Football

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
iainpeden

Football

Post by iainpeden »

Klopp agrees new deal to 2024.
Gerrard agrees new deal to 2024.

Coincidence?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Mooshie1956

Re: Football

Post by Mooshie1956 »

For Liverpool fans it would be nice to see him back. As a general footie fan nothing better than to see an ex player do well in management and even better if it's at there old team. It's why I'm happy to give OGS a few more years at OT to see if he can finish what he has started, we're at the place Liverpool were a few years ago.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Going to post this here, as it's about footie and not clutter with new threads.

so we are at the half way stage of the season. Who do you think will take the top 6 places, me
1 Liverpool
2 Man City
3 Chelsea
4 Leicester
for 5 and 6 take your pick, Arsenal, Spurs and Man U are all out of sorts and can't string a run of results together so I think only 1 of those 3 will make it along with Wolves.

League Cup, I have a sneaky suspicion for Leicester
FA Cup No idea as yet.
Champs League I don't think an English team will win it this year.
Europa League I've thought Man U might go all out for this from the beginning of the season and will stick to them.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I know this pales into insignificance at the moment but many of us have time on our hands and instead of wasting it gaming (duck) or messing about on "social" media I thought I'd do a bit of maths and practise my Excel skills.

The discussions over the possible outcomes/solutions of the Premier League are making every Liverpool fan - including me - wince. However, if the Premier League took my solution this is what would happen.
The premise is that average point scores (APS - sorry all you teachers out there) are used to define final positions; if teams are tied then goal difference is used and if still tied goals scored are used.
This is what happens to the final positions (most aps rounded to nearest whole number):
Liverpool (107pts) Man City (77 pts), Leicester (69), Chelsea (63) and Man Utd (59) stay as 1-5.

6-9 are currently Wolves, Sheff Utd, Spurs and Arsenal becomes Sheff Utd (58), Wolves (56), Arsenal (54.285) Spurs (53.724) (sorry Chris)

Burnley and C Palace - currently 10th and 11th - stay in the same position with the same points (51) and goal difference (-6) but Burnley have scored 34 against Palace's 26

Everton, Newcastle, Southampton and Brighton stay the same.

16 to 18 is interesting - all end up with aps of 35.37931 - however it stays the same on goal difference with West Ham (-15), Watford (-17) and Bournemouth (-18).

Villa and Norwich stay at 19 and 20.

At Christmas I thought the only thing to take the gloss of Liverpool's amazing season was VAR - how flipping wrong can you be!
If somebody tells me how to embed an Excel spreadsheet I'll do so.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

That's too simple - you need to take current form into account, so perhaps only use the last 10 games.

It also needs weighting according to the position and current form of the teams you still have to play.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

psquiddy wrote:That's too simple - you need to take current form into account, so perhaps only use the last 10 games.

It also needs weighting according to the position and current form of the teams you still have to play.

c.75% of the matches have been played so my system gives a longer term view and fits in with the "it's a long season" saying. If the old pools panel had been in operation, and were used to determine the results of the final games, would they have predicted the Norwich/City result or the Watford/Liverpool one? I think my system is the most objective, as it reduces the human based guesswork.

Would love to see your version, though.

(Just as long as Liverpool still win! :lol: )

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

I lost interest in football, the year that Manchester United paid £89m for Pogba and then paid his agent millions as well! That just proved that the game had really just become about money and is not self sustaining!

However, I have a couple of ideas...

Option One
If restrictions are lifted before mid April, Leagues to be completed, playing 2 games a week, with season finishing mid May.
Where clubs are involved in cup competions, the competitions to be delayed until season completed, then remaining games to be played over a two week period, with finals taking place before the end of May. If clubs are involved in more than one cup competition, that club then allowed to decide which compeition to concentrate on and will be allowed to use players not in the first team squad, to compete in what that team considers to be the secondary competition.

Option Two
All leagues to be cancelled, no team announced as 2019/20 champions, no teams relegated.
2020/21 season to start afresh.
With regard to European cup competitions, positions achieved in 2018/19 to be used for 2020/21.

The Devil inside me would opt for Option Two as it means that 1, Liverpool won't be champions and 2, Leeds won't be promoted to the Premier League.

How I would laugh :butt: especially if the other teams all got their act together, for the following season, and didn't gift the title to Liverpool - as they have done this year - in 2020/21! :lmao:

Just placed an ad in the Wanted Section of our newsagent window, it reads...

Wanted
Tin Hat or large Boulder
Needed for incoming abuse
:biggrin:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Whre can I get a wall chart? Happier times...........

