General Election 2017

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Spiny Norman

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Spiny Norman »

JonG96 wrote:"If you work hard and are successful, we hate you. And, the more successful you are, the more we hate you." - Labour Party Manifesto 2017

Labour left us with the largest deficit in peacetime history and even had the cheek to joke about saddling us all with record shortfall; "there's no money left!". Utter disgrace. Cuts were of course inevitable after that.

7 years later and we are still not out of the woods yet, such was the scale of the overspend by Labour.

Tories record since they took over from Labour.
1) Reduced the £150b deficit to £50b
2) Record employment an extra 1,000,000 in work
3) Economy still growing
4) Cut income tax for ALL
5) An extra 4,000,000 pay no income tax at all
6) Given us a referendum on the EU which Labour never did despite their promises.

How can anyone believe Labour's lies? They'll do anything to get back into power, they are doing this by offering everything under the sun.
Labour has promised £150B extra spending only £50B in extra tax. Borrow rest?

Yes it would have been better to let the banks collapse in 2008...

The comment in the Treasury was a joke that the Tories failed to get. A bit like Theresa May's immigration targets...

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

speedbird2639 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Regarding celebrity endorsements, if you're so thick you need to be told who to vote for, you really shouldn't be trusted to vote at all.

There was an article recently (which I can't find a link to at the moment unfortunately) which basically stated that very few people pay any attention to celebrity endorsements of politicians.

I do agree that you should have to register to vote before each GE and part of the process would be 20 questions at a fairly high generic level to test if you have watched the news or Newsnight or Question Time recently and have a vague understanding about the main issues.

I guarantee had there been any IQ test like you mention at the polling booth a year ago, there'd be no election tomorrow...

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

[/quote]The comment in the Treasury was a joke that the Tories failed to get. A bit like Theresa May's immigration targets...[/quote]

But it wasn't a joke, there really wasn't any left.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

jalfrezi wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
Russ wrote:
Aviation94 wrote:Danny DeVito?! Does he live over here? Will he be voting? :dizzy:

Nope. Nor Mark Ruffalo or Rob Delaney, but they've all come out in support of Labour.

Danny DeVito endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Prime Minister using the hashtag #grime4Corbyn

And that's relevant how? Of course a rather one sided list you published, perhaps a matter for the courts :lmao:

You're right it's not really relevant, much like 99% of your posts. (I may have rounded this statistic upwards somewhat, like the Tories 'extra police on the street').

:handbag: Better than the 100% hit rate for the bad curry. :tongue:

Russ

Post by Russ »

JonG96 wrote:"If you work hard and are successful, we hate you. And, the more successful you are, the more we hate you." - Labour Party Manifesto 2017

Nonsense. I've worked hard, am relatively successful but it's matter of fact I'm worse off under the Tories. Despite doing two jobs, one full time. I've had a pay cut every year since 2010 and now also pay more national insurance.

But hey...

"You will always be better off working"

"We're all in this together"

I wonder what the next slogan will be? "Arbeit macht frei?"

Russ

Post by Russ »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Regarding celebrity endorsements, if you're so thick you need to be told who to vote for, you really shouldn't be trusted to vote at all.

There was an article recently (which I can't find a link to at the moment unfortunately) which basically stated that very few people pay any attention to celebrity endorsements of politicians.

I do agree that you should have to register to vote before each GE and part of the process would be 20 questions at a fairly high generic level to test if you have watched the news or Newsnight or Question Time recently and have a vague understanding about the main issues.

I guarantee had there been any IQ test like you mention at the polling booth a year ago, there'd be no election tomorrow...

That is absolutely spot on. :up:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Brevet Cable wrote:There you go......proof that May's policies have led to an increase in crime.... :whistle:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40120319

Proves nothing. Stands to reason if there is an increase in the number of bikes then there will be an increase in the number of bike thefts. I'd blame whoever runs the local council for trying to get more people on bikes. :whistle:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Labour left us with the largest deficit in peacetime history and even had the cheek to joke about saddling us all with record shortfall; "there's no money left!". Utter disgrace. Cuts were of course inevitable after that.

7 years later and we are still not out of the woods yet, such was the scale of the overspend by Labour.

1) Reduced the £150b deficit to £50b wasn't it supposed to have been in surplus by 2015, apparently 2025 now.
2) Record employment an extra 1,000,000 in work in zero hours contracts or classed as self employed with very little in the way of employment rights
3) Economy still growing yes, but now lowest in G7
4) Cut income tax for ALL I'd rather pay a bit more in tax and have better public services than the shambles we currently have
5) An extra 4,000,000 pay no income tax at all That's great, though they're still earning barely enough to survive
6) Given us a referendum on the EU which Labour never did despite their promises. The Tories were forced in to this and expected to win comfortably, backfired on them spectacularly

How can anyone believe Labour's lies? They'll do anything to get back into power, they are doing this by offering everything under the sun.
Labour has promised £150B extra spending only £50B in extra tax. Borrow rest? TM will do or say anything to stay in power, but won't cost anything or have a proper debate

Get your facts right - the banks left us with the huge debt when they had to be bailed out because of their insatiable greed and excessive risk taking, what Labour failed to do was increase the regulation and force banks to separate the investment side from the consumer side.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Spiny Norman wrote:

1) Reduced the £150b deficit to £50b
2) Record employment an extra 1,000,000 in work
3) Economy still growing
4) Cut income tax for ALL
5) An extra 4,000,000 pay no income tax at all
6) Given us a referendum on the EU which Labour never did despite their promises.

Labour has promised £150B extra spending only £50B in extra tax. Borrow rest?

Yes it would have been better to let the banks collapse in 2008...

The comment in the Treasury was a joke that the Tories failed to get. A bit like Theresa May's immigration targets...

The country was nearly bankrupted, the Labour Party were in control and presided over lax financial controls. Letting some of the Banks go bust was not an option. The run on banks would have been a disaster and at least
they've learned from the 20's and 30's collapses. Brown tried to patch up the damage that the Labour Government made worse by selling off the gold reserves at rock bottom prices and emptying the public purse.
Spiny is spot on with his post.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

starbuck wrote:Proves nothing. Stands to reason if there is an increase in the number of bikes then there will be an increase in the number of bike thefts. I'd blame whoever runs the local council for trying to get more people on bikes. :whistle:

So you'd agree that the claims about there being a record number of people in employment are meaningless as well, then ? :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
starbuck wrote:Proves nothing. Stands to reason if there is an increase in the number of bikes then there will be an increase in the number of bike thefts. I'd blame whoever runs the local council for trying to get more people on bikes. :whistle:

So you'd agree that the claims about there being a record number of people in employment are meaningless as well, then ? :whistle:

Probably better than the Saatchi and Saatchi advert "Labours not working" with the queue to the dole office below it.

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

In other news Alan Sugar has been proving a point...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... rbynistas/

I always though he voted Labour but he's very anti-corbyn (similar to that of the new "interim" home secretary Lyn Brown who quit the front bench last year in protest?!)
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

TKK 140 wrote:The country was nearly bankrupted, the Labour Party were in control and presided over lax financial controls.
I refer you to one of my previous posts.

Letting some of the Banks go bust was not an option.

Yes it was, which is just what some other Countries did.
아직도 숨어있다

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Brevet Cable wrote:

Yes I would. I'm not a fan of general sweeping statements like that, whoever says them.

To be honest my initial response to your original post was meant slightly tongue in cheek anyway.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Good News, Diane Abbott will return to the fray soon, the sooner the better I say! :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1mzBahuMRM

This Jeremy Corbyn video sums it up for me, pretty much blaming the rest of society because they didn't pass a test.

They're the party that literally punish people for success, unbelievable.

Aviation94

Post by Aviation94 »

JonG96 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1mzBahuMRM

This Jeremy Corbyn video sums it up for me, pretty much blaming the rest of society because they didn't pass a test.

They're the party that literally punish people for success, unbelievable.

WTF?! This video playing on the fact she was segregated from her friends because she didn't pass the 11+ test. That's not a government issue no matter what party is in power! That's an issue for the school itself to look at if a child is being bullied or discriminated against! :roll:
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

JonG96 wrote:They're the party that literally punish people for success, unbelievable.

Opposed to the Tories who punish the poor for not being successful, the wealthy are never going to struggle to feed themselves or put a roof over their head, I don't see why they can't pay a little more rather than hoarding their wealth. The wealthiest have got richer while everyone else has got poorer under austerity, what sort of society is that? Do we really want to head towards the American type of society?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/TRTP2/videos/822785684547020/[/fb-post]

This Conservative manifesto video sums it up for me

They're the party that literally thinks it can get away with anything, unbelievable :whistle:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Russ wrote:

Nonsense. I've worked hard, am relatively successful but it's matter of fact I'm worse off under the Tories. Despite doing two jobs, one full time. I've had a pay cut every year since 2010 and now also pay more national insurance.

But hey...

"You will always be better off working"

"We're all in this together"

I wonder what the next slogan will be? "Arbeit macht frei?"

That last line is dreadful. We have all paid more, some a lot more already. Lord Sugar has a picture of a £58 million cheque to HMRC in the Telegraph today.

We are in it together, but not so disproportionally as some seem to expect.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And again....
Corbyn at yet another constituency, outside in the open with lots of people.
May, in contrast, inside yet another building talking to a mere handful of people.

If I were an undecided voter, no way would that inspire me to vote for her.
아직도 숨어있다

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

TKK 140 wrote:
We are in it together, but not so disproportionally as some seem to expect.

No we're not, how does austerity affect the super rich?

They have no need of public services so the cuts don't affect them, and an increase in inflation or tax may mean they make slightly less profit per year - but both of these will affect the poorest in society 'disproportionally'.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Brevet Cable wrote:And again....
May, in contrast, inside yet another building talking to a mere handful of people.

May is banking on the fact Corbyn has more baggage than Heathrow. Risky, but Corbyn is so toxic, it's only a very slight risk.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Brevet Cable wrote:And again....

That just means he has more followers, also the fact lefties let everyone know about their beliefs and abuse anyone that doesn't agree.
That's why theres more posts about pro-Corbyn and Labour on facebook and twitter because they are more open, this does not mean they will win.
I remember looking at facebook and twitter on the day of the council elections, all i saw was #keepcalm&votelabour. We all saw what happened, Labour got decimated.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

JonG96 wrote:That just means he has more followers, also the fact lefties let everyone know about their beliefs and abuse anyone that doesn't agree.

Based on this thread alone I'd argue that "righties" are just as abusive!
Also I'd suggest the amount of pro-Corbyn social media activity will be because of the sheer proportion of the younger generation that support him, and the subsequent proportion of those on social media in comparison with the older core Tory support
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic