COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Post Reply
FarnboroJohn
Posts: 2356
Joined: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by FarnboroJohn »

vandal wrote:Mrs Vandal was saying this morning that some shops are opening early for Pensioners only, before the days regular trading gets underway, or are only allowing the Elderly in first.

Iceland & Sainsbury's are two of those mentioned. think it's something like first 2 hours in Iceland & the first hour in Sainsbury's - Pensioners only. Well done them.

Suppose that's all well & good if the older generation can get there first thing, but if it were myself in charge, I'd take a dedicated section of the store - one used for 'Seasonal goods - Easter Eggs / promotions etc', strip it of such, pack it with essentials and put staff on either end and only allow Pensioners, Blue badge holders (a lot of those are not elderly but are vulnerable) etc in to get their stuff. Not foolproof I know, but it would be a start.


Can you imagine a supermarket full of the elderly and disabled? I will wait till they've had time to clear the area, it will be hell on wheels in there.

vandal
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by vandal »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
vandal wrote:Mrs Vandal was saying this morning that some shops are opening early for Pensioners only, before the days regular trading gets underway, or are only allowing the Elderly in first.

Iceland & Sainsbury's are two of those mentioned. think it's something like first 2 hours in Iceland & the first hour in Sainsbury's - Pensioners only. Well done them.

Suppose that's all well & good if the older generation can get there first thing, but if it were myself in charge, I'd take a dedicated section of the store - one used for 'Seasonal goods - Easter Eggs / promotions etc', strip it of such, pack it with essentials and put staff on either end and only allow Pensioners, Blue badge holders (a lot of those are not elderly but are vulnerable) etc in to get their stuff. Not foolproof I know, but it would be a start.


Can you imagine a supermarket full of the elderly and disabled? I will wait till they've had time to clear the area, it will be hell on wheels in there.


May be amusing, but it's the elderly who aren't panic buying, they only want to get their weekly shop. I hear about it everywhere I go - old Jessie only wants a box of eggs, 4 pack of Andrex, loaf of bread etc. What chance does she have when everyone is buying just for the sake of buying?

Sainsbury's now reporting they are to be closing instore cafe's & fresh food counters.

User avatar
Mooshie1956
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:46 am
Location: Manchester

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I have just been to make an online food order earliest date I could get was 4th April. But they say they will have no beans and sort of pasta or noodles soups etc in stock by then. So much for them asking us not to panic buy, as they have plenty of stock in the warehouse.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7611
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by CJS »

Glasto has been cancelled, according to the BBC website.

For me, as a teacher, it's an interesting situation. We're getting on for the only groups of people who are meant to still be meeting together. Trying to carry on and teach as normal.

At the moment, we have most children and most staff in, so it's business as usual. We're getting work packs ready for the inevitable decision to close schools, but the advice seems to be some way off that happening yet.

My feeling is that, where possible, schools will remain open until the end of next week - closing a week early for Easter to minimise the initial impact.

My main concern, to be honest, from a professional point of view, is for those children who see school as their safe place. They will be (probably) having to spend longer periods of time in abusive environments, where their abusers are more stressed, more likely to snap, more financially stretched.

For those children, I hope we stay open as long as it remains safe for us to.

My son is still at preschool. I don't trust the gov with much, but it's my sincere hope that they are getting this right.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

adam2628
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu 30 May 2019, 7:06 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by adam2628 »

My daughter is still at primary school, but out of her 32 pupil year 5 class, there were 10 children absent yesterday. I'm not sure about the rest of the school.

Talking to another parent yesterday, her daughter came in from break complaining that her chest hurt. The school promptly phoned said parent and informed her that she needed to collect her daughter ASAP as she had a pain in chest and 'looked like she had a temperature'. I'm not sure what looking like you have a temperature is, but I'm pretty sure an 8 year old helling round a playground for 20 mins at break time might be a contributing factor :roll: .

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the gravity of the situation in general, but there just seems to be such a massive overreaction in some cases.

User avatar
Southendnick
Posts: 2068
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 8:30 am
Location: Southend-on-Sea

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Southendnick »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Can you imagine a supermarket full of the elderly and disabled? I will wait till they've had time to clear the area, it will be hell on wheels in there.


You might think it's funny but for those of us that have a disabled Mum to care for the greedy scumbags who are ripping the shelves of everything leaving nothing for others a time set aside in the day to cater for the elderly and disabled is more than needed.

Not only do I care for my Mum who needs a wheel chair I am also caring for an elderly neighbour who is recovering from a broken cocixs after a fall, she is 90 lives on her own so I am doing her shopping, by the time I have got Mum up in the mornings and been down to check on the neighbour, no matter how much the shelves have been restocked the greedy bastrds have again cleared the shelves, leaving nothing but what is not needed.

