The UKAR politics thread

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
vandal

Re: The UKAR politics thread

Post by vandal »

Found a story earlier about someone who was that outraged at the Governments decision to make face mask use compulsory, they took the extreme measure of, wait for it........

Cancelling their £2.09 direct debit to the Conservatives & cutting up their membership cards

For all that is holy!

Thousands dead in care homes, Dominic Cummings disregard for the rules, PPE fiasco etc, and yet the compulsory use of face masks is what finally pushed some too far.

Words fail me.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... masks.html

CJS

Post by CJS »

You're actually surprised there are people like this vandal?
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

vandal wrote:
Tue 14 Jul 2020, 9:06 pm
Found a story earlier about someone who was that outraged at the Governments decision to make face mask use compulsory, they took the extreme measure of, wait for it........

Cancelling their £2.09 direct debit to the Conservatives & cutting up their membership cards

For all that is holy!

Thousands dead in care homes, Dominic Cummings disregard for the rules, PPE fiasco etc, and yet the compulsory use of face masks is what finally pushed some too far.

Words fail me.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail ... masks.html
it's people like that who were 2 weeks ago calling people wanting racial equality snowflakes.....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Boris really is an incompetent arsewipe, isn’t he.

The only acceptable answer is “yes”. “Aware of” does not mean “I have read it”.

How desperately low our political system has been brought by these disaster-chancers.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Someone on twitter said last night, Failing Grayling can't even win a rigged vote! Really incompetent stuff from the so-called mastermind Cummings. Utter :clown:

CJS

Post by CJS »

With a (far more than before) credible alternative sitting opposite them, BoJo and Co must be getting increasingly worried about the future I would have thought. Granted they have a majority so can make all the screwups they want for the next nearly 4 years, but if it keeps going how it is, the pressure will surely mount, especially on those at the top of the sh** heap.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

CJS wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 9:58 am
With a (far more than before) credible alternative sitting opposite them, BoJo and Co must be getting increasingly worried about the future I would have thought. Granted they have a majority so can make all the screwups they want for the next nearly 4 years, but if it keeps going how it is, the pressure will surely mount, especially on those at the top of the sh** heap.
The reason for the Chancellor spending so much money is to protect the economy. With a no-deal Brexit likely to further affect a fragile economy, Johnson is on the verge of a calamity.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 10:08 am
CJS wrote:
The reason for the Chancellor spending so much money is to protect the economy. With a no-deal Brexit likely to further affect a fragile economy, Johnson is on the verge of a calamity.
Can't disagree with either of these posts. Starmer is doing a good job as opposition leader and is holding the govt to account i.e doing his job better than Corbyn ever did. He is even, dare I say it, looking competent.

The economy is toast in the short term. I was surprised however that working hours were only down by c.17% so it's not a complete disaster as some of those will be recovered in the near term. Brexit won't help; however, I believe the short term pain caused by change was always going to be a necessary evil. Covid-19 was unfortunate to say the least and now we won't be able to tell which was the bigger factor. Batten down the hatches, it's going to be a rough couple of years, especially if we get another lockdown this coming winter. If that does happen, it could also put RIAT 2021 at risk. Now that would be a disaster !

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

verreli wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 12:38 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 10:08 am
CJS wrote:
Can't disagree with either of these posts. Starmer is doing a good job as opposition leader and is holding the govt to account i.e doing his job better than Corbyn ever did. He is even, dare I say it, looking competent.

The economy is toast in the short term. I was surprised however that working hours were only down by c.17% so it's not a complete disaster as some of those will be recovered in the near term. Brexit won't help; however, I believe the short term pain caused by change was always going to be a necessary evil. Covid-19 was unfortunate to say the least and now we won't be able to tell which was the bigger factor. Batten down the hatches, it's going to be a rough couple of years, especially if we get another lockdown this coming winter. If that does happen, it could also put RIAT 2021 at risk. Now that would be a disaster !
i can't see us getting another lockdown, partly because it's impact on the economy, and secondly it would mean that the government would have to accept that it got it's handling of the post lockdown response wrong. they won't do that.

