F1 ( and other motorsports ) 2020

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Mike

Re: F1 ( and other motorsports ) 2020

Post by Mike »

JonMann wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 1:06 pm
...Racing Point (Aston Martin next year) have confirmed driver line ups.
A lot will depend on whether Lawrence Stroll makes up his mind whether he's running a serious race team or a hobby project for his little boy's benefit.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Well it's a shame that the rain went around the circuit in Hungary and not directly on it. :neutral_face:

It looks like it'll be another Mercedes dominated season, but I just hope Bottas can keep producing the goods else it's going to get real boring real quick. :sleeping:

verreli

Post by verreli »

Reds Rolling wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020, 10:18 am
It looks like it'll be another Mercedes dominated season, but I just hope Bottas can keep producing the goods else it's going to get real boring real quick. :sleeping:
I'm interested to understand what you find interesting now. I'm a huge motorsport fan. I've been all over the world following various sports including F1,WRC, F-E, WEC, Karting, etc but now find F1, as you say, boring. The cars are engineered close to perfection. Even the dog at the back of the grid is a masterpiece. The drivers are all skinny boys with no charisma, except maybe Ricciardo. Politics has entered the sport; never a good thing. The coverage following the Covid-19 changes is poor. Hamilton and Mercedes are too dominant. It's even worse now in that regard than the Schumacher era because the car engineering is so much better. I went to pre season testing in Spain a few years ago. I could see then that Hamilton would win the championship that year and, no surprise, he did. This year he could drive at 85% and still win. No doubt he'll gift Bottas a few wins to make it interesting though. What am I missing from the current sport?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"The drivers are all skinny boys with no charisma" agreed.........

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

verreli

Post by verreli »

^^^ I think I enjoyed watching that more than an entire season of modern F1 ! £2k and a glass fibre bonnet. Now that's engineering at its finest and did you see the car move around? Fantastic, thrilling, entertaining and some genuine insight into how to drive fast !

JonMann

Post by JonMann »

I am looking forward to when the new rules come in and see how that affects the racing. Used to really enjoy watching F1 in the late 80's and through most of the 90s but have started to get a bit weary of it recently. Doesn't help that if I want to watch that I have to pay to do it.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Indeed. 80's motorsport was much more about man taming mechanical beast and the machines were part of the entertainment. Like the video above shows, you could see the imperfect car moving around which added to the admiration for the skill of the competitors. The sport also had the essence of all sport which is unpredictability. Who could forget Mansell at the Canadian GP, a shoe horn for victory and running out of fuel on the last lap or, Mansell again, about to win the championship and his tyre blew up or, Mansell again, chasing down opponents and making spectacular overtakes. That I can remember these moments suggest it added to the quality of my life. I honestly can't remember any moment from the last decade of F1.

I just can't raise any emotion about Hamilton winning another championship. I was at the F1 test at Silverstone when he had his first drive in an F1 car. I remember being enthusiastic at the prospect of his undoubted potential. That's long gone. It was the same for Vettel when he was winning. Look at how well he's doing now he's not in the best car ! Hamilton would be the same. If he'd stayed at McLaren rather than move to Mercedes he'd have won nothing. This shows what little sport is left in F1.

As for the new regulations, I doubt it will change anything. At best it will allow another well funded team to displace Mercedes and whatever lucky driver finds himself there will win the championship. Is being lucky or the 'chosen one' sport? Who's the best driver in F1? Nobody knows.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

verreli wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 4:13 pm
It was the same for Vettel when he was winning. Look at how well he's doing now he's not in the best car !
Hmmm, I wonder how driver championships have been won, when not driving the best car?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

TonyC wrote:
Sat 25 Jul 2020, 2:30 pm
verreli wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 4:13 pm
It was the same for Vettel when he was winning. Look at how well he's doing now he's not in the best car !
Hmmm, I wonder how driver championships have been won, when not driving the best car?
Zero.

Some spectacles on here are tinted very rosey
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Mike

Post by Mike »

Domvickery wrote:Zero.

Quite a few actually. 1982 for instance, when Rosberg became champion with just a single win and Ferrari undoubtedly had the best car.

Or 1999, when Hakkinen became champion for the second time even though Ferrari, again, had a better car (as was proven when they took the next 5 championships in a row)

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Mike wrote:
Sun 26 Jul 2020, 9:26 pm

Quite a few actually. 1982 for instance, when Rosberg became champion with just a single win and Ferrari undoubtedly had the best car.

Or 1999, when Hakkinen became champion for the second time even though Ferrari, again, had a better car (as was proven when they took the next 5 championships in a row)
I thought there has been a fair few so I looked it up and from 58 when the constructors championship started there have been 10 occasions (17%) when the driver has driven a different car to the winning constructor. British drivers have done especially well with Hawthorn, Stewart, Hunt and Hamilton all winning in 'inferior ' cars. Piquet won 2 if his 3 championships this way

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

That depends on the quality of their teammate more than anything else. Hamilton won the WDC in 2008 but Kovalainen was bang average as his #2.

Ferrari had two strong drivers.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Mike wrote:
1982 for instance, when Rosberg became champion with just a single win and Ferrari undoubtedly had the best car.
Because Ferrari had to use 4 drivers due to the death of Villeneuve at the Belgian GP & Pironi's accident in the rain at the German GP ( not to mention Pironi being out-of-sorts due to the death of Villeneuve followed by the death of Paletti after a collision with Pironi's stationary car at the Canadian GP )
Due to Schumacher missing almost half of the season due to his crash at the British GP.

Both those seasons Ferrari won the Constructors Championship, which they've always claimed was more important than the Drivers Championship.

As with other sports, having the best means nothing if Lady Luck's taken to chucking bricks at you.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Mike

Post by Mike »

Exactly the point. Both times Ferrari had the best car on the grid, but didn’t win the drivers’ championship.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Mike wrote:

I'll agree with Keke Rosberg in '82 but I'd hardly say that the F399 was superior to the MP4/14...

Wins - 7/6 in favour of the MP4/14
Podiums - 17/16 in favour of the F399
Poles - 11/3 in favour of the MP4/13
Fastest Laps - 9/6 in favour of the MP4/14
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Mike

Post by Mike »

With the best will in the world, I wouldn't rank Salo and Irvine at the same level as Hakkinen and Coulthard.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 9:29 am
That depends on the quality of their teammate more than anything else. Hamilton won the WDC in 2008 but Kovalainen was bang average as his #2.

Ferrari had two strong drivers.
Undoubtedly that could have a bearing. What was also interesting to note was that with the exception of Hawthorn (who retired after his championship win), Hunt and Rosberg all of the other drivers on the list: Stewart, Piquet, Prost, Schumacher and Hamilton are all multiple world champions and probably in most peoples top 10 lists of all time F1 champions so that probably has more to do with their skills behind the wheel.

As BC says luck also plays its part. Just like Rosberg in 82 Schumacher's first world title in 94 was in a Benetton with Williams finishing as constructors champions despite also using 4 drivers through the season and of course the death of Senna.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Perez will miss this weekends gp after a positive covid test

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53601564
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Nikon 500mm pf
Tamron 150-600 G2

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wonder if Mercedes will replace him with Gutierrez, or opt for Hulk?
Do F1 reserve drivers have to self-isolate for the duration ( as happens with various other racing series at the moment ) or not?

And decisions, decisions.....
the GP's being shown live on C4.....but then, ITV4 has all-day coverage of the BTCC & associated events....
Luckily the IMSA races are either on Saturday or ( mostly ) don't start until later on Sunday afternoon.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

As rumoured, 'Mercedes Lite' have opted for Hulk.
Seems pointless having a designated reserve driver if you don't use him, and a big kick in the teeth for Gutierrez to be honest.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

F1? Pah!!
Proper motor racing just about to start ( 11:00hrs ).....http://www.radiolemans.co/2020/08/01/nl ... andrennen/
아직도 숨어있다

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Well it's probably going to be another Mercedes bore on Sunday again. :sleeping:

Maybe Mad Max or Le Berc can liven things up and take the front row out, but other than that the only hope for anything interesting happening is for it to rain.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Didn't watch the quali, if only because from past experience C4's coverage tends to be utter gash.....

Isn't CLec under investigation for unsafe pit release ?

And just how much gravel did Hamilton deposit on the circuit after his spin -- was it really enough to justify the red flag, or am I right to be cynical ( perish the thought that the red flag conveniently meant he could get back to the pits & sort his car out instead of not setting a fast enough time to get through to the next round )

Still, at least Mercedes - or their drivers, anyway - have given up churning out the usual bollocks about not having the fastest cars....not to mention that their 'trick' steering proves that the old 'FIA = Ferrari International Assistance' nonsense is also garbage.
아직도 숨어있다