I hope you don't have any elderly relatives that can't get their shopping, but then again would you really care
Spelling mistakes and grammatical error specialist

http://www.southendtimeline.com

User avatar
aceyone
Posts: 2757
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm
Location: Bromley Kent

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by aceyone »

My Doctors Surgery has now posted this on it's website

"Due to the Coronavirus outbreak the practice will be suspending all face to face appointments from Monday 16th March.

If you have an appointment booked, please DO NOT attend the surgery. The GP will contact you by phone to provide advice."

which is probably a good idea unless, like me ,a Consultant at my Hospital advised me to see my Doctor asap regarding a blood test and a review of medication ,all getting very awkward :dunno:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

FarnboroJohn
Posts: 2356
Joined: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Southendnick wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Can you imagine a supermarket full of the elderly and disabled? I will wait till they've had time to clear the area, it will be hell on wheels in there.


You might think it's funny but for those of us that have a disabled Mum to care for the greedy scumbags who are ripping the shelves of everything leaving nothing for others a time set aside in the day to cater for the elderly and disabled is more than needed.

Not only do I care for my Mum who needs a wheel chair I am also caring for an elderly neighbour who is recovering from a broken cocixs after a fall, she is 90 lives on her own so I am doing her shopping, by the time I have got Mum up in the mornings and been down to check on the neighbour, no matter how much the shelves have been restocked the greedy bastrds have again cleared the shelves, leaving nothing but what is not needed.

I hope you don't have any elderly relatives that can't get their shopping, but then again would you really care


I think letting the elderly and disabled in by themselves when the shelves have just been restocked is the best idea I've heard so far, but I also believe there are no areas of human or other endeavour that are not liable to humour.

Good luck with your efforts and may all your relatives be safe.

Airwolfhound
Posts: 2507
Joined: Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:53 pm
Contact:

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Airwolfhound »

The main effect it is having on me at the moment are all the belly laughs I am getting from seeing various memes on FB or Instagram pics about COVID19. Some are genuinely hilarious.

The virus is what it is, and, personally, I see it as nature fighting back on the human race.

Both my parents are long since departed, if my mum was around I would be rather concerned over her what with all the health issues she had, but, thankfully for her suffering, she has passed away.

I am not an un-caring kind of person, and if I did get the virus, I am in the high-risk bracket with high blood pressure and overweight with kidney problems, so it will probably wipe me out, but what's the point in me getting worried over that ? None whatsoever, at least I'll have some peace and quiet away from life :grin: :grin: My wife will move on, maybe, although she has said she couldn't live without me many times (understandable lol), and I don't have any brats to worry about (as far as I am aware).

So, for those of you that are worried about your families and your own personal wellbeing, my deepest respect and sympathies are with you at this difficult time, but, for me, the world continues to spin and humour keeps me smiling.

Good luck to all :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

vandal
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by vandal »

aceyone wrote:My Doctors Surgery has now posted this on it's website

"Due to the Coronavirus outbreak the practice will be suspending all face to face appointments from Monday 16th March.

If you have an appointment booked, please DO NOT attend the surgery. The GP will contact you by phone to provide advice."

which is probably a good idea unless, like me ,a Consultant at my Hospital advised me to see my Doctor asap regarding a blood test and a review of medication ,all getting very awkward :dunno:


Same with ours. Our surgery now looks like a crime scene - stripey tape all over the floor, signs all over the front of & inside the building - 'Do Not Stand Beyond The Tape Until Requested - Do Not Enter The Building Unless....'

I fully understand why. If a doc sees 18 patients a day, that's either 18 chances to pick something up or 17 to pass it on.

farnboroughrob
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri 05 Jun 2009, 8:31 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by farnboroughrob »

Am I the only one having to lay down the law to elederly parents? They just don't seem to get the whole idea. I said I will visit them, on saturday and then that will be it until this ends. The only exception is if they want shopping and I will then leave that on the door step. They are both 80 and my mum is in poor health. They don't get that they can't just pop out for lunch, or go shopping together. I am in a high risk group9Asthma) but am carrying on because I have to go to work until if/when I get the virus. That work involves going to customer sites so I am at higher risk. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

User avatar
ericbee123
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 9:13 am
Location: Blackpool

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by ericbee123 »

My 49 year old brother is going to die, probably within a day or two, next week at most. Of cancer. Most of his organs are not working or in the process of shutting down. My 72 year old mother is travelling 40 miles a day to visit him in the hospice. Her son is about to die. Guaranteed. No getting better from this.

She is more at risk of being in a car accident and dying in that, so she’s not going to lock herself away and hope to not get ill. She’s ill anyway ( dodgy heart ) and going to die herself, probably sooner rather than later. She lives each day as if it’s her last anyway. Try to keep her indoors. Go on. I dare you !!!
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7611
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by CJS »

ericbee123 wrote:My 49 year old brother is going to die, probably within a day or two, next week at most. Of cancer. Most of his organs are not working or in the process of shutting down. My 72 year old mother is travelling 40 miles a day to visit him in the hospice. Her son is about to die. Guaranteed. No getting better from this.

She is more at risk of being in a car accident and dying in that, so she’s not going to lock herself away and hope to not get ill. She’s ill anyway ( dodgy heart ) and going to die herself, probably sooner rather than later. She lives each day as if it’s her last anyway. Try to keep her indoors. Go on. I dare you !!!


So sorry for your situation eric, there are of course no words that will help. Clearly, in these circumstances, your mother's travel (and any you are making) and the close contact involved in her visits is essential.

It couldn't be more so. :sad:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

vandal
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by vandal »

Been looking online, can't find an answer, doc was phoned last Friday but not phoned back (understandably) & don't want to tie up 111 asking this, but does anyone know, or has already been advised - if you live with a person deemed vulnerable and they are instructed to self isolate (not because they have or are showing symptoms, but to protect them) - does that go for everyone in the household too?

Common sense would say yes, because if they are advised to stay home to protect them, that would be pointless as you could just as easily bring it home with you, but legally, can you tell your employer that although you are of reasonable health, but because you live with someone who isn't & they have been instructed to isolate, you cannot attend work due to your domestic situation?

I know the Equalities Act 2010 includes a bit about Discrimination with regard to association with a Disabled person, but I don't know if this applies.

Thanks.

User avatar
Ewart
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Ewart »

vandal wrote:Been looking online, can't find an answer, doc was phoned last Friday but not phoned back (understandably) & don't want to tie up 111 asking this, but does anyone know, or has already been advised - if you live with a person deemed vulnerable and they are instructed to self isolate (not because they have or are showing symptoms, but to protect them) - does that go for everyone in the household too?

Common sense would say yes, because if they are advised to stay home to protect them, that would be pointless as you could just as easily bring it home with you, but legally, can you tell your employer that although you are of reasonable health, but because you live with someone who isn't & they have been instructed to isolate, you cannot attend work due to your domestic situation?

I know the Equalities Act 2010 includes a bit about Discrimination with regard to association with a Disabled person, but I don't know if this applies.

Thanks.


If you look at the Government advice regarding self-isolating when you have suspected Covid-19 then you live in a different room to your family, sleep separately, use the bathroom last (disinfecting after you) and bagging waste that you produce (I'd recommend double bagging it).

I doubt there will be a definite answer in regards to isolating you from those vulnerable in the same house hold when you don't have symptoms of Covid-19. Sensible precautions would need to be addressed, including (for want of a better description) self-decontamination of self and external items that you bring into the house. Limiting your time/number of visits spent in public area. Wear disposable gloves when out and dispose of them prior to returning home.

Essentially have a clean/dirty line in your house. So anything that you wear outside stays in the dirty section and you only step into the clean section once you've undertake the decontamination. Ideal if you have a washing area / entry prior to the main area of your house.

As for the work related question try contacting Acas or Citizens Advice.

vandal
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by vandal »

The problem there with ACAS / CAB, advice is usually if the employer 'discriminates' then the route may well be mediation or Tribunal - two situations that any right minded person would want to avoid normally, let alone now.

I wondered if the Government / Medical professionals can or have just outright said anyone who lives with a vulnerable person who is instructed to self isolate / stay at home for preventative measures, must also do the same.

Just wondered, that 'if' all reasonable options are also exhausted - ie - you can't live with a friend etc or your responsibilities prevent you from doing so, are there any guarantees there will be understanding & compassion from your employer. If it came down to the health of my wife or my job, there's absolutely no doubt which one would win, but that is a situation that no one should be worrying about, but I'd wager a fair few are giving it a bit of thought.

Edited to add - this advice is asked on the grounds 'IF' anyone deemed Vulnerable that you live with is instructed to self Isolate for preventative measures and not due to infection.

User avatar
Ewart
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Ewart »

Then that Vandal would be very much down to your employer. And none of us can second guess them.

I only meant Acas/CAB to get some clarity around the situation not to go in at the deep end and start with tribunal / mediation. Then you may well at least know where you stand.

And the above advice was for the 'if' situation as well as the 'infected.' Good sound advice to maintain that clean/dirty line.

User avatar
Mooshie1956
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:46 am
Location: Manchester

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Vandal as Ewart said regards keeping yourself and house clean, like I posted the other day, perhaps I'm OTT but I'm doing all I can to minimize the risks. Regarding work as far as I know you still have to go. The son is still at home and is will be working until Friday, he wont know whats happening till tomorrow when he goes back to work as he works in a nursery.
Our GP's advice and this was when the virus broke was to limit my time out and the wife to stay indoors and have no close contact with other people, this government is only starting to tell everyone now. We're due to see our GP tomorrow for his regular visit and I'm sure he will update us with anything new to do.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

vandal
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by vandal »

Thanks all.

We're all aware of the cleanliness etc - as I myself posted, you know your own hygiene but not that of others. Can't smell the air freshener in here for the cleaning products just now. Door handles, light switches - if it's been touched by more than one of us, then it's been wiped down.


Just the isolation issue. Watching PMBJ answering questions earlier, the one about Londoners ignoring his advice - tube, restaurants, buses being packed etc, to me isolation should mean just that - but that in itself is pointless to tell someone to remain at home when they still run the risk because the rest of the household can come & go as they please.

Granted, the World still turns & people need to earn a living, depend on others in the community for their everyday roles, I get that, but it's not fair to confine someone to home claiming it's for their own good when the risk remains the same.

Don't care what anyone says - you can be as clean & vigilant as you could ever hope to be but that's still not a guarantee - you could also argue that symptoms would be mild. For a normal person, yes, but someone with a suppressed immune system, what might cause you a bit of discomfort on a regular day, like the common cold - something as simple as that could put the immune suppressed person in hospital. Might sound like I'm stating the obvious, but that's just how bad it is. I would gladly stay at home for a couple of weeks or whatever if it ensured my wife & family's health, small price to pay. Just need clarity. There's plenty of advice for anyone infected, but there needs to be definitive advice to protect the vulnerable. Telling them to isolate for however long doesn't go far enough.

If / when I get an answer, I'll post it.

Thanks again all.

EGLL
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu 13 Dec 2018, 3:14 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by EGLL »

My thoughts? Exactly the same as mentioned here. https://www.davidicke.com/article/56601 ... rus-crisis

User avatar
AndyXH558
Posts: 1843
Joined: Sat 04 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by AndyXH558 »

I now work for laboratory services at a major hospital . Basically I pick up the samples from the doctors surgeries and local hospitals. We were only given gloves on the Thursday last week. When we found out that one of the surgeries had a positive diagnosis.

The surgery went into lock down and was deep cleaned. I believe 3 members of staff were tested positive.

This is really worrying. I'm currently off on holiday due to what's was filming commitments. But was cancelled.

I've not heard anything back from the hospital. Surfice to say I'm worried. Think we will be working in the lab for the foreseeable. But that remains to be seen.

Never been so clean. The house is spotless. But with cats it's difficult..

All I ask is you all stay safe though this. Try and follow the French and Italian people for advice. I don't hold much hope in the bafoon we have as pm.
Start every day with a smile!

Zoom
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Zoom »

We have some (not that elderly but over 70) neighbours over the road. They came back from Spain yesterday so are self confining. We offered to go to the big Tesco for them (by text) and they asked for a few items.

As the store has stopped 24hr opening we went at 6 this morning as we knew what they needed would not last on the shelves long; it was busier than on a weekend and everyone had huge trollies full. They were using staff to confiscate extra loo rolls etc above their limit. We bought about another dozen items, luckily meat seems in good supply so we were able to buy the plant based alternatives (I don't eat meat)

It may be that many were doing their weekly shop whilst the shelves were relatively well stocked and before going to work but it felt very sordid. And also unsafe.

Just realised I needed to get a microphone so I can Skype from home, Oh well that will have to be from Robert Dyas, I'm not going back to Tesco for a few days now.

The only good headline today was that China say they have no new cases; although I take what they say with a pinch of salt, I did hear somewhere that they had detected huge cremation sites way beyond the quoted number of deaths when the outbreak started
Last edited by Zoom on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by iainpeden »

With regard to people stock piling food etc; our local Aldi did £200,000 more business last week than in their busiest Christmas week.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by iainpeden »

I found this article interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51944780

The map of the intensity of nitrogen dioxide levels over northern Italy seems to match closely the areas most badly affected.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Zoom
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Zoom »

No surprise that the "London only lockdown" has received a categorical denial from the UK Gov't. How would that work? People would just either escape permanently to friends / relatives outside the zone or at weekends. Even if the Police set up roadblocks (probably harder than policing the Irish border and it would have to 24/7 including all commuters and goods) there are many ways to get from the Underground onto mainline trains (or even onto the National Rail Network) without going through a ticket barrier.
Last edited by Zoom on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply