President Trump

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
iainpeden

Re: President Trump

Post by iainpeden »

If the Great Donald's a Trekkie, he's not all bad.

https://more.talktalk.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... pace-force
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Just when you think he can't say something that appears more dense. He does.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52733220

Goering to Hitler, September 15 1940. "Oh things are good, we know exactly how many of our planes are at the bottom of the Channel, a testament to good German accounting, unlike those Britishers with their "probables and claimeds"."

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

There is a logic to what he's saying. We've been told that the number of people infected and who have had Corona are likely far more widespread than we've been led to believe.

If the death rate is accurate and the infection rate much, much higher then this is, as we've also been told, good news.
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020, 10:03 am
There is a logic to what he's saying. We've been told that the number of people infected and who have had Corona are likely far more widespread than we've been led to believe.

If the death rate is accurate and the infection rate much, much higher then this is, as we've also been told, good news.
If there is logic which I doubt, its not something he would have considered when he said it.

Its a deflection technique for his base and sadly some will just hoover it up, remember only a few days ago when he was telling us how over rated testing was with the insane story of how it didn't work because an aide that had tested negative suddenly tested positive and he had no idea what happened. Well, all the sensible people knew what had happened....

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Oh indeed Tomahawk, but aside from the dangers of anyone taking his comments to heart, you have to admit we've never had a State leader in history this funny! :grin:

You should listen to Nick Abbot doing his impersonation of the Pres on LBC Friday nd Saturday night, from 10.00pm onwards. :rofl:
FB

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I think it's very possible Trump has some sort of mental issue. The bigger issue for me are the people around him who have effectively covered up for him (in exchange for something). Once he has gone, these same people will be selling their story and we will get a better picture re the true horror of what's going on in his "super douper" brain. This video is from 2018 and he has become worse since then.

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Not long after he was elected an American journalist looked back at Trump’s recorded speeches from 20 years ago, judging how articulate he was and the depth of his vocabulary. The conclusion was that both have diminished significantly over time.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I fear it maybe a Michael Jackson scenario where we know he is "eccentric" but the true picture only comes out later. When all is said and done, we may look back and just be thankful he did start a war. The next question is, will the country be able to hold an election in Nov?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

vandal

Post by vandal »

pbeardmore wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020, 4:48 pm
I fear it maybe a Michael Jackson scenario where we know he is "eccentric" but the true picture only comes out later. When all is said and done, we may look back and just be thankful he did start a war. The next question is, will the country be able to hold an election in Nov?
Thought President Trump has been hitting the campaign trail these last few days - visiting a mask making facility while not wearing one himself & having Guns N Roses' version of Live and Let Die blast over the PA system.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I have to admit, having been in the camp which followed qualified defence of Trump at the start of his Presidency, I've been compelled to think again. I struggled with his language then but thought he was just clever at wrong footing everyone. Now I have to say, he's a complete study. There isn't a handy explanation for why he says the things he does and acts way he does. It's not dementia and I can't imagine.. perhaps some sort of state of mind where he lives in another world all the time. But what is remarkable is, he is President of the United States of America!

FB

verreli

Post by verreli »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020, 8:24 pm
But what is remarkable is, he is President of the United States of America!
Are you not inspired? Prime Minister Finningley Boy perhaps? The thing with elected positions is that they're not forever and in a few months America gets to choose again. For all his faults, quirks, idiosyncrasies, etc, the world hasn't ended. In fact, I'm not sure it would have been that much different if any of the other candidates had been selected.

vandal

Post by vandal »

verreli wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020, 8:52 pm
Finningley Boy wrote:
Are you not inspired? Prime Minister Finningley Boy perhaps? The thing with elected positions is that they're not forever and in a few months America gets to choose again. For all his faults, quirks, idiosyncrasies, etc, the world hasn't ended. In fact, I'm not sure it would have been that much different if any of the other candidates had been selected.
Up until President Trump, I'd never heard of any World leader sending out random tweets at all hours of the morning or claiming just about any criticism of them as fake news.

vandal

Post by vandal »

verreli

Post by verreli »

vandal wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020, 10:04 pm
Up until President Trump, I'd never heard of any World leader sending out random tweets at all hours of the morning or claiming just about any criticism of them as fake news.
I too find him bizarre. Certainly his behaviour is unprecedented. Guess I'm just ambivalent because he hasn't done anything crazy.

