Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Post Reply
IATthenRIAT
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Did anyone see the mid day news where a gov official said survival packs for an unknown even should be prepaired by everyone, the offical said it was a "just in case situation"

Whats this all about?

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by IATthenRIAT »




So its come from UK gov but why? there must be a reason behind planing for what situation what do they think might happen?

User avatar
AlexC
Posts: 6040
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:40 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by AlexC »

A 'flashlight' ?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by IATthenRIAT »

What could the possibilities be -

Mass Sun Flare causing loss of all electrical power systems and everything that relies on power?
UFO event?
Huge Earthquake?
Civil unrest due to something?

RAF4EVER
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Hoofddorp The Netherlands

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by RAF4EVER »

Maybe a no deal Brexit. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Jakesplanes
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri 05 Feb 2016, 3:47 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Jakesplanes »

We’ve had a bag by the door for years. It’s just a case of preparation, even if it’s just for something as simple as your house burning down. Hope it never comes in useful.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6798
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Pen Pusher »

IATthenRIAT wrote:So its come from UK gov but why?

Did you not read the BBC link?.
A police campaign to get the public to prepare a "grab-and-go" bag in case of emergencies has been both criticised and mocked by social media users.

'A police Campaign', started by Scottish police, did you not see their Twitter post in the BBC link, and everyone else picking up on it and ridiculing it.

Its recommendations were part of an annual Preparedness Month

Annual as in happens every year.

Some users were concerned that the the tweet would scare people into thinking there was a reason for the sudden advice.

Worked on you didn't it. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7744
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by CJS »

Jakesplanes wrote:We’ve had a bag by the door for years. It’s just a case of preparation, even if it’s just for something as simple as your house burning down. Hope it never comes in useful.


I'm the same, it's not got much in in, just the essentials in case of an emergency:

Copy of passport
Bit of money
Torch
All my RIAT photos
My teddy
Harmonica
Ukelele
Guitars
Drumkit
my three year old son (he doesn't like living in there, but it said to include things you couldn't live without...)
A 5kg block of strong cheese (which, obviously, I have to keep replacing to ensure complete freshness)
10p for the phone
And a hanky (sorry, just thought I was back at Cubs c.1987...)
My LibDem flag.

So all sorted...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Homer
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Homer »

CJS wrote:
Jakesplanes wrote:We’ve had a bag by the door for years. It’s just a case of preparation, even if it’s just for something as simple as your house burning down. Hope it never comes in useful.


I'm the same, it's not got much in in, just the essentials in case of an emergency:


Copy of passport - on my phone
Bit of money - on my phone (assuming Google pay still works)
Torch - on my phone
All my RIAT photos - on my phone
....I think you get the idea.

I keep a powerbank by the door. :surrender:

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Brevet Cable »

CJS wrote:10p for the phone

Good luck on that one, either in finding a phone which still takes real money or even in finding a public phone at all.... :biggrin:

As the article originated with the Scottish Polis, they're obviously worried about the Neds rioting when imports are restricted post-Brexit & more so post-Independance.
What you really need is something to distract them to facilitate your escape, so your grab-bag should include essential items such as....
Bottles of Buckie/White Lightning, assorted bags of weed & chang, and a handful of deep-fried Mars bars.
:lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

vandal
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by vandal »

Brevet Cable wrote:
CJS wrote:10p for the phone

Good luck on that one, either in finding a phone which still takes real money or even in finding a public phone at all.... :biggrin:

As the article originated with the Scottish Polis, they're obviously worried about the Neds rioting when imports are restricted post-Brexit & more so post-Independance.
What you really need is something to distract them to facilitate your escape, so your grab-bag should include essential items such as....
Bottles of Buckie/White Lightning, assorted bags of weed & chang, and a handful of deep-fried Mars bars.
:lol:


These items wouldn't be in a grab bag Brevet, they'd be in a 'polly' one. :grin:

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Brevet Cable »

CJS wrote:Copy of passport
Bit of money
Torch
All my RIAT photos
My teddy
Harmonica
Ukelele
Guitars
Drumkit
my three year old son (he doesn't like living in there, but it said to include things you couldn't live without...)
A 5kg block of strong cheese (which, obviously, I have to keep replacing to ensure complete freshness)
10p for the phone
And a hanky (sorry, just thought I was back at Cubs c.1987...)
My LibDem flag.


Homer wrote:Copy of passport - on my phone
Bit of money - on my phone (assuming Google pay still works)
Torch - on my phone
All my RIAT photos - on my phone
I keep a powerbank by the door. :surrender:


No matches/lighter?
No Swiss Army knife/multitool?
No first aid kit?
No spare socks?

Chris, you evidently didn't progress to the Scouts....because if you did you'd know 'Do Your Best' isn't good enough and that you should 'Be Prepared' :lol:

Oh, and.......You're all going to DIE !! :tongue:
Still, all the more left for proper preppers, then! :win:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7744
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:
CJS wrote:Copy of passport
Bit of money
Torch
All my RIAT photos
My teddy
Harmonica
Ukelele
Guitars
Drumkit
my three year old son (he doesn't like living in there, but it said to include things you couldn't live without...)
A 5kg block of strong cheese (which, obviously, I have to keep replacing to ensure complete freshness)
10p for the phone
And a hanky (sorry, just thought I was back at Cubs c.1987...)
My LibDem flag.



No matches/lighter?
No Swiss Army knife/multitool?
No first aid kit?
No spare socks?

Chris, you evidently didn't progress to the Scouts....because if you did you'd know 'Do Your Best' isn't good enough and that you should 'Be Prepared' :lol:



Ah no, it's just that I carry these things with me at all times anyway - on my special belt :shock: :tongue: :heyhey:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Brevet Cable »

Bumbag, manbag, or PLCE/MOLLE ?

Go on....that's you, isn't it....
Image

:lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7744
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by CJS »

I wish I could say it wasn't, but my mummy always told me not to lie...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

User avatar
neilos
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue 02 Sep 2008, 9:10 am
Location: sunny melbourn

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by neilos »

IATthenRIAT wrote:



So its come from UK gov but why? there must be a reason behind planing for what situation what do they think might happen?


Let’s just say, and god forbid it doesn’t, your house burns down. You’ve lost everything, mortgage, life insurance, house contents, pension documents, blah, blah.

But, you’ve kept an emergency rucksack with all the essentials you need to get out quick. And all those important documents are pdf’d onto a portable hard drive. No good saving them to the ‘cloud’ because if it’s ‘another event’ and the interweb goes down, you’re stuffed as you can’t access the documents.

Marathon Milkshake
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:37 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

neilos wrote: And all those important documents are pdf’d onto a portable hard drive. No good saving them to the ‘cloud’ because if it’s ‘another event’ and the interweb goes down, you’re stuffed as you can’t access the documents.


Same if its the end of society as we know it, documents on a hard drive are no good without power....survival of the fittest my friends, tent, candles, lighter and some form of weaponry to survive off the land, say a good long katana and a machine gun are essential bits of kit!
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

Wryneck
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue 17 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Re: Govenment survival pack for everyone.

Post by Wryneck »

Marathon Milkshake wrote:
neilos wrote: And all those important documents are pdf’d onto a portable hard drive. No good saving them to the ‘cloud’ because if it’s ‘another event’ and the interweb goes down, you’re stuffed as you can’t access the documents.


Same if its the end of society as we know it, documents on a hard drive are no good without power....survival of the fittest my friends, tent, candles, lighter and some form of weaponry to survive off the land, say a good long katana and a machine gun are essential bits of kit!


Ah, this must be for the "Health & safety" generation that need everything spelt out for them, if not they haven't got a clue what to do. Surprised they can even breed without instructions... :up: The human race hasn't managed to survived for thousands of years... oh, wait...

In a "survival back pack", electrical items are pointless, they won't keep you alive :lmao: What if it was an EMP attack? Anything electrical will be dead! If documents are that important, then keep a PAPER copy of your 'essential' documents in a plastic wallet inside said survival pack - that would be more sensible...

And if its just YOUR house that burns down, do you really think that banks etc. would just say, sorry you've lost your paperwork, nothing we can do, you didn't keep your survival back-pack near you front door now did you... tut, tut!

I like the "Emergency Plan" - what are we to "plan" for exactly? Every eventuality? Therefore may as well ditch this idea and just stay safe... in your well stocked, shelter, known as your home :up:

Post Reply