Presidential Election 2020

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
iainpeden

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Post by iainpeden »

Trump did get more votes than any other candidate in American history, bar one.

The point being that although all right thinking people realise what a petulant and ineffective leader he is there are huge numbers who are enthuse day his bluster.

At this point would anybody bet against a Trump being on the ticket next time around?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I'll take that bet Iain.

I think he's finished politically.

Don't forget if he did want to run again he would have to go through the whole Republican nomination shenanigans and I don't think they would buy it a second time around

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

The story of what happened makes sense but have to admit when you are trying to make a new 'friend' this might not be the best way of doing it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54892098

vandal

Post by vandal »

I would have thought Trump would be more concerned about the potential legal challenges that might be headed his way when he leaves Office than running for the Presidency again.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

vandal wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 4:51 pm
I would have thought Trump would be more concerned about the potential legal challenges that might be headed his way when he leaves Office than running for the Presidency again.
IF any of the purported legal/criminal charges which it is suggested will be faced by Donald Trump after he leaves office result in conviction he would fall foul of the law which states that convicted felons may not run for office....

Sounds to me like a good reason for President Biden NOT to pardon Trump. Besides, a President can only pardon Federal crimes, which many of those of which Trump are accused are not.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

starbuck wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 10:02 am
I'll take that bet Iain.
Shall we say a beer? But bear in mind I said a Trump - not necessarily Donald J.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

This is how off the rails America has gone. Having to fact check such nonsense.

Fact check: No evidence that 14,000 dead people cast ballots in Wayne County, Michigan
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fact- ... 1511688107

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

starbuck wrote:
I'll take that bet Iain.

Don't forget if he did want to run again he would have to go through the whole Republican nomination shenanigans and I don't think they would buy it a second time around
he'd also be older than biden is now, so by his own logic would be unfit for office

CJS

Post by CJS »

rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 10:33 am
starbuck wrote:
I'll take that bet Iain.

he'd also be older than biden is now, so by his own logic would be unfit for office
Ha ha, just any sentence that contains those words, in that order, about Trump, is hilarious.

Not your post by the way, just the notion that Trump might have any 'logic' about him - just brilliant :rofl:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Trump by now should be a completly isolated figure. I'm not shocked at all by the way he has dealt with defeat but I am surprised that there are those within the Party at the highest level that are sticking by him. It makes you wonder what they have to hide and what they have to lose personally.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Berf

Post by Berf »

starbuck wrote:
I'll take that bet Iain.

Only if he wanted to run for the Republican Party...

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

He would be a hugely popular independent but would probably split the right wing/conservative vote to the Democrats advantage. He’d raise huge amounts of money.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

pbeardmore wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 1:16 pm
Trump by now should be a completly isolated figure. I'm not shocked at all by the way he has dealt with defeat but I am surprised that there are those within the Party at the highest level that are sticking by him. It makes you wonder what they have to hide and what they have to lose personally.
I'm wondering what next as he has just sacked his Defense Secretary and other Pentagon staff. Let's hope the secret service have the confidence to refuse him access to the nuclear football.

Nero and Rome burning is coming to mind.

roger

Post by roger »

phreakf4 wrote: ↑
IF any of the purported legal/criminal charges which it is suggested will be faced by Donald Trump after he leaves office result in conviction he would fall foul of the law which states that convicted felons may not run for office....

Sounds to me like a good reason for President Biden NOT to pardon Trump. Besides, a President can only pardon Federal crimes, which many of those of which Trump are accused are not.
Which law would he fall foul of? Neither the Constitution nor any of the Amendments say he's disbarred from standing again as President if he's a felon (albeit that the Senate could vote to disbar him from office for ever if they had convicted him on a charge of Impeachment).

CJS

Post by CJS »

roger wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 2:46 pm

Which law would he fall foul of? Neither the Constitution nor any of the Amendments say he's disbarred from standing again as President if he's a felon (albeit that the Senate could vote to disbar him from office for ever if they had convicted him on a charge of Impeachment).
I know, I mean imagine if he was ever impeached or something...

Oh, wait...

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

roger wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 2:46 pm

You would hope that an electorate faced with a candidate who had been convicted, let's say, for tax fraud, election funds fraud or something like that, wouldn't be deemed acceptable to receive a vote as president. But times change and we'll have to see.

T_J

Post by T_J »

There was also international election observers invited in by the Trump administration.
No Evidence of Systematic Fraud in U.S. Elections, International Observer Mission Reports

A team of international observers invited by the Trump administration has issued a preliminary report giving high marks to the conduct of last week’s elections--and it criticizes President Trump for making baseless allegations that the outcome resulted from systematic fraud.

