Cricket World Cup

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
CJS

Cricket World Cup

Post by CJS »

Bit late starting the thread perhaps, but oh well...

COME ON ENGLAND...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by MarkL »

My nerves are in Shreds.
HTAFC

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

WOW...

What an ending, Well Done England!!!

Commiserations to New Zealand though.

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

So glad terrestrial viewers got to see what a great sport it is too, unbelievable stuff! The damage done by the paywall can't be overestimated.

CJS

Post by CJS »

CJS wrote:Bit late starting the thread perhaps, but oh well...

COME ON ENGLAND...

Well that went well :lol:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

maltwoser wrote:So glad terrestrial viewers got to see what a great sport it is too, unbelievable stuff! The damage done by the paywall can't be overestimated.

:lol:

England may never have won the World Cup without Sky Investment - Ashley Giles who is integral to that winning team would agree with me.

Quite a sporting achievement. Stunning scenes.

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

Fantastic............

Next up whack the Aussies in the Ashes hopefully.

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

Unbelievable match, I’ve been completely converted this tournament.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

I am not really a cricket fan but did get quite excited about yesterday.

I have a question for someone more knowledgeable on the subject:

On the last ball NZ needed 2 runs to win but only got 1 so drew and we won on the number of boundaries scored.

I thought that if someone was run out on the second length of the wicket they would not count either of those runs, but yesterday they counted one of them. Has this always been the case or is it a rule change in the last decades since I took an interest in the game?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

psquiddy wrote:I am not really a cricket fan but did get quite excited about yesterday.

I have a question for someone more knowledgeable on the subject:

On the last ball NZ needed 2 runs to win but only got 1 so drew and we won on the number of boundaries scored.

I thought that if someone was run out on the second length of the wicket they would not count either of those runs, but yesterday they counted one of them. Has this always been the case or is it a rule change in the last decades since I took an interest in the game?

That has always been the case - any completed runs, where the batsmen cross over are counted - up to the run out. In fact New Zealand benefited in the super over, and England did on the last ball of the original 50 overs.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I have to say, I like cricket but have never been an avid follower but really, really got into this world cup. Very easy to listen to at work, and the semi was incredible to follow. This final was unreal. I think it might be the greatest match of any sport I've seen, the tension and drama and sheer luck involved was just astonishing. I was shaking like a leaf for the last three overs, felt sick when Neesham got that six in the super over....then screamed myself hoarse when Buttler ran him out. The very, very best of sport.

I genuinely think Stokes' sixes in the final over are the most insane thing I've ever seen in live sport. The sheer, impossible luck of it...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

It was once in a lifetime sporting moment, what an event. Truly great and I don't think we'll ever see the like again.

I then rather over-celebrated. And I now feel rough as heck! :grin:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

England may never have won the World Cup without Sky Investment - Ashley Giles who is integral to that winning team would agree with me.

Not sure the King of Spain reads UKAR :smile:

8.3 million people watched the final yesterday, a figure you would never have reached on Sky Sports only. I've played cricket for years and was first inspired by the BBC coverage. The game is dying apart from in small pockets of the country and fee-paying schools. The ECB are belatedly seeing the benefits of putting some of The Hundred matches on free to view TV. Speaking of which, how daft does that competition look now? You've just converted a load of people to the sport and the next game you show is a completely different format that no-one else in the world plays, leading to confusion for the casual and newly-converted fan. Madness.

Anyway, what a match. Well done England and Wales!

CJS

Post by CJS »

maltwoser wrote:

Not sure the King of Spain reads UKAR :smile:

8.3 million people watched the final yesterday, a figure you would never have reached on Sky Sports only. I've played cricket for years and was first inspired by the BBC coverage. The game is dying apart from in small pockets of the country and fee-paying schools. The ECB are belatedly seeing the benefits of putting some of The Hundred matches on free to view TV. Speaking of which, how daft does that competition look now? You've just converted a load of people to the sport and the next game you show is a completely different format that no-one else in the world plays, leading to confusion for the casual and newly-converted fan. Madness.

Anyway, what a match. Well done England and Wales!

Is it?

Every school I've ever worked in have it on the curriculum every summer - this year I've had coaches in to work with all ages from 5-11, the team have taken part in 3 tournaments and we took a load of kids to a game in Bristol earlier in the year.

It's not dying where I'm from, and I don't think the greater Bristol area is especially uncommon in that regard. My brother teaches in Huddersfield and my mum in Surrey - same story there (state schools too btw...)

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

That's great to hear, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the next generation of cricketers! I'm just going by my experiences and reports I've read on the decline of people playing regular cricket. I firmly believe though that the effect of England's superb cricket at times since 2005 has been much reduced by not being available for all to see.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Nearest I ever got to liking cricket was playing Howzat.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

CJS

Post by CJS »

maltwoser wrote:That's great to hear, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the next generation of cricketers! I'm just going by my experiences and reports I've read on the decline of people playing regular cricket. I firmly believe though that the effect of England's superb cricket at times since 2005 has been much reduced by not being available for all to see.

I do agree that that must be having a negative effect on the grassroots game for sure.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

There's absolutely loads of Sky money gone into grass roots cricket. You have to wonder what shape the sport would be in without the revenue of the TV income, all the way from the first class game to grass roots.

At the end of the day there is very little sport on free to air TV, so many sports fans have Sky. I won't say 'most', because I'd be guessing. But a lot. Or they go somewhere to watch it, on Sky.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums