The UKAR politics thread

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
DerekF

Re: The UKAR politics thread

Post by DerekF »

I suppose the government were "forced" into this. Another capability gap with no plan to fill it.
If they had done the required update when they were told, the RAF would have the capability for the next 10 years at least.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/sentine ... e-say-mod/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by boff180 »

FB wrote:Whether running round with face masks and surgical gloves, almost as if they're fashion accessories and complaining about the lifting of lock down rules one minute then congregating in mass gatherings to complain to the British Authorities about chronic race relations problems in another country the next.
FB wrote:My statement was that about half of those taking part in the recent (BLM) demonstrations are wearing PPE, many aren't?
FB wrote:are you saying that the danger of spreading Covid 19 can be ignored if the subject matter of the protest is one which you would support?
Point below proved.
Me wrote:Or are you going to retrospectively claim you’ve been taken out of context...by deliberately taking others out of context.... again.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 04 Jun 2020, 8:08 pm
FB wrote:Whether running round with face masks and surgical gloves, almost as if they're fashion accessories and complaining about the lifting of lock down rules one minute then congregating in mass gatherings to complain to the British Authorities about chronic race relations problems in another country the next.
FB wrote:My statement was that about half of those taking part in the recent (BLM) demonstrations are wearing PPE, many aren't?
FB wrote:are you saying that the danger of spreading Covid 19 can be ignored if the subject matter of the protest is one which you would support?
Point below proved.
Me wrote:Or are you going to retrospectively claim you’ve been taken out of context...by deliberately taking others out of context.... again.
Point not proved, you've done a Tommy, taken selected quotes and placed them all in isolation, better to ask the author to explain rather than engineer a case for the prosecution. I'm not going to bother trying to piece everything together young fellah, but we may as well just accept, you and others may think, as has been said elsewhere that I'm a devout tory. I don't see myself that way for I have been unfaithful more than once at the Ballot Box, and you'd be surprised who I've voted for before, but I'm quite sure I would be correct in saying you are a fiercely anti-tory labour supporter, hence the wild hair you've got up your jacksie causing you to go to such lengths as Tommy does by throwing a barrage of selective one line quotes at me amounting to a long old page full.

Hope you felt it was time well spent! :crazy_face:

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

With every post you're just proving the point more....

P.s. For the record, I've voted conservative at the past 4 elections, best of a bad bunch at the time...

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 04 Jun 2020, 8:22 pm
With every post you're just proving the point more....

P.s. For the record, I've voted conservative at the past 4 elections, best of a bad bunch at the time...
I'm always told my posts prove someone's point? What point? The only one I can think of is opposite opinions.

FB

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 9:24 am
Tommy, Domvickery, DerekF, phrekf4, Vandal, Parsley and all the rest, I'll do you all a favour, as this forum is unique in, and I can't describe you all any other way than consumed with left bias. You may think you're middle of the road centrist and the tories are all far right wing incompetent Nazis or whatever. But I've come to the end of my tether with all of you, so for my own sake and for yours I'll stick to other forums and leave this one before I go bloody mad.
I do so admire a man of his word..... :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

DerekF wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 6:53 am
Finningley Boy wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 9:24 am
Tommy, Domvickery, DerekF, phrekf4, Vandal, Parsley and all the rest, I'll do you all a favour, as this forum is unique in, and I can't describe you all any other way than consumed with left bias. You may think you're middle of the road centrist and the tories are all far right wing incompetent Nazis or whatever. But I've come to the end of my tether with all of you, so for my own sake and for yours I'll stick to other forums and leave this one before I go bloody mad.
I do so admire a man of his word..... :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Lucky for you I changed my mind! :hugging:

FB :face_with_monocle:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Thu 04 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm
you've done a Tommy
There are a great many insalubrious things named after me and my drunken shenanigans, but this is not one of them.
Finningley Boy wrote:
taken selected quotes and placed them all in isolation
You have made many aspersions about my posting style, from long and winding posts, to "you have posted a lot since you have joined" to the above. You have never once been able to say which quotes I've placed "all in isolation" I have actually taken out of context. If I have ever done that to anything you have said, please alert me to them, and I will endeavour to correct them, and ensure that they are within context.

You make your posts in massive chunks and say several important things to be discussed all within one paragraph. It's not elegant and is quite unwieldy.
Finningley Boy wrote:
better to ask the author to explain rather than engineer a case for the prosecution.
Well, I take issue with you saying that I have ever "engineered" something. Are you accusing me of lying, or deliberately misleading people as to what you say? I have only ever used what you have said. If your points don't stand up on their own, then perhaps they're not very good points.
Finningley Boy wrote:
I'm not going to bother trying to piece everything together young fellah
You never do, because you can't, which is why you're reduced to arguing about writing style and post-counts.

Also, maybe drop the patronising "young fellah". I don't know your age, but on the assumption that you're older than both Andy and I, I would feel a bit disrespectful calling you an old fart without asking you if it was ok to do so.
Finningley Boy wrote:
we may as well just accept, you and others may think, as has been said elsewhere that I'm a devout tory. I don't see myself that way for I have been unfaithful more than once at the Ballot Box
In one breath you say that you don't see yourself as a "devout Tory", and in the next you refer to yourself as being "unfaithful" in refer to occasions when you have not voted for them. "Unfaithful" is very much the language of loyalty and devotion. Bit of a mucky submission, that one! :rofl:
Finningley Boy wrote:
and you'd be surprised who I've voted for before
We don't care! That's the point. The only one in this thread with an ego precious enough that they see an attack on the Tory party is an attack on them is you. When you left, this thread actually returned to some semblance of civility and interesting, stimulating and robust discussion.
Finningley Boy wrote:
but I'm quite sure I would be correct in saying you are a fiercely anti-tory labour supporter
Incredible. You just spent ages arguing that we shouldn't judge you based on how you vote, and indeed that we should have minds open enough to accept the possibility that you have voted for other parties, and then in the very next breath, without skipping a beat you do just the thing that you're warning others against! I think you need to work on your consistency, mate.

And in any event, Andy has already clarified that he's a Tory voter (so you're dead-wrong).
Finningley Boy wrote:
causing you to go to such lengths as Tommy does by throwing a barrage of selective one line quotes at me amounting to a long old page full.
There we are again, you can never argue with the quotes themselves, so you argue about the post-style. Andy, you, or I or anyone else can post in which ever way we like, and we can respond to people in whichever way we like. If I feel that it assists to break down a block of text with several paradoxical and contradictory points within it so that I can properly respond to them in full, I am perfectly able to do that no matter your protestations.

I say this sincerely, FB, but I genuinely thought that your break was for real. The moment you left, the place became so much more civil, interesting, and stimulating. If you must stay, I would encourage you to take a leaf out of all of the other posters in this thread's book. You need it.

Finningley Boy

Re: The UKAR politics thread.

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 8:49 pm
Finningley Boy wrote:
you've done a Tommy
There are a great many insalubrious things named after me and my drunken shenanigans, but this is not one of them.
Finningley Boy wrote:
taken selected quotes and placed them all in isolation
You have made many aspersions about my posting style, from long and winding posts, to "you have posted a lot since you have joined" to the above. You have never once been able to say which quotes I've placed "all in isolation" I have actually taken out of context. If I have ever done that to anything you have said, please alert me to them, and I will endeavour to correct them, and ensure that they are within context.

You make your posts in massive chunks and say several important things to be discussed all within one paragraph. It's not elegant and is quite unwieldy.
Finningley Boy wrote:
better to ask the author to explain rather than engineer a case for the prosecution.
Well, I take issue with you saying that I have ever "engineered" something. Are you accusing me of lying, or deliberately misleading people as to what you say? I have only ever used what you have said. If your points don't stand up on their own, then perhaps they're not very good points.
Finningley Boy wrote:
I'm not going to bother trying to piece everything together young fellah
You never do, because you can't, which is why you're reduced to arguing about writing style and post-counts.

Also, maybe drop the patronising "young fellah". I don't know your age, but on the assumption that you're older than both Andy and I, I would feel a bit disrespectful calling you an old fart without asking you if it was ok to do so.
Finningley Boy wrote:
we may as well just accept, you and others may think, as has been said elsewhere that I'm a devout tory. I don't see myself that way for I have been unfaithful more than once at the Ballot Box
In one breath you say that you don't see yourself as a "devout Tory", and in the next you refer to yourself as being "unfaithful" in refer to occasions when you have not voted for them. "Unfaithful" is very much the language of loyalty and devotion. Bit of a mucky submission, that one! :rofl:
Finningley Boy wrote:
and you'd be surprised who I've voted for before
We don't care! That's the point. The only one in this thread with an ego precious enough that they see an attack on the Tory party is an attack on them is you. When you left, this thread actually returned to some semblance of civility and interesting, stimulating and robust discussion.
Finningley Boy wrote:
but I'm quite sure I would be correct in saying you are a fiercely anti-tory labour supporter
Incredible. You just spent ages arguing that we shouldn't judge you based on how you vote, and indeed that we should have minds open enough to accept the possibility that you have voted for other parties, and then in the very next breath, without skipping a beat you do just the thing that you're warning others against! I think you need to work on your consistency, mate.

And in any event, Andy has already clarified that he's a Tory voter (so you're dead-wrong).
Finningley Boy wrote:
causing you to go to such lengths as Tommy does by throwing a barrage of selective one line quotes at me amounting to a long old page full.
There we are again, you can never argue with the quotes themselves, so you argue about the post-style. Andy, you, or I or anyone else can post in which ever way we like, and we can respond to people in whichever way we like. If I feel that it assists to break down a block of text with several paradoxical and contradictory points within it so that I can properly respond to them in full, I am perfectly able to do that no matter your protestations.

I say this sincerely, FB, but I genuinely thought that your break was for real. The moment you left, the place became so much more civil, interesting, and stimulating. If you must stay, I would encourage you to take a leaf out of all of the other posters in this thread's book. You need it.
All this from a seven word post, and not even marked for your attention. I see just what you mean by interesting, stimulating (oooh!) and robust discussion. :weary:

FB :face_with_monocle:

PS Some good news on the Horizon Tommy, look below,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... again.html

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The UKAR politics thread.

Post by Tommy »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 6:01 am

All this from a seven word post, and not even marked for your attention. I see just what you mean by interesting, stimulating (oooh!) and robust discussion. :weary:
See? You're doing it again. You can't argue with the content, so you have to make a comment about my actual post style.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 7:09 am
Finningley Boy wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 6:01 am

See? You're doing it again. You can't argue with the content, so you have to make a comment about my actual post style.
Complete with a link from the Daily Mail. Why do you even interact with this amateur Troll?

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy,

I've said before, I'm not going to sift through your usual list of selected sentences, if I thought I'd get a more agreeable response then I might find time to do so. You'll always throw aggressive posts in response, Teaboy just accused me of being an amateur troll, to provide succour to you of course. Believe me, the animosity and baiting is always generated by you and a few others. I'm fighting the lone corner, and it is for one reason, political disagreement, its the worst thing in discourse, apart from religion.

FB

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Domvickery wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I take the exhibited out of control mad laugh is your way of reacting to what you see as a supreme irony in my post. Not from where I'm sitting.

FB

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Nope

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

" Finningley Boy wrote: ↑Thu 28 May 2020, 9:24 am
Tommy, Domvickery, DerekF, phrekf4, Vandal, Parsley and all the rest, I'll do you all a favour, as this forum is unique in, and I can't describe you all any other way than consumed with left bias. You may think you're middle of the road centrist and the tories are all far right wing incompetent Nazis or whatever. But I've come to the end of my tether with all of you, so for my own sake and for yours I'll stick to other forums and leave this one before I go bloody mad."

I've been somewhat tied up with work,then getting made redundant and having to sort out a lot of things because of that over the last couple of weeks so haven't been engaging in comments over that period as such.

However having a read this morning to get up to speed I noted the above name check from FB.Thank you FB for this great honour.I wondered what could possibly be done to mark recognition from such a sage commentator on these forums and how this could be honoured in the most appropriate manner.

I have therefore mounted a framed copy of this valued recognition on my lavatory wall.

Thank you once again.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

parsley wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm
Tommy, Domvickery, DerekF, phrekf4, Vandal, Parsley and all the rest, I'll do you all a favour, as this forum is unique in, and I can't describe you all any other way than consumed with left bias. You may think you're middle of the road centrist and the tories are all far right wing incompetent Nazis or whatever. But I've come to the end of my tether with all of you, so for my own sake and for yours I'll stick to other forums and leave this one before I go bloody mad."

I've been somewhat tied up with work,then getting made redundant and having to sort out a lot of things because of that over the last couple of weeks so haven't been engaging in comments over that period as such.

However having a read this morning to get up to speed I noted the above name check from FB.Thank you FB for this great honour.I wondered what could possibly be done to mark recognition from such a sage commentator on these forums and how this could be honoured in the most appropriate manner.

I have therefore mounted a framed copy of this valued recognition on my lavatory wall.

Thank you once again.
I wouldn't expect you to do otherwise, along with the gloating post.

FB

PS Keep it in the back of your mind all the accusations about trolls, then read yours and others posts from time to time.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 1:14 pm
parsley wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm

Thank you once again.
I wouldn't expect you to do otherwise, along with the gloating post.

FB

PS Keep it in the back of your mind all the accusations about trolls, then read yours and others posts from time to time.

The lady doth protest too much,methinks.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Mods is there any way to get rid of the (weirdly doubled up) poll on this thread? I put it in when I started the thread as it was the run up to the GE but I think it's served its purpose now 😂

Thanks
Chris
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Done

CJS

Post by CJS »

Domvickery wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 5:30 pm
Done
Muchos grassy arse :up:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

The Thick of It, Veep, In the Loop, The Day Today - none of them can hold a candle to this dark political comedy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 89691.html

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Sunak distributing funds like a faulty cash machine but am I the only one concerned with the lack of debate and consideration regarding how and who is going to pay this off? (the £10 eat in voucher seems to be pure gimmicks )
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Mike

Post by Mike »

pbeardmore wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 1:19 pm
(the £10 eat in voucher seems to be pure gimmicks )
Actually it seems to be a reasonable idea, rather than just handing out 'stimulus checks' like the US does. It will certainly tempt me to go out and spend money on dining out in August, much more that I would have done otherwise.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Mike wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 1:29 pm
pbeardmore wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 1:19 pm
(the £10 eat in voucher seems to be pure gimmicks )
Actually it seems to be a reasonable idea, rather than just handing out 'stimulus checks' like the US does. It will certainly tempt me to go out and spend money on dining out in August, much more that I would have done otherwise.
Just a shame that some disabled people can't take advantage of it. But then again when does anyone consider disabled people.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens