RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
frank

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by frank »

Sorry got my answer to my query. Thanks
Last edited by frank on Thu 14 Jul 2022, 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

grant_w wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 5:24 am
Can anyone tell me the airfield capacity for Friday and the weekend please?
Full! :wink:

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Stagger2 wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 5:37 am
grant_w wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 5:24 am
Can anyone tell me the airfield capacity for Friday and the weekend please?
Full! :wink:
Well quite, just trying to see the difference between Friday and Saturday. Don't think I've been with a sold out Friday before

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

From the videos that Tonka flypast looked amazing. How great would it have been as part of the actual Flying time for all to see.

Enjoy today guys.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Does anyone know which carpark involves the least walk to the showground please? Can't walk far due to old injury.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 6:59 am
Does anyone know which carpark involves the least walk to the showground please? Can't walk far due to old injury.
Blue gets you right into the middle. Don’t forget the shuttle buses which have 5 or 6 stops.
One strategy could be come in blue, walk up the green side, catch bus to red end and walk back to blue. I use them a lot over the weekend and if you get an open top one it’s good for photography as they usually run up the back of the aircraft line in green.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

No E-4 or A-4 on the list for today. I believe the E-4 is in the Middle East with Biden and will land here tomorrow once he’s on the way home - take with a pinch of salt.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Meep

Post by Meep »

UKTopgun wrote:
It's hard to judge as they all have multiple car parks, for example green, I've been both the closest I've ever been and furthest away, if you get lucky and go on the actual concrete you can be really close, if you get unlucky you're in a field a long way away. Additionally unless they try their hardest to funnel you depending which direction you come from

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

Meep wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 7:18 am
UKTopgun wrote:
It's hard to judge as they all have multiple car parks, for example green, I've been both the closest I've ever been and furthest away, if you get lucky and go on the actual concrete you can be really close, if you get unlucky you're in a field a long way away. Additionally unless they try their hardest to funnel you depending which direction you come from
I did read that someone said the Red car park is not on base this year, does anyone know where it will be please ? The only place I can think is across the road in the grass field and amongst the small buildings as it was a few years back.

mbowde

Post by mbowde »

bishbashbosh wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 7:17 am
No E-4 or A-4 on the list for today. I believe the E-4 is in the Middle East with Biden and will land here tomorrow once he’s on the way home - take with a pinch of salt.
Indeed it is, following him on his trip to Israel (think it’s parked up in Souda Bay?) My guess is it will leave after AF1 and once thats safely on its way will land at RIAT probably late on tomorrow (would have to check Bidens schedule to see when he’s leaving) and be parked up close to the runway in green ready for a quick exit.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 7:16 am
UKTopgun wrote:
Blue gets you right into the middle. Don’t forget the shuttle buses which have 5 or 6 stops.
One strategy could be come in blue, walk up the green side, catch bus to red end and walk back to blue. I use them a lot over the weekend and if you get an open top one it’s good for photography as they usually run up the back of the aircraft line in green.
That's helpful, much appreciated

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Meep wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 7:18 am
UKTopgun wrote:
Many thanks for this

richyrara

Post by richyrara »

I'm taking my dad by car (tomorrow) - if the fields are filling up when we arrive, meaning a fair old hike, is it possible to drive to the blue gate, drop him off and drive back to park? Or are there strict one-ways in operation? Thanks.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Ive been guilty in the past of taking helicopters for granted but that Wessex and Sea King duo looks superb
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

richyrara wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 8:40 am
is it possible to drive to the blue gate, drop him off and drive back to park?
I seriously doubt that would be possible, could you imagine the carnage of having hundreds, of not thousands of vehicles trying to do three-point turns at the top of the lane because they want to drop someone off?

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Any news on skyhawk?

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

The E4 and A4 are both ? for Friday in the listings so hopefully both will come after the flying Friday if at all.

Could not find Biden's time of leaving Middle East unless anyone else knows where to look?

Post by 106500 »

Wow, flames from the JAS 39 Gripen! Normal? Dump and burn?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

richyrara wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 8:40 am
I'm taking my dad by car (tomorrow) - if the fields are filling up when we arrive, meaning a fair old hike, is it possible to drive to the blue gate, drop him off and drive back to park? Or are there strict one-ways in operation? Thanks.
It's buried in the FAQs somewhere that you can't do drop offs at all. I was looking to get my partner in to Kempsford on Saturday and I have to wait until the evening once the one way has changed.

On the show, yes the Gripen flames are normal! Look for that long inverted descent. It's a cracking display IMO.

Unfortunately we haven't got the spectacular Finnish Hawk. :( Two have arrived, one Midnight Hawk and one Special Tail, but not the stunning demo jet.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

106500 wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 9:01 am
Wow, flames from the JAS 39 Gripen! Normal? Dump and burn?
Yes a regular of the Hungarian display.

mbowde

Post by mbowde »

lambo17841 wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 8:51 am
The E4 and A4 are both ? for Friday in the listings so hopefully both will come after the flying Friday if at all.

Could not find Biden's time of leaving Middle East unless anyone else knows where to look?
https://factba.se/biden/calendar But only covers today so far.

GlynH

Post by GlynH »

mbowde wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 8:37 am
bishbashbosh wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 7:17 am
Indeed it is, following him on his trip to Israel (think it’s parked up in Souda Bay?) My guess is it will leave after AF1 and once thats safely on its way will land at RIAT probably late on tomorrow (would have to check Bidens schedule to see when he’s leaving) and be parked up close to the runway in green ready for a quick exit.
Well it looks to me like Biden will be leaving Israel tomorrow (Friday) afternoon but will be flying directly to Saudi Arabia for meetings with MBS along with leaders from Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Iraq, Jordan and Egypt so where that leaves his return home God only knows.

-=Glyn=-

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

We have had this issue before, show ground closes at 6 tomorrow (they send people round asking you to leave :slight_frown: ) what if it arrives at 6.30 or later? this is something I want to see :-)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

JMC

Post by JMC »

Just watching the Planes TV live stream and they mentioned this will be the last time an RAF C130 will appear at a show. Seems a little disappointing the RAF haven't arranged a flypast of some kind! Oh well at least it's appearing in static!