Abstained
2%
Abstained
2%

Total votes: 224

CJS

UKAR GE2017 exit poll

Post by CJS »

Maybe we don't want this, I don't know. Mods please delete if you think it's not appropriate...

...I'd be interested to see how closely UKAR is a microcosm of the UK as a whole - how close would UKAR be to the 'real' exit poll tomorrow.

So the only rule is you can't vote on here until you've cast your vote from 8am tomorrow.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

speedbird2639

Re: UKAR GE2017 exit poll

Post by speedbird2639 »

So the only rule is you can't vote on here until you've cast your vote from 8am tomorrow.

*Pedant klaxon*

Polls are open from 0700hrs

And what about those of us with Postal votes?
Last edited by speedbird2639 on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

What about postal votes? :whistle:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Klaxon heard - vote away :-)

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

You have missed out "Spoilt paper" - slightly different from abstain which could mean can't be a**** (bothered).
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I've just voted UKIP, who the hell who likes air shows voted Green??????? :dizzy:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

What about those of us that aren't old enough to vote, are we allowed here?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

CJS wrote:So the only rule is you can't vote on here until you've cast your vote from 8am tomorrow.

This post does not align with having the choice of abstain?

John

CJS

Post by CJS »

Oh alright I was rushing when I posted it! Use yer loaf and you'll figure it out John.

Pringles - well no, not really sorry. You can comment away (and obviously I can't stop you voting cos, I dunno, it's not actually a real exit poll!) but the idea was to see how closely UKAR voters mirrored UK voters overall. I think the vote should be extended to 16 and 17 year olds, but at the moment that's not the case.

Iain - you won't be spoiling your paper because that would be such a shocking betrayal of our hard won democracy... :-P so that's why it's not an option. Anyway I'm not sure abstaining really distinguishes between can't be arsed and something slightly, um, politer! :-)

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

Lol if this is what the actual result looks like.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Either some people were hiding their preference or they were lying on the election topic.....or they could, of course, be lying on here about who they voted for :lol:

Not voted yet, as there have been long queues outside the polling station since they opened, which is extremely unusual for a GE in this area.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

JonG96 wrote:Lol if this is what the actual result looks like.

Not a chance Torys seen to be between 10-13% ahead in 3 polls over the last couple of days.

TM is going to win - the only point of discussion is the size of her majority (oh er Mrs!)

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

speedbird2639 wrote:
JonG96 wrote:Lol if this is what the actual result looks like.

Not a chance Torys seen to be between 10-13% ahead in 3 polls over the last couple of days.

TM is going to win - the only point of discussion is the size of her majority (oh er Mrs!)

The GE discussion topic is elsewhere :wink:
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:Either some people were hiding their preference or they were lying on the election topic.....or they could, of course, be lying on here about who they voted for :lol:

Not voted yet, as there have been long queues outside the polling station since they opened, which is extremely unusual for a GE in this area.

Lying? On UKAR? :shock:

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

Either some people were hiding their preference or they were lying on the election topic.....or they could, of course, be lying on here about who they voted for

Or maybe some of us don't want to talk about politics on an aviation website? Mind you the forum would be dead otherwise.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Heck, it would be a pretty quiet - and no doubt boring - forum if the only thing people discussed/argued about on here was airshows & aircraft :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I would've thought politics sat particularly well within a (predominantly military) aviation forum given the allocation/ non arrival/ withdrawal of assets to/ from a show is likely to be operations driven which is likely to be politically driven. Ditto procurement which is much more likely to be based on what the politicians say each air force can have based on the money they are allowed to spend rather than based on their 'wish list'.

The disappearance of the Harrier and the Nimrod are 2 examples that immediately leap to mind as assets which disappeared from the air show circuit for largely political reasons rather than operational ones.

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

There's never been any votes in defence, in fact the whole terrorist sympathiser/Trident question has been a huge distraction when there are far more important issues to discuss.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Panem et circenses.
아직도 숨어있다

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Brevet Cable wrote:Panem et circenses.

Grammar school education by any chance?
From Wikipedia:
This phrase originates from Rome in Satire X of the Roman satirical poet Juvenal (circa A.D. 100). In context, the Latin panem et circenses (bread and circuses) identifies the only remaining cares of a Roman populace which no longer cares for its historical birthright of political involvement. Here Juvenal displays his contempt for the declining heroism of contemporary Romans, using a range of different themes including lust for power and desire for old age to illustrate his argument.[5] Roman politicians passed laws in 140 B.C. to keep the votes of poorer citizens, by introducing a grain dole: giving out cheap food and entertainment, "bread and circuses", became the most effective way to rise to power.

… Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses[6]

[...] iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli / uendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim / imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se / continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, / panem et circenses. [...]

(Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Juvenal here makes reference to the Roman practice of providing free wheat to Roman citizens as well as costly circus games and other forms of entertainment as a means of gaining political power. The Annona (grain dole) was begun under the instigation of the popularis politician Gaius Sempronius Gracchus in 123 B.C.; it remained an object of political contention until it was taken under the control of the autocratic Roman emperors.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nah, comprehensive kid through & through :lol:
Read lots of books on Roman history ( and lots of fiction set in that era )
아직도 숨어있다

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I did go to grammar school and I didn't know what it meant!

Macc

Post by Macc »

speedbird2639 wrote:I would've thought politics sat particularly well within a (predominantly military) aviation forum given the allocation/ non arrival/ withdrawal of assets to/ from a show is likely to be operations driven which is likely to be politically driven. Ditto procurement which is much more likely to be based on what the politicians say each air force can have based on the money they are allowed to spend rather than based on their 'wish list'.

Pretty sure there are a lot of people who appreciate aviation from a technical point of view that also don't let their hobby colour their political opinion. I am happy to see aircraft but I would rather see money go into things like education and healthcare, than so-called 'defence'.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Just been out to vote, school at the bottom of the road so not far. Not a scientific study but saw no one on the way there back, or when voting under the ago of 40 ish. Anybody else had a similar experience? It was busy but no more than previous GE's.