A 28-member delegation from the Organization of American States followed events in several locations across the U.S., including in the battleground states of Georgia and Michigan, both remotely and with observers at polling stations and counting centers.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/trump- ... b0jtdv7F3p

Preliminary statement of the OAS Electoral Observation Mission at following link.

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docu ... SA2020.pdf

CJS

Post by CJS »

T_J wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 8:20 pm
There was also international election observers invited in by the Trump administration.
No Evidence of Systematic Fraud in U.S. Elections, International Observer Mission Reports

A team of international observers invited by the Trump administration has issued a preliminary report giving high marks to the conduct of last week’s elections--and it criticizes President Trump for making baseless allegations that the outcome resulted from systematic fraud.

A 28-member delegation from the Organization of American States followed events in several locations across the U.S., including in the battleground states of Georgia and Michigan, both remotely and with observers at polling stations and counting centers.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/trump- ... b0jtdv7F3p

Preliminary statement of the OAS Electoral Observation Mission at following link.

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docu ... SA2020.pdf
Gosh, no evidence of systematic fraud. Who'd have thought it hey...

T_J

Post by T_J »

The count is still going on in a number of states. Georgia is going to a hand recount once the counting has finished.

Lots of interest in Arizona. The Biden lead is slowly being eroded, but it is unlikely that Trump will have the margins to catch and overtake. Fox News called it days ago for Biden, but many media outlets such as CNN have not.

See following website. You can set preferences for live update notifications via the tab on the right.

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-electio ... anges.html

CJS

Post by CJS »

T_J wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 10:59 pm
The count is still going on in a number of states. Georgia is going to a hand recount once the counting has finished.

Lots of interest in Arizona. The Biden lead is slowly being eroded, but it is unlikely that Trump will have the margins to catch and overtake. Fox News called it days ago for Biden, but many media outlets such as CNN have not.

See following website. You can set preferences for live update notifications via the tab on the right.

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-electio ... anges.html
Surely even someone like Trump can see when he's beaten eventually. And given his skills at spin and manipulation, you'd have also thought he would realise the longer this goes on, without offering President Elect Biden his congratulations (or at least conceding he's lost this) then the harder it will be for him to spin anything positive out of his presidency.

The car crash that is Trump continues...

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Made me chuckle and is the best they could come up with for fraud charges. The thoughts of one man.
Sworn statements from a Donald Trump campaign lawsuit alleging vote fraud include complaints about military ballots going for Biden despite one GOP poll watcher saying he thought those who serve are 'conservative.'

The same poll-watcher also said under oath that he believed independent poll watchers were in fact left-wing radicals.

Among the the things that tipped off the GOP poll watcher: the independents said they wanted to work in Brooklyn or expressed sympathy with protesters who declared an autonomous zone in Seattle.

'As a final note, I did find it odd that, throughout the day/night, I saw a few dozen military ballots be counted,' according to one affidavit accompanying the suit.

'Although I cannot provide specific numbers or names, I can estimate that at least 80% of the military ballots I saw were straight ticket democrat or simply had Joe Biden's name filled in on them. I had always been told that military personnel tended to be more conservative, so this stuck out to me as the day went on,' GOP poll watcher Braden Giacobazzi wrote.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

CJS

Post by CJS »

Trump has 70 million supporters and this is the best he could come up with to back up his 'claims' of 'fraud'.

Yes folks, that number again - 70,000,000 individual people, apparently of their own free will, actually voted for this man to run their country for another 4 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... in-numbers

(yes, I am aware the Guardian is biased, and some of these numbers could be interpreted in different ways. Some of them, though, are facts.)

verreli

Post by verreli »

CJS wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 8:05 am
Trump has 70 million supporters and this is the best he could come up with to back up his 'claims' of 'fraud'.

Yes folks, that number again - 70,000,000 individual people, apparently of their own free will, actually voted for this man to run their country for another 4 years.
That's not quite correct. 70m voted for Trump but many will have made their mark because he's a Republican or they simply don't support a Democrat ideology.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Trump is not, nor has ever been a Republican, in the same way that a tapeworm does not form part of one’s digestive system.

On the vote recounting:
...now that most Wisconsin counties have finished canvassing and auditing their ballots, Donald Trump actually lost 271 votes that he previously had.
https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/w ... tes/33984/

It’s hard not to laugh.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 8:53 am
Trump is not, nor has ever been a Republican, in the same way that a tapeworm does not form part of one’s digestive system.

On the vote recounting:
...now that most Wisconsin counties have finished canvassing and auditing their ballots, Donald Trump actually lost 271 votes that he previously had.
https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/w ... tes/33984/

It’s hard not to laugh.
No it's not...