F1 ( and other motorsports ) 2020

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
ianf

Re: F1 ( and other motorsports ) 2020

Post by ianf »

Ah its good to have you back Brevet! On the gravel yes it was all over the racing line, and the merc would have got back out easily without the stoppage. Le Clerc was put out right in front of cars, who all had to stop sharpish.

Last season merc wasn't the fastest. Ferrari was. Which is the opinion of the F1 paddock. The trouble was they didn't use it well. I would say I don't think I ever saw so many team errors that lost them races. The other trouble for them was that Ferrari got "caught" with what ever they did to make the car fast, which is why it is a dog this year.

This year Brevet your right the Merc is in a class of its own. Which is a pity because the rest are now so much closer to each other that there is a lot to enjoy racing wise if you ignore the front. Max is still giving it a go and his car traditionally gets stronger as the year goes on.

I'm enjoying watching Lando and Russell both show promise and its great to see Mc laren back. Next year with a merc engine that will go a long way.

Oh and yes I still want Lewis to win! :grinning:
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Lewis had started another hot lap before the red flag came out
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:thumbsup:
Guess that's the problem with not watching/listening to it first-hand.
It got a mention during a different commentary I was listening to, without much of an explanation to go with it.

Ferrari the fastest car last year? Well their engine was, anyway... or at least it was until the FIA re-wrote the rules to get rid of the loophole Ferrari were exploiting.

Various rumours going around that Vettel will move to 'Mercedes Lite' ( or 'Pink Mercedes', as they now seem to be referred to ) -- I'd be surprised if that happens, but it would make things more interesting if it does.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

ianf

Post by ianf »

Yup in the speed traps last year it was all Ferrari. Vetel has been mentioned as a pink Mercedes driver next year. Which will be rough on Perez if true. FIA re wrote the rules when Red bull complained. DASS is legal because Merc went to the FIA and asked for a ruling, Red Bull contested that too, which is believed to be
because they considered using it.
Last edited by ianf on Sun 02 Aug 2020, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Which was ironic given Red Bull's history of inventive rule interpretation :grinning:
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Surprisingly ( or not, depending on what you think FIA stands for ) no action taken against CLec/Ferrari.
Unlike Russell, who's got a 5 place grid penalty for failing to slow for a double yellow flag
아직도 숨어있다

ianf

Post by ianf »

What an ending! Didn't see that coming.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Be honest how many were asleep till the last few laps? up till then it was a snore fest. Then it all kicked off. Next week will have to be more stops.

JonMann

Post by JonMann »

ianf wrote:
Sun 02 Aug 2020, 3:17 pm
Be honest how many were asleep till the last few laps? up till then it was a snore fest. Then it all kicked off. Next week will have to be more stops.
Agree with the snore fest. I think though if there had been no safety cars, their one stops would have been a bit later so there might not have been any issues later in the race. Though next week, they are using different compounds so maybe.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Watched ITV4's coverage from Donington Park instead....very entertaining & unpredictable, with the Ginettas providing the usual lunacy.

From what I can gather with the F1, Bottas bottled an overtake on the first lap, Pirelli continued their usual form of supplying crap tyres which disintegrate with no warning ( or was it because some teams ran them for too long? ) and all the luck still went Hamilton's way.
And apparently a defaced Spitfire flew over.
Oh, and the BLM 'take the knee' nonsense pre-race was reported to be more farcical than usual ( none of that at Donington, thankfully )

......does that about cover it?

:stuck_out_tongue:
아직도 숨어있다

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Nope
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

ianf

Post by ianf »

Have you thought of working for Trump Brevet? :grinning: I do apologise no one should be compered to the Trump mob! Bottas did have a brief look but he was out dragged to turn 3. Pirrelli did continue to make tyres that barely last. They said they would do 40 and one failed on 39 and 2 on 40. and that included safety car laps. I watch practice on Friday in much hotter conditions and the red marked tyres disintegrated when flat spotted. Yes the soon to be repainted Spit (I hope) did a flypast The anti racist part went well. I'm not quite sure what you mean by none of that at Donington did they do one or not?
As Max put it Lewis wasn't lucky he was unlucky to get a puncture. Also Vetel was seen elbow bumping Strolls dad in the padock, I'm sure he owns a team! :thinking: The really bad bit was also what Max said. he could not get anywhere near the mercs and no one else could get near him as he was almost a second a lap faster.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Domvickery wrote:
Sun 02 Aug 2020, 6:49 pm
Nope
Very helpful, that......
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Ian;
Watced the replay, C4 commentators all said Bottas should have taken the lead....they even used the term 'he bottled it'.

No kneeling at Donnington, nor any other BLM stuff either ( or if there was, ITV4 didn't show it or mention it )
At the moment, outside of America it just seems to be an F1 thing.

Oh, and Tango Man couldn't afford me....although I may apply to become BoJo's spokesman if he offers me a knighthood :smiley:
아직도 숨어있다

ianf

Post by ianf »

Brevet I am surprised you say its just a F1 thing outside of America. It is in all our sports and that of other country's and rightly so. Racism has to be removed from society.

I think you would be wasted on BoJo team and btw I think the going rate is a peerage... :grinning:

I agree it was Bottas only chance, but it was a small window.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Doesn't seem to be a feature of other motorsports series outside of America.
Unless the broadcasters aren't covering it, I've not seen/heard it happening in other motorsports events in the UK, nor in overseas series such as the Michelin Le Mans Cup, ELMS,NLS/VLM, Superbikes, etc.
That said, again unless the broadcasters aren't covering it I can't recall anything being done at IMSA events in America either.
아직도 숨어있다

ianf

Post by ianf »

Brevet I was referring to all the major sports such as Football, cricket rugby etc.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Can't speak for football as it doesn't interest me*, and there haven't exactly been many other sporting events in the last 4-5 months, more specifically since the current round of BLM protects started ( which is when Hamilton/F1 started their campaign )

*Although I do know they've run a general anti-racism campaign for many years
아직도 숨어있다

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

ianf wrote:
Sun 02 Aug 2020, 3:17 pm
I literally was snoozing until Ben Edwards woke me up on the last couple of laps, but sadly still not the result I would have liked.

It's just a shame that the best thing about F1 right now is the bloody theme tune! :rofl:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Sun 02 Aug 2020, 8:21 pm
Doesn't seem to be a feature of other motorsports series outside of America.
Unless the broadcasters aren't covering it, I've not seen/heard it happening in other motorsports events in the UK, nor in overseas series such as the Michelin Le Mans Cup, ELMS,NLS/VLM, Superbikes, etc.
That said, again unless the broadcasters aren't covering it I can't recall anything being done at IMSA events in America either.
Happy to be corrected as I normally fast forward through all the pre-race shenanigans (apart from the flypast of course) but I don't think even NASCAR has had any drivers take a knee during the anthem. An official did back in June which got some publicity but no drivers or crew members that I can recall and that includes Bubba Wallace.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yep, I think about the only thing they've done with NASCAR is to have the 'Black Lives Matter' car.....followed soon afterwards by another team upsetting people with a 'Blue Lives Matter' one.

Granted I've missed a couple, but I can't recall anything being done at the various IMSA-run events either.

Fair play to Hamilton if he does actually go through with his stated aim of starting a scheme to get more black youths involved in motorsport, but other than the fact that it's concentrating on a single ethnic group it's not that much different to what a number of other drivers/former drivers have been doing for years.

At the end of the day, getting anywhere on the support/design/engineering side is down to education & qualification, whereas driving is still primarily about money.
If you haven't got it ( or sponsorship/backing from others who have ) then you're unlikely to get anywhere regardless of your talent.
아직도 숨어있다

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:32 am
Yep, I think about the only thing they've done with NASCAR is to have the 'Black Lives Matter' car.....followed soon afterwards by another team upsetting people with a 'Blue Lives Matter' one.
Coincidentally (or maybe not) that same car was run at Daytona in Feb with a "Trump / Pence 2020" scheme.

Pretty much the only thing (albeit quite a biggie!) that NASCAR as an organisation has done is to ban confederate flags from racetracks.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Sun 02 Aug 2020, 6:09 pm
...Pirelli continued their usual form of supplying crap tyres which disintegrate with no warning
I believe that Pirelli are producing tyres specified by the FIA, despite having offered to make them more durable about 2 seasons ago!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53693249
Racing Point have been docked 15 points and fined 400,000 euros (£361,000) for illegally copying parts of last year's Mercedes car.
Edited to add.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53694574
World champions Mercedes have reached an impasse with Formula 1 in negotiations over a new contract to stay in the sport after this season.

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said he believed they were "the biggest victim in terms of revenue loss" in the new financial arrangements proposed by F1.
He added they had concerns over "legal, commercial and sporting" issues.

Wolff's comments raise the possibility - however distant - that Mercedes might not continue in F1 beyond this season.
The deadline by which Mercedes has to commit to F1 is 12 August.

The company is committed to F1 and wishes to stay involved - indeed it this week re-signed Valtteri Bottas for the 2021 season - but Wolff's comments betray an unhappiness with the terms on offer.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Live coverage of the Spa round of the LeMans Cup : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvMifmp ... e=emb_logo

Start was delayed as 2 of the cars managed to collide on the warm-up lap......oops!
아직도 숨어있다