Euro 96 captured the hearts and imaginations of the nation 24 years ago, and ITV are preparing to show the whole thing all over again during this time of lockdown and uncertainty.

The sporting calendar has been decimated by the COVID-19 outbreak but that doesn’t mean fans can’t soak up one of the most pulsating tournaments in modern history.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/sport/2 ... ve-stream/
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Can we have the 1981 Headingley Test in it's entirety too- that would be 5 days worth of telly.

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

I'd be interested to know what the rules as they currently stand say about a season that isn't completed. I'm an Arsenal fan, for us I think it's largely irrelevant but I think Liverpool deserve the title. However if they don't abide scrupulously by the rules as they currently stand it will be open season for lawyers. For that reason I suspect the season will be voided.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Jimbo27 wrote:I'd be interested to know what the rules as they currently stand say about a season that isn't completed. I'm an Arsenal fan, for us I think it's largely irrelevant but I think Liverpool deserve the title. However if they don't abide scrupulously by the rules as they currently stand it will be open season for lawyers. For that reason I suspect the season will be voided.

I think the commercial/financial aspect will also have a massive influence, especially with SKY and BT in the UK. There's also the 20/21 season issue of which teams would be admitted to the 2 European competitions if 19/20 is voided.
However, what is more important is the number of backroom staff, especially of the smaller clubs, who are so vital to the success/viability of their clubs who are at risk of losing jobs.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Iain, You just made Spurs finish 9th and you're apologising?!

I'll take that thank you very much!

They need to give the title to Liverpool. I don't know how that works, but surely it's the only fair thing to do.

Can't Liverpool play 2 of their games and if they win them nothing else needs to be played. Give everyone else the position they're currently in and be done with it.

Or (and frankly I like this idea) give Liverpool the title :win: , but retain all other places as they were at the end of last season. Now that, Mr Premier league top dog boss in charge guy, is clearly the best idea. Ignore all the relegation nonsense, those teams don't count anyway :grin: :shock: :hide:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

As a United fan I have to admit I'm having a good chuckle about the possibility of the league being cancelled, but in all honesty the Pool have been the best team this year and should get the title but if the season doesn't get completed then it should be voided. For the Euro competitions same teams that had them this year, and that could be tough for Sheffield Utd as they've had a great season.
I would also go as far as to suspend any transfers for next season forcing all players to have a 1 year extension to there contracts, that way next season will be played under the exact same conditions as this year.
I honestly do feel for Liverpool fans, I well remember our wait for 27 years, but we also had to suffer a relegation in that time. If there good enough they'll win it next year.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

English football in general needs to take a long hard look at itself. These rich PL clubs putting ordinary club staff out to claim their wages via the Governments furlough scheme, which we'll be paying back in higher taxes for years, while their fat cat players sit at home doing nothing while still being paid a full wage. Frankly I find it disgusting and very distasteful.

As for the PFA, well.... :loser:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I fear the same thing is happening right across the corp scale. I think football has been unfairly targeted purely due to the high profile of the players. How many bankers, fund managers, barristers etc etc will be on furlough?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

pbeardmore wrote:I fear the same thing is happening right across the corp scale. I think football has been unfairly targeted purely due to the high profile of the players. How many bankers, fund managers, barristers etc etc will be on furlough?

Yes, but it has rather brought it on itself. Working in sport, I’m always amazed how most sports deal with issues and controversies pretty calmly and sensibly, whilst football always makes a total hash of things. Some of that is due to it being the highest profile sport, but that’s nothing new and football should now be used to dealing with matters carefully and considerately to avoid it making huge PR gaffs. But it continues to struggle and shoots itself in the foot time after time.

Apparently, Spurs were surprised at the negative reaction it got when it put its staff on furlough whilst its playing staff remained on full pay, thinking a few good news stories about it giving its (currently unused) facilities over to the NHS would be uppermost in people’s minds!
Ken

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I nearly put this into the Covid thread but we can, hopefully, be a little light hearted in this one.

The best seller for Christmas "The Premier League Guide to Social Distancing" - co-authored by Jack Grealish and Kyle Walker.

or - any suggestions as to which data appendix those 2 get themselves into at the end of the season?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pbeardmore wrote:I fear the same thing is happening right across the corp scale. I think football has been unfairly targeted purely due to the high profile of the players. How many bankers, fund managers, barristers etc etc will be on furlough?

Totally agree.

