Parliament under attack?

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Parliament under attack?

Post by boff180 »

Alex, that is who Channel 4 also named and since confirmed as behind bars.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

boff180 wrote:Alex, that is who Channel 4 also named and since confirmed as behind bars.

It's been confirmed? This is a fast moving event. Actually thinking about it, 'event' sounds inappropriate.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

One thing is clear, we have an MP to be very proud of in Tobias Ellwood and all the emergency services too.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

jag636 wrote:I notice nothing has been said as to who the attacker is which is strange in its self adding speculation as to their country of origin

I bet whoever his neighbors, and family, are aware of who he is by the large police presence that arrived this evening. Clearly, the guy was a deranged idiot. If he had half a brain he would have done the same thing at 08:30 when the bridge would have been packed with people.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

boff180 wrote:Alex, that is who Channel 4 also named and since confirmed as behind bars.

Whoever made the initial claim at C4 will be scouring the jobs pages tomorrow. First rule of journalism, check and double check...

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Years ago Dan I would've agreed but now most news outlets believe that it is more important to be first than to be correct - they believe you can always apologise if subsequently proven to be wrong.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

farnboroughrob wrote:I bet whoever his neighbors, and family, are aware of who he is by the large police presence that arrived this evening. Clearly, the guy was a deranged idiot. If he had half a brain he would have done the same thing at 08:30 when the bridge would have been packed with people.

]I think all our thoughts should be with the victims, not your better plan.

farnboroughrob wrote:I think all our thoughts should be with the victims.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

jag636

Post by jag636 »

I agree with an earlier post that has mentioned the very open reporting on camera of the real time or near to real time media scrum that is still going on, we are to open with news in this country giving those who want the chance to expand there terror to us all success. My heart goes out to those either injured or killed when this morning they were alive and looking forward to today and beyond, why?
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

BBC reporting Police spokesman Acting Deputy Commissioner Rowley says 4 dead and 40 injured, tragic.

Policeman murdered unarmed.

Islamist Terror motive suspected
Last edited by TKK 140 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

TKK 140 wrote:One thing is clear, we have an MP to be very proud of in Tobias Ellwood and all the emergency services too.

This ^ Brave actions from an MP during a potentially ongoing attack :clap: Also MP Mary Creagh who stepped into alert Westminster tube staff, good stuff from our Members of Parliament :up:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

TKK 140 wrote:One thing is clear, we have an MP to be very proud of in Tobias Ellwood and all the emergency services too.

From what one of his colleagues said, he removed himself from a place of safety to do his bit for someone who protected us all!
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

All I will say on this matter is, my thoughts are with those families who have lost a loved one in this horrific attack.
Card carrying aviation addict!

vandal

Post by vandal »

Thoughts and prayers with those who have been affected by yesterdays events.

Is there any reason - any legitimate reason at all that someone would upload a video showing the moment a woman 'Falls into the Thames during attack', and even worse, Media think it's acceptable that it's there for all to see!

No one needs to see that, nor do I think any decent person would want to view it. It's tragic enough the woman ended up in the Thames in the first place, without the World being able to view every terrifying moment she endured.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And in Antwerp* today....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39369202
A French national of North African origin has been arrested in the Belgian city of Antwerp on suspicion of driving at a crowd, officials say.

A car was driven "at high speed" on De Meir, the northern city's main shopping street, before it was intercepted. There were no reports of any injuries.
Knives, a non-lethal gun and some unidentifiable liquid were found in the car, prosecutors say.
(snip)
The car was spotted at around 11:00 (10:00 GMT), Antwerp police chief Serge Muyters said.

"The vehicle was driving at high speed on De Meir," he said. "Our army colleagues spotted it and tried to bring the vehicle to a halt.
"But the driver broke free and drove through the red light towards the port quays."

Police were contacted, he said, and immediately sent a rapid response team, intercepting the vehicle and driver.
"The suspect, a man of North African origin, was immediately arrested," he said.

The federal prosecutor's office, which has taken over the investigation, named the suspect as "Mohamed R", a 39-year-old French national and resident of France.

"Different arms were found in the boot - bladed weapons, a riot gun and a container of liquid that is still unidentifiable," the prosecutor's statement also said.
An army bomb disposal unit was sent to the scene to inspect the vehicle.

* edited because I originally wrote Amsterdam not Antwerp ( because of the previous terrorist attacks there )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jag636

Post by jag636 »

Still the facts roll out and we at least know who the terrorist was, I'm glad they shot him but sad that he wasn't shot before he ruined the lives of those he hit or killed. People who came to our country to visit never to return home this is very upsetting, my thoughts again go out to all involved and praise to those confronted this low life scum and did instant justice.
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I don't agree with much of what Simon Jenkins says but I think he's right here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/24/coverage-westminster-attack-media-politicians

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I posted that link to some of my friends and on my Facebook page, the point is well made IMHO,

some parts of the media seem to almost enjoy and revel in these type of events with big name TV journos rushing from their news desks to be at the actual site (totally meaningless) plus specially extended editions of the News and grabbing witnesses for first hand accounts before the impact has still to set in.

MPs queing up to tell their part of the story (anyone see Grant Schapps?) plus mobile phone footage from all angles etc etc,

if this is what one guy with a knife can do, then how will we react when the next, more sereous attack comes?

I know it sounds harsh but, I think the casulaties were relatively low compared to how bad it could have been. If he had had a machine gun, and/or someone to back him up, the casulaties within Parliament would have been much higher. Just pure luck that the defence ministers body guard was in the area. Lots of spin going on re the Met and covering up/playing down the obvious gaps in security despite all of the assurances and being on a "severe threat" level. According the Newsnight, the two unarmed police at the gate did not even have Tazers!!
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

pbeardmore wrote:According the Newsnight, the two unarmed police at the gate did not even have Tazers!!

"Proudly unarmed" I believe is the phrase a large number of police men and women have been using on social media over the last few days.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Being an infrequent user of Westminster tube station, it crosses my mind as I pass through that it's a potential target. Walking out and up on to the Embankment near Portcullis House, my walk then takes me over Westminster Bridge to cross the river heading roughly in the direction of Victoria.

I used to exit the tube by The Palace of Westminster, then on via Victoria Gardens and over Lambeth Bridge. The steel barriers and the tourist congestion being the main reason for changing my route in recent years.

Westminster, Lambeth Bridge and the The Palace of Westminster area need substantial, heavy duty security barriers to protect tourists and pedestrians. Police should be armed to the teeth and work in pairs. In Wednesday's attack it's highly likely that the attacker would have been stopped once inside the grounds, and perhaps, at least one less victim would be dead.

It's all so easy for the calls that say this is normal and we have to live with it. It's not and we don't, and although the security forces do a great job, they need more resource to root out the would be terrorists.
Last edited by TKK 140 on Sat 25 Mar 2017, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Phantom 892

Post by Phantom 892 »

Ewart wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:Why give the terrorist oxygen and medical aid, should just give him another bullet.

Or else we become as bad as them.

Hardly. He killed innocent civilians and a police officer; You'd be finishing off an evil killer who's innocent of nothing!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

There are definitely questions to be answered on security at Westminster. It seems luck that some who were proudly armed (and might be receiving a George Cross soon) were able to stop the attacker dead in his tracks. Quite chilling footage of the chaos on Sky last night.

http://news.sky.com/story/westminster-attack-british-boxer-frazer-clarke-filmed-crazed-man-10814466

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Home Secretary Amber Rudd on the Andrew Marr show this morning speaking on the issue of ISP's toleration of extreme websites and contents. "I prefer getting the ISP's together and a voluntary agreement which they can deal with". Staggering, the ISP's have done very little to date. The government must legislate! It's aversion to creating primary law, enacted to protect the population is quite staggering.
Jeremy, bless him, on Preston on Sunday, everyone must be nice to everyone and it's all about understanding. Not sure who's weaker him or Rudd.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

There has been a massive PR effort re the Met and the Home Office to play down the security lapse(s). Heads should roll and they may but it will all be behind closed doors.

Even if this was a "lone wolf" attack, the intel that he has provided (and the media and us via all of the video footage etc) shows an almost amateurish attitude at management level. If we had seen multiple, armed attackers (with a more cohesive plan) , they clearly would have made progress deeper into the grounds and made contact with many more victims. It was pure luck that really assisted (plus the incredible bravery of the unarmed officer).

You also have to consider how easy it seems to create a diversionary attack. One guy with a knife at one gate and look at the resources that are plowed into the area within 20 mins or so.

There is just no excuse considering how long we have had to plan for such an attack and you have to wonder about the competance of those making key decisions.

On a wider note, if we can't protect Parliament effectively, then what is the situation at other locations?
Last edited by pbeardmore on Sun 26 Mar 2017, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

pbeardmore wrote:There has been a massive PR effort re the Met and the Home Office to play down the security lapse(s). Heads should roll and they may but it will all be behind closed doors.

Even if this was a "lone wolf" attack, the intel that he has provided (and the media and us via all of the video footage etc) shows an almost amateurish attitude at management level. If we had seen multiple, armed attackers (with a more cohesive plan) , they clearly would have made progress deeper into the grounds and made contact with many more victims. It was pure luck that really assisted (plus the incredible bravery of the unarmed officer). There is just no excuse considering how long we have had to plan for such an attack and you have to wonder about the competance of those making key decisions.

On a wider note, if we can't protect Parliament effectively, then what is the situation at other locations?

A "lone wolf" we're told.

How come all the arrests in Birmingham and London then?

We're a nation of mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed ****.