General Election 2017

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Post Reply
User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff
Posts: 2068
Joined: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: General Election 2017

Post by jalfrezi »

Russ wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Tomorrow's right wing front pages are worth sharing here:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/simonnricketts/status/872214917432193026[/tweet]

That isn't journalism. It's hate preaching. And those fake journalists and owners responsible, should be tried in the same manner as religious hate preachers.


I'm all for free press, but where is the objectivity? It's just propaganda, Goebbels would have been proud.

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Brevet Cable »


An interview which lasted at least 5 minutes, yet they only posted the Abbot bit ( and presumably the question about how his garden's doing ) :facepalm:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

User avatar
Pringles
Posts: 1742
Joined: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Pringles »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BBCEleanorG/status/872372647375581186[/tweet]
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

User avatar
starbuck
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm

Re: General Election 2017

Post by starbuck »

Yes - obviously the editors decided that was the only 'news' worthy part of the interview worth repeating.

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

Mooshie1956 wrote:I've not seen any mention of this Garden Tax that Labour are proposing to bring in.

Some independent fact checking - https://fullfact.org/economy/labours-land-value-tax-will-you-have-sell-your-garden/

Labour isn't committing to an extra tax on people's gardens. Its manifesto only promised:

"We will initiate a review into reforming council tax and business rates and consider new options such as a land value tax."

A Land Value Tax is a tax on the potential value of land itself, ignoring anything that's built on it. It isn’t being proposed as an additional tax, but as a potential replacement for council taxes and/or business rates.

Some media outlets have dubbed it a 'garden tax', as the Daily Express did.


:snack:

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Brevet Cable »

May's made a big thing about coming to Wales to campaign.
Here's a snip from an article by one of the journalists who attended one such visit....
Mrs May descended on Brackla Community Centre like a potentate taking possession of a new piece of territory.
“This place is turning blue” was the underlying message as the people of Wales were exposed for the first time to the slogan “Strong and stable leadership in the national interest”.

There was, however, something not quite right from the outset. When the Prime Minister visited the community centre, she didn’t do so as a visiting politician who wanted to talk to the locals.

With a small number of exceptions, the locals were excluded from their own space, which was filled by party activists from across south Wales and carefully vetted journalists, only a select few of whom – myself included – were allowed to ask a question.

As quickly as the hordes arrived, they had departed, leaving Brackla to carry on with its largely uneventful existence.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff
Posts: 2068
Joined: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: General Election 2017

Post by jalfrezi »

Brevet Cable wrote:May's made a big thing about coming to Wales to campaign.
Here's a snip from an article by one of the journalists who attended one such visit....
Mrs May descended on Brackla Community Centre like a potentate taking possession of a new piece of territory.
“This place is turning blue” was the underlying message as the people of Wales were exposed for the first time to the slogan “Strong and stable leadership in the national interest”.

There was, however, something not quite right from the outset. When the Prime Minister visited the community centre, she didn’t do so as a visiting politician who wanted to talk to the locals.

With a small number of exceptions, the locals were excluded from their own space, which was filled by party activists from across south Wales and carefully vetted journalists, only a select few of whom – myself included – were allowed to ask a question.

As quickly as the hordes arrived, they had departed, leaving Brackla to carry on with its largely uneventful existence.


Probably something like this then.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/872019333253398528[/tweet]

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

Entirely trivial, but quite funny. I clocked an article on which celebs have come out in support of each party. Mindful celeb endorsements mean nothing (just look a the US election), but the Tory list is well, undesirable to put it mildly - like an axis of evil. :grin:

Labour:
Steve Coogan
Ricky Gervais
Brian May
Stephen Hawking
Eddie Izzard
Russell Brand
Armando Iannucci
David Schneider
Liam Gallagher
Ben Elton
Robert Webb
Hugh Grant
Lily Allen
Danny Baker
Clean Bandit
Frances Barber
Rob Delaney
Danny DeVito
David Gilmour
Mark Ruffalo
Ross Kemp
Maxine Peake
Kate Nash
Ronnie O’Sullivan
Neville Southall
Stormzy


