COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
pbeardmore

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by pbeardmore »

"there will be many people looking now at our apparent success"

I hope Angela was not listening to that. Coffee all over her laptop. (this is pure Trump, no matter what happens and no matter what the comparative data is , you call it a success.)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

EGLL

Post by EGLL »

Social distancing being observed on Downing Street.

https://twitter.com/BealineBase/status/ ... 40/photo/1

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Some journalists seem to have far too much time on their hands now :biggrin:
Posted at 14:13

'Self-congratulation recurring' in Trump briefings

US President Donald Trump has spoken over 260,000 words in his coronavirus press briefings - and journalists from the New York Times have analysed every one to determine the patterns of his messages.

"By far the most recurring utterances from Mr. Trump in the briefings are self-congratulations," it says.

"He does credit others (more than 360 times) for their work, but he also blames others (more than 110 times) for inadequacies in the state and federal response."
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... lyzed.html
BBC Web

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

pbeardmore wrote:"there will be many people looking now at our apparent success"

I hope Angela was not listening to that. Coffee all over her laptop. (this is pure Trump, no matter what happens and no matter what the comparative data is , you call it a success.)
Why not add a few more words to broaden that quote:

"It is also the moment of maximum risk because I know that there will be many people looking now at our apparent success and beginning to wonder whether now is the time to go easy on those social distancing measures."

Context, what was he talking about, success in the overall battle or as a part of a direct plea not to ease social distancing?

If its the first then I clearly agree with you but if its the second and it can be just as easily be read that way if you show the entire phrase where the key element is the word risk.....

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pbeardmore wrote:"there will be many people looking now at our apparent success"

Didn't Douglas Haig say something similar on 1 July 1916? "Not all died, come on, as a percentage of everyone in uniform, 19,000 fatalities is hardly anything".

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Spiny Norman wrote:

Didn't Douglas Haig say something similar on 1 July 1916? "Not all died, come on, as a percentage of everyone in uniform, 19,000 fatalities is hardly anything".
Broaden the PM quote and read all of the words, lots of reasons to have a go but this might not be one of them...……..
Last edited by Tomahawk on Mon 27 Apr 2020, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Spiny Norman wrote:

No

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

starbuck wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

No
:lol:

T_J

Post by T_J »

An example of the madness surrounding coronavirus.
Maatje Benassi, a US Army reservist and mother of two, has become the target of conspiracy theorists who falsely place her at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, saying she brought the disease to China.

The false claims are spreading across YouTube every day, so far racking up hundreds of thousands of apparent views, and have been embraced by Chinese Communist Party media. Despite never having tested positive for the coronavirus or experienced symptoms, Benassi and her husband are now subjects of discussion on Chinese social media about the outbreak, including among accounts that are known drivers of large-scale coordinated activities by their followers.

The claims have turned their lives upside down. The couple say their home address has been posted online and that, before they shut down their accounts, their social media inboxes were overrun with messages from believers of the conspiracy.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/27/tech ... index.html

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wonder if we will see more get togethers this week with the police and emergency services clapping the NHS, good to see the NHS getting the thanks and respect they deserve - should have happened years ago.

With reference to the exercise for such a pandemic didn't they also have one such even held around a table in Oct last year with several high up people including Mr Gates where they discussed a very similar virus and out come, so they had lots of practice you would have thought.

I received some sad news the other day, as a direct reaction from the virus and lockdowns a good friend of mine was so worked up from the worry over this, and scared by all the news reports, he died, not of Covid though.

Sad times when the outcome of the lock down is also causing severe situations for some.

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Sad times when the outcome of the lock down is also causing severe situations for some.
Sad indeed, and an unfortunate legacy of this whole thing that will probably remain forever unmeasurable.

In other news, more extreme stupidity from the 'leader of the free world'...

President [45 - I am going to stop using his name, it upsets me...] has said he "can't imagine why" US hotline calls about disinfectant have risen after he suggested injecting the substance to treat coronavirus.

"I can't imagine why," the president said, moving quickly on. "I can't imagine that."

When asked whether he took responsibility at all for the increase in calls, [45] replied: "No, I don't."

