UKAR Desert Island Discs

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
CJS

UKAR Desert Island Discs

Post by CJS »

Just as it says - you choose 8 recordings (doesn't have to be music), one book and one luxury item (that can't help you escape and which cannot connect you to the outside world). You get the Complete Works of Shakespeare and a religious text of your choice thrown in for good measure.

Here are mine:

1. Even Flow by Pearl Jam. My favourite song from one of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands.
2. Find the River by REM. My favourite song from my favourite album by my favourite band.
3. End of the Line, by the Travelling Wilburys. Proving that a supergroup really can be super.
4. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, by Monty Python. Well, it would cheer me up!
5. Wild Horses, by the Rolling Stones. Sublime songwriting.
6. Pale Blue Eyes, by The Velvet Underground. Ditto.
7. Soul Limbo, by Booker T and the MGs. For me, a very meaningful song.
8. Every Day is Yours To Win, by REM. A beautiful song by a band just about to call it a day.

Book - A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson. Such an accessible and fascinating history of the universe, which would I think help to keep everything in some kind of perspective.

Religious text - The Buddhist Tripitaka. I'm not one, but I suspect it might help me to stay calm!

Luxury item - my acoustic guitar.

Over to you, UKARians... :grin:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Tmyers123

Re: UKAR Desert Island Discs

Post by Tmyers123 »

Recordings:

1. Have you ever seen the rain? by Creedence Clearwater Revival
2. Paranoid by Post Malone
3. Thunderstruck by AC/DC
4. Shoot to thrill by AC/DC
5. Walk by A7X
6. So far away by A7X
7. ELEMENT by Kendrick Lamar
8. Have a drink on me by AC/DC

Book - Apache by Ed Macy. A gripping true story from an ex Army Air Corps Apache pilot, detailing his time with 656 Squadron in Afghanistan.

Religious text - None.

Luxury item - i’d have to go for a guitar too.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Recordings:

1. Rocket Man (03 remix) - Elton John. Such a good song, and naturally about being a long, long way from home.

2. Drops Of Jupiter - Train. Great feel-good song.

3. Don’t Stop Me Now - Queen. The greatest frontman of them all sounding like he’s having a whale of a time.

4. All Too Well - Taylor Swift. An incredible piece of heartfelt songwriting.

5. The Bewlay Brothers - David Bowie. Lyrically perfect, from the master himself.

6. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman. Just a beautiful song.

7. The Fool On The Hill - The Beatles. Hard to narrow it down, but impossible not to include a Beatles track.

8. Always Number One - Alistair Griffin. A great song by a criminally underrated and overlooked singer-songwriter.

Book:

The Railway Children - E. Nesbit. Must have read this fifty times as a kid, and never tired of it.

Religious text - not for me, thanks.

Luxury item:

A million bags of Yorkshire Gold tea.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

If audio-books class as 'recordings' and if a 'recording' can be more than one item......
1. Terry Pratchett box set
2. Brian Callison box set
3. 'Old Harry's Game' box set

4. 'Ace Of Spades' - can't beat a bit of Motorhead headbanging
5. 'Der Ring des Nibelungen' - can't beat Wagner.
6. 'Paint it Black' - the best song the Rolling Stones ever did.
7. 'Myfanwy' - by any decent Welsh Male Voice Choir, or Ryan Davies.
8. 'Purple Haze' - Hendrix.

Book : 'The Killer Angels' - Michael Shaara's classic.

Religious text : any decent translation into English of the 'Red Book of Hergest'

Luxury item : a 1960s Honda CB92 motorbike ....... May not be able to ride it - once the petrol tank's empty - but endless hours of fun potching with it ( as they came with a pretty full tool-kit )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Top 8 tunes

1 Ride - Leave Them All Behind - eight minutes of Oxfordshire's finest.
2 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps - one with a special place in my heart
3 Pixies - Gouge Away - archetypal Pixies - nothing better
4 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Am I Only - awe-inspiring as only BRMC can be.
5 Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey - simple, powerful
6 Mercury Rev - The Dark is Rising - beautiful stuff - rarely leaves dry eyes
7 Public Image Ltd - Public Image - still raises goose bumps when that bass line starts
8 Mogwai - Every Country's Sun - a new and very welcome addition

and about a hundred other candidates

Book wise - The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - a trilopy in six parts
Luxury? - a decent pillow

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

This is the first time I've ever attempted this, and boy is it hard. I love my music, and to condense it to seven recordings is a tough 'un. If I did it again tomorrow the list would probably look very different.

