The Angry Thread...

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by toom317 »

This morning on TV, an ad from Shelter, using the plight of NHS workers, to raise cash for their charity.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

F****** unbelievable! Just been down the High Street to get some milk. Get out of the car, and look to my left, there's some woman with a face mask on, turn to my right to head for the shop I'm going to, there's another woman walking down the pavement with a face mask on. I'll wait till she passes by before continuing, meanwhile I look at her, do a double take, then look back at woman 1, the same. Both of them with face masks on, with the top of the mask just below the their noses. :wall:

vandal

Post by vandal »

toom317 wrote:F****** unbelievable! Just been down the High Street to get some milk. Get out of the car, and look to my left, there's some woman with a face mask on, turn to my right to head for the shop I'm going to, there's another woman walking down the pavement with a face mask on. I'll wait till she passes by before continuing, meanwhile I look at her, do a double take, then look back at woman 1, the same. Both of them with face masks on, with the top of the mask just below the their noses. :wall:

I'm used to seeing the masks now - there's a lot of Chinese students in Edinburgh & some have been sporting masks for a couple of years.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

It wasn't the fact they were wearing masks, it was that they weren't covering their noses with them.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

toom317 wrote:It wasn't the fact they were wearing masks, it was that they weren't covering their noses with them.

Like people who go around a supermarket wearing gloves so they don't pick up any nasties on their hands yet at the checkout handle their purse or wallets with the gloves on. When they get home do they put gloves on to put the food away?

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

vandal

Post by vandal »

toom317 wrote:It wasn't the fact they were wearing masks, it was that they weren't covering their noses with them.

There has been a lot of chat about masks. As you say, pointless as they don't cover the nose, but just as bad, an ill fitting mask will just encourage the wearer to touch their face more.

Edited to add- I wonder what would happen now, should anyone wander into a bank wearing a face mask?
Last edited by vandal on Mon 30 Mar 2020, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

vandal wrote:

There has been a lot of chat about masks. As you say, pointless as they don't cover the nose, but just as bad, an ill fitting mask will just encourage the wearer to touch their face more.

I thought it they were pointless anyway. I've used gloves at a petrol pump (then put them straight in the bin) but apart from that, just wash your bloody hands people. Ditch the masks and wash! It's not rocket science. :grin:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Andy'll do

Post by Andy'll do »

Just seen on the news that Juventas f.c players have agreed not to be paid while the pandemic is happening. Fair play to them for that but, just from march to june, the club says it will save £80m !. Its time ALL top clubs stopped pandering to agents/players crazy pay demands. To say most players start off working class, they soon lose touch with reality.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

CJS wrote:
vandal wrote:

I thought it they were pointless anyway. I've used gloves at a petrol pump (then put them straight in the bin) but apart from that, just wash your bloody hands people. Ditch the masks and wash! It's not rocket science. :grin:

The thing with masks is, if they're no use, why do surgeons wear them?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Surgeons wear masks to stop them passing anything on not to stop them catching something.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Surgeons wear masks to stop them passing anything on not to stop them catching something.

Source?

There's a report today that the advice on wearing masks may change soon. It's on the BBC as a result of work done by MIT.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Surgeons wear masks to stop them passing anything on not to stop them catching something.

Source?

From the fount of all knowledge, Wiki
A surgical mask, also known as a procedure mask, medical mask or simply as a face mask,[1][2] is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose. They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles and are less effective than respirators, such as N95 or FFP masks, which provide better protection due to their material, shape and tight seal.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

Source?

From the fount of all knowledge, Wiki
A surgical mask, also known as a procedure mask, medical mask or simply as a face mask,[1][2] is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose. They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles and are less effective than respirators, such as N95 or FFP masks, which provide better protection due to their material, shape and tight seal.

Brian

You know you're busted when Wiki is produced... <groans>

Surgeons do wear masks to stop themselves becoming infected of course. From blood and other bodily fluid splashes.

The point I was making was to counter the blase, oh there's no need to wear masks. And as I mentioned, the need for the wider population beyond those caring for those with the disease to wear them, is being looked at by WHO following the work of MIT.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Out for my 40 minute, solo, walk in the country this morning and saw, as usual, all the black bags of dog poo so considerately tied up then slung into the nearest hedge.