People who aspire to those positions generally want to be remembered. I think he'll be remembered long after many of his peers are forgotten. They also want a legacy and I can't think of anything really bad that fits that category. On the other hand, he has established the US Space Force which is the first of its kind. History sealed - just like JFK will always be associated with the moon challenge.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

verreli wrote:
... For all his faults, quirks, idiosyncrasies, etc, the world hasn't ended. In fact, I'm not sure it would have been that much different if any of the other candidates had been selected.
Quite true, but to be fair “the world hasn’t ended” is not really the highest bar for the competence and intellect demanded and required of the president, or any of our world leaders.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 9:55 am
verreli wrote:
... For all his faults, quirks, idiosyncrasies, etc, the world hasn't ended. In fact, I'm not sure it would have been that much different if any of the other candidates had been selected.
Quite true, but to be fair “the world hasn’t ended” is not really the highest bar for the competence and intellect demanded and required of the president, or any of our world leaders.
At least if your expectations are that low you're likely to have been deemed a success.

verreli - take a look at what some of those 'faults' are. They're pretty awful. He's been a car crash of a PUSA and nothing will be worse when he's no longer in charge.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

vandal

Post by vandal »

For a President, it's ridiculous that he has absolutely no regard for anyone's safety - read a report this morning of him touring a Ford factory, again without a face mask on. He did say that he had one on when out of sight of the cameras, but then took it off because he didn't want to give them the satisfaction of seeing him wearing one.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky ... s-11992487

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 9:55 am
The point I keep trying to make is that a qualification isn't required. You don't have to pass a university course in 'how to be president (or PM)'. All you have to do is convince enough people to vote for you and your policies. If you succeed, you get to implement a fraction of what you said or intend, then a few years later have to convince the same people to vote for you again. If you've made peoples lives better, even if you have an IQ of 20, they'll vote you back. Let's see what the judgement of the American people is. Interestingly, the current covid-19 fallout may have a bigger impact (due to consequential unemployment) than all other factors from the last 5 years.

I think a lot of what makes peoples blood boil about him, the things he says and does, simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I've been more concerned with some of our recent PM's because they have a direct impact on my quality of life.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I tend to think that their maybe a link between the IQ of a leader and the possibility for them to "make peoples lives better" plus respect on the World's stage gives any nation greater leverage. The USA is a laughing stock.

Being mentally fit is a "quaification" - there were genuine concerns before this crisis but IMHO, he has gone downhill since then.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 75986.html

If he was an uncle and you had him round for tea or met him in a pub, you would want him "checked over" ASAP.

verreli

Post by verreli »

pbeardmore wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 3:15 pm
I tend to think that their maybe a link between the IQ of a leader and the possibility for them to "make peoples lives better"
Where's the impirical evidence to support that claim? I know some very smart people who have no common sense.
pbeardmore wrote:
...plus respect on the World's stage gives any nation greater leverage. The USA is a laughing stock.
Can you suggest a leader who has leveraged something by not being a lauging stock? The USA has 328m people, a mature education, industrial and political system. We will trade and deal with them because of those reasons, not becuase of who is the current figure head (unless there is a step change in national agenda ala 1940s Germany)
pbeardmore wrote:
Being mentally fit is a "quaification" -
No it isn't. The qualification criteria for being a US presidential candidate is that they must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older. As for the general statement, by what criteria are you measuring 'mentally fit'? Most decision making doesn't have a right or wrong answer, it's a judgement call with consequence - two equally bright people can come up with polar opposite responses.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

verreli wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:
I couldn't be PM Verreli, I comb my hair too often!

I suppose I could be a German Chancellor?! :grimacing:

FB :face_with_monocle:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Just to prove the Yanks don’t get irony:
President Trump on Twitter, “Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH and I, as president, will not allow it to happen.”

CJS

Post by CJS »

More unbelievable utterings from 45 this week.

He's the very definition of cock up, he really his.

The tear gasing of peaceful protesters in Washington DC today, to make room for him to walk to a church and hold up a bible for a few minutes, followed by the :face_vomiting: video the White House then put out was extraordinary. Then you've got him trying to withdraw from the WHO, the man's a menace he really is.

To think that he obviously believes he can do no wrong and that he's dealing with this appropriately is perhaps the most worrying thing of all.

Really, really horrible :pensive:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Berf

Post by Berf »

No - the most worrying thing is not one individual albeit the President - but all those that support him.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Yes, if Pence (indeed any of Trump's team) had an ounce of integrity, he would resign today. The use of tear gas is a new low for Trump. Utterly disgusting. Especially when you consider the "unlocking" demonstrations a couple of weeks ago where protestors were armed with automatic weapons.