Home brew / wine making

Re: Home brew / wine making

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 15 Oct 2019, 4:14 pm

Been a while since I posted on this topic because I haven't brewed anything recently.
So the first thing I'll say is.....bugger!! :sad:
As with last year's crop, this year's grapes have been severely stuffed because of the weather -- more rotted, split, or just fallen off than last year.

Managed to salvage about 5L each of the red & white grapes, about half the reds that I managed last year.

Have to see how much juice I get from each, not expecting much more than about 3L from each, though.
Not going to mix them, so may resort to adding some water & dextrose to get the volumes up.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 16 Oct 2019, 4:49 pm

Well, crushed the grapes today and - as expected - about 3L of each :sad:
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 1:50 pm

Despite leaving it for 5 days, the red must isn't....not much colour came out of the skins, so it's not far off being 'white'.

Checked the OG...the Red is 1.046 , the White is 1.054
If I leave it at that, the Red will finish at about 6% ABV and the White at about 7%
To get a more normal ABV ( 10-14% ) I'll have to add about 1Kgof dextrose to the Red and about 500g to the White
Brevet Cable

Postby aceyone on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 3:07 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Despite leaving it for 5 days, the red must isn't....not much colour came out of the skins, so it's not far off being 'white'.

Checked the OG...the Red is 1.046 , the White is 1.054
If I leave it at that, the Red will finish at about 6% ABV and the White at about 7%
To get a more normal ABV ( 10-14% ) I'll have to add about 1Kgof dextrose to the Red and about 500g to the White

Can you still buy those tins of grape concentrate ? I used to use them a lot .
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 3:12 pm

Yep, you can still get the grape concentrate, although these days it tends to be in plastic bottles.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 05 Nov 2019, 2:42 pm

Reds are now looking pink ( better than white, I suppose ) and the White is currently yellowish.
Checked the SG on the Reds earlier and they're both down to 0.99 ( about 13% ABV ) and still fermenting.

Not checked the SG on the White as it's still fermenting quite vigorously.

Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 06 Nov 2019, 10:49 am

Long delayed - purchased a couple of years ago & cans have a 'best before' date of 06/18 - but finally got around to starting my first of two batches of Oatmeal Stout.

As with other Black Rock kits, it's supposed to be 2 cans to make 23L and around 4.5% ABV ( or that's what their website now says...no mention of the ABV on the cans )

I'm making this batch with one can plus around 10L water, together with 1Kg of ( dark ) molasses sugar and a Fuggles hops teabag.

Currently waiting for it to cool down enough to check the starting SG and add the yeast - not using the supplied yeast, I'll be trying Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast instead.

The just-mixed concoction - it's, um, very dark! :biggrin: .....

Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 1:17 pm

Both Reds were still at an SG of 0.99
White wine was down to an SG of 1.00 ( about 11.75% ABV )
I've 'stopped' all of them and placed them somewhere cool to help them settle out.

As for the Stout....
I checked the SG and it was 1.08 , which would potentially mean about 8.5% ABV :shock:

I decided that an SG of 1.06 ( potentially about 6% ABV ) is more sensible, so I added about 4L of water to get it down to that figure.
It's now been transferred to a larger ( 30L ) brewbucket because there wasn't much head-space left in the 15L one it was in.
Yeast's been added, so let's see how it goes....hopefully as the 30L bucket is just over half-full it won't froth over when fermenting.
Brevet Cable

Postby jukenson1 on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 5:50 am

Is there anybody in the wine-making community that knows a way that a homebrewer can make an authentic ice wine? It is very rare and expensive because a lot of unlikely occurrences must all coincide at once to make brewing a batch possible. I am wondering if I can use a freezer on the grapes and imitate the proper conditions needed to make a real ice wine. If I need to actually grow the grapes myself and pray for the weather during the harvest season to be exactly right, I am willing to take that route.

So tell me, is there any way to execute this, or is it a lost cause?
Last edited by jukenson1 on Sun 10 Nov 2019, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jukenson1

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 09 Nov 2019, 2:16 pm

Theoretically, yes, all you need to do is freeze the grapes, because it's just a method of getting highly-concentrated grape juice with a very high sugar content.

Never tried it myself, and most of the wine producers & vineyard owners I used to know down the Moselle Valley didn't bother as it was very hit-and-miss and took such a long time to make that it wasn't cost-effective commercially, not that the latter would be a factor if you're making it for yourself.

The problems with freezing the grapes at home are getting them to a low enough temperature ( the winter temperatures down the Moselle used to get to around -15C to -20C even in daytime ) may mean having a freezer just for them, plus the problem of crushing the frozen grapes - because they have to be frozen when crushing - whilst avoiding the ice getting into the resulting must.

From what I recall, the fermentation process for eiswein takes place at lower temperatures than normal wine, which is one of the reasons it takes so long to complete.

If you're just aiming for eiswein-style, you could try the same method that many home-spirits makers use for increasing the ABV of their spirits, namely extracting the juice as normal then freezing that and removing the ice by hand, or filtering-off the juice before the ice thaws ( again, not something I've tried )

You'd need to find a yeast which will 'start' with a very high sugar content but stop before it ferments all the sugar out.....you'd be looking at a finishing ABV of about 10% with a residual sugar content of around 15-20% ( depending on how sweet you want it )
Chances are you'd find you'd have to manually 'stop' the fermentation once it reaches the level you require.

Good luck if you do try it.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 13 Nov 2019, 1:25 pm

Wines are still settling out.

Stout hasn't done anything....my fault, stuck it in the ( unheated ) shed with the wines, where it got a bit too cold for the yeast to start. :oops:
It's now been brought back into the warm.
I decided to use that as an opportunity to lower the starting SG a bit more -- adding another 2L of water has brought it down to 1.05 , which should mean it'll finish at around 4.75-5% ABV.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 16 Nov 2019, 3:30 pm

The stout finally started fermenting. :biggrin:
Yesterday the SG was down to 1.03, today it's 1.02 ( about 4% ABV )
It's supposed to ferment down to 1.014 ( although that's with the kit yeast ) so theoretically not much further to go.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 21 Nov 2019, 10:14 am

White wine's bottled, as is one batch of the red.
In the process of bottling the second batch of red.
I've previously said that the 'red' was actually decidedly pink....how pink?....this pink!

:shock:
( That actually makes it look darker than it is....the real colour is closer to what the bottom part of the picture is )

Stout-wise....
The SG dropped lower than I was expecting, down to 1.00 ( presumably because I used a different yeast to the supplied one ) which means about 6.5% ABV.
I've now stuck it in the unheated shed in the hope of crash-stopping the fermentation.
Brevet Cable

Previous

Return to Off Topic