of course you could argue that the fact we get guidlines and are told to rely on common sense means they can shift the blame on us, but then people think you are a paranoid anti britain loony lefty

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Zoom wrote:
Mon 20 Jul 2020, 12:05 pm
More Project Fear?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... d=msedgntp
The UK Road Haulage Association raised this issue in November 2018,although the amount of permits has increased since then but still vastly inadequate.

https://www.rha.uk.net/news/press-relea ... ys-the-rha

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

"The EU will cave in" (although he looks more like NTBPMJC)

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

so russia report released today. probably heavily redacted

also, it appears there was a trade bill agreed in parliamnet last night to form the basis of our trade negotiations going forward.
no surprise, the tories voted against protecting the NHS from external sales, and also against animal rights and food standards.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

There’s a weird thing about thread embedding, but ignore the second tweet.

Never let the Tories bluster and huff that the NHS isn’t be for sale. Whether or not they politically could sell it, well that’s slightly different, but if they could, they would do so in a heartbeat.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Absolutely nuts:

Tinpot dictator-level pigheadedness.

They didn’t look for evidence because they were scared they’d find it. If this is by incompetence, it’s terrifying. If this is by design and intention, it’s even more terrifying.

These traitors. These absolute traitors. They don’t stand up for Britain, they don’t care about us. They’d let this entire country burn to the ground for some extra cash and some posh dinners.

It’s no wonder they suppressed this from coming out before the election.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

The Conservatives need to take down their Union Jacks and put up the Russian flag. Putin has them like little puppets.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Looking back on the emphasis the few Tory MPs and commentators who are trying to defend this put on Corbyn meeting up with the IRA and took the mick out of his “Comrade Corbyn” look nine months ago, in a just world, Boris would have be hounded out of office at 10.00 this morning. Or at least by lunchtime. If this was Labour, they’d be demanding Corbyn or Starmer’s resignation by midday.

It’s quite palpably mad how much the public encourages this government to get away with.

These Tories shame the memory and achievements of actual, proper, intellectual and competent Tories of the past. Maggie, Churchill, and a great many others, their own flaws notwithstanding, would turn in their graves to see what this fat messy old faux-posh bloviator and his cabal of sycophants are doing to this great country.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

It's interesting, or depressing depending on how you view it, but there was a far greater public reaction to a dog's gravestone, than the country being threatened by a foreign country. Britain is a strange places these days!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 21 Jul 2020, 11:19 am

It’s quite palpably mad how much the public encourages this government to get away with.
Trouble is, it's the same public who voted for them and who gave them the mandate to do what the heck they want for 5 years.

We (as a collective population) only have ourselves to blame for that. The fact that the leader of the opposition at the time would have been such a weak, ineffectual PM didn't help either.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Hard to argue.

It’s not just the actual content of the Russia Report. It’s that Boris suppressed something the public very much had a right to know about, and should have known about, and that Boris ostensibly did so to avoid precisely these headlines in the run up to the election. I mean, short of a full-on dictatorship, that’s nearly as tinpot as it gets.

There will be no consequences for the actions of these men.

And yeah I agree, Corbyn was pathetic and I’m quite glad that he’s not the leader of the opposition, nor the country. He can ferret his five years of F-all accomplishments back to the back-benches and irrelevance where he can excite himself into a fervour and print pamphlets about the rights of Peruvian bin men.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

More government incompetence.

In all their fabled pandemic planning that was swung into action earlier in the year... they never once thought about how the economy might be effected.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53484998

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Just to put that report into Party context, there are 16 members of the committee and 9 are Conservative.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It might not be politics per se, but this is a particularly grim article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-53514766

Social media companies, all of them but Facebook especially, have a considerable amount to answer for in terms of what they have enabled over the past decade.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Totally agree about the anti-social media companies and appalling that it tends to be the female Labour MPs who mostly seem to be targetted.
Recently Dawn Butler had to close her office because of racist threats.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Boris Johnson gets his own brother into the House of Lords. And Theresa May's husband?

They're taking the proverbial now.