Presidential Election 2020

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
starbuck

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Post by starbuck »

In true Mr T style I "pity the fool!!" who gets the commission to put together his presidential library. I mean, what are you going to put in it to document and preserve his legacy?

I asked my daughter this on the way to school this morning and straight away she said "MAGA baseball cap and a golf club. That's it."

Every president gets one, even Nixon has one in California which incidentally includes the preserved Army One that he last flew out of the White House lawns on when he resigned.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 10:55 am
Exactly. He’ll just wonder around Breitbart circles making bucks spewing hatred, and none other than the hateful and the damned will really care about what he has to say.

Re. pardoning, there’s lots of talk about this, I have no idea, but to do that, it seems to me that he’ll first need to concede defeat which he isn’t doing, and I don’t think you can get a blanket pardon for all future offences. That’s a blank cheque.

I think you can only pardon people after they have been convicted, rather than pre-pardon them. A person is innocent until proven guilty, and pardoning someone before they’re found guilty goes against the presumption of innocence in Western justice. If they haven’t been found guilty, why do they need a pardon?

And, thirdly, this is all assuming the Republicans, Pence, McConnell, and the Murdoch media like Fox even care about him. He has ceased to be of use to them. They‘ve already cast him off. Fox was calling races against Trump long before CNN, NBC, and others were. Considering they’re Vice President and Senate Majority Leader (for now in any event), the silence from Mike Pence and Mitch McConnell is absolutely deafening.
There was even talk about Trump pardoning himself.

To do that though, wouldn't he had to have been convicted, & that aside, are Presidents not immune to prosecution whilst in office?

If that is correct, then any prosecutions would have to be brought after he left office & if he is no longer President, then surely he can't pardon himself?

I tried googling this & it led me to a piece in the Sun newspaper.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

vandal wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:47 am
Tommy wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 10:55 am
Exactly. He’ll just wonder around Breitbart circles making bucks spewing hatred, and none other than the hateful and the damned will really care about what he has to say.

Re. pardoning, there’s lots of talk about this, I have no idea, but to do that, it seems to me that he’ll first need to concede defeat which he isn’t doing, and I don’t think you can get a blanket pardon for all future offences. That’s a blank cheque.

I think you can only pardon people after they have been convicted, rather than pre-pardon them. A person is innocent until proven guilty, and pardoning someone before they’re found guilty goes against the presumption of innocence in Western justice. If they haven’t been found guilty, why do they need a pardon?

And, thirdly, this is all assuming the Republicans, Pence, McConnell, and the Murdoch media like Fox even care about him. He has ceased to be of use to them. They‘ve already cast him off. Fox was calling races against Trump long before CNN, NBC, and others were. Considering they’re Vice President and Senate Majority Leader (for now in any event), the silence from Mike Pence and Mitch McConnell is absolutely deafening.
There was even talk about Trump pardoning himself.

To do that though, wouldn't he had to have been convicted, & that aside, are Presidents not immune to prosecution whilst in office?

If that is correct, then any prosecutions would have to be brought after he left office & if he is no longer President, then surely he can't pardon himself?
No. That will be down to Biden.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

While Biden is calling on experts to gather to form a plan to tackle Covid-19, the orange blimp is going to hold rallies to whinge like a 3-year old denied watching CBeebies. He's nothing but a loser!

ianf

Post by ianf »

The one thing folk appear to fear about Trump after office is his twitter feed. He has kept senators and congressmen in line with the threat of deselection. He has so many blindly following him they can influence elections. The fear is he will continue to meddle. That said I believe he wont try to help on the pandemic, boost his "legacy" (sic) His number one priority is doing everything he can to avoid or lessen his prosecutions after his immunity goes.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

vandal

Post by vandal »

starbuck wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:50 am

No. That will be down to Biden.
👍

I had read that an option would be for Trump to stand down & have Pence take over for the remainder of the term & pardon him.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

I'd hope Pence wouldn't do that, it would certainly damage his reputation. I get the feeling that trumps arse lickers will be jumping ship to avoid being associated with him in these last few months.

Of course there is nothing to stop the next Republican Pres from pardoning him, IF he ever gets convicted of anything.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

CJS

Post by CJS »

toom317 wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 12:37 pm
I'd hope Pence wouldn't do that, it would certainly damage his reputation. I get the feeling that trumps arse lickers will be jumping ship to avoid being associated with him in these last few months.

Of course there is nothing to stop the next Republican Pres from pardoning him, IF he ever gets convicted of anything.
Given how Pence seems to have gone in to hiding, I'd be surprised if he did pardon him anyway - but as others have said he won't be convicted of anything in time for anyone to pardon him before January.

If memory serves me correctly - which to be fair it may not - I seem to remember various Republicans (poss even GWB) distancing themselves from Trump back as far as 2016. He stood for the presidency under a Republican banner, but I wonder in reality how many 'proper' politicians really thought much if him, even the Red ones.

In some ways the situation mirrors the Labour/Corbyn thing in the UK - plenty of people happy to go along with it when he's 'in power' but quick enough to ditch him as soon as he's gone.

