COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Zoom

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Zoom »

Gt5500 wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 1:21 pm
Having been told we could carry holiday over as per the government guidelines I've now been told I've got to take it all before the end of the year. Apparently as covid hasn't prevented us from taking our leave the company is not obliged to offer to carry it over, even though my line manager told me we could (sadly not in writing).
Whilst it is true that they haven't prevented us from taking leave most of us have chosen not to as our holiday plans were all cancelled and now even visiting friends and family is off the cards in most cases.
OK it's not a tragedy but it just seems a bit unfair and shortsighted of them.
I saw that from my NHS Trust too; wasn't quite sure what being unable to take leave due to Covid-19 meant. I would have thought having to cancel holidays abroad due to firstly not being able to travel and recently requiring self isolation on return were good reasons. Sounds like your employer can do what they want as the guidelines are just that.

I get 7 weeks annual leave and tend to take them all as cheap overseas breaks including with my 2 sons although not at the same time, clearly that won't happen this year (will be lucky to take 3 weeks) but I can't say I'm actually being prevented from taking leave; just not able to use it for the usual purpose

Of course if you planned to take eg a month in the Rockies and couldn't because of the current restrictions and needed to take those 4 weeks over to next year to do the same trip it would be churlish to not allow it.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Gotta love these new rules - it's my son's birthday next week, but he can't have his best friend over because she's got a little sister (she's two) and if her mum and dad come there will be 7 of us meeting in our back garden. So we're seriously - honestly - thinking about driving 15 minutes in to Wales (where, get this, the virus keeps away from children) to have a picnic.

Our other option of course would be to arrange a grouse shooting party for him, then he can invite his whole class.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

It is ridiculous and I can't help thinking that, unfortunately, there is politicking going on with the devolved nations wanting to be seen to do something different to London but I do think that the English rules are the way to go at the moment

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Re. what is happening in the devolved nations. If it is bothering any of you, you have 2 choices, move to the devolved nations to take "advantage" of the perceived benefits, or if you disagree with them, stay where you are and stop moaning about it, it doesn't affect you anyway.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

CJS wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 5:38 am
Gotta love these new rules - it's my son's birthday next week, but he can't have his best friend over because she's got a little sister (she's two) and if her mum and dad come there will be 7 of us meeting in our back garden. So we're seriously - honestly - thinking about driving 15 minutes in to Wales (where, get this, the virus keeps away from children) to have a picnic.

Our other option of course would be to arrange a grouse shooting party for him, then he can invite his whole class.
Can’t you do shifts at the party? One of the adults sits outside in the car and you swop over every half an hour or so?

Or lease part of your garden to his best friend’s parents? Stick up a fence on the boundary between the two properties and have at least one of you on the other side of the fence at all times?

Or tie two of the children together and, if any nosey neighbours ask any questions, say you’re still awaiting legal guidance on whether co-joined twins count as one or two people for the purposes of the new laws?

I wouldn’t go down the grouse shooting route. Children, fire arms and e-numbers don’t mix. I mean, we’ve all been there, haven’t we?
Ken

CJS

Post by CJS »

toom317 wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 9:42 am
Re. what is happening in the devolved nations. If it is bothering any of you, you have 2 choices, move to the devolved nations to take "advantage" of the perceived benefits, or if you disagree with them, stay where you are and stop moaning about it, it doesn't affect you anyway.
Surely the point is not whether or not we (or anyone) agree with the rules, but in this case that rules across the UK differ so wildly. It's not unreasonable to find it odd at best that Wales, Scotland, NI and England can have very different ideas about what is the best way to keep us safe whilst still apparently being part of one UK wide team.

Anyway toom317, we have a third option - we can complain bitterly about it whilst at the same time acknowledging that there's very little we can do about it. Which I personally find the most satisfying by a considerable margin. Toodle pip, I'm off to shoot something with 6 close friends...

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 12:51 pm
CJS wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 5:38 am

Can’t you do shifts at the party? One of the adults sits outside in the car and you swop over every half an hour or so?

Or lease part of your garden to his best friend’s parents? Stick up a fence on the boundary between the two properties and have at least one of you on the other side of the fence at all times?

Or tie two of the children together and, if any nosey neighbours ask any questions, say you’re still awaiting legal guidance on whether co-joined twins count as one or two people for the purposes of the new laws?

I wouldn’t go down the grouse shooting route. Children, fire arms and e-numbers don’t mix. I mean, we’ve all been there, haven’t we?
Liking these ideas Ken, liking them very much. have you considered a career in childcare? :lol:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Home Secretary has this to say:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54165362

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Surely the point is not whether or not we (or anyone) agree with the rules, but in this case that rules across the UK differ so wildly. It's not unreasonable to find it odd at best that Wales, Scotland, NI and England can have very different ideas about what is the best way to keep us safe whilst still apparently being part of one UK wide team.
But England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have many different approaches to other laws e.g. criminal law, property, probate, personal injury, abortion etc.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not the same - as are Leicester, Bolton and those other places that have had local lock downs.

