Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
vandal

Re: Presidential Election 2020

Post by vandal »

CNN reporting Biden has taken Nevada.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Heard Trump was out playing golf today. Wonder if he ended up in a bunker...

verreli

Post by verreli »

I'm hoping Biden starts rolling out policy soon after inauguration in January, especially economic. One aspect that may affect us on this forum is Mildenhall. Biden may want to rebuild bridges with Germany and reverse the recent decision to close air ops at Spang and close Mildenhall after all. Worst case is basing F-35's at Spang rather than sending them to Lakenheath. It still makes sense to consolidate F16 ops. i.e. we could lose F-35s, ospreys, MC130s and tankers. All possible at this stage.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

verreli wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 7:55 pm

All possible at this stage.

Based on what? I thought the MH staying open had already been signed?

If we’re talking military; a minor flip side is that Trump was pushing really hard for South Korea to purchase MH-60Rs to compensate for the military aid the US gives SK, despite their unsuitability for their current ships, and the already-existing fleet of AW Wildcats. It nixed the otherwise dead-certaim follow-up order of another batch of Wildcats from Yeovil.

Without any export orders, the currently pretty dead Wildcat production line there would very swiftly end for good after the weapons trials for the Royal Navy finish.

South Korea kept quite quiet with their ambitions re a follow-up order; perhaps to See what the result of the election would be.

All conjecture, of course, but it might be a case of swings and roundabouts. A follow-up order would keep the production line open, and keep skills, jobs, and World-beating expertise at the Yeovil-plant. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s difficult to take in the full scale of the Biden victory. A victory of fact, truth, decency, dignity and honour over lies, conspiracy, innuendo, violence, sexual offences, racism, nastiness, and hearsay.

America has done so much this week that will be remembered on the right side of history,

Trump, uncommonly unseated after a single term, and unseated by what appears to be a significant margin, will be forgotten. Hopefully, prosecuted for his tax evasion at the very *very* least. But it’s also worth reflecting not only on how much of a bellend Trump was, but how ineffectual he was. When push came to shove, and with the legislative control he had, and an economically strong country with no wars to fight, he achieved remarkably little: he didn’t drain the swamp, he didn’t build his wall, he didn’t, really, do anything much, except for befriend dictators and despots.

No surprises, though, given that he spent a third of his whole presidency golfing.

Biden is no perfect candidate by a long way. He has a huge mountain to climb ahead of him. Like when Obama inherited a global financial crisis, Biden has inherited a country absolutely shat-through with COVID-19 and the economic chaos that follows. He won’t be perfect, he will make decisions and mistakes that I or many others won’t agree with.

But we no longer have to worry about a man who sends all-caps tweets at 3.00 in the morning having access to the nuclear codes, a man who is driven solely by his own ego, a man who cares nothing but the strength of orange pigment in his makeup.

America, and the world, is better for Biden’s election today.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

verreli wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 7:55 pm
I'm hoping Biden starts rolling out policy soon after inauguration in January, especially economic. One aspect that may affect us on this forum is Mildenhall. Biden may want to rebuild bridges with Germany and reverse the recent decision to close air ops at Spang and close Mildenhall after all. Worst case is basing F-35's at Spang rather than sending them to Lakenheath. It still makes sense to consolidate F16 ops. i.e. we could lose F-35s, ospreys, MC130s and tankers. All possible at this stage.
If anything jeopardises the US military presence in this country, it's our current Prime Minister, his government and Brexit, not Joe Biden. Were we still a top-tier member of the largest trading block in the world, with access to the single market and customs union, they'd have no need to relocate anything and their ambition to repair/restore relations with Germany and the other countries of the EU would naturally include us. As I've said on here numerous times before, Brexit casts us out on our own, and the voters and government of this country did that to ourselves. That's not Joe Biden's fault.

We're even more of an insignificant little island now than we already were - a Biden administration won't take our side over Ireland's if we breach international law with the GFA, and we've burned our bridges and left the EU, so we're tearing ourselves apart and jeopardising our own Union with no friends on either side of the Atlantic. That's on voters like you that thought it was a good idea.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 10:50 pm
It’s difficult to take in the full scale of the Biden victory. A victory of fact, truth, decency, dignity and honour over lies, conspiracy, innuendo, violence, sexual offences, racism, nastiness, and hearsay.

America has done so much this week that will be remembered on the right side of history,

Trump, uncommonly unseated after a single term, and unseated by what appears to be a significant margin, will be forgotten. Hopefully, prosecuted for his tax evasion at the very *very* least. But it’s also worth reflecting not only on how much of a bellend Trump was, but how ineffectual he was. When push came to shove, and with the legislative control he had, and an economically strong country with no wars to fight, he achieved remarkably little: he didn’t drain the swamp, he didn’t build his wall, he didn’t, really, do anything much, except for befriend dictators and despots.

No surprises, though, given that he spent a third of his whole presidency golfing.

Biden is no perfect candidate by a long way. He has a huge mountain to climb ahead of him. Like when Obama inherited a global financial crisis, Biden has inherited a country absolutely shat-through with COVID-19 and the economic chaos that follows. He won’t be perfect, he will make decisions and mistakes that I or many others won’t agree with.

But we no longer have to worry about a man who sends all-caps tweets at 3.00 in the morning having access to the nuclear codes, a man who is driven solely by his own ego, a man who cares nothing but the strength of orange pigment in his makeup.

America, and the world, is better for Biden’s election today.
I'd love to agree but my experience so far on my multi-national social groups is rapidly declining relations and escalating hostility.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 10:05 pm
Based on what? I thought the MH staying open had already been signed?
Speculation. Nothing more. However, no agreement is sacrosanct when there's a new administration. We know Trump had bad relations with Merkel and had a problem with their below par NATO contribution. Germany were vocal about being unhappy that the US were withdrawing military presence. Trump was also hostile to the EU. If (speculation) Biden wants to change foreign policy and make a gesture to Merkel/EU, reversing what is seen to be a Trump policy decision is an easy win. Biden has also been ambivalent towards the UK previously including when he was vice president. I believe his Irish ancestry is significant here. While there's unlikely to be a tectonic shift in relations, it's possible (speculation) that US foreign policy will shift during the next few years (highly likely) and the special relationship will be a little less special. Nothing in his history or the recent past suggests US/UK relations will flourish under Biden. I'm happy to be wrong.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 10:50 pm
he didn’t, really, do anything much, except for befriend dictators and despots.
Not really surprising when you consider he can't even bring himself to show Joe Biden round his new digs.

verreli

Post by verreli »

vandal wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 1:03 am
Not really surprising when you consider he can't even bring himself to show Joe Biden round his new digs.
Be realistic. The election was only called yesterday. I also think Biden may know the place having spent 8 years with his offices located on the White House grounds.

vandal

Post by vandal »

verreli wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 8:03 am
vandal wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 1:03 am
Be realistic. The election was only called yesterday. I also think Biden may know the place having spent 8 years with his offices located on the White House grounds.
I know that, it's more that we have in Trump a World Leader who even now is still filing lawsuits, & won't accept defeat. How is it acceptable for someone in Trump's position to behave like this? He lost, & as difficult as that may well be for him to accept, his behaviour toward Biden is just downright embarrassing.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Not 2020 but for those with an interest in American politics, do take time to listen to the Frost Tapes podcast; in particular the one with the Frost/Nixon interview. Trump certainly isn't the first "badun'"
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Berf

Post by Berf »

With the highest number of votes in history bar one I would not be surprised if he stood again in 2024, as a republican or independent. It must be what the republican's fear as it would split their vote if they did not endorse him.

ianf

Post by ianf »

His tentacles are deep in the republican party. There is great fear he will continue to control it. Also there is talk of him setting up his own TV network trump TV. That said there is a very long line of bodies and folk wanting to prosecute him. So hopefully he is going to be very busy with that.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I could be wrong, I usually am, but personally I think he’s toast.

Republicans and the Murdoch Media have already cast him off. He’ll still be around for those who want to hear from him, but we don’t have to care anymore.

My prediction is that he’ll become an Alex Jones type - much more lucrative, and no consequences.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 5:04 pm
I could be wrong, I usually am, but personally I think he’s toast.

Republicans and the Murdoch Media have already cast him off. He’ll still be around for those who want to hear from him, but we don’t have to care anymore.

My prediction is that he’ll become an Alex Jones type - much more lucrative, and no consequences.
I don't know Tommy, I can't see him on The One Show sofa any time soon, and to be honest I think I'd rather watch Alex Jones anyway :rofl:

I'm with you - I suspect/hope he will all disappear to those of us who don't feel a need to follow him on social media.

My guess would be the Republican party will do everything in their power to ditch him too.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

He is an ex,who wants contact with an ex? :grinning: :grinning:

CJS

Post by CJS »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 10:06 pm
He is an ex,who wants contact with an ex? :grinning: :grinning:
I keep introducing my wife to people as "my ex girlfriend" but for some reason she doesn't like it :dunno:

He'll be gone soon enough. He should be gone to prison, but I expect unfortunately that he'll be allowed to get away with the lies, tax evasion and what not that would land anyone else there.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

ianf wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 2:42 pm
That said there is a very long line of bodies and folk wanting to prosecute him. So hopefully he is going to be very busy with that.
doesn't the pres normally spend some of his last few months pardoning people?
imagine if he stepped down, let Pence ride out the transition and Pence pardoned him of all potential criminal acts

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

You can’t pre-pardon him. Wait till he’s gone.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Rockford, he has begun sacking folk who are in environment type jobs and put wreckers in for a few months. He cannot parole folk who have not been convicted yet. So his son who is going through court at the moment cannot be paroled. I also read something I had not realised. In the Mueller investigation Mueller was asked why certain things had not been brought against the president. He cited the president was currently immune. He was asked when the President left office did the charges still apply and could they be brought up? He said yes. So he may be charged over the Russian thing yet!
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

gamecock wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 9:52 am
You can’t pre-pardon him. Wait till he’s gone.
let's hope not. would make a mockery of the system if they could

roger

Post by roger »

Presidential pardons only affect federal crimes, so the New York AG's investigations of state crimes would continue.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Farage is a good model for the future role Trump could play. Just jumping on any right wing band wagon that helps him stay in the limelight.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Exactly. He’ll just wonder around Breitbart circles making bucks spewing hatred, and none other than the hateful and the damned will really care about what he has to say.

Re. pardoning, there’s lots of talk about this, I have no idea, but to do that, it seems to me that he’ll first need to concede defeat which he isn’t doing, and I don’t think you can get a blanket pardon for all future offences. That’s a blank cheque.

I think you can only pardon people after they have been convicted, rather than pre-pardon them. A person is innocent until proven guilty, and pardoning someone before they’re found guilty goes against the presumption of innocence in Western justice. If they haven’t been found guilty, why do they need a pardon?

And, thirdly, this is all assuming the Republicans, Pence, McConnell, and the Murdoch media like Fox even care about him. He has ceased to be of use to them. They‘ve already cast him off. Fox was calling races against Trump long before CNN, NBC, and others were. Considering they’re Vice President and Senate Majority Leader (for now in any event), the silence from Mike Pence and Mitch McConnell is absolutely deafening.