Presidential Election 2020

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
verreli

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Post by verreli »

I think if he did run again you'd get the highest turnout in USA election history. Neither Republicans nor Democrats would dare not vote given the events of the last few weeks.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Jimbo27 wrote:
Tue 12 Jan 2021, 6:52 pm
I do wonder however whether it would be a smart move for the Democrats not to impeach Trump. If he remains a contender for 2024 wouldn't it potentially cause division and havoc within the Republican party...?
Politically, maybe, but that’s be a huge risk that the party doesn’t just drop him.

But there’s a moral point here; he needs to face the consequences of his actions. That’s impeachment *and* conviction.

And precedent needs to be set for any future nutcases, too. It’s about the rule of law.

He’s a terrorist leader, simple as that.

I’d the Democrats played politics like that, then they’re no better than the current GOP.

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 12 Jan 2021, 9:06 pm
Jimbo27 wrote:
Tue 12 Jan 2021, 6:52 pm
I do wonder however whether it would be a smart move for the Democrats not to impeach Trump. If he remains a contender for 2024 wouldn't it potentially cause division and havoc within the Republican party...?
Politically, maybe, but that’s be a huge risk that the party doesn’t just drop him.

But there’s a moral point here; he needs to face the consequences of his actions. That’s impeachment *and* conviction.

And precedent needs to be set for any future nutcases, too. It’s about the rule of law.

He’s a terrorist leader, simple as that.

I’d the Democrats played politics like that, then they’re no better than the current GOP.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Ironically it's fairly easy to see a situation where some Republicans want him out and some Dems want him in...

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Trump impeached for second time:
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell has just released a statement on the timeline for the upcoming impeachment trial.

He says even if the Senate convened this week, "no final verdict would be reached until after President Trump had left office".

Remember, Inauguration Day is 20 January. The Senate can still convict Trump after his departure, though.

"In light of this reality, I believe it will best serve our nation if Congress and the executive branch spend the next seven days completely focused on facilitating a safe inauguration and an orderly transfer of power to the incoming Biden Administration," McConnell said.

"I am grateful to the offices and institutions within the Capitol that are working around the clock, alongside federal and local law enforcement, to prepare for a safe and successful inauguration at the Capitol next Wednesday."

Earlier, we learned McConnell has not made a final decision on how he will vote in the impeachment trial, saying he intends to listen to the arguments when they are presented.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Many former presidents build a personal library to house personal papers and mementoes.
I suspect Trump's will consist of a worn out i-Phone, a Ronald McDonald mask and a KFC menu.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Former chief of the FBI James Comey last night on Newsnight was very good. He said they shouldn't prosecute Trump as it keeps him in the spotlight, it's better to leave him alone standing on the lawn at Mar a Lago shouting at cars in his bathrobe.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It's a good point but justice is not based on whether the suspect enjoys publicity. We have seen previous cases where the guilty party enjoyed the publicity spotlight but that does not IMHO justify not prosecuting. Trump will love the spotlight and he will turn it into a circus but the priciple that nobody is above the law is a principle worth defending.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

And we need to know which republicans have actually grown a spine, and which ones haven’t.

It’s abject stupidity not to hold the Senate trial now. Mitch McConnell said there isn’t time; but they rifled through a Republican Supreme Court nomination before Ruth Bader Ginsberg was even cold in the ground, and when millions of Americans had already voted just a few months ago.

The exact same people who told Obama not to do such a thing in 2016 (which he didn’t) because it was more appropriate to wait for the election results and have the new president decide on the nominee.

If there is time for the Republicans to rifle through a new Supreme Court Justice, there’s time to hold an impeachment trial.

I disagree with the “fame” point, too. That’s going to exist whenever the trial takes place. For my money it’s better to do it now than let things go quiet, and then give him *extra* fame in a couple of months’ time.

I mean, after conviction (or acquittal, if the GOP support the terrorism), there will be years for him to stand on the lawn of his golf course screaming into the wind.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Maybe the republicans need a bit more time to persuade republican senators that it is in the party interest to convict him even if he is a republican president...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Find BBC Sounds - The Republicans: Trump. It starts with him shooting a Scottish caddie because he was called The Commander -in-Cheat, is put on trial by Lincoln and gets better.
(Radio - the pictures are better)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

This really isn’t normal, and it’s a shame to see how far the US has fallen:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

A) the fact that the situation is so tense that reporters deem that necessary, and B) that the police have to warn about it.

Unimaginable in the U.K.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The very idea of a Presidential Pardon is feudal.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

^

Although in numerical terms Trump’s pardoning a now are pretty much in line with Obama, Bush, Clinton etc. Obviously in content, they’re quite far apart.

But yeah, such a horrid system.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

It's ironic that this famous republic gives powers to its chief last seen in monarchies.

You have to feel for those justice officials that spend years on cases, trying to do the right thing, only to see their president filling the swamp.

Berf

Post by Berf »

iainpeden wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021, 2:44 pm
The very idea of a Presidential Pardon is feudal.
Maybe it matches the 'justice' system then

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

25,000 troops for the Inauguration! Typical Yanks going massively over the top again! :rofl:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Last jolly on AF1 for the dayglo turd after his speech on the tarmac. He should be able to get a job as a contortionist, the way he bent over to blow smoke up his own backside. I'm guessing his niece Mary isn't a fan, judging from her comments on BBC news.
Last edited by toom317 on Wed 20 Jan 2021, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

"He took no responsibility for the things he did and took the credit for things he'd nothing to do with."
Trump's niece, Mary, on the news there. A fitting epitaph.

CJS

Post by CJS »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-55730500

Thanks goodness that (the last 4 years) is over.

He may not be perfect (I'm sure he won't be) but by heck Biden is going to be so, so much better.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Yes, the nightmare that was the Trump presidency is finally over.

Feels a bit like this speech.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Biden’s speech is absolutely excellent. Light years ahead of any syllable Trump has ever uttered or will ever utter.

A triumph of hope, decency, love, kindness, and respect.

You love to see it.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Garth Brooks singing 'Amazing Grace' made my ears bleed, didn't he use to play for Spurs & Man U?

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Was he being deliberately ironic with this bit?? - (taken from BBC website)

The new US president takes a moment to acknowledge the inauguration of Kamala Harris.

"Here we stand 108 years ago, thousands of protesters tried to block brave women marching for the right to vote.

"Today we mark the swearing in of the first woman in American history elected vice-president - Kamala Harris.

"Don’t tell me things can’t change," he said.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 5:06 pm
Biden’s speech is absolutely excellent. Light years ahead of any syllable Trump has ever uttered or will ever utter.

A triumph of hope, decency, love, kindness, and respect.

You love to see it.
Was there anything about sniffing teenage girls hair or inappropriately touching a six year old girl multiple times? :face_vomiting:

The videos don't lie.