General Election 2017

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
DerekF

Re: General Election 2017

Post by DerekF »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
DerekF wrote:Form for what exactly? Talking to fringe groups when he was a back bencher?

Murdoch doesn't want a Labour government and you are helping him twist the truth to his ends.

The fear campaign worked for the Brexit vote and the Tories are trying the same tactics again, anything rather than try and win on their own merit - well, they haven't got much of that.

Derek, the country doesn't want a Labour government. Least of all one led by an apologist for terror, and a friend to the evil.

Perhaps not but we'll find out on Friday morning.

It must be frustrating for Tories to have so little to support that they have to resort digging up old dirt on the opposition. They have so little confidence in Theresa May's inept team that the only way they can win is attempt to smear Jeremy Corbyn. It must be frustrating when all Labour talk about is policies and what their plans are and the Tories, well, they just talk about Jeremy Corbyn and how terrible he'll be. Labour are doing the right thing and not joining in their playground antics. Have they done enough to make dent in May's majority? Well, we'll see.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Pringles wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Derek, the country doesn't want a Labour government.

Speaks volumes of your ego Dan, that you believe you can speak on behalf of the entire nation. How about you wait until Friday morning before making such assumptions?

Kid, look at the polls.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Well, Labour's history of anti-Semitism is well-documented. I don't see you condemning those chants, Derek?

Well documented. Really. By the Daily Mail? Guido Fawkes? The Torygraph. Yes, very well documented.

Anti-Israel is not the same as anti-Semitism. I thought you would have realized that.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

DerekF wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Well, Labour's history of anti-Semitism is well-documented. I don't see you condemning those chants, Derek?

Well documented. Really. By the Daily Mail? Guido Fawkes? The Torygraph. Yes, very well documented.

Anti-Israel is not the same as anti-Semitism. I thought you would have realized that.

Remind me again why Ken Livingstone is currently "suspended" (though not yet removed) from the party?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Why? Can't you find out for yourself?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Tomorrow's right wing front pages are worth sharing here:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/simonnricketts/status/872214917432193026[/tweet]

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Pringles wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Derek, the country doesn't want a Labour government.

Speaks volumes of your ego Dan, that you believe you can speak on behalf of the entire nation. How about you wait until Friday morning before making such assumptions?

Kid, look at the polls.

Oh please. Don't patronise me. I'm well aware that the Tories remain ahead in almost every poll, however by a consistently slim margin. What they say is that 58% of those intending to vote in this country don't want a government that indirectly funds terror through Saudi Arabia, a government that I would say is equally if not more so a "friend of evil" than Jezza
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Diane Abbott has been a car-crash for Labour's campaign (and Labour in general).

Corbyn; credit to the guy - people criticised "the system" as offering no real choice or alternative. A red suit or a blue suit, with very very similar policies. Ideologically, it's difficult to say that Corbyn is from the same establishmentarian factory that curbed out Blair, Cameron, May, Milliband etc...

But, despite Abbott's awfulness, and Labour in general, a competent Tory should be running rings around them. If Theresa May was half the woman she and her fundamentalist supporters thought she was, she should absolutely wipe the slate clean; and finish Labour for good (which, though I'm no Labournsupporter, would on the face of it be a bad thing)

Maybe she still will, but as I said before, unless she significantly increases Tory majority, the election will have been a failure for her.

This election campaign has been, and continues to be, disastrous for May. She'll win, I still think, but my bigger concern is that she will be torn to shreds by the EU in negotiations. Which we now have only 21 months left to resolve almost all of our tariffs-rate-agreements, rights of citizens, economy, in excess of 700 treaties, and decades of statute, et considerable al...

I keep saying it - May makes poor decisions.

This election is very much about the "least worse" candidate.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Now the Saudi question is in the public arena, I am sure it will be addressed by the West. And the Saudis know it, given they're desperately throwing Qatar under the bus.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Now the Saudi question is in the public arena, I am sure it will be addressed by the West. And the Saudis know it, given they're desperately throwing Qatar under the bus.

Are you so sure? If reports are to be believed the Tories want it buried, to keep it out of the "public arena", despite an agreement made whilst in coalition. Doesn't that just inspire trust?..