The populations are different and their governments are different - I don't see it as any different to comparing France, Germany, Italy or Sweden - they are all made up of different communities with differing attributes e.g. age profiles, population density and spread etc.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

CJS wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 12:52 pm
.... being part of one UK wide team.
Yeh one UK team, that's a laugh. While no fan of Miss S, at least she acts like a leader and gives out clear advice, not like the useless gits down in Westminster.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Zoom wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 2:38 pm
Gt5500 wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 1:21 pm
Having been told we could carry holiday over as per the government guidelines I've now been told I've got to take it all before the end of the year. Apparently as covid hasn't prevented us from taking our leave the company is not obliged to offer to carry it over, even though my line manager told me we could (sadly not in writing).
Whilst it is true that they haven't prevented us from taking leave most of us have chosen not to as our holiday plans were all cancelled and now even visiting friends and family is off the cards in most cases.
OK it's not a tragedy but it just seems a bit unfair and shortsighted of them.
I saw that from my NHS Trust too; wasn't quite sure what being unable to take leave due to Covid-19 meant. I would have thought having to cancel holidays abroad due to firstly not being able to travel and recently requiring self isolation on return were good reasons. Sounds like your employer can do what they want as the guidelines are just that.

I get 7 weeks annual leave and tend to take them all as cheap overseas breaks including with my 2 sons although not at the same time, clearly that won't happen this year (will be lucky to take 3 weeks) but I can't say I'm actually being prevented from taking leave; just not able to use it for the usual purpose

Of course if you planned to take eg a month in the Rockies and couldn't because of the current restrictions and needed to take those 4 weeks over to next year to do the same trip it would be churlish to not allow it.
It is very much worth your while reading the guidelines regarding this if you are about to run our of time to take holidays. However, your chances of being allowed to carry holidays over will more than likely disappear once you have digested the information within.

Basically, if you have not taken your allocated leave because there was no point, then the company does not have to allow any carry over. On the other hand, you had leave booked/requested and the company cancelled/rejected that because of a Covid outbreak and they needed to provide a minimum service, then you are entitled to present the evidence and claim for that leave to be carried over.

The situation i found myself in was booking leave for a couple of random days and a summer holiday, but keeping most of my leave for last 3 months of my leave year. Once onto a 3 on 6 off distancing pattern, i had two days rearranged for operational need and most of my summer holidays returned. As it turns out, 15 days off with nothing to day wasnt the best idea, but it helped and now we are back to our normal roster, i am hopefully now left with 4 days to carry. Just in time to go back to square one!
Stay Safe.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

ArabJazzie wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 11:09 pm
It is very much worth your while reading the guidelines 124327474657 this if you are about to run our of time to take holidays. However, your chances of being allowed to carry holidays over will more than likely disappear once you have digested the information within.

Basically, if you have not taken your allocated leave because there was no point, then the company does not have to allow any carry over. On the other hand, you had leave booked/requested and the company cancelled/rejected that because of a Covid outbreak and they needed to provide a minimum service, then you are entitled to present the evidence and claim for that leave to be carried over.

The situation i found myself in was booking leave for a couple of random days and a summer holiday, but keeping most of my leave for last 3 months of my leave year. Once onto a 3 on 6 off distancing pattern, i had two days rearranged for operational need and most of my summer holidays returned. As it turns out, 15 days off with nothing to day wasnt the best idea, but it helped and now we are back to our normal roster, i am hopefully now left with 4 days to carry. Just in time to go back to square one!
Stay Safe.
Oh I'm sure the company is within their rights to do it, doesn't stop it being annoying though. The only thing I may be able to use as ammo to fight them is that at least 2 senior members of staff advised me verbally that we could carry over 2 weeks. Further you would have thought that given the government were going round saying you can carry leave over, if our company were not going to honour this they would have told us at the time, rather than wait until the summer is over and theres only 3 months left to take it.
Based on this and having had all my holiday plans cancelled I decided to save mine until next year.
Now I find myself in a situation where I have to take it, my kids are at school and my missus is a teacher so will be working (already got the October half term booked off) so I'll be sat at home by myself. What makes it worse is I had 3 weeks furlough and 8 days mandatory leave which the company subsequently did a u turn on and credited back to us, so it's not like I haven't had the required leave period this year anyway.

CJS

Post by CJS »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-54163293

"Transport bosses in Greater Manchester confirmed a snake was not a valid face covering." :lol: :rofl:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

CJS wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 10:32 am

"Transport bosses in Greater Manchester confirmed a snake was not a valid face covering." :lol: :rofl:
When i first heard about this, i thought only in America and then so surprised to see it was this country!
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

With the "So called" ramped up testing - all over the place what are the symptoms they are finding that indicate its a positive result? as I might be wrong - but im sure they have not found a direct code for Covid19 yet even scientists have said it leading to some false positives.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 8:48 am
Oh I'm sure the company is within their rights to do it, doesn't stop it being annoying though. The only thing I may be able to use as ammo to fight them is that at least 2 senior members of staff advised me verbally that we could carry over 2 weeks. Further you would have thought that given the government were going round saying you can carry leave over, if our company were not going to honour this they would have told us at the time, rather than wait until the summer is over and theres only 3 months left to take it.
Based on this and having had all my holiday plans cancelled I decided to save mine until next year.
Now I find myself in a situation where I have to take it, my kids are at school and my missus is a teacher so will be working (already got the October half term booked off) so I'll be sat at home by myself. What makes it worse is I had 3 weeks furlough and 8 days mandatory leave which the company subsequently did a u turn on and credited back to us, so it's not like I haven't had the required leave period this year anyway.
Yes it is annoying, but the government saying that employees can carry leave over, doesnt mean much when you just know that the guidance will be written in a way that makes it hard to put into practice.

I have certainly been one of the lucky ones when it comes to how we have been treated and the information put out. Basically from June we were told to take as much leave as we could and 7 days was the max to carry over.

I would be trying the verbal card if i were in your situation, along with the late notice to take your leave, but i cant see them allowing the 2 weeks carry over, but maybe a week will help out.
Stay Safe
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 9:44 pm
With the "So called" ramped up testing - all over the place what are the symptoms they are finding that indicate its a positive result? as I might be wrong - but im sure they have not found a direct code for Covid19 yet even scientists have said it leading to some false positives.
The test looks for the genetic sequence that makes up CoVID-19. This sequence has been known since around June of this year.

Tests do not look for symptoms, like you have suggested a couple of times.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 5:39 am
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 9:44 pm
The test looks for the genetic sequence that makes up CoVID-19. This sequence has been known since around June of this year.

Tests do not look for symptoms, like you have suggested a couple of times.
It was originally genetically sequenced by the Chinese at the beginning of the year, but this is an ongoing effort due to the way it is constantly mutating.

There are two types of test - the one that tells you if you have it, and the one that tells you if you had it. Each looks for different markers whether that is the virus or the presence of antibodies - however, there are questions around the accuracy of some of the antibody tests.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

If you book a test through the NHS do you get both tests or just a test to see if you have it now?

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

starbuck wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 9:55 am
If you book a test through the NHS do you get both tests or just a test to see if you have it now?
I think you just get the PCR test looking for the virus in the swab. The antibody test is more for surveillance studies to check how many of the population have been exposed rather than infected (assuming everyone that has been exposed forms the antibody and it's still detectable many months later) it also requires a blood sample which you don't get in drive through testing stations.

Robin

Post by Robin »

rdchawk wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 11:03 am
CJS wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 10:32 am

When i first heard about this, i thought only in America and then so surprised to see it was this country!
This morning I took a journey on my local 'Arriva' bus, during the 30 minute journey I noticed that 3 or 4 passengers were not wearing 'face masks', their ages were from teens to elderly (I am in my 80s). When I got off the bus, I asked the driver if had he checked why they were not wearing face covering, as I thought that this was mandatory. He replied that it was up to the individual to decide, it was not up to him to police the rule!!!!!. 'Arriva' must have spent thousands of pounds on advertising this 'ruling', they even have it printed on the bus destination boards. I wonder why.
Per Ardua ad Astra

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

[quote=j

There are two types of test - the one that tells you if you have it, and the one that tells you if you had it. Each looks for different markers whether that is the virus or the presence of antibodies - however, there are questions around the accuracy of some of the antibody tests.
[/quote]

This is where I think the problem is - other symtoms are throwing up false positives - not my theory but many doctors have said the same.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 3:55 pm
[quote=j

This is where I think the problem is - other symtoms are throwing up false positives - not my theory but many doctors have said the same.
[/quote]

I believe some tests are picking up, as positive, dead virus which is no longer infectious.

I know the government appears to be making a complete and utter mess of things but they are caught between a rock and a hard place. At a time of low need, encourage everybody to get a test if they want one; Joe Public, having been scared to high heaven by the one bit of Boris' communications that has actually been effective, do so - which then overwhelms the system when it's more needed.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Strange there are no lock downs in London.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 5:44 pm
Strange there are no lock downs in London.
Why strange if the evidence is not suggesting a need?

I don't know what the infection rate per 100,000 for different boroughs of London are but Liverpool, Newcastle and its surroundings (93 per 100,000), areas of Manchester and Birmingham all show high and increasing readings. By contrast the rate in Leicester is falling, hence the drawing back from lockdown. Remember the rule of thumb being used by the government for decisions on whether tourists need to quarantine for 14 days is 20 per 100,000.

BBC news today looked at Marseille in southern France with a rate of 312 per 100,000, where the ITUs are nearly full and there is also a problem with testing to the point where the French Health Minister issued an apology.
We can't look at this as a purely British issue and need to be aware of what is happening around the world. (That's not meant to be an excuse for Boris and his gang)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)