Then, half way through the walk, dropped right in the middle of a footpath gate a, tied up, large yellow bag of poo. Really hope the dog found some fox poo to roll in.

:mad:
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Spiny Norman wrote:The point I was making was to counter the blase, oh there's no need to wear masks. And as I mentioned, the need for the wider population beyond those caring for those with the disease to wear them, is being looked at by WHO following the work of MIT.

BBC Website
mentioned in Friday's daily update:

Asked whether face masks were effective, England's deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam said "there is no evidence that general wearing of face masks by the public who are well affects the spread of the disease in our society"

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:The point I was making was to counter the blase, oh there's no need to wear masks. And as I mentioned, the need for the wider population beyond those caring for those with the disease to wear them, is being looked at by WHO following the work of MIT.

BBC Website
mentioned in Friday's daily update:

Asked whether face masks were effective, England's deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam said "there is no evidence that general wearing of face masks by the public who are well affects the spread of the disease in our society"

Brian

The panel's chair, Prof David Heymann, told BBC News that the new research may lead to a shift in advice about masks.

The former director at the WHO explained: "The WHO is opening up its discussion again looking at the new evidence to see whether or not there should be a change in the way it's recommending masks should be used."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52126735

vandal

Post by vandal »

Some cyclists.

If they are in a pair they are riding side by side.

Riding alone, they are using the middle of the road.

Used to be able to pass them safely by only just going into the opposite lane, now I'm having to go entirely into the opposite lane.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

You have to wonder at the mentality.

GMP were called to 500 house parties last weekend... some had DJs, bouncy castles and fireworks.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gmp-were-called-500-house-18065528

CJS

Post by CJS »

vandal wrote:Some cyclists.

If they are in a pair they are riding side by side.

Riding alone, they are using the middle of the road.

Used to be able to pass them safely by only just going into the opposite lane, now I'm having to go entirely into the opposite lane.

IIRC it's ok (according to the highway code) for two cyclists to be next to each other, although obviously it is courteous if they go single file when they have traffic behind them. As for being in the middle of the road well yes, unless they're avoiding something then get back over!
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

People in the viewing area at Lakenheath.

:mad:

vandal

Post by vandal »

CJS wrote: As for being in the middle of the road well yes, unless they're avoiding something then get back over!

Nope.

Just casually cycling up the middle of the road like it's a Bank Holiday.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Sometimes, I envy people who live in their bubble. To be free of insight and empathy. To focus 100% on yourself and your family. This was published the day nearly 1000 died in the UK (and many many more around the World), a day when frontline workers are putting themselves at risk and doing amazing things. And we have yet to see the full impact on developing countries.... perhaps we should set up a Justgiving campaign?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-522 ... V89K_3gKZY
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pbeardmore wrote:Sometimes, I envy people who live in their bubble. To be free of insight and empathy. To focus 100% on yourself and your family. This was published the day nearly 1000 died in the UK (and many many more around the World), a day when frontline workers are putting themselves at risk and doing amazing things. And we have yet to see the full impact on developing countries.... perhaps we should set up a Justgiving campaign?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-522 ... V89K_3gKZY

Yes, it's not exactly the Blitz Spirit is it!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Yes, happy to be corrected but, from 1939-45, we did not have IT Consultants going on the beeb (yes we had the beeb) complaining about their cancellation rights for a ski chalet. I can't truely express my feelings for the "Alex Hiltons" of this world as I would be in clear breach of the forum rules.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pbeardmore wrote:Yes, happy to be corrected but, from 1939-45, we did not have IT Consultants going on the beeb (yes we had the beeb) complaining about their cancellation rights for a ski chalet. I can't truely express my feelings for the "Alex Hiltons" of this world as I would be in clear breach of the forum rules.

I can understand people's frustrations and it's still a lot of money. But in the context of the wider crisis, it looks terrible.

"I had my holiday all booked for Dunkirk but they said it was full of navy ships and soldiers and our B&B was flattened by a 500kg bomb, it's hardly our fault is it".