1. Beethoven Symphony no.6 "Pastoral". Its my childhood, my dad, and pure joy.
2. Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin. As a teenager I was drawn to what I thought were rock records with a swagger, that my big sister's mates listened to. Could be Joplin, Hendrix, Led Zep, the Stones. When the penny dropped that what I was listening to was the blues, it was a revelation. The blues has been my go to sound ever since, although not exclusively. This track is not pure blues like much of Janis's stuff but its a fave and I never tire of it.
3. You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones. Can't do this without the Stones. And this track seems appropriate.
4. I'm Ready - Muddy Waters. Some classic Chicago R&B. Could pick any from hundreds of 'standards'.
5. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett. Well if I'm going to be on an island I need the master of island music. Pass the boat drinks.
6. Bamboleo - Gipsy Kings. Reminds me of so many parties and good times. Will always make me smile.
7. North Country Boy - Charlatans. Cos I am one.

Book: I read a lot but don't have a work of fiction I keep returning to. I'll take the book I'm reading now, so I don't have to leave it half way through. Spitfire by John Nichol.

Luxury item: hmm. Well, camera, car, and bikes are pretty useless where I'm going. My guitar would end up frustrating me as usual. So I'll take a nice drinks cabinet please.

Religious text: Stokoe, Sunderland and '73 - Lance Hardy :wink:

OK, so I get 8, not 7. Picking just one more... I'll just have a think about that one :smile:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

MarkVTX

Post by MarkVTX »

1. Wish You Were Here - Floyd.
2. The King Will Come - Wishbone Ash.
3. Rise Up And Fight - Crippled Black Phoenix.
4. Orgone Accumulator - Hawkwind.
5. Xanadu - Rush
6. Death Trip - Cockney Rebel.
7. Pigs on the Wing Parts 1&2 - Floyd.

Book : Beowulf.

Religious Text : Nope.

Luxury Item : Solar powered, fully stacked jukebox.
Welcome to the Machine

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

In no particular order

1-Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd ( Pulse )
2-Dives and Lazarus-Vaughan Williams
3-Ommadawn-Mike Oldfield
4-I'll take the rain-R.E.M
5-Roads -Portishead
6-Ara Batur-Sigur Rhos
7-Politik - Coldplay
8-Nothing else matters-Metallica

Luxury item-Either my acoustic guitar or my Leica bins

Book -Dancers at the end of time trilogy-Michael Moorcroft

Religious Text- No thanks
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

1. Like A Hurricane- Neil Young & Crazy Horse (preferably a really long, meandering live version)
2. Complete Control- The Clash (classic punk 7", a complete adrenaline rush)
3. Pretty Vacant- Sex Pistols (see above)
4. Gimmie Shelter- The Rolling Stones (never tire of this classic)
5. Second Skin- The Chameleons (great track from a flawless album)
6. Orgone Accumulator- Hawkwind (interesting that someone else picked this too)
7. Soon- My Bloody Valentine (epic swirling guitar FX masterpiece)
8. Violence Of The Red Sea- Earthless (intense 15 minute psyche guitar jam, Isaiah Mitchell is a virtually unknown guitar god)

Book- The Hound Of The Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Religious Text- No thanks

Luxury- Electric guitar and a very loud amplifier.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Assuming that I can actually listen to the recordings that I have on the desert island, then I choose :-

1) Rock and Roll Train - AC/DC
2) I Was Told - Rhino Bucket
3) Flying in a Blue Dream - Joe Satriani
4) The Rescue - Alan Silvestri from Delta Force Soundtrack
5) Thunderstruck - AC/DC
6) Shine - Shannon Noll
7) Brandenburg Concertos - Bach
8) Doom and Gloom - Rolling Stones

Religious Text - I don't think so

Book - A Man on the Moon : The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts :tongue:

Luxury Item - M4 with M203 Grenade Launcher and stacks of ammo, I would wish to stay alone :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

I know some may think it's a stupid question, by why do so many of you scorn the option of the religious text?
You don't have to be a botherer of any deity, or have any belief whatsoever, to read them.

The Old Testament? Probably got more sex & violence in it than most modern books.
Then you can throw in stuff like the Norse Sagas, which are often about various Gods.
Or the likes of the 'Epic of Gilgamesh', Ovid's 'Metamorphoses', etc.
A good story is a good story, whatever the subject matter.
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Amen brother...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I was lucky enough to spend the 90s producing dance music professionally, so my choices are mainly records that I have admired along the way.

1. New Order - Blue Monday. During my childhood in the 80s I loved all of the synth pop on the radio. Blue Monday was and still is head and shoulders above the rest.
2. Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full. Later in the 80s I became more aware of hip hop. Rakim is still the best rapper I have ever heard.
3. Dionne - Come Get My Lovin'. Acid House, what a time to be a teenager. I guess like the punk scene before us it was very cool to be into a scene which the newspapers viewed as a full scale moral panic.
4. Elevation - Can You Feel It. In the early 90s the rave scene really took off in the UK, this for me represents the sound beautifully.
5. Omni Trio - Renegade Snares. The high water mark of the rave scene.
6. DJ Krust - Warhead RAM trilogy remix. I never worked in drum & bass, but I spent a lot of time with the DJs and producers as I was playing at the same events. They were so into what they were doing and it really showed.
7. Veracocha - Carte Blanche. Trance was big around the turn of the millennium. I quite liked it and even though the business side of it was a bit annoying, we did a few things anyway. Of all the trance I heard at the time Carte Blanche was by far my favourite.
8. Leftfield - Inspection (Check One). Leftfield are my favourite band, I like everything they ever did. Inspection has the additional benefit of featuring Britain's most legendary rapper, Roots Manuva.

