General Election 2017

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Finningley Boy

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Finningley Boy »

DerekF wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:All court Jesters, Jugglers, clowns and fiddlers this way to vote for Labour, Greens, SNP etc... :wink:

FB :biggrin:

Good enough for Stephen Hawking, good enough for me.

'e doesn't know everything matey! :wink:

I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Whoever compiled the list left off the diehards Tony Robinson and Billy Bragg?

They always get trotted out as labour supporters.

In the interests of fairness can we also chuck in John Cleese for the lib dems (remember them?)

Russ

Post by Russ »

TKK 140 wrote:
Russ wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:Danny DeVito?! Does he live over here? Will he be voting? :dizzy:

Nope. Nor Mark Ruffalo or Rob Delaney, but they've all come out in support of Labour.

Danny DeVito endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Prime Minister using the hashtag #grime4Corbyn

And that's relevant how? Of course a rather one sided list you published, perhaps a matter for the courts :lmao:

As I said originally...

Russ wrote:Entirely trivial, but quite funny. I clocked an article on which celebs have come out in support of each party. Mindful celeb endorsements mean nothing (just look a the US election), but the Tory list is well, undesirable to put it mildly - like an axis of evil. :grin:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/celebrities-supporting-2017-general-election-10546843

If you can disprove the list or indeed find some more "celebrities" who are supporting the Tories, please enlighten us all?!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Russ wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:Spelling Teresa rather than Theresa is important or should be to a pedant who picks out others. Smacks of hypocrisy.

It is important. What happens if he was looking for "Teresa May" on the ballot paper, but couldn't find her and ended up voting for Jeremy Corbyn?

Kwight rite Russ, my diffikullti wiff mi spellin shud prifent me from vottting in the erection! :oops:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

TKK 140 wrote:
Russ wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:Danny DeVito?! Does he live over here? Will he be voting? :dizzy:

Nope. Nor Mark Ruffalo or Rob Delaney, but they've all come out in support of Labour.

Danny DeVito endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Prime Minister using the hashtag #grime4Corbyn

And that's relevant how? Of course a rather one sided list you published, perhaps a matter for the courts :lmao:

You're right it's not really relevant, much like 99% of your posts. (I may have rounded this statistic upwards somewhat, like the Tories 'extra police on the street').

Russ

Post by Russ »

starbuck wrote:Whoever compiled the list left off the diehards Tony Robinson and Billy Bragg?

They always get trotted out as labour supporters.

In the interests of fairness can we also chuck in John Cleese for the lib dems (remember them?)

Certainly wasn't a comprehensive list, off the top of my head could have added Stewart Lee, Stephen Fry and James O'Brien as well.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Russ wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:Spelling Teresa rather than Theresa is important or should be to a pedant who picks out others. Smacks of hypocrisy.

It is important. What happens if he was looking for "Teresa May" on the ballot paper, but couldn't find her and ended up voting for Jeremy Corbyn?

Kwight rite Russ, my diffikullti wiff mi spellin shud prifent me from vottting in the erection! :oops:

You see this is what happens as a result of the cuts to the education budget. Did you have an unqualified teacher at a free school by any chance? :wink:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I think I remember reading somewhere about Jimmy Krankie being a strong supporter of Scottish independence as well.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Finningley Boy wrote:
DerekF wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:All court Jesters, Jugglers, clowns and fiddlers this way to vote for Labour, Greens, SNP etc... :wink:

Oh I think he does.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Russ wrote:If you can disprove the list or indeed find some more "celebrities" who are supporting the Tories, please enlighten us all?!

A number of newspapers have published various lists over the past week or so.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Russ

Post by Russ »

DerekF wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:
DerekF wrote:

Oh I think he does.

Yes, I think I'd be inclined to agree with Professor Hawking's opinions over Katie Hopkins. :lol:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Russ wrote:By comparison and in a similar time-frame, has everyone forgotten that at Eton, David Cameron put his penis in a dead pigs mouth? That's perfectly acceptable and easily forgotten of course.

Duh, of course he did, how else was he supposed to gain membership of the Piers Gaveston Society if he didn't ? Tell me that ?

What alternative did he have ?

I don't know, if you lefties spent less time taking drugs and more time thinking before posting.......
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Russ wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
Russ wrote:

As I said originally...

Russ wrote:Entirely trivial, but quite funny. I clocked an article on which celebs have come out in support of each party. Mindful celeb endorsements mean nothing (just look a the US election), but the Tory list is well, undesirable to put it mildly - like an axis of evil. :grin:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/celebrities-supporting-2017-general-election-10546843

If you can disprove the list or indeed find some more "celebrities" who are supporting the Tories, please enlighten us all?!

Gary Barlow, which pretty much means you could add the other 2 to the list as well.

Take that Russ.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Back to the politics.
For the first time since 1975 when I turned 18 I still cannot make up my mind on who to vote for; it's much more, this time around, who I don't trust to take power than who I do.

Despite knowing the local LibDem candidate, who is great as a local politician, they will not hold power and the lies they told about tuition fees has cost my daughter (and therefore me) at least £18000.

Corbyn has, for me, really raised his game during this campaign and comes over as a conviction politician who believes what he says; something to admire even though I fundamentally disagree with some of it. I also see him being very positive in the Brexit negotiations because he would be conciliatory and would work from a position of continuing to work in partnership. (I was a 45/55 leaver) However I cannot forget his perceived support of terrorist groups in the past and I still have a basic mistrust of Labour economic policy. I also see Dianne Abbot as incompetent and one who should be nowhere near any form of power.