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Tommy wrote:Diane Abbott has been a car-crash for Labour's campaign (and Labour in general).

Corbyn; credit to the guy - people criticised "the system" as offering no real choice or alternative. A red suit or a blue suit, with very very similar policies. Ideologically, it's difficult to say that Corbyn is from the same establishmentarian factory that curbed out Blair, Cameron, May, Milliband etc...

But, despite Abbott's awfulness, and Labour in general, a competent Tory should be running rings around them. If Theresa May was half the woman she and her fundamentalist supporters thought she was, she should absolutely wipe the slate clean; and finish Labour for good (which, though I'm no Labournsupporter, would on the face of it be a bad thing)

Maybe she still will, but as I said before, unless she significantly increases Tory majority, the election will have been a failure for her.

This election campaign has been, and continues to be, disastrous for May. She'll win, I still think, but my bigger concern is that she will be torn to shreds by the EU in negotiations. Which we now have only 21 months left to resolve almost all of our tariffs-rate-agreements, rights of citizens, economy, in excess of 700 treaties, and decades of statute, et considerable al...

I keep saying it - May makes poor decisions.

This election is very much about the "least worse" candidate.

An excellent post. This really should be the "none of the above" election. The worst Tory PM in my lifetime, or a Britain-hating Trot like Corbyn. What a choice to be lumbered with.

These are dangerous times, and you would need to be certifiable to vote for Labour with their track record on chummying up to those who would do the country harm.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:These are dangerous times, and you would need to be certifiable to vote for Labour with their track record on chummying up to those who would do the country harm.

Please Dan, you've been asked this before, just because you swallow everything Murdoch feeds you, does not mean that you have to insult the intelligence of those that wish to vote differently to you. We live in a world where we can vote for whomever we wish based on whatever rationale we see fit, there is no need for your attitude of "If you vote Labour, you're certifiable and hate your country". I will also point out that one of the greatest minds of our time, Professor Stephen Hawking, has expressed his intention to vote for Labour, and I'm sure by comparison he would find you to be the dimwit you apparently view everyone else to be

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

New Cassetteboy vs Theresa May

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/boycassette/videos/647035728818700/[/fb-post]

vandal

Post by vandal »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Tomorrow's right wing front pages are worth sharing here:

Equally of note...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/t ... bff0f4d4d8

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Hermann Göring at the Nuremberg Trials, 1946. Disturbingly profound for the current era of politics, it would seem:
"Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America nor, for that matter, in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship....

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

CJS

Post by CJS »

It seems to me that the Torys will win, but quite possible even with a reduced majority, which would be a disaster for May (good!).

I wonder if anyone is waiting in the wings to challenge her leadership should this happen? Any key Tories keeping a little quiet in their praise for their leader, as she kept quiet throughout the referendum campaign?

And I do wish people would stop seeing this as a "none of the above" election - we don't have that as an option on the ballot paper, so all that kind of attitude does is encourage people not to vote, which is morally (and in my mind should literally be) criminal.

If you despise May and Corbyn that much, ignore them and at least make your vote for who you think will best serve your local community. It's certainly what I'll be doing.

Not voting is the only option we shouldn't have imho.

As for those needlessly forumite-bashing (again), as far as I can see, no-one has done anything other than offer up their opinion, so I fail to see the problem (although I fail to see quite a lot of stuff (man-blinkers apparently!) so maybe I'm missing something?).
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-johnson-asks-how-were-london-attackers-allowed-to-slip-through-net-a3558061.html

Not singing from the party hymn-sheet, or merely being his usual duplicitous self & lining himself up for yet another leadership attempt ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Pringles wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:These are dangerous times, and you would need to be certifiable to vote for Labour with their track record on chummying up to those who would do the country harm.

Please Dan, you've been asked this before, just because you swallow everything Murdoch feeds you, does not mean that you have to insult the intelligence of those that wish to vote differently to you. We live in a world where we can vote for whomever we wish based on whatever rationale we see fit, there is no need for your attitude of "If you vote Labour, you're certifiable and hate your country". I will also point out that one of the greatest minds of our time, Professor Stephen Hawking, has expressed his intention to vote for Labour, and I'm sure by comparison he would find you to be the dimwit you apparently view everyone else to be

:clap: Well said, Pringles.