I won't be surprised (and I hope) that the Republican party have a bit of a reinvention in 2021 in order to try and distance themselves from the past 4 years as much as possible.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

CJS

Post by CJS »

In contrast to Lord Trumpington, I'll just leave this here:

Obama was biased and everything, I do realise that, but still - I think there's a reason Biden was given this award.
Last edited by CJS on Mon 09 Nov 2020, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

In some ways the situation mirrors the Labour/Corbyn thing in the UK - plenty of people happy to go along with it when he's 'in power' but quick enough to ditch him as soon as he's gone.
Big difference being the number of Trump supporters out there looking for a leader. Britain never wanted a hard left government.

CJS

Post by CJS »

gamecock wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 1:29 pm
Big difference being the number of Trump supporters out there looking for a leader. Britain never wanted a hard left government.
Good point of course, hence 'in some ways'.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Madame Tussauds have removed Trump's effigy from its normal setting of the Oval Room and dressed it in golfing gear

Hope there aren't many statues of him!

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Zoom wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 1:44 pm
Madame Tussauds have removed Trump's effigy from its normal setting of the Oval Room and dressed it in golfing gear

Hope there aren't many statues of him!
Surprised it was still there to be honest. when we went a few years ago there was a big que of people waiting to have their picture taken next to him as he was sat at his desk in the Oval office.

Without fail every pose included some kind of derogatory hand gesture.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 10:57 pm
If anything jeopardises the US military presence in this country, it's our current Prime Minister, his government and Brexit, not Joe Biden.
Just to illustrate this point, pencil neck geek John Redwood has written a letter to President Elect Biden "warning" him over Brexit. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

God, these idiots are so embarrassing.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 3:02 pm
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 10:57 pm
If anything jeopardises the US military presence in this country, it's our current Prime Minister, his government and Brexit, not Joe Biden.
Just to illustrate this point, pencil neck geek John Redwood has written a letter to President Elect Biden "warning" him over Brexit. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

God, these idiots are so embarrassing.
Yeah, except he didn't.

I'm no fan of John Redwood by any stretch but he never sent a letter, it was just a post on his own blog that's been picked up by the Daily Express and then jumped on by remain based publications.

I've read it and I can't see any 'warning' in there.

It's quite a sad indictment of where our social media frenzied media is these days.

Link here if anyone is interested in going to the source

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

vandal

Post by vandal »

Just been reading Vladimir Putin is waiting until all the legal action Trump is throwing Biden's way is resolved before offering his congratulations.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... 0-54871890

T_J

Post by T_J »

The Trump election-night watch party at the White House appears to be have been a super spreader event for Covid-19.

Ben Carson, the secretary of housing and David Bossie, the campaign legal adviser have both tested positive.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ben-car ... ?r=US&IR=T

Trump has also fired the secretary of defence Mark Esper via a tweet. Rumour has it that FBI and CIA directors are next!

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-h ... ?r=US&IR=T

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I read something about Trump having secuity seals on his voting slips so he could check if they had been tamered with - how true that is who knows probably just rubbish.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:26 pm
I read something about Trump having secuity seals on his voting slips so he could check if they had been tamered with - how true that is who knows probably just rubbish.
For the love of all that's holy please, please stop making comments that rely on information you have read or seen without saying what the sources actually are..........

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Tomahawk wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 12:17 am
IATthenRIAT wrote:
For the love of all that's holy please, please stop making comments that rely on information you have read or seen without saying what the sources actually are..........
I heard that Concorde will be doing a flypast for trump's victory.

T_J

Post by T_J »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
It is the utter madness of the QAnon cult and total nonsense. They believe that Trump is this genius that has set up the Democrats and that the election ballots have secret watermarks. They believe that
this will vindicate Trump and get the election results overturned.

The result is people doing the following. Just dip into the comments section on the video. Just sad that people actually believe this nonsense! Well not really as there are actually QAnon Republican politicians in the US Congress!

See following for the in-depth factcheck.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/11/bogus ... egitimate/

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Tomahawk wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
I didn't say I belived it - did I, just posting some of the crazy stuff in the media who ever said voting was straight forward.
And the sources is that Fun Land Twitter - always good for a laugh.

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 1:34 am
Tomahawk wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
I didn't say I belived it - did I, just posting some of the crazy stuff in the media who ever said voting was straight forward.
Perhaps quoting your source at the time, maybe with a link to the relevant tweet or whatever, would be a good idea :up:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Teaboy wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 12:22 am
Tomahawk wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
I heard that Concorde will be doing a flypast for trump's victory.
With the Vulcan and a TSR 2 :grinning:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 1:34 am
Tomahawk wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Why, and to what end? What value does posting a debunked conspiracy theory achieve? What discussion does it stimulate other than condemnation?

You saw “crazy stuff in the media” which you didn’t believe and thought you’d share it anyway?

One of the ways conspiracy theories spread most effectively is people sharing it, with the comment that they “don’t necessarily believe it, but it makes u think” or “I’m just asking questions, is all”.

If you don’t believe it, and (again, as I’ve said to you previously, Google is your friend) it’s been debunked, and you don’t have any other opinions on it such as, I don’t know, using it as an example to illustrate some of the dangerous stuff that Trump is getting his followers to spew, then why share it?

I have no idea what the value of sharing a debunked conspiracy theory that otherwise has little to do with the conversation without sharing the link to where you read it for the sake of sharing it. 🤷🏼‍♂️