Theresa May has come over as much less formidable than before and does not, to me, appear to be strong or stable at the moment. The Tory economic model appears also not to be working - I read the other day we are still spending £70 billion a year more than we are earning - costing £1 billion a year in interest payments. They also appear not be acknowledging the crises in the NHS and education; there is no doubt that more money is allocated to these services but the need is still outstripping the resources. I'm also worried that the very aggressive Brexit approach is also the wrong way to negotiate with countries we still want to work with in many ways. I also feel that David Cameron simply bottled out of the situation and the Prime Minister should not have called the election at this point on what increasingly seems an attempt to simply secure a greater majority for her party, not taking the needs of the country into account.

If Caroline Lucas could be cloned I'd be tempted to vote for her despite some of the Green policies, we don't have the Welsh or Scottish Nationalists on the paper and I feel that the reasonable face of UKip hides something less palatable.

I will go to the ballot box but heaven knows where my cross will go.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Russ

Post by Russ »

starbuck wrote:Gary Barlow, which pretty much means you could add the other 2 to the list as well.

Take that Russ.

Ha ha. :grin:

No surprise really, they got in trouble for tax evading a few years ago. :heyhey:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Russ wrote:
starbuck wrote:Gary Barlow, which pretty much means you could add the other 2 to the list as well.

Take that Russ.

Ha ha. :grin:

No surprise really, they got in trouble for tax evading a few years ago. :heyhey:

Didn't the Jesus Christ stand in Bono and Jimmy Carr end up with red faces over their lack of willingness to pay their fair share? :cuppa:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Regarding celebrity endorsements, if you're so thick you need to be told who to vote for, you really shouldn't be trusted to vote at all.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

There you go......proof that May's policies have led to an increase in crime.... :whistle:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40120319
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Regarding celebrity endorsements, if you're so thick you need to be told who to vote for, you really shouldn't be trusted to vote at all.

There was an article recently (which I can't find a link to at the moment unfortunately) which basically stated that very few people pay any attention to celebrity endorsements of politicians.

I do agree that you should have to register to vote before each GE and part of the process would be 20 questions at a fairly high generic level to test if you have watched the news or Newsnight or Question Time recently and have a vague understanding about the main issues.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

iainpeden wrote:Back to the politics.
For the first time since 1975 when I turned 18 I still cannot make up my mind on who to vote for; it's much more, this time around, who I don't trust to take power than who I do.

Despite knowing the local LibDem candidate, who is great as a local politician, they will not hold power and the lies they told about tuition fees has cost my daughter (and therefore me) at least £18000.

Corbyn has, for me, really raised his game during this campaign and comes over as a conviction politician who believes what he says; something to admire even though I fundamentally disagree with some of it. I also see him being very positive in the Brexit negotiations because he would be conciliatory and would work from a position of continuing to work in partnership. (I was a 45/55 leaver) However I cannot forget his perceived support of terrorist groups in the past and I still have a basic mistrust of Labour economic policy. I also see Dianne Abbot as incompetent and one who should be nowhere near any form of power.

Theresa May has come over as much less formidable than before and does not, to me, appear to be strong or stable at the moment. The Tory economic model appears also not to be working - I read the other day we are still spending £70 billion a year more than we are earning - costing £1 billion a year in interest payments. They also appear not be acknowledging the crises in the NHS and education; there is no doubt that more money is allocated to these services but the need is still outstripping the resources. I'm also worried that the very aggressive Brexit approach is also the wrong way to negotiate with countries we still want to work with in many ways. I also feel that David Cameron simply bottled out of the situation and the Prime Minister should not have called the election at this point on what increasingly seems an attempt to simply secure a greater majority for her party, not taking the needs of the country into account.

If Caroline Lucas could be cloned I'd be tempted to vote for her despite some of the Green policies, we don't have the Welsh or Scottish Nationalists on the paper and I feel that the reasonable face of UKip hides something less palatable.

I will go to the ballot box but heaven knows where my cross will go.

I feel exactly the same, since turning 18 I have always voted Conservative but I find myself leaning towards the left at this moment. The battle is being fought on personalities not policies and Labour are fighting with one arm tied behind their back, thanks to the media being very anti Corbyn. I am sick of seeing headlines about his past being dragged up. For goodness sake, it was over 30 years ago, people (including politicians) can change :surrender:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

"If you work hard and are successful, we hate you. And, the more successful you are, the more we hate you." - Labour Party Manifesto 2017

Labour left us with the largest deficit in peacetime history and even had the cheek to joke about saddling us all with record shortfall; "there's no money left!". Utter disgrace. Cuts were of course inevitable after that.

7 years later and we are still not out of the woods yet, such was the scale of the overspend by Labour.

Tories record since they took over from Labour.
1) Reduced the £150b deficit to £50b
2) Record employment an extra 1,000,000 in work
3) Economy still growing
4) Cut income tax for ALL
5) An extra 4,000,000 pay no income tax at all
6) Given us a referendum on the EU which Labour never did despite their promises.

How can anyone believe Labour's lies? They'll do anything to get back into power, they are doing this by offering everything under the sun.
Labour has promised £150B extra spending only £50B in extra tax. Borrow rest?

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

For balance, can you show us the costings for the Conservative's pledges? Oh wait... :tumbleweed:

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Wes_Howes wrote:For balance, can you show us the costings for the Conservative's pledges? Oh wait... :tumbleweed:

There was recently a budget so I assume they will be working in accordance to that.
Labour just has numbers written on a page, the IFS has already said there's a huge black-hole and doesn't all add up.
Of course, it doesn't add up, they have Diane Abbott doing the figures and she can't count to ten.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

:smile:
Last edited by JonG96 on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.