We are indeed in dangerous times.

When a footbal team is relegated, the manager gets sacked. When there's multiple terrorists attacks, the Home Secretary and her prime minister attacks those who have no responsibility for the safeguarding of the population. How strange. Voting Conservative means more of the same. It's time for a change in Britain and Labour under Corbyn offer a new way of carrying out politics in this country so I would suggest it's their time.

The Murdoch press support those who politicians who will make life easy (profitable) for them. Follow the money and don't be a dummy!

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I've not seen any mention of this Garden Tax that Labour are proposing to bring in. While on the face of it I would agree with the Tories that it's a bad thing, but only because at first I read that this would be set at 3%, but reading further into it there is no mention of what percentage Labour would put on it. it's a figure that the Tories have used as a scaremongering tactic.
Another thing I've also thought was well why shouldn't people with that 1 acre garden pay for that privilege, we are supposed to be crying out for land to build houses on, so if you want extra land for a garden then why shouldn't you pay for it. After all didn't the Tories decide that if you want extra bedrooms in your council house then you have to pay a bedroom tax.
As for who will I vote for, I'm still undecided whether to vote or not as I really want to vote none of the above. I was a life long Tory from when I first voted in 1974 up until the last election in 2015 when I couldn't vote for Cameron and Osborne, or even Lib/Dem to keep Labour out. T. May hasn't shown me that the Tories are any better now and I'm not sure about Corbyn, he seems genuine and will push for what he believes in but are they what I want for our country. CJS says we should then vote for who we think would be best for our constituency but do MP's really care for there constituents. If I look at what is best for me and say sod what is best for the country then it has to be a Labour vote from me, but I honestly cringe at the thought of voting Labour as it goes against what I believe in.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

That's because the 'Garden Tax' is yet more Tory lies & scaremongering ( one might even call it 'Project Fear' :whistle: ) :
http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/splash/so-called-garden-tax
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It's "right wing press" today, and not "odious, vile rags" as they were when the same publications were calling remain voters traitors or calling for airshows to be banned after Shoreham then? I'm pretty sure you called for all aviation enthusiasts to boycott them after their Shoreham front pages.

You blamed people for leading us "headlong down moron avenue" when they swallowed the Brexit propaganda published by these same publications.

It's quite telling that the Tory manifesto contains a pledge to drop Leveson Part 2, which gets Murdoch, Dacre and these nasty newspapers off the hook for their underhand, intrusive, innacurate and quite often fabricated "journalism".... very convenient, and yet here you are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

This bit, you mean...
Given the comprehensive nature of the first stage of the Leveson Inquiry and given the lengthy investigations by the police and Crown Prosecution Service into alleged wrongdoing, we will not proceed with the second stage of the Leveson Inquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the press.
We will repeal Section 40 of the Crime and Courts Act 2014, which, if enacted, would force media organisations to become members of a flawed regulatory system or risk having to pay the legal costs of both sides in libel and privacy cases, even if they win.

To be fair, though, it's easy enough to miss given that their manifesto is long on waffle but short on substance.

No doubt it's pledges like that which are the reason why they're spending most of their time attempting to turn the election into a 'pro-brexit, anti-Corbyn' campaign.
아직도 숨어있다

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

I realise this is satire, but still:
Vote Tory, urge newspapers owned by billionaire tax avoiders
The Sun, Daily Mail and Express have urged their readers to vote Conservative in the upcoming general election in a selfless bid to protect their owners’ vast wealth.

Linking Jeremy Corbyn to Islamist extremism, The Sun tells everyone to ‘Make sure you vote for the Tories’, which confused its readers who had been planning to vote Conservative.

The Daily Mail uses its front page to implore the nation to ‘vote to save Britain’ and accuses Mr Corbyn of ‘Befriending Britain’s enemies, which in this case are terrorists, not, as they’d previously stated, the British judiciary.

:grin:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Russ

Post by Russ »

That isn't journalism. It's hate preaching. And those fake journalists and owners responsible, should be tried in the same manner as religious hate preachers.