... pXjottFBys
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

User avatar
Paul_Reflex
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat 31 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Paul_Reflex »

pbeardmore wrote:"I didn't get where I am today by hiring all male sit com writing teams."

"Great", "Super"

of course, all male teams have produced such rubbish in the past.........can't thinkl of anything decent

PS how is this legal?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... pXjottFBys


I’m a bit ambivalent on this as I fully support diversity, but also believe that the best creative teams self-select and taking affirmative action might produce a team that doesn’t gel and get that spark. To answer your last point though, there are quite a few caveats in discrimination law which allow for affirmative action (or positive discrimination-depending on your viewpoint). If you felt that your team needed more women, it would be legal to have an all female shortlist. It’s also ok to only open a vacancy to women if it’s defensible for safety or security (such as employing staff in a women’s refuge). Interestingly, there’s also a caveat for authenticity, so if you owned a Chinese restaurant, you could choose to only employ waiters with Chinese heritage.

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4315
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by pbeardmore »

The thing is, somewhere in the UK, the next Clement and La Frenais could be standing in the post office queue, buying the stamps to send in their new script. But, no matter how funny and clever that script is, ITV will not even consider it, based on their gender and nothing else. How can that be right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tva ... enais.html

and why not apply this to other creative arts? Lennon and McCartney seemed to get on OK with no diversity? Will record companies follow ITV's lead re pop writing?

utter bonkers IMHO
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 5490
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Tommy »

pbeardmore wrote:
and why not apply this to other creative arts? Lennon and McCartney seemed to get on OK with no diversity? Will record companies follow ITV's lead re pop writing?


Or, flip it around, imagine the creative and artistic genius we could have enjoyed had women been given a break and had the same equal opportunities as men through the ages.

I take your point - sometimes forced equality is difficult (but definitely not impossible) to harmonise with what we perceive as meritocracy, it’s just that women who do show merit haven’t had, and still don’t receive, the same opportunities as their male counterparts.

I agree that to just flat-out turn away a script because it had an all or majority male writing team is a bit much. It could be a really open-minded all male writing team, full of ethnic minority writers or GBTQ writers who just happen to be male.

What they should be doing is encouraging more women into writing, and encouraging scripts written by “equal” teams, rather than the black and white rejection of “all male = throw it away” mantra.

FarnboroJohn
Posts: 2263
Joined: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by FarnboroJohn »

You're all wrong: what they should be doing, when looking for that new hit show, is looking at scripts without knowing who the writing team is - so they are blind to gender, race, religion etc - in fact, blind to everything but talent.

Speaking as a consumer of entertainment, literally nothing else matters.

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 5490
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Tommy »

Maybe you’re right. In an equal society, you’re definitely right. But we’re not, and it’s too easy to say “nothing else matters” because I think that there’s quite a lot that does.

FarnboroJohn
Posts: 2263
Joined: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Tommy wrote:Maybe you’re right. In an equal society, you’re definitely right. But we’re not, and it’s too easy to say “nothing else matters” because I think that there’s quite a lot that does.


Nope. Not only does it only matter that comedy is funny, it only matters that the audience thinks it is funny. What the person at ITV thinks about equality and diversity is utterly irrelevant except in relation to audience figures. That's all her job is: to identify the comedy that will pull the audience in.

And the thing is that men and women are different. They find different things funny and they also, importantly, want their TV to provide different things. Women like comedy dramas where comedy suffers at the expense of drama (e.g. anything by Kay Mellor). Men want comedy where the comedy is the prime attribute (e.g. Red Dwarf.) I'm generalising wildly I know, but I have met a few women and they mostly just don't get male comedy: and I don't know any blokes who can be bothered with anything by Kay Mellor.

So Ms Programme Commissioner, ITV should get off her high horse and start looking for some real talent of any description whatever, because what will happen if she doesn't is a continuing haemorrhage of viewers to channels with a better sense of what comedy is about, and the ability to identify writers for women, writers for men, and if absolutely necessary, writers for families before the watershed.

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4315
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by pbeardmore »

Glastonbury is the time of year where I turn the grumpy dial to 11 and rant about the death of pop. The fact that the event was opened by Bjorn Again and finishes with The Cure is evidence enough of where the art form is at the moment.

Stormzy spend half of his performance last night pulling his trousers back up but we still had a good look at his white boxers. Perhaps the likes of Mercury, Michael and Bowie missed a trick.

Can I add another anger issue into one post?

Today is brought to you be the words "individual" and "responsibility" - always someone elses fault...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-you ... 1tDOSe0VCg
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Berf
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu 24 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Berf »

Used to love the Olympics despite the odd doping issue and we all knew the East Germans were cheating but this has killed it for me:

Uzbek freestyle wrestler Artur Taymazov has been stripped of his London 2012 Olympic gold medal after re-analysis of stored samples, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on Tuesday.

Taymazov, whose 2008 gold was taken away in 2017 after a re-testing of samples from the Beijing Games, is the 60th athlete to be disqualified from the London Olympics after the event.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Spiny Norman »

Arron Banks.

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13136
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Brevet Cable »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49321560
A university is banning the sale of burgers to try to fight global warming.

Goldsmiths, University of London, is removing all beef products from sale


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49352330
Chicken boxes featuring warnings about the dangers of carrying a knife have been sent to takeaways in England and Wales as part of a government campaign.

More than 321,000 boxes will replace standard packaging at outlets including Chicken Cottage, Dixy Chicken and Morley's, the Home Office said.

Real life stories of young people who chose positive activities over carrying a weapon are printed inside the boxes.


A good idea, many would think......except for throbbers such as Diane Abbot, who claim it's racist! :facepalm:
большой эрик это пенис
qui puer et deficient

Gone!

User avatar
speedbird2639
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by speedbird2639 »

a good rule of thumb is generally if Diane Abbot disagrees with it it's probably a good idea.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by Spiny Norman »

speedbird2639 wrote:a good rule of thumb is generally if Diane Abbot disagrees with it it's probably a good idea.


This is how I judge anything Nigel Farage says. Or Dominic Raab. Or Boris Johnson. Or Michael Gove.

I could go on.

Saw a story this week that the Queen had expressed her view on the poor quality of politician there is around these days. And she would know having met them all over half a century.

starbuck
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by starbuck »


User avatar
aceyone
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm
Location: Bromley Kent

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by aceyone »

Not so much as angry but amusing,my local VW dealer is advertising a VW Golf "special offer"

Used Volkswagen Golf S TSI Bluemotion Technology 5DR
Back

Was £12,999


Now: £13,000 | Save: £ 1

How can I resist such an offer ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

starbuck
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by starbuck »

I'd try harder to resist if I were you. That deal isn't as good as you think it is!

User avatar
tankbuster
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm
Contact:

BA cancellations

Post by tankbuster »

BA posted yesterday on strike 9th and 10th Sep. Today send me an e-mail saying my flight back from Vienna on 8th is cancelled.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Post Reply