The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby AlexC on Sat 24 Aug 2019, 1:55 pm

I really think that people employed in industries such as airlines, train services and the like should not be permitted to strike, which should be written into the terms of employment that they sign.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby JohnH on Sat 24 Aug 2019, 2:35 pm

Agree with Alex.

Twice in a month I've now had BA cancel flights I've booked.

To save repeating it, see my post at:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84439

A seriously peed off passenger.
JohnH

Re: BA cancellations

Postby tankbuster on Sat 24 Aug 2019, 5:27 pm

tankbuster wrote:BA posted yesterday on strike 9th and 10th Sep. Today send me an e-mail saying my flight back from Vienna on 8th is cancelled.

And now they send me an e-mail cancelling the cancellation after I have booked an expensive replacement flight :wall: :wall: :wall:
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 25 Aug 2019, 3:58 am

People who start multiple topics in different sections of a forum, all of which are about the same subject.
:whistle:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sun 25 Aug 2019, 10:24 am

AlexC wrote:I really think that people employed in industries such as airlines, train services and the like should not be permitted to strike, which should be written into the terms of employment that they sign.

Good show. I'm sure JRM would be delighted to hear you joining his intent to crush workers back into the 18th century. Bring back transportation, the stocks and trial by ordeal while you are at it.
FarnboroJohn

Postby borismorris on Sun 25 Aug 2019, 11:30 am

Indeed,
Whilst we are at it we had better ban School Teachers from striking. That forces other people to take time off. How selfish of them.

Nurses too- we can't let them strike... :sad:

Put yourself in their shoes maybe...
borismorris

Postby AlexC on Mon 26 Aug 2019, 9:44 am

FarnboroJohn wrote:Good show. I'm sure JRM would be delighted to hear you joining his intent to crush workers back into the 18th century. Bring back transportation, the stocks and trial by ordeal while you are at it.

Now you're being ridiculous. :roll: I was suggesting only very limited no strike occupations.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby FarnboroJohn on Mon 26 Aug 2019, 11:07 am

AlexC wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:Good show. I'm sure JRM would be delighted to hear you joining his intent to crush workers back into the 18th century. Bring back transportation, the stocks and trial by ordeal while you are at it.

Now you're being ridiculous. :roll: I was suggesting only very limited no strike occupations.

You were suggesting that ordinary business transactions, rather than the civil society protection afforded by the police and national security afforded by the Armed Forces, were sufficient reason for no-strike rules. Somebody was being ridiculous but it wasn't me: I was merely deploying hyperbole to point up the ridiculousness.
FarnboroJohn

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 12:15 pm

Brevet Cable

Postby Paul_Reflex on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 12:53 pm

I guess this makes you angry because he was given a community sentence rather than custody? If so, it’s worth noting that this offence would not have attracted a sufficient custodial sentence to complete an offending behaviour programme in custody, whereas in an 18 month community order he will be able to complete a programme as well as having enough time under supervision afterwards to embed the treatment. This work could not be done under a custodial sentence with PSS. If I had been making this sentencing proposal, I would likely have made the same call.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 1:55 pm

He was a serving Police Officer at the time, employed to uphold the laws of this land....as far as I'm concerned, they should be held to higher account.
Depending on what he was actually charged under, the sentencing guidelines range from a Community Order to up to 10 years imprisonment, so there was plenty of scope there
Brevet Cable

Postby Paul_Reflex on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 2:34 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:He was a serving Police Officer at the time, employed to uphold the laws of this land....as far as I'm concerned, they should be held to higher account.
Depending on what he was actually charged under, the sentencing guidelines range from a Community Order to up to 10 years imprisonment, so there was plenty of scope there

Not in the real world, a custodial sentence of two years would be the absolute minimum required to undertake an accredited programme in custody for sexual offending behaviour. If the judge or mags had handed this down it would definitely be reduced at appeal. I would have some very awkward questions to answer from managers if I failed to propose a community order (effectively proposing a custodial sentence) to a bench for this offence given that his risk can be effectively managed in the community. I don’t think saying that he was a police officer at the time would be a sufficient explanation.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 12 Sep 2019, 4:05 pm

Hence why I said "As far as I'm concerned, they should be held to higher account."
Similarly, I note that he resigned...a common practice with the Police.
Again, if they're under investigation or have been charged, they shouldn't be allowed to resign/retire -- unless it's changed in the last few years, squaddies & other members of the Armed Forces aren't allowed to ( and there have been instances where squaddies who have left the Regulars have been recalled to Service if they subsequently face investigation/charges ) so why should the Police be any different?
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 8:46 pm

The Sun. Bunch of bellends.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 1:04 pm

No Sun readers...no Sun
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 2:01 pm

It's The Scum.....do you expect anything different?
Brevet Cable

Postby iainpeden on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 2:05 pm

Our government not supporting Thomas Cook with £200 million but then the German government bails out Condor (German airline linked to TC) with £350 million. EU fair trade rules???
iainpeden

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 2:38 pm

Nothing to do with the EU or 'fair trade rules'
HMG could have used taxpayers money to bail out TC ( which is more than just the airline arm ) but - rightly, in my opinion - decided against it.
TC have been on their ends for several years & even the Chinese company which was looking at buying them out backed out of it.
Brevet Cable

Postby Big Eric on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 2:42 pm

iainpeden wrote:Our government not supporting Thomas Cook with £200 million but then the German government bails out Condor (German airline linked to TC) with £350 million. EU fair trade rules???

...and then Thomas Cook would have required another £200m in a couple of years time, and then another £200m, then another..............
Their business model was completely out of date with hundreds of High Street shops that were all paying a fortune in business rates, wages, huge rents etc., etc.
Big Eric

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 2:51 pm

And from what I can gather they didn't actually own anything.
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 7:01 pm

I also heard that the EU would actually have to sign off on the rescue deal before it could happen anyway
starbuck

Postby cg_341 on Sat 28 Sep 2019, 6:03 pm

starbuck wrote:I also heard that the EU would actually have to sign off on the rescue deal before it could happen anyway

The EU didn't have to sign off on the Condor bridge loan so I really cannot see this being the case.
cg_341

Postby parsley on Sat 28 Sep 2019, 7:38 pm

Big Eric wrote:
iainpeden wrote:Our government not supporting Thomas Cook with £200 million but then the German government bails out Condor (German airline linked to TC) with £350 million. EU fair trade rules???

...and then Thomas Cook would have required another £200m in a couple of years time, and then another £200m, then another..............
Their business model was completely out of date with hundreds of High Street shops that were all paying a fortune in business rates, wages, huge rents etc., etc.

Think they would have required more money in a far shorter time than a couple of years (probably measured in months) given the financial hole they were in.The £200m would have been mainly gobbled up by bills not yet paid and those about to come in.
On aircraft alone the figure I saw for 2018 for the monthly lease on an A321 was dependant on age between $115-$380,000 a month and they had 20 plus of those.
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby aceyone on Mon 30 Sep 2019, 4:01 pm

Drivers who do not indicate :mad: is it really too much trouble to flick a switch,it's not like they have to use semaphore !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic