Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
CJS

Re: President Trump

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 9:07 pm
CJS wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 8:09 pm
Plenty of people, me included, saw being part of the EU as a part of their identity. But that's changing. I don't like it, but I'll accept it and move on.
Now that's an interesting comment and goes some way to explain why the camps were so polarised.

As for guns in the USA, perhaps the only way to break the deadlock is a referendum? But, when the gun toting cowboy of the old west is still in the national psyche , I wouldn't put money on which way it would go.
Is it really though? Maybe for some, but in the younger generations I'd be surprised if that still held true as much as it used to. I could be wrong though (it has been known...).
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

CJS wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm
verreli wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 9:07 pm
CJS wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 8:09 pm
Plenty of people, me included, saw being part of the EU as a part of their identity. But that's changing. I don't like it, but I'll accept it and move on.
Now that's an interesting comment and goes some way to explain why the camps were so polarised.

As for guns in the USA, perhaps the only way to break the deadlock is a referendum? But, when the gun toting cowboy of the old west is still in the national psyche , I wouldn't put money on which way it would go.
Is it really though? Maybe for some, but in the younger generations I'd be surprised if that still held true as much as it used to. I could be wrong though (it has been known...).
In Colorado and Wyoming (bear and cougar country) people go fishing with a forty-five openly on their hip. Age didn't seem to be a factor. Make of that what you will - my schoolteacher friend on the same birding trip was outraged, but it made sense to me.

verreli

Post by verreli »

CJS wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm
There are far fewer Western movies than previously which reinforce the image but they haven't gone away. Even though the Westerns have declined, gun toting American shoot em up movies haven't. The young are influenced by these and similar images (e.g. advertising) and it becomes a small part of them, even though they may never intend on acting out the character. What middle aged Brit bloke doesn't want to be the soave sophisticated bad ass womanising Aston Martin driving James Bond?

I digress though. Best get back to Trump bashing.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Something we all agree is a worthy past time... :lol:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 10:14 pm

In Colorado and Wyoming (bear and cougar country) people go fishing with a forty-five openly on their hip. Age didn't seem to be a factor. Make of that what you will - my schoolteacher friend on the same birding trip was outraged, but it made sense to me.
In some states in the Countryside if out during the day or at night on foot or on say a Quad, being armed is a necessity. They live in areas where things will either attack or hunt you, they are carried for protection.

....In other news, Trump lost his court case today but declared he won on Twitter.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

incredible stuff
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

T_J

Post by T_J »

Apparently Trump wasn't happy that it was made public. Of the six, at least two of them are Secret Service agents, according to a law enforcement official.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

boff180 wrote:
Sat 20 Jun 2020, 5:52 pm
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 10:14 pm

In some states in the Countryside if out during the day or at night on foot or on say a Quad, being armed is a necessity. They live in areas where things will either attack or hunt you, they are carried for protection.
Yeah. Bear in mind (pun not intended) that many Americans see nothing wrong with eliminating all large predators in the way our forefathers did in Britain: in fact many would love to do so and use traditional "these things are killers howling for your blood" myths to justify their hate. In the areas you speak of, hikers, children playing and many others go into the woods and hills unarmed and come back every day (done it myself).

I mentioned fishing because it has a double whammy of concentrating on the river and the fish rather than your surroundings, and that if you catch fish the smell may well attract predators (which may also be aware that anglers will do their work for them and goal-hang near commonly frequented spots). In other circumstances predators are far more likely to slip away than come after you, cougars being a possible exception in some cases.

In America you are far more likely to be shot by another human, cop or not, or run over by a vehicle, than you are to be killed by bear or cougar, and the universal favourite bogey-creature, the wolf, is also the one with the cleanest record.

verreli

Post by verreli »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 6:19 am
In America you are far more likely to be shot by another human, cop or not, or run over by a vehicle, than you are to be killed by bear or cougar, and the universal favourite bogey-creature, the wolf, is also the one with the cleanest record.
I've seen grizzly and black bears on hikes several times. In all cases they were more bothered about my presence than mine theirs. I did have bear spray (concentrated pepper spray) to hand though. The only time I was fearful of wildlife was on an out and back night hike in Zion national park. On the return leg I came across fresh cougar scat on the trail which wasn't there on the out leg. I didn't have bear spray or even walking poles so for the next 5 miles my senses were on overdrive. Given the choice between having bear spray and a powerful handgun, I'd go with bear spray every time. A gun is too easy to mis-aim in intense times and needs constant refresher training to use effectively.

The most potential danger I've experienced in the USA was in Miami. I was taking some photos of the night skyline in a remote location and a group of 8-10 started approaching me tactically. Given the choice between wildlife and humans, I'd go with wildlife every time.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The US Supreme Court has ruled that President Trump's financial records can be examined by prosecutors in New York.

In a related case, the court ruled that this information did not have to be shared with Congress.

Mr Trump is the first president since Richard Nixon in the 1970s not to have made his tax returns public.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53353953
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

verreli

Post by verreli »

It seems that President Trump has carried out his threat to Germany if they didn't increase defence spending.

F-16's are being transferred to Italy and the previous plan to move Special Ops and Tanking to Germany has been reversed. Great news for the Norfolk economy.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

verreli wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020, 4:39 pm
It seems that President Trump has carried out his threat to Germany if they didn't increase defence spending.

F-16's are being transferred to Italy and the previous plan to move Special Ops and Tanking to Germany has been reversed. Great news for the Norfolk economy.
have they actually said tankers will remain at Mildenhall all i saw was that they would remain in the UK. whilst i think it's unlikely they would uproot the whole operation to Fairford, it's not impossible that they still move to Fairford but just as a whole unit

Mike

Post by Mike »

verreli wrote:
Great news for the Norfolk economy.
So is Trumpy planning to physically move the whole airbase into the next county, or just redraw the Norfolk/Suffolk border?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Mike wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 8:30 am
verreli wrote:
Great news for the Norfolk economy.
So is Trumpy planning to physically move the whole airbase into the next county, or just redraw the Norfolk/Suffolk border?
it's part of the trade deal
chlorinated chicken, hormone beef, and suffolk becomes part of norfolk

verreli

Post by verreli »

We'll have to wait and see what happens. I think this is part of a strategic move by the US and not just political gesturing by Trump, despite my comment. He's just using this opportunity as a geopolitical warning.

My mistake on Norfolk / Suffolk, but as a Northerner, it's all South down there.

...and who knows what backroom political deal has been struck?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

verreli wrote:
Thu 30 Jul 2020, 9:15 am
I think this is part of a strategic move by the US and not just political gesturing by Trump, despite my comment. He's just using this opportunity as a geopolitical warning.
Maybe you’re right, but there are some inconsistencies in the announcements that don’t really tally.

For instance, EUCOM headquarters is to be moved from Stuttgart to Belgium. If the sole motivator was to “punish” Germany for not meeting their 2% of GDP quota, then he’s gonna be incensed to find out that Belgium only spends between 0.8% and 0.9% of its GDP on defence.

I think you’re right about it being strategic. I wonder if it was just an overdue administrative strategic consolidation/reshuffle, and commanders/politicians dressed it up as “Trump’s threats!” to satisfy him and avoid some rash and poorly-thought impulse-policy made at 3.00am whilst he’s on the toilet.

Ramstein, for instance, remains untouched.

Good news for the hobby that personnel and equipment is to stay in the U.K., hopefully remaining at Mildy.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Germany is no longer the front line. Digital warfare is leading to consolidation / focussing of assets so a reshuffle of the board was needed. Moving their HQ closer to NATO HQ is logical too. The UK provides the strategic anchor to cover Europe / Russia, just like Japan does for China / North Korea.

Also, does make you wonder, given the strategic importance of the UK, if the announcement to move from the UK was just a negotiating position?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Donald Trump has called for November's presidential election to be postponed, saying increased postal voting could lead to fraud and inaccurate results.

He suggested a delay until people can "properly, securely and safely" vote.

There is little evidence to support Mr Trump's claims but he has long railed against mail-in voting which he has said would be susceptible to fraud

US states want to make postal voting easier due to public health concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53597975
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Inevitable.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

If he wins with a postal vote it will be interesting to hear the excuse for a u turn.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I hope I'm wrong but I think he might get his wish and it will be postponed. I know it's not up to him, it's up to congress but if you were democrat would you be wanting to take over right now?

It's not just the postal votes that are the issue either, the primaries have already shown how difficult it is to safely operate polling stations and the effect it had on turnout. Then add the potential for winter weather in Nov and longer than normal lines of people waiting to cast their votes because of all the extra social distancing and cleaning etc etc

I would say that unless the US is radically different by the end of August, both sides will be looking towards a postponement until next spring.

The democrats are also in a difficult spot, they need to get the election done whilst Trump is still tanking and before he can claim credit for the vaccine, economic bounce back etc but they also need to ensure that the election can be done safely to ensure getting enough people out to vote to be able to get him out of the white house

verreli

Post by verreli »

I'd agree with all that.

You've got to ask who he's targeting with this message. I suspect he's attempting to mobilise his base if it does go ahead.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Under U.S. law Trump's tenure ends at the end of this year so if the election is postponed he will not continue.

Shame as I was going to suggest a joint letter from all on UKAR suggesting that a return of Air Fete would be a good way to celebrate the special relationship and the continuation of U.S. forces at Mildenhall.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

verreli

Post by verreli »

Laws can be changed pretty quickly if there's a will from both sides.

Some are predicting a crash in the US dollar. It's certainly losing value. At this rate both Biden and Trump will be aiming to lose the election. Who wants their legacy to be an American depression? Interestingly a depreciating US dollar would mean tight fiscal control was needed. If Biden won he wouldn't be able to spend as is the liberal way. Interesting times.

Sign me up for one of those legendary Air Fete burgers.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

If, and I hope he does, trump loses in the election, I wouldn't put it past the petulant little man child to pass all kinds of spiteful presidential decrees during his last 2 months in office.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.