(from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52450692)

Perhaps anyone stupid enough to still be considering voting for him should read this - I mean actually read it. Slowly and making sure you try to take it in (get someone to help with the long words if necessary) before they decide.

I actually just read it out loud, to make sure it was a ridiculous as I thought it was.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

CJS wrote:
Sad indeed, and an unfortunate legacy of this whole thing that will probably remain forever unmeasurable.

President [45 - I am going to stop using his name, it upsets me...] has said he "can't imagine why" US hotline calls about disinfectant have risen after he suggested injecting the substance to treat coronavirus.

"I can't imagine why," the president said, moving quickly on. "I can't imagine that."

When asked whether he took responsibility at all for the increase in calls, [45] replied: "No, I don't."

Perhaps anyone stupid enough to still be considering voting for him should read this - I mean actually read it. Slowly and making sure you try to take it in (get someone to help with the long words if necessary) before they decide.

I actually just read it out loud, to make sure it was a ridiculous as I thought it was.
Do you now or would you ever use the name Adolf Hitler in reference to same? If so shouldn't that upset you a hell of a lot more? Or Joe Stalin, or Nicolai Caucescu or Xing Jin Ping or Kim Jong anything? To be truly objective, these names should earn your being terribly upset at the mention of far more than the mention of President Trump. :question:

The latter is simply an oddity, a head scratcher for sure, but not a brutal dictator, that's where he stands out from the rest of the crowd.

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

What irritates me most regarding Trumps speeches ,is how he keeps on about how much better the US is doing than other countries ,etc ,perhaps he thinks there will be a World Virus Medal Competition and the good ole USA will come top of the table and he will receive the gold medal :wall:

Last edited by aceyone on Tue 28 Apr 2020, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

CJS

Post by CJS »

Finningley Boy wrote:
CJS wrote:

Do you now or would you ever use the name Adolf Hitler in reference to same? If so shouldn't that upset you a hell of a lot more? Or Joe Stalin, or Nicolai Caucescu or Xing Jin Ping or Kim Jong anything? To be truly objective, these names should earn your being terribly upset at the mention of far more than the mention of President Trump. :question:

The latter is simply an oddity, a head scratcher for sure, but not a brutal dictator, that's where he stands out from the rest of the crowd.

Not quite the response I was expecting (or perhaps it was, this is UKAR after all :grin: ).

I wasn't comparing him to the dictators you mention, you've decided that's what I was doing, by putting words in to my mouth.

Although as you've decided to bring the others up, I think it unlikely that millions of people are going to be going to the polls later this year with Hitler, Stalin or Ceausescu on the ballot paper. The American people will soon have the choice to not vote for this great orange fool, and the more that make that choice, the better off we'll all be (IMHO of course, blah blah blah...).

I've just decided that the use of his name probably just gives rise to more available internet search results about him, which the world can do without. Now, clearly one person deciding to call him 45 isn't going to make any difference, but it makes me feel better, so whatever.

Thanks for your input though, much appreciated :up: :butt: :tongue:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

ok :cuppa:

Meanwhile, here's something else I'm sure we all hope POTUSDT doesn't screw up with his theatrical huffs! :up:

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/unit ... t-covid-19

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Not exactly the most reliable source but

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1149180 ... ronavirus/

If so where does this leave Sweden who are I believe in the EU and Schengen?

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Finningley Boy wrote:
CJS wrote:

Excellent whataboutery...well done.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Zoom wrote:Not exactly the most reliable source but

i mean it would make sense to an extent, we are still not showing signs of opening our lockdown whereas the rest of europe is.

that said, I'm going to file this with the daily mail article which said pubs will reopen but people will be restricted to 2 or 3 pints

Berf

Post by Berf »

Uk advises against travel to Sweden right now (unless essential) however there are no direct flights.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Parsley,

Its only whataboutery if you cravenly and misguidedly believe, in time honoured Western Left-Liberal fashion, that there are only two pariah states on the face of the planet; USA and UK. You seem to, as a surprising number of ukarians appear to, fall into that category.

There is no scale of comparison at all with any US President, including the current one, and the laws they preside and have presided over, that in anyway shape or form compare with the pitiless and murderous nature of the tiny handful of past and present genuine dictatorial leaders I listed.

You can take a dim view of Trump's buffoonery all you like, that's one thing. But to hold this one individual as the supreme despot, hence your "whataboutery" jibe, is now a long standing clichéd pejorative position of the trendy left. There was a young chap, educated jowels as always, got himself into trouble with Majid Nawaz on LBC on Sunday, he was telling Majid what a bad country the USA was and how evil Trump is. Majid, who is no right-winger, but a rational, balanced and informed individual, was defending the USA and Trump against the ridiculous charges sweepingly sneered at them from the caller.

He described, in whataboutery fashion, as you'd describe it I suppose, how in China over a million muslims are imprisoned and held in Gulags/Concentration Centres, and murdered with impunity then their organs harvested. Now I don't know the source of this information, perhaps the internet shall provide, but his caller responded to this, as one might expect, by telling Majid "that's an interesting soundbite" and was about to dismiss the claim and sweep on. The Host was incensed at this stupid comment and dismissive attitude, he told him never to call again.

When you seek to defend the same kind of sweeping ill-balance judgement on the US, I get the same feeling.

FB

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Berf wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 3:27 pm

Uk advises against travel to Sweden right now (unless essential) however there are no direct flights.
No I meant that UK are being singled out for travel to the Balearic islands for not taking action early enough whereas Sweden aren't (and I think it's safe to say they are more relaxed about containing it than the UK)

I get the impression that the thinking is along the lines of other countries having had similar approaches to Spain so there is no great difference between staying in your own country or flying to Spain (apart from the small matter of sharing a confined space with maybe 200 others for 2 hours)

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 3:42 pm
Parsley,

Its only whataboutery if you cravenly and misguidedly believe, in time honoured Western Left-Liberal fashion, that there are only two pariah states on the face of the planet; USA and UK. You seem to, as a surprising number of ukarians appear to, fall into that category.

There is no scale of comparison at all with any US President, including the current one, and the laws they preside and have presided over, that in anyway shape or form compare with the pitiless and murderous nature of the tiny handful of past and present genuine dictatorial leaders I listed.

You can take a dim view of Trump's buffoonery all you like, that's one thing. But to hold this one individual as the supreme despot, hence your "whataboutery" jibe, is now a long standing clichéd pejorative position of the trendy left. There was a young chap, educated jowels as always, got himself into trouble with Majid Nawaz on LBC on Sunday, he was telling Majid what a bad country the USA was and how evil Trump is. Majid, who is no right-winger, but a rational, balanced and informed individual, was defending the USA and Trump against the ridiculous charges sweepingly sneered at them from the caller.

He described, in whataboutery fashion, as you'd describe it I suppose, how in China over a million muslims are imprisoned and held in Gulags/Concentration Centres, and murdered with impunity then their organs harvested. Now I don't know the source of this information, perhaps the internet shall provide, but his caller responded to this, as one might expect, by telling Majid "that's an interesting soundbite" and was about to dismiss the claim and sweep on. The Host was incensed at this stupid comment and dismissive attitude, he told him never to call again.

When you seek to defend the same kind of sweeping ill-balance judgement on the US, I get the same feeling.

FB
FB - I do apologise for not replying earlier but I wasn't able to comment last night due the Site update and was working earlier today.

Thank you for your self righteous rant...now what was that famous Denis Healey quote about Geoffrey Howe ?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Rancid.

Hancock has had an otherwise “good” crisis, I think. Second only to Sunak, but this gerrymandering is godawful and cynical.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I am not convinced the BBC Reality check is accurate. At the information session yesterday the scientist who has led the huge increase in testing said that the tests had been counted in the same way all through the exercise. That is what matters, consistency in data handling not changing methodology half way through.
What my on-going question is is about the percentage of tests being positive. At the beginning it appeared to be about 25%, figures yesterday were about 170000 out of 1000000 - so around 17%. If 83% of those tested have symptoms suggesting Covid infection but it is not proved by the test then what is causing the symptoms? (Very rough figure but indicative)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)