Presidential Election 2020

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
ianf

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Post by ianf »

Listening to the times promised for further votes to be released my guess would be if they go his way I think they will call it about 6 pm Eastern time for the networks to take it.
Apparently things are being set up, more secret service are round Biden and he has been reaching out to past senate colleagues on both side of the aisle to try and counter Trump. He looks like he will refuse to concede and a lot of folk fear real violence.
This is the primary reason he ran, I think he is respected by all parties and can bring folk together. Because America is dangerously divided. Unless republicans step out from the shadows and speak up I fear violence for quite some time to come.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 2:28 pm
Actually, not sure Fox has, soz.
The AP called Arizona some time ago, if that makes any difference.

ianf

Post by ianf »

I just checked both Fox and CNN have not called it. Fox has called Arizona, CNN have not. CNN has also just blasted Murdock and Fox. A lot of the divide has been caused with the main networks basically picking a side. Fox are running with Trumps lies, basically it makes them money, but reflects poorly on them too.

vandal

Post by vandal »

ianf wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 2:41 pm
I just checked both Fox and CNN have not called it. Fox has called Arizona, CNN have not. CNN has also just blasted Murdock and Fox. A lot of the divide has been caused with the main networks basically picking a side. Fox are running with Trumps lies, basically it makes them money, but reflects poorly on them too.
CNN's coverage has been very good.

Of particular note - not 24 hours ago Trump had a lead of over 14,000 votes in Pennsylvania. Now he's trailing by more than 5,000.
Last edited by vandal on Fri 06 Nov 2020, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CNN coverage has been seared into the back of my eyeballs over the past couple of days.

I would love to see U.K. elections covered more like that. Less spin and punditry and “what’s the mood in X camp?” And more: data, data, data, data

ianf

Post by ianf »

Agreed, They can be biased too, but not as much. Plus because they have let trump speak, He has condemned himself. I still believe he stopped doing his nightly virus press conferences, because some one realised they were the best party political broadcasts Biden could ever get! They had on recently a top republican lawyer, He is a legend for the republicans and his take on trumps charges was basically come back when you actually have something! or shut up!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

vandal

Post by vandal »

CNN now tearing into FOX News -

FOX telling staff not to call Biden 'President Elect' because of Trump's lawsuits.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Biden inherits an absolute wreck of a country, though. Hatred, division, police brutality, international reputation in the gutter, back-ass conspiracy theorists, a huge gender and wealth and race inequality gap, an economy that’s tanking, and a huge, *huge* COVID-19 issue.

On the one hand it’s the most poisoned of all poison chalices, on the other, it’s the ultimate “we’ve been clearing up this mess left to us by the last administration” deflection card.

CJS

Post by CJS »

CJS wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 6:32 am
verreli wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 2:19 am
Looks like he knows he's lost the election but he can't accept it yet. It's only a matter of time now.
He's a petulant child throwing classic tantrum:

Stage 1 - child realises they are not going to get what they want but plays it down, insisting they are still going to have the sweeties.

Stage 2 - child knows they won't get the sweeties so decides to go off and ask mum, knowing full well that mum will also say no (note - child may later try the grandparents in one last ditch attempt to gain sweeties. They will be expecting grandparents to be on their side, but mum and dad have already spoken to them to clarify that it's a 'no')

Stage 3 - child goes in to sulk mode, doesn't really say much and tries to get the sympathy vote.

Stage 4 - child will have full on, arms waving, leg shaking hissy fit, often in a very public place. Mum and dad will be ready for this and will simply ignore it. Whilst this stage can be the loudest, it rarely lasts long.

Stage 5 - an in vain, final attempt to get anything at all out of the situation. May even involve apologies, backing down and suggestion that even an Milky Way would be better than nothing. Parents continue to not budge.

Stage 6 - child gives up and goes away to hide for a bit.

I'd say we're in the middle of stage 3.
Not just me who thinks this apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... m-meltdown

#pleasecanihaveajobattheguardian
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 3:01 pm
Biden inherits an absolute wreck of a country, though. Hatred, division, police brutality, international reputation in the gutter, back-ass conspiracy theorists, a huge gender and wealth and race inequality gap, an economy that’s tanking, and a huge, *huge* COVID-19 issue.

On the one hand it’s the most poisoned of all poison chalices, on the other, it’s the ultimate “we’ve been clearing up this mess left to us by the last administration” deflection card.
Apart from COVID, Tommy, that’s what Jimmy Carter inherited (along with the deflection card).
Last edited by Ken Shabby on Fri 06 Nov 2020, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

So what do we think Trump’s end game will be? Does he board himself up in the White House with an armed militia? Or does he go on Twitter, declare himself the Son of God and Biden the Antichrist, before launching the entire US nuclear arsenal?
Ken

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Thats the issue. Being humble and admitting defeat is simply not in his vocabulary. Everything he has ever done has been fantastic. From his real estate business, to the golf course to the Whitehouse. Everything (in his mind) has been fantastic and he has never failed at anything. I just cant even imagine how he we will face defeat. From last night, we can see he is clearly in denial. Remember what Thatcher said? 'Defeat? I do not recognise the meaning of the word!'

Plus the nature of the defeat has enabled him to hang on, minute by minute. A landslide defeat would have foced him to confront reality but this is some form of torture for him.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

vandal

Post by vandal »

It's going to be all the more galling for Trump if he loses as he has previously referred to Biden as a 'dumb guy' & the 'worst Presidential candidate in history'.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 3:01 pm

I wonder if Americans think the same, even Democrat voters? Pre covid-19 the US economy was doing well and there was record employment. It's still a great place to be if you like their culture. On the other points, Biden and Obama had 8 years in power before Trump. The things you mention haven't happened overnight and are unlikely to go away in the next 4 either - but lets see.

The covid-19 pandemic is having a profound effect on all aspects of life as we knew it and it's far from over. I'm fascinated to see how Biden handles this. It will be a real test for economic and social theory.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Verreli is Kayleigh Mcenany.....

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Teaboy wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 6:12 pm
?????????? :unamused: :unamused:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Teaboy wrote:
😂😂👏

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Teaboy wrote:
Are you implying he likes wearing dresses?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

vandal

Post by vandal »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 6:17 pm
Teaboy wrote:
?????????? :unamused: :unamused:
Scroll back this thread to page 31.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Perhaps the more interesting race now is in Congress - without a democratic majority in both the Senate and House Biden could be blocked and bogged down for years
Last edited by Berf on Fri 06 Nov 2020, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Teaboy wrote:
:kiss:

T_J

Post by T_J »

CJS

Post by CJS »

Given up:

"The mood at the White House today has been sombre, several Trump officials have told CBS News, the BBC's partner in the US.

Some of the president's aides haven't shown up to work today, and the atmosphere is "very empty", says CBS.

Our own reporter at the scene, Tara McKelvey, has had a similar experience.

"A lot of the desks are empty. It feels spooky. Some of the staffers are outside the White House, talking privately on their mobile phones and walking around," she says."

From CBS, via the BBC
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

As Donald Trump’s reelection campaign tries to raise money for their lawsuits in battleground states, their persuasion tactics have turned from pleading to bullying, as this fundraising email demonstrates.

It’s also worth noting it appears that half of the money raised for the lawsuits will actually go toward paying down the Trump campaign’s debt:

Beat me to it with the Mein Fuhrer!