Tories:
Jim Davidson
Katie Hopkins
John McCririck

:lol:

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Finningley Boy »

For all the attacks on Teresa May and the rotten awful swine pig Tories, I'm just watching the Daily Politics, David Lammy has had to try and explain, Jeremy Corbyn's constant opposition to anti-terrorist legislation and John McDonnell's calls for the abolition of MI5. He weakly tried to explain that perhaps McDonnell wanted to replace MI5 with something else (well of course) when confronted about his call for the Police to be disarmed, he could only claim that Andrew Neil was dwelling on the past. As for Corbyn, same again, he was a back bencher then he really looked horrified when it was put to him that people in an audience supporting Jeremy Corbyn called for the gassing of Jews and Israel, he could only say how horrified he was at this news and looked genuinely shocked. But to defend Corbyn and McDonnell as having held their views and behaved as they did in the dim and distant past just doesn't explain anything, they held those views, openly, right up to assuming their current high stratus posts. As Andrew Neil said, this is their record, it is sustained and all we have to judge them on. Not a once or tice remark when they were Student radicals. The Labour chap's overall counter is about the number of Police being cut from the force and other financial cuts.. All of which everyone knows absolutely followed the need to avoid outright Bankruptcy, certainly not policies of choice, as they most certainly would be, along with the choice to emasculate the Armed Forces under Labour, never mind narrowing the defence debate to Trident, whether or not, but that's media position more than anything else. However, anything can happen tomorrow, we still see Theresa May being jeered in public and Corbyn being cheered! :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
Last edited by Finningley Boy on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
andrewn
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun 14 Sep 2008, 8:12 pm

Re: General Election 2017

Post by andrewn »

Thanks Russ, that's sealed it for me. If Neville Southall is in with Jeremy then so am I :)

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

Finningley Boy wrote:Teresa May

At least spell her name right! :facepalm:

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

andrewn wrote:Thanks Russ, that's sealed it for me. If Neville Southall is in with Jeremy then so am I :)

As I said, it was trivial.

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Finningley Boy »

Russ wrote:Entirely trivial, but quite funny. I clocked an article on which celebs have come out in support of each party. Mindful celeb endorsements mean nothing (just look a the US election), but the Tory list is well, undesirable to put it mildly - like an axis of evil. :grin:

Labour:
Steve Coogan
Ricky Gervais
Brian May
Stephen Hawking
Eddie Izzard
Russell Brand
Armando Iannucci
David Schneider
Liam Gallagher
Ben Elton
Robert Webb
Hugh Grant
Lily Allen
Danny Baker
Clean Bandit
Frances Barber
Rob Delaney
Danny DeVito
David Gilmour
Mark Ruffalo
Ross Kemp
Maxine Peake
Kate Nash
Ronnie O’Sullivan
Neville Southall
Stormzy


Tories:
Jim Davidson
Katie Hopkins
John McCririck

:lol:


I thought Brian May was for the greens? :cuppa:

However, Celebs have for the most part traditionally supported progressive left/liberal, so no story here, just an example of the shallowness and mawkish sentimentality of the bulk of folk in the arts and entertainment profession, none of it is at all surprising! :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Brevet Cable »

Theresa May's currently on stage doing a pretty good comedy routine.....she keeps coming out with a running gag about being out and about meeting 'ordinary people' & the general public.
:lol:

Seriously, though.....Corbyn in open public areas in both of his appearances I've seen today, in contrast to May who's been in closed-off buildings with very few people.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Finningley Boy »

All court Jesters, Jugglers, clowns and fiddlers this way to vote for Labour, Greens, SNP etc... :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
Aviation94
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue 17 Aug 2010, 1:58 pm
Contact:

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Aviation94 »

Russ wrote:Entirely trivial, but quite funny. I clocked an article on which celebs have come out in support of each party. Mindful celeb endorsements mean nothing (just look a the US election), but the Tory list is well, undesirable to put it mildly - like an axis of evil. :grin:

