Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
CJS

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 8:31 am
CJS wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 8:05 am
Trump has 70 million supporters and this is the best he could come up with to back up his 'claims' of 'fraud'.

Yes folks, that number again - 70,000,000 individual people, apparently of their own free will, actually voted for this man to run their country for another 4 years.
That's not quite correct. 70m voted for Trump but many will have made their mark because he's a Republican or they simply don't support a Democrat ideology.
They voted for Trump, end of.

They didn't have to vote for anyone if they didn't want to. They chose Trump as their leader. It cannot be dressed up any other way, it really can't.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

My impression is that Americans are much more entrenched in their political loyalties than the UK. Born a Republican, always a Republican (or Democratic).
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

CJS

Post by CJS »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 9:04 am
My impression is that Americans are much more entrenched in their political loyalties than the UK. Born a Republican, always a Republican (or Democratic).
Perhaps you're right Iain, but the point is each and every one of those 70,000,000 people who voted for Trump did so willingly - they had a choice, however entrenched their views may be.

Thankfully, 4 million more people are so entrenched in their views that they voted for Biden - phew!

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

It's actually worse when you consider 9million more people voted for him this year than in 2016.

What was their motivation to get out and vote this time? Either they thought he's actually done a good job and they want some more or they are really opposed to Joe Biden and the democrats.

It will be interesting to see if his votes increased across the board or in strong republican states

verreli

Post by verreli »

starbuck wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 2:34 pm
Either they thought he's actually done a good job and they want some more or they are really opposed to Joe Biden and the democrats.
Or possibly both? If you've benefited over the last 4 years, have a better quality of life as many Americans have or understand the implications of a Democrat win, then why not vote Republican? Covid was perfect timing for Biden; without it Trump would have easily won.

CJS

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 4:02 pm
starbuck wrote:
Either they thought he's actually done a good job and they want some more or they are really opposed to Joe Biden and the democrats.
Or possibly both? If you've benefited over the last 4 years, have a better quality of life as many Americans have or understand the implications of a Democrat win, then why not vote Republican? Covid was perfect timing for Biden; without it Trump would have easily won.
I'm not so sure, but thankfully we'll never know (every cloud and all that...)

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

starbuck wrote:
It's actually worse when you consider 9million more people voted for him this year than in 2016.

What was their motivation to get out and vote this time? Either they thought he's actually done a good job and they want some more or they are really opposed to Joe Biden and the democrats.

It will be interesting to see if his votes increased across the board or in strong republican states
I wonder if its because he came out and said he was against globalism and the elite - he even said he had enermies in them, mind you thats probably just fake news aswel.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Privately educated, ivy league draft dodging, billionaire tax evading, international hotel magnate & golf course owner Donald Trump against Globalism and the elite. Fake news? yes.

Donald Trump having enemies? definitely true.

vandal

Post by vandal »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 9:04 am
Are we not like that with our Football teams - how many of us support the team our parents / grandparents supported? 😄

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

70 million for Biden, 70 million for Trump. Still leaves 100 million eligible voters who are disillusioned enough not to vote for either of them

T_J

Post by T_J »

Trump could pardon himself before he leaves the presidency. No doubt he will pardon his family members and his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani. Pardons can cover conduct that has not yet resulted in legal proceedings. Apparently the pardons are limited to federal crimes. I expect that he will issue more pardons than any other US president.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-e ... KKBN27O0GG

Trump is going ballistic after his own cyber security experts in the Department of Homeland security gave the thumbs up as to how the election was conducted. He has already fired some of them and the director is expected to be fired.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

T_J wrote:
Fri 13 Nov 2020, 12:50 am
Trump could pardon himself before he leaves the presidency. No doubt he will pardon his family members and his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani. Pardons can cover conduct that has not yet resulted in legal proceedings. Apparently the pardons are limited to federal crimes. I expect that he will issue more pardons than any other US president.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-e ... KKBN27O0GG

Trump is going ballistic after his own cyber security experts in the Department of Homeland security gave the thumbs up as to how the election was conducted. He has already fired some of them and the director is expected to be fired.

Yes,a presidential pardon is limited to federal crimes.Both the Manhattan DA and the New York Attorney General have seperate state law live investigations regarding Trump and the Trump Organisation.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

T_J wrote:
Fri 13 Nov 2020, 12:50 am
Trump could pardon himself before he leaves the presidency.
Before you ask, no, President Trump can’t pardon himself. Not unless he steps down early and asks Mike Pence to do it, which isn’t impossible, but doesn’t seem likely.

That said, Trump has always been of the opinion that he had the power to pardon himself, he’s tweeted that a number of times. He might try.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... n-23000283
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

CJS

Post by CJS »

I doubt Trump would try to do anything outlandish, or speculative, or made up or illegal or anything though...

:tumbleweed:

CJS

Post by CJS »

I don't know what this has to do with anything really, but it's extremely funny (I think).

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s odd how quickly his awful style of public speaking sounds foreign again after listening to Biden make press conferences.

Also, Christ alive, shares in “Hawaiian Sunset” makeup are still rolling high, but no amount of makeup can cover how haggard and exhausted he looks. His hair looks very grey, too. He looks knucking fackered.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 13 Nov 2020, 10:52 pm
... no amount of makeup can cover how haggard and exhausted he looks. His hair looks very grey, too. He looks knucking fackered.
It's amazing how many people who take high office are afflicted with similar symptoms. Is it the stress?; the long hours?; not sure. I recall Theresa May had quite a transformation in her three years.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

CJS wrote:
Fri 13 Nov 2020, 9:20 pm

I don't know what this has to do with anything really, but it's extremely funny (I think).
It is indeed funny. :grinning:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Definately Delusional Donald.

verreli

Post by verreli »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/election-us-2020-54922927
Worth a watch. Interesting to see how the BBC's tone has changed in the last few weeks.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Trump now admitting Biden won?

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

T_J

Post by T_J »

(CNN)US military commanders are anticipating that a formal order will be given by President Donald Trump as soon as this week to begin a further withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan and Iraq before Trump leaves office on January 20, according to two US officials familiar.

The Pentagon has issued a notice to commanders known as a "warning order" to begin planning to drawdown the number of troops in Afghanistan to 2,500 troops and 2,500 in Iraq by Jan 15, the officials said. Currently there are approximately 4,500 US troops in Afghanistan and 3,000 troops in Iraq.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell did not criticize Trump directly Monday while discussing the drawdown plans but warned of the potential ramifications of a rapid withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan, saying it would "hurt our allies."
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/16/poli ... index.html

vandal

Post by vandal »

There was jokes in this thread about hiding the football after Trump lost to Biden.

Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea after all.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thes ... k-war/amp/

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Trouble is when you elect someone with money behind them you tend to get somene cut off from reality and no empathy for real people - all the current presidents are the same including those who have tried.

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 11:16 pm
Trouble is when you elect someone with money behind them you tend to get somene cut off from reality and no empathy for real people - all the current presidents are the same including those who have tried.
"All the current presidents, including those who have tried"? I'm afraid you've got me there, give us a clue...