Book - George Orwell 1984. I could read this for ever.

Religious text - Bhagavad Gita. This is so widely quoted that it must be good!

Luxury - A massive Toblerone!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I thought I'd do something different and pick my top 8 out of those that have already been picked. Got four so far:-

Wild Horses
Fast Car
Purple Haze
End of the Line
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

It's almost impossible to choose eight recordings, isn't it? This is a snapshot, tomorrow might well be different judging by how many I crossed out today.

1. 633 Squadron - Ron Goodwin. Simply the most joyous, triumphant military march ever, and I defy anyone not to put their foot down in the car...
2. Jungleland - Springsteen. Just amazing. It's essentially free verse, how does he make that into rock and roll?
3. Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones. (Thinks: is this my religious text?) Beatles or Stones? Stones. On Wednesdays, anyway.
4. Symphony No. 9 - From the New World - Dvorak. I don't get classical music in general, but this I like all the way through.
5. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd. Old and tired and bitter but still defiant.
6. Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC. Live of course, crowd chanting "Angus!": full on unapologetic macho rock.
7. Days of Our Lives - Queen. First encountered this on Mark Mainwaring's fantastic (Phantastic?) Phantom Phinale video - blown away on every level.
8. Enigma variations: Nimrod - Elgar. It says everything I feel about being English.

Book: Lord of the Rings. A good read and a long one. And perhaps an escape from that desert island for a few days (every few months: I have read and re-read my copies till they disintegrate, the cover's off the current one).

Luxury: a comfortable chair in which to listen to my recordings!

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

1. La Villa Strangiato - Rush
2. Coma- Guns n Roses
3. Lord of Light- Hawkwind
4. 2112(all of it)-Rush
5. Watermelon in Easter Hay- Frank Zappa
6. Candyman-Grateful Dead
7. Shine on you Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
8. Riders on the Storm- The Doors

Religious text- The Bible

Reading matter- the complete works of Douglas Adams

Luxury item - Towel. never mess with a man who knows where his towel is.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Being a tight git I thought I would get my money's worth out of my musical choices so I've gone for songs that mean a lot to me but are all definitely 12 inch rather than 7

1. Telegraph Road - Dire Straits. Even if your hearing this song for the first time you just know it's going to be something epic by the end and it is.
2. Give it up or turn it loose - James Brown. Could have picked any of his tunes from this era but the part in the middle where it breaks to just Clyde Stubblefields drumming and then Bootsy Collins comes in with the Bass just brings a smile to my face whenever I hear it
3. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield. Alright it takes up a side and a half of an album but it's still one song right?
4. You've got the love - Source & Candi Staton. Anyone of the early 90's mixes of this will do.
5. How many more times - Led Zeppelin. They were never afraid to put a long tune on any of their albums and this has a decent Bonham solo and then the pounding ending
6. Papa was a rolling stone - Temptations. Motown with attitude but still full of amazing strings and the best front man the temps ever had in Dennis Edwards.
7. Scheherazade - Rimsky Korsakov. Heard this as a kid and its never left me.

Religious book - don't care, whichever one has the most pages as they will all get used for the same purpose.

Book - going to cheat a little and go for all the volumes of Churchills history of the English speaking peoples. Never read it but if it is anything like as well written as his six volumes of the second world war it should help me while away the hours.

Luxury item - drum kit

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

1. Imagine John Lennon
2. All You Need Is Love The Beatles
3. He Lives In You Lebo M
4. Circle Of Life Elton John
5. Music. In My Soul Sandi Thom
6. This Is The Life Amy MacDonald
7. Loch Lomond Runrig
8. In My Life The Beatles

Book probably all my Beatles biography books

Luxury Item My Binoculars and bird notebooks.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

Strewth this is difficult, so many good bands and songs to leave out and my favourites change all the time. All of these would be live versions (apart from The Stone Roses possibly!). Some fantastic choices so far:

1. Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
2. She's a Superstar - Verve
3. Rez/Cowgirl - Underworld
4. Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads
5. Steppin' Out - Cream
6. Sproston Green - The Charlatans
7. Liar - Queen
8. I am the Resurrection - The Stone Roses

Book - His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman.
Religious texts don't interest me at all.
Luxury -comfy chair.