Labour:
Steve Coogan
Ricky Gervais
Brian May
Stephen Hawking
Eddie Izzard
Russell Brand
Armando Iannucci
David Schneider
Liam Gallagher
Ben Elton
Robert Webb
Hugh Grant
Lily Allen
Danny Baker
Clean Bandit
Frances Barber
Rob Delaney
Danny DeVito
David Gilmour
Mark Ruffalo
Ross Kemp
Maxine Peake
Kate Nash
Ronnie O’Sullivan
Neville Southall
Stormzy


Tories:
Jim Davidson
Katie Hopkins
John McCririck

:lol:




Danny DeVito?! Does he live over here? Will he be voting? :dizzy:
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

User avatar
DerekF
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun 07 Sep 2008, 7:54 am
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by DerekF »

Finningley Boy wrote:All court Jesters, Jugglers, clowns and fiddlers this way to vote for Labour, Greens, SNP etc... :wink:

FB :biggrin:


Good enough for Stephen Hawking, good enough for me.

TKK 140
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:49 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by TKK 140 »

Seeing the reports of JC meeting the IRA in Parliament at the time it happenend has always stayed with me. It's not propoganda, it actually happened.
On R4 an ex SAS Colonel said that 1in 3 members of the IRA were working for the security services, they had Little option but to seek peaceful resolution. The politicians taking the credit.


Spelling Teresa rather than Theresa is important or should be to a pedant who picks out others. Smacks of hypocrisy.

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

TKK 140 wrote:Spelling Teresa rather than Theresa is important or should be to a pedant who picks out others. Smacks of hypocrisy.

It is important. What happens if he was looking for "Teresa May" on the ballot paper, but couldn't find her and ended up voting for Jeremy Corbyn?

TKK 140
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:49 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by TKK 140 »



Labour backroom staff have upped their game that's for sure, a tactical substitution? It's a sad fact that both sides of the debate hide most of the cabinet contenders. Mind you Amber Rudd has dealt with a few of the Labour front bench in the last week single handed.

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

Aviation94 wrote:Danny DeVito?! Does he live over here? Will he be voting? :dizzy:

Nope. Nor Mark Ruffalo or Rob Delaney, but they've all come out in support of Labour.

Danny DeVito endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Prime Minister using the hashtag #grime4Corbyn

TKK 140
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:49 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by TKK 140 »

Russ wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:Spelling Teresa rather than Theresa is important or should be to a pedant who picks out others. Smacks of hypocrisy.

It is important. What happens if he was looking for "Teresa May" on the ballot paper, but couldn't find her and ended up voting for Jeremy Corbyn?


Standards apply equally or not at all.

TKK 140
Posts: 1385
Joined: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 5:49 am

Re: General Election 2017

Post by TKK 140 »

Russ wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:Danny DeVito?! Does he live over here? Will he be voting? :dizzy:

Nope. Nor Mark Ruffalo or Rob Delaney, but they've all come out in support of Labour.

Danny DeVito endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Prime Minister using the hashtag #grime4Corbyn



And that's relevant how? Of course a rather one sided list you published, perhaps a matter for the courts :lmao:

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

It's funny and quite desperate how the right are having to go back up to 40 years to get some dirt on Corbyn.

By comparison and in a similar time-frame, has everyone forgotten that at Eton, David Cameron put his penis in a dead pigs mouth? That's perfectly acceptable and easily forgotten of course.

User avatar
Russ
Posts: 5592
Joined: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 6:51 am
Location: UK

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Russ »

TKK 140 wrote:
Russ wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:Spelling Teresa rather than Theresa is important or should be to a pedant who picks out others. Smacks of hypocrisy.

It is important. What happens if he was looking for "Teresa May" on the ballot paper, but couldn't find her and ended up voting for Jeremy Corbyn?


Standards apply equally or not at all.

In which case, can you find a spelling mistake of mine?

Post Reply