If we wanted footballers to be beacons of moral rightness, each team would have a priest rather than a fitness coach.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

These are strange times...I never thought I would be going onto the www supporting Wayne Rooney but his recent comments re the gov scapegoating footballers is spot on. How many avenues are there for young working class blokes to succeed? How many will come from working class backgrounds, poor schools etc to become Chief Execs, CEOs, Fund Managers? etc. Sport provides an all too rare route for social advancement. Meanwhile, upper class kids attend Eton, Rugby, Oxbridge etc and via Daddys contacts just float into the top jobs and top money.

So, when the poo hits the fan, who is the first (and only) sector to come under public pressure from the gov to reduce their wages? WR was voted BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year whilst BJ, Cameron and friends were mucking about at the Bullingdon Club. I wonder what the average earnings of those guys is now and why no call on their alumni to reduce thier wages...........end of rant.

effects

Post by effects »

I think it's more the case of, furloughing the people that can't really afford it and keeping greedy people on full wages.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

It's not greed, it's looking after yourself. Everyone's entitled to do it. And who knows what the players do with their money?
On the other hand, don't for one minute think clubs are swimming in money. The players may only have a few more big pay packets to capitalise on:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8193685/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Protect-clubs-without-beautiful-game-dead.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8197663/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Championship-owners-considering-group-administration-solve-wages-dilemma.html

And irrespective of season tickets, the vast majority of player's wages comes from TV money.

CJS

Post by CJS »

maltwoser wrote:It's not greed, it's looking after yourself. Everyone's entitled to do it. And who knows what the players do with their money?
On the other hand, don't for one minute think clubs are swimming in money. The players may only have a few more big pay packets to capitalise on:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8193685/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Protect-clubs-without-beautiful-game-dead.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8197663/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Championship-owners-considering-group-administration-solve-wages-dilemma.html

And irrespective of season tickets, the vast majority of player's wages comes from TV money.

I'm sorry but to suggest that someone on even £20k a week (and let's face it, that's no premier League players) couldn't take a 20% cut in their wages is nonsense, whatever else they do with their money.

Can you even conceive of a way you couldn't live on an income of £16k a week? And yes, I know there's tax and whatever, but still...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

The financial model of football in England is unsustainable, has been for a number of years, and the current crisis has just brought the inevitable forward a few years. Huge amounts of money from TV go into the game, but most ends up in the hands of a small number of clubs and, even then, that money goes to a small number of those club’s employees. Very little of it goes to to the sport as a whole; very little of the Premier League’s income even finds its way into the Championship or Leagues 1 and 2. The Premier League has its charitable foundation and it makes a contribution to other football charities, but the amounts involved are a tiny percentage of the overall income.

That’s the Premier Leagues’s choice, of course, and if it feels it should keep the greatest amount of its income for itself because it’s competition is what the TV companies are paying for, then you can sort of understand that. But it also needs to understand that, now that TV money has the very real possibility of drying-up, even for a few months, it can’t expect a huge amount of sympathy because it’s failed to put any of that money aside ‘for a rainy day’. The players need to understand that too. It’s not the rich owners (if, indeed, there are that many) that pay their wages, it’s Sky, BT, etc.

And whilst I do appreciate the economic realities of the effects of cutting high-earning players salaries on tax revenues, I do find the PFA’s argument that it’s members’ pay should be protected so they can continue to either directly or indirectly (via their taxes) fund the NHS rather distasteful. It’s not an option available to other working people and it assumes, wrongly of course, that the tax they pay will always go to the NHS, plus I’ve yet to see any proposal from the PFA of what contributions it’s members will make to the NHS if they did remain on full pay (happy to be corrected if they have).
Ken

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

I'm sorry but to suggest that someone on even £20k a week (and let's face it, that's no premier League players) couldn't take a 20% cut in their wages is nonsense, whatever else they do with their money.

Can you even conceive of a way you couldn't live on an income of £16k a week? And yes, I know there's tax and whatever, but still...

I'm not suggesting that. And of course anyone can live on £16,000 a week - if that's your disposable income and it's instantly accessible and your outgoings aren't £17,000 a week (I know, just making a point!). You and I have no idea what their financial arrangements are, and it's none of our business unless they're furloughed on public money. Where do you draw the line? Are the general public giving away all but the last few pounds they need to survive? Of course not. I'm saying that footballers are being unfairly singled out, while plenty more people with a lot more money are getting no scrutiny. How many footballers are on The Times rich list? And what about the people actively making money of the crisis?

Good points Ken.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

CJS wrote:

Fine if you can get 20K a week for life, but how many of these guys get beyond 35 as footballers, before having to find another source of income? It's not the players fault they get a large paypacket, but the market they operate in. I'm sure none of us would turn down a wage packet like that.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.