Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 5:16 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Its similar to TM in that he seems to be out out touch with the feelings of the Commons. Bluster, bluster bluster but you can't out bluster the maths. TM kept trying and failed and BJ seems to have learned nothing. He knew he had an issue , hence trying to shut down Parliament but, as we have seen, they just needed two days to cancel out his "no ifs, not buts" promise. The biggest difference is that BJ is openly looking to punish those who disagree with him.

The other thing is that, if you're going to lie, make it believable. The lack of effort/action re negotiations is clear for all to see.

One final thought, for now. IF we get a hung Parliament after the next GE, BJs style makes it very unlikely (impossible really) that any significant party will want to form a coalition government with him. Surely , this makes a Lab/Lib coalition far more likely.

Did he expect the Commons to do nothing in those two days?

Whatever people may think of her ( not a lot ) I think that at least TM really was trying to do what she thought was best, even if she did make a gash job of it.
BJ, on the other hand, gives the impression that he couldn't care less.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 5:37 pm

The fact that some may be getting "teary eyed" about TM sums up how dreadful BJ has been in such a short time,

meanwhile from Trump: "He’s a friend of mine, and he’s going at it, there’s no question about it ... Boris knows how to win. Don’t worry about him."
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:09 pm

Definitely not "teary eyed"- just illustrating the fact that no matter how crap she was, BoJo is infinitely worse.
Brevet Cable

Postby boff180 on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:13 pm

Spelman is my local MP, I always try to vote for my MP based on their personal manifesto for the local area and how that matches my views. Which meant that whilst I’m not really a conservative, I voted for her.

However, because of BoJo I was considering changing my views on the grounds of a vote for her is a vote for him.

Tonight she has voted against him and backed the bill, well done her and my faith in her is restored :clap:
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:37 pm

Getting utterly weird with the voting now....
Kinnock's amendment passed after Division vote called, because there were no tellers there for the 'No' voters...promptly followed by a number of other amendments being voted through whilst MPs were still in the division lobbies ( so again no tellers available )
Suggestion that it was a deliberate ploy by the Government not to oppose the amendments.
:dizzy:

boff180 wrote:Spelman is my local MP (snip)
Tonight she has voted against him and backed the bill, well done her and my faith in her is restored :clap:

Being rumoured that unlike yesterday's 'rebels' she won't be expelled from the Party.
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:41 pm

Because today’s votes are not being seen as a defacto vote of confidence in the government. Obviously :dizzy:
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 6:51 pm

The Bill ( amended ) has just had it's third & final vote....327 - 299
Now goes to the HofL.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 7:05 pm

Ken Clarke :clap: :worship: :lol:

Edited to add...
And Blackford on fine form again, really ripping into BoJo.

Edited again to say....
BoJo's been defeated 3 times today ( will it soon be 4 ? ) - does that beat May's record?
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 8:39 pm

And another defeat for BoJo....298-56, Labour abstained ( so the bill didn't get the required 66% )
Brevet Cable

Postby Tommy on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 8:41 pm

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby starbuck on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 10:47 pm

Listening to various rebel tories over the last few days and how they are being forced out of their party, it feels like history repeating itself and I'm listening to the Blairites when Corbyn and his gang took control of Labour a few years ago.

Speaking of history repeating apparently Boris lost one of the votes tonight 52% to 48%. Oh the irony!
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 7:27 am

It would be more accurate to compare the current shenanigans with what happened when Blair became Party Leader & decided to change the Party to 'New Labour' and oust/sideline all the old-school Labour MPs.

This is pretty accurate, I'd say...
Brevet Cable

Postby Mooshie1956 on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 7:42 am

Been off line all yesterday and will only be on at limited times, but I need to ask the question.
As PMBJ has said it's do or die about leaving on 30th October, and he has said he won't ask for an extension. Will he resign as PM or does it mean that he will revoke A50 ?. Because as it stands I can't see him getting the do part through and these as I see it are his only option for the die part.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 8:56 am

I think he's still pinning his hope on a GE.
Assuming the HoL get the 'No no-deal Bill' through tonight & it receives Royal Assent on Monday, he's hoping that the Opposition Parties will vote for an early GE to take place in early October....if he wins that ( primarily by his ploy of out-Brexiting Farage's Brexit Party ) he could then overturn that Bill & carry on with his no-deal Brexit scheme.

Or being the duplicitous scumbag he is, he could always hold off sending the Bill for Royal Assent until Parliament is prorogued, meaning it will lapse...so again, he can carry on plotting for a no-deal Brexit.

You can see why there's o trust whatsoever in him from many quarters.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 9:05 am

boff180 wrote:Spelman is my local MP

Bad news for you today....BBC reporting she's standing down as MP come the next GE.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 10:26 am

Oh, dear....
Even BoJo's brother appears to hate him! :lol:

Brevet Cable

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 11:29 am

I like Benn's sense of humour on this:

In the Brexit committee Michael Gove has just finished answering a series of questions about how Dover would cope with lorry arrivals in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Hilary Benn, the committee chair, did not sound hugely reassured, and he concluded by asking Gove to admit that no one actually knows what will happen in the event of no deal. Gove did not contest this, but replied:

"The future is known only to the Almighty."

Benn said unfortunately the Almighty would not be appearing as a witness.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby parsley on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 12:30 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Oh, dear....

As an MEP tweeted not long after the news broke "Probably the first time a cabinet minister has resigned to spend "less" time with his family" :grin:
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby CJS on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 3:01 pm

parsley wrote:

As an MEP tweeted not long after the news broke "Probably the first time a cabinet minister has resigned to spend "less" time with his family" :grin:

Did he knick that from the HIGNFY Facebook page or vice versa :whistle:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 4:15 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49584992
Government documents which suggest Boris Johnson agreed to suspend Parliament two weeks before making it public have been released to the media.
The memos emerged earlier this week during a failed legal challenge to the prime minister's plan.

The Court of Session has now agreed to a request by the BBC, the Times and the Sun to release the documents.

They include a note sent to the PM on 15 August asking if he wanted to prorogue parliament from mid-September.
A handwritten tick and the word "yes" can be seen on the document.

The documents also include a note, apparently handwritten by the prime minister on 16 August, which described the September session of Parliament as a "rigmarole introduced to show the public that MPs were earning their crust" and that he did not see "anything especially shocking about this proposition".
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 6:13 pm

What a pointless BBC article. Journalists are so keen to score an instant hit they don’t bother to think through the logic to the argument. If he hadn’t planned to porogue early then that has to mean he did it on a whim, far worse surely? You may not agree with the decision but rather a decision made with some thought and planning than not.
starbuck

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 7:01 pm

Its not the fact he was planning it, it's his public statements made whilst he was planning it. Proving that he was stating one policy and planning to execute another policy
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 7:12 pm

If anyone's interested, BBC Radio 4's 'The Briefing Room ( on now ) : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm
Brevet Cable

Postby parsley on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 7:29 pm

CJS wrote:
parsley wrote:

Did he knick that from the HIGNFY Facebook page or vice versa :whistle:

Quite possibly..I actually saw it quoted in the Guardian.
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby starbuck on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 7:32 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Its not the fact he was planning it, it's his public statements made whilst he was planning it. Proving that he was stating one policy and planning to execute another policy

Did he? Happy to be corrected but I don’t recall any statements to that effect. I’ve had a quick google and apart from the most recent hullabaloo the only quotes coming from him directly were during the leadership campaigning back in June and even then he didn’t rule it out.
starbuck

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic