COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Finningley Boy

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Finningley Boy »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... weeks.html

Following calls for an exit strategy it would appear one has been published.

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Yeah, published in the Daily Fail. :roll:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

As a draft, that exit strategy has a logic (despite the paper which published it) about it which makes sense. It will only be a draft and no doubt subject to change; the only thing which the "leaker" has done is make sure those dates won't be the actual ones.

Going back to Speedbird's post. The scientist will have his views, others will have varying ones or totally opposite ideas. It's an evolving situation and I'm glad it's not me having to make the decisions.

I caught, briefly, an interesting graph at lunchtime during Trump's (ok ok)press conference. It showed that the Netherlands and Belgium have double the death rate, according to population, than that of the UK. Apparently the Dutch are following the "herd immunity" model while Belgium has a strong lockdown. I suspect that it will come out that different strategies have worked in different countries and that some countries which have followed common strategies but will have very different outcomes.

Tommy - all thanks to your partner for her work

Has anybody heard from FarnboroRob who shared his illness with us a while ago - just hope he's ok.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Pen Pusher wrote:Yeah, published in the Daily Fail. :roll:

Brian

Meaning you wouldn't even stop to question it if it pitched up in the Grauniad.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:Speedbird2639. Yes, that must be the "right" view since it agrees with yours, whereas all the other "senior epidemiologists" must be wrong.....

The "correct" view, as always, is probably somewhere in the middle.

Unlikely: the fact that compromise is the UK way does not make it right (and of course for the middle way to be right implies both epidemiologist groups are actually wrong). In this case almost certainly one or the other of the epidemiologist groups is right, not neither. Place your bets....

I watched the whole interview; the man clearly knows his stuff but he's an epidemeologist not a pandemiologist and we are in uncharted waters. He made some wild claims (eg 50% have already had the virus) without any actual scientific proof other than what has been observed with 'flu etc. He's certainly wrong that the normal death rate in the UK hasn't changed since last month.

There are other news stories today saying that many believe Sweden's policy is coming back to bite them big time.

I think he's also right in that the UK generally "like" and respect the measures we have taken, although that may well change as the true costs on the economy and jobs start to hit. And when this lovely spell of weather takes a turn for the worst and we all have to cancel our holidays...
Last edited by Zoom on Sun 19 Apr 2020, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Finningley Boy wrote:

Brian

Can't remember the last time I bough or read a newspaper let alone believe anything they print in them.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I continue to be amazed at the confusion between formal government communication and media speculation. That Daily Mail article is pure guess work with zero factual background. "could" this and "could" that. It is utterly meaningless. I could get my son to publish an exit strategy on Facebook and it would be as useful and meaningful as the Daily Mail's version. Why, as a nation, do we still place so much trust in newspapers?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

PB - re. trust in newspapers.

I have just looked for the TW3/possibly 2 Ronnies sketch which explained who reads which newspaper.
It went along the lines that people who read The Times think they run the country, people who read The Telegraph do run the country and people who read The Sun think the country should be run by the girls with the largest ..........., well you get the idea.

Unfortunately I couldn't find it so this will have to do instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=nxpZkKKbDgA
Hopefully it will bring a smile in these difficult times.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

Brian

Can't remember the last time I bough or read a newspaper let alone believe anything they print in them.

Brian

If you don't believe anything printed in any newspaper, a rather extreme dismissive attitude, then why, as with others under the current fashion, single out the Daily Mail? Invariably!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

iainpeden wrote:PB - re. trust in newspapers.

I have just looked for the TW3/possibly 2 Ronnies sketch which explained who reads which newspaper.
It went along the lines that people who read The Times think they run the country, people who read The Telegraph do run the country and people who read The Sun think the country should be run by the girls with the largest ..........., well you get the idea.

Unfortunately I couldn't find it so this will have to do instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=nxpZkKKbDgA
Hopefully it will bring a smile in these difficult times.

A slight expansion/correction if I may;

The Times is read by the people who run the country

The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country

The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they should run the country

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country should be run by another country

The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it already is!

And the Sun is read by people who don't care who runs the country so long as she's got bit T**s!

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

Brian

Brian

If you don't believe anything printed in any newspaper, a rather extreme dismissive attitude, then why, as with others under the current fashion, single out the Daily Mail? Invariably!

Possibly because of the evident bias of the "newspaper" and the others like it.

I take anything I read in any newspaper with a pinch of salt, whereas the likes of the Mail, Express, Mirror and Sun need a whole spoonful.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Anyone on the forum know about cargo shipping? We were told on Saturday during the offical virus briefing that 84 tonnes of PPE was "due to arrive" the following day (today) but it will not arrive today with no reason given and no new due time. Assuming that the cargo ship would have been well on its way late afternoon on Sat, why would it not arrive the following day? It's journey would be almost completed?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Because I used to read newspapers and I doubt any of them have changed since I stopped reading them.

The Daily Mail is a right wing leaning newspaper and will say 'THIS STUFF' is the best thing since sliced bread and good for the country while the Gundian (so called because it was full of spelling mistakes) which is a left wing laning paper will say 'THIS STUFF' is not the best thong since sliced brad and not good fur the country. Only one of them will be right depending on your political leanings.

Think of the money I've saved as well not buying newsprint.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Because I used to read newspapers and I doubt any of them have changed since I stopped reading them.

The Daily Mail is a right wing leaning newspaper and will say 'THIS STUFF' is the best thing since sliced bread and good for the country while the Gundian (so called because it was full of spelling mistakes) which is a left wing laning paper will say 'THIS STUFF' is not the best thong since sliced brad and not good fur the country. Only one of them will be right depending on your political leanings.

Think of the money I've saved as well not buying newsprint.

Brian

I'll look forward to the next time you sneer at a quote from any paper but the Daily Mail, Express and Telegraph don't count, just those two!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Re. Who reads what.

It was "Yes, Minister."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

Thanks PB

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

We are going way off topic here but we all have too much time etc etc,

One of my favourite writers is Martin Buckley of Classic Car Magazine.

I’m now that man with age spots on his hands who slightly surreptitiously buys the Daily Mail on holiday (I can’t bring myself to do it at home yet), but also feels he has a balanced political view: vote Buckley and I promise to re-nationalise the railways and bring back hanging.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

pbeardmore wrote:Anyone on the forum know about cargo shipping? We were told on Saturday during the offical virus briefing that 84 tonnes of PPE was "due to arrive" the following day (today) but it will not arrive today with no reason given and no new due time. Assuming that the cargo ship would have been well on its way late afternoon on Sat, why would it not arrive the following day? It's journey would be almost completed?

Maybe it's coming by air and hasn't taken off yet? It's coming from Turkey so if it was arriving by sea it would have left quite some time ago!

84 tons can be carried by one 747 / 777 or a pair of A300's

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

It was mentioned in today's briefing that the RAF were there but the cargo had not arrived at the airport. C-17 or Voyager I'd guess.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Are cheers, interesting, 84 tonnes, thats some load, surely, multiple trips? airframes? - I hope they have not paid in advance like the Chinese tests

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

pbeardmore wrote:Are cheers, interesting, 84 tonnes, thats some load, surely, multiple trips? airframes? - I hope they have not paid in advance like the Chinese tests

84 tonnes or 4 days supply of ppe.
These flights will be a few times a week if we are getting ppe made in Turkey.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I am supprised about the lack of PPE surrely we here in the country could have asked more companies from the clothing and other industries to have gone into some kind of manufacturing process to make millions of pieces of equipment, the government could have aggreed to pay the companies what they would need to pay thier staff a full wage and also cover the cost of materials needed.
This would have helped in mant areas - Equipment, work and wages for the workers.

Just an idea (I'll get my coat)

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Good idea,get your coat,and go back to school,and learn how to spell, and compose paragraphs etc.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

RAF4EVER wrote:Good idea,get your coat,and go back to school,and learn how to spell, and compose paragraphs etc.

Look do me a favour and every one else, just go and respectfully get lost go and wast anybody elses time, stupid childish remarks and comments like that are not welcome on here.
Do you think you look clever or something.

Just for your information I suffer from Dyslexia and also have some sight issues so seeing my screen is not always that great even with the brightness turned up.

Suppose you want to have a laugh and a dig about that also.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I am Sick to death of the attitude from a few on here, mocking people because of something they can not help is nothing short of childish bullying, and frankly posters who do this should be banned from here for life.

I cant help my typing due to my Dyslexia and poor eyesight mocking me for it is just not on.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I too suffer from dyslexia. I just use a spell checker. Problem solved.

Whether I am on my laptop or on my phone. It takes just a few seconds longer and it means my posts are easy to read for everyone.

I appreciate what you’re saying but I see it from the other point of view too..