Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby rockfordstone on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 11:01 am

FlankerPhoto wrote:Labour now backing a general election, it's happening.

i'll believe it when the vote goes through. corbyn has had more positions than the karma sutra
User avatar
rockfordstone

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 11:36 am

Corbyn hasn't actually said Labour will support today's bill, though, he's just said they'll support a December GE.
Being reported that - like the other Opposition Parties - he's pushing for a change to allow 16YOs the vote.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Spiny Norman on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 12:59 pm

Oh goodie. Six weeks of wall to wall politicians!
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 1:32 pm

It'll be a change from wall to wall Brexit, I suppose. :lol:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby AlexC on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 2:21 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:He's pushing for a change to allow 16YOs the vote.


It's perfectly obvious why he's doing that, however I think that 16 is just too young to vote, 18 is about right IMHO, although my 16 year old self would most probably have agreed with Corbie!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 2:28 pm

Early Parliamentary GE Bill being debated now

Image

Vote has just been won ( another loss for BoJo ) on Stella Creasy's amendment which enables votes to be held on amendments to the bill (as opposed to the business motion) brought forward by opposition parties and backbenchers.

Ken Clarke yet again making BoJo look like the fool that he is.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 2:30 pm

AlexC wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:He's pushing for a change to allow 16YOs the vote.


It's perfectly obvious why he's doing that, however I think that 16 is just too young to vote, 18 is about right IMHO, although my 16 year old self would most probably have agreed with Corbie!

And yet they were allowed to vote in the Scottish IndyRef.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby lambo17841 on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 2:32 pm

Yet again more delay,Clarke should keep quite as he is not even standing in the next election and should not try to influence others.

John
lambo17841

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 2:35 pm

He makes more sense than BoJo.
Doesn't take much doing, though, as so far all he's done in this debate is spout meaningless waffle and bollocks which has nothing to do with the actual Bill that's being debated. :dizzy:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 3:08 pm

HofC's pretty much empty.
Given what's being debated, pretty contemptible from all sides as far as I'm concerned.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby AlexC on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 4:32 pm

lambo17841 wrote:Clarke should keep quite


Keep quite quiet?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby rockfordstone on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 4:53 pm

lambo17841 wrote:Yet again more delay,Clarke should keep quite as he is not even standing in the next election and should not try to influence others.

John

but until the next election he is still a fully functioning MP elected to represent his constituents. his opinion and views on political process are as acceptable as any of the others in there.
User avatar
rockfordstone

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 5:26 pm

:up:
He's MP for Rushcliffe.
The same Rushcliffe that voted Remain in the 2016 Referendum by a fairly large majority ( 40,500 to 30,000 )
The same Rushcliffe which elected him as their MP in every single GE since 1970 ( which was the first one he stood in ) usually by a substantial majority.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Tommy on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 6:02 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
AlexC wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:He's pushing for a change to allow 16YOs the vote.


It's perfectly obvious why he's doing that, however I think that 16 is just too young to vote, 18 is about right IMHO, although my 16 year old self would most probably have agreed with Corbie!

And yet they were allowed to vote in the Scottish IndyRef.


I’ve thought about it quite a lot recently, and I think I do support extending the vote to 16 year olds (which I’m happy to discuss but probably in a separate thread), but I don’t see how, logistically speaking it is possible to implement in such a short space of time.

It’s the type of thing that should be done free and clear of an actual election (like sorting the first past the post system). Fix the roof whilst the sun isn’t shining, not when the rain clouds gather. But the Tories, even when not gridlocked by their own incompetence, would never bother because they have a much harder time convincing younger people to vote for them. So they’re just shooting themselves on the foot (which they are pros at, but I guess not on this count).

Much like the voter ID nonsense floated recently (again, I’m happy to debate in a separate thread) but those stupid rules impact the poorest the most, who again, the Tories have a much harder time convincing to vote for them.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 7:05 pm

Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm

Currently voting on an amendment to the bill to change the election date from 12th to 9th December.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby rockfordstone on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

Tommy wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:
AlexC wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:He's pushing for a change to allow 16YOs the vote.


It's perfectly obvious why he's doing that, however I think that 16 is just too young to vote, 18 is about right IMHO, although my 16 year old self would most probably have agreed with Corbie!

And yet they were allowed to vote in the Scottish IndyRef.


I’ve thought about it quite a lot recently, and I think I do support extending the vote to 16 year olds (which I’m happy to discuss but probably in a separate thread), but I don’t see how, logistically speaking it is possible to implement in such a short space of time.


worth noting whilst the tories are against 16 year old's voting in the election, they did allow them to vote for their leadership...
User avatar
rockfordstone

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby FlankerPhoto on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 7:56 pm

Chinook routing down the Thames drowning out the BBC interviewee.. :clap:
FlankerPhoto

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:00 pm

Well, it won't be on 9th December, then.

FlankerPhoto wrote:Chinook routing down the Thames drowning out the BBC interviewee.. :clap:

'Them' en-route to the HofC to fulfil BoJo's 'dead in a ditch' wish..... :whistle: :biggrin:

Now voting on having the GE on 12th December ( wonder what'll happen if MPs vote against it )
And it looks like the DUP & LibDems are abstaining, because none of them have gone out to vote.
Last edited by Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby rockfordstone on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:07 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Well, it won't be on 9th December, then.

FlankerPhoto wrote:Chinook routing down the Thames drowning out the BBC interviewee.. :clap:

'Them' en-route to the HofC to fulfil BoJo's 'dead in a ditch' wish..... :whistle: :biggrin:

Now voting on having the GE on 12th December ( wonder what'll happen if MPs vote against it )

Johnson will complain about them blocking brexit or something
User avatar
rockfordstone

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm

And by an extremely narrow margin ( 438 to 20 :wink: ) they've voted for 12th December.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby verreli on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:29 pm

Who says turkeys can't vote for Christmas !
Last edited by verreli on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verreli

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

Just think, though....that'll mean the next PM & Government take their seats on Friday 13th.
Nomen est omen :biggrin:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby verreli on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:40 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Just think, though....that'll mean the next PM & Government take their seats on Friday 13th.
Nomen est omen :biggrin:


Surely only a problem if you're a knight templar?
verreli

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Postby starbuck on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:51 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Just think, though....that'll mean the next PM & Government take their seats on Friday 13th.
Nomen est omen :biggrin:


You’re going on the basis there will be a single party with an overall majority eh? Quite a bold assumption in this current climate :lol:
starbuck

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], nighthawk999 and 13 guests