COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Zoom

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Zoom »

Just read the new rules for the NE of England. They all seem quite sensible apart from pubs having to shut 2200-0600; that is just crazy! they should be closing much earlier

Sadly the whole World is realising that although total lockdown worked for a while it cannot be re-imposed at the expense of the economy.

I don't count having to commute into London every day so I can buy a coffee in Starbucks as a valid reason to do it. As it happens I do have to go in tomorrow but I'll be avoiding the rush hour and taking my bike.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Morning all, anyone heard the latest Rubbish doing the rounds - we all know a vaccine takes years and years to reach us - didn't the Flu vacc take about Ten years with lots and lots of testing before it was rolled out? apparently the New covid19 vaccine is being rushed through and there has been some rubbish reported that it has been put for peoples oppion as to if it would be ok for it to be rushed through without normal safesgards, makes you laugh what people make up - No way would this be true - takes years and years.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 4:17 am
Morning all, anyone heard the latest Rubbish doing the rounds - we all know a vaccine takes years and years to reach us - didn't the Flu vacc take about Ten years with lots and lots of testing before it was rolled out? apparently the New covid19 vaccine is being rushed through and there has been some rubbish reported that it has been put for peoples oppion as to if it would be ok for it to be rushed through without normal safesgards, makes you laugh what people make up - No way would this be true - takes years and years.
Makes you laugh what some people post as well.

Briam
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Wait, you mean the world's leading experts are trying to rush through a vaccine to help combat the spread of a hideous new virus that's killing tens of thousands of people and crippling economies across the globe?

Ha, don't be daft, why would they be doing that?

And come to that, how have they kept this a secret for so long? Thanks for alerting us all to this breaking news...

:tumbleweed:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
There's quite a bit of rubbish doing the rounds...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Despite being from across the pond this is interesting, just don't tell your hamster.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-l ... 430384e5a5
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

It is true that there is a consultation closing today that will allow the government to allow the use of unlicensed drugs. This does not mean untested however.

I think this will replace/bypass EU law.

There is also a waiver of liability should anyone become seriously ill.

The other interesting item is for non-medical professionals to be able to administer vaccines.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Question I have thought of today, with football transfers happening at the moment, shouldn't those arriving from Spain etc be self isolating on arrival and therefore not completing medicals and deals etc??
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

FGR2 wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 12:12 pm
It is true that there is a consultation closing today that will allow the government to allow the use of unlicensed drugs. This does not mean untested however.

The other interesting item is for non-medical professionals to be able to administer vaccines.
That is what I read, couln't be true - could it?

vandal

Post by vandal »

Heard on the radio today Lancashire is heading for local lockdown, beginning 22 September.

Not Blackpool though, they are exempt.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 2:11 pm
FGR2 wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 12:12 pm

That is what I read, couln't be true - could it?
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... VggEnNQQjI

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

rdchawk wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 1:17 pm
Question I have thought of today, with football transfers happening at the moment, shouldn't those arriving from Spain etc be self isolating on arrival and therefore not completing medicals and deals etc??

Football is exempt from all things COVID. This was clearly illustrated on the BBC news when Gareth Bale was seen arriving at the Tottenham training camp watched by several hundred supporters who had no concept of what social distancing or a mask was.
Last edited by tankbuster on Fri 18 Sep 2020, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

tankbuster wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 6:16 pm
rdchawk wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 1:17 pm

Football is exempt from all things COVID. This was clearly illustrated on the BBC news when Christian Bale was seen arriving at the Tottenham training camp watched by several hundred supporters who had no concept of what social distancing or a mask was.
Wait, what... Batman has signed for Spurs? The other teams may as well not bother turning up!

Or do you mean Gareth

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

If it is Christian Bale I feel sorry for any Spurs groundsmen that get in his eye line when he is practising his free kicks!!

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

starbuck wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 6:57 pm
If it is Christian Bale I feel sorry for any Spurs groundsmen that get in his eye line when he is practising his free kicks!!
Whoops, corrected
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I see Van Morison has brought out a fab new song. :mask:

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 9:14 pm
I see Van Morison has brought out a fab new song. :mask:
Having heard part of it my guess is that you brought this news to the forum with a degree of irony?
Last edited by Paulish on Sat 19 Sep 2020, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Re PMBJ's speech yesterday,
Why is it inevitable that the UK is entering a second wave because of the other countries in Europe? haven't we effectively closed our borders with those high infection states?

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Zoom wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 8:22 am
Why is it inevitable that the UK is entering a second wave because of the other countries in Europe? haven't we effectively closed our borders with those high infection states?
For it to be successful it relies on people keeping to the 14 day self isolation though. Some have, a lot haven't.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

It’s pretty scandalous the situation we are now in.

We stopped mass testing in March because we had no capacity.
In this time we have had our clown of a PM promise a “World Beating” track and trace system. The App, subsequently failed. The totally inexperienced Baroness Dido Harding, was put in charge of testing, because of who she knows rather than any relevant skills in the health sector.
Boris told us to go out and spend, Rishi threw taxpayers money at “Eat Out to Help Out” schemes to prop up restaurants and pubs. Boris then said we would be back to near normal by Christmas and then strongly encouraged everyone to go back to their offices to save city centres. A couple of weeks ago, Boris then promised a pie in the sky distraction, the “Moonshot” project to undertake ten million tests a day, even though they were then struggling to reach 300k.

Now we have increasing restrictions, the threat of a two week lockdown (of sorts) and a crisis in Testing capacity. It is like a rerun of the situation we were in six months ago. Hancock is blaming too many people seeking tests, Harding is blaming Sage, Boris blaming people not adhering to rules and Rees-Smug is burying his head in the sand and telling people to stop carping on. It is almost like Comical Ali is going to make an appearance next telling us the testing fiasco “is all lies.”

Furlough will be ending soon, a plunging back into lockdowns and restrictions will cause massive job losses. Schools will have several classes and year groups out of action isolating until they can be tested. I understand this is already happening. Why was this not foreseen? The same will be happening at businesses. I would guess there would be an inclination of those that had returned to work in London (I know a few who have dropped back into their offices) will now go back to WFH full time again.

How on Earth when the WHO said Test, Test, Test six months ago, are we still failing to do this on a massive scale? It was always predicted a second wave was coming this winter, we are in autumn with unseasonably warm weather and hitting a crisis already. Why are we again so under prepared?

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Mostly agree with all that FGR2, but on the subject of testing, the UK has carried out more tests than any other country in Europe*. Quite a surprising statistic after our disastrous start. Are other countries having the same issues as us, or is it in this country far too many people are going for tests when they shouldn't be and overwhelming the system?
Personally, I think a good number of the new cases are related to people and businesses not being responsible. As an example, a local pub to me has loud live music (inside), people standing at the bar, crowding round tables etc. It's like nothing has happened, and I'm sure it's not the only one like it. Obviously, I've stopped going there.

*Stats were on the 'Live Reporting' page on the BBC a couple of days ago.

Edit - as soon as I post this, this article appears
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/54181291
Last edited by ted633 on Sat 19 Sep 2020, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

ted633 wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 3:16 pm
or is it in this country far too many people are going for tests when they shouldn't be and overwhelming the system?
On a local FB page they were discussing going for tests for holiday travel, as I believe you need some proof that you are covid free to travel. So yes people are clogging up the system for selfish reasons. And yes is was agreed the best thing to do by the majority of replies, rather than pay for the private certificate you can get.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

You have to buy your own test to get a travel certificate. And it’s not just for holiday makers. Me and many of my colleagues in the Middle East are watching the situation closely. The other main restriction is your results have to be obtained within 48 hours of arriving at some destinations, which makes planning the timing of your test tricky. I was lucky and was in the UK for lockdown, some guys have already been overseas without seeing their families for a year.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

All interesting stuff, especially regarding the BBC Link and testing.

I have always said you can make a statistic show whatever you want it to, by how you ask the question and what you want to interpret from it.

I think some people have been so worried by Project Fear pt2, that the slightest thing and they are heading off for a test.
I have been sensible but I think the government’s mixed messaging and the Cummings eyesight drive has caused some people to lose faith, and return to as near normal as possible.

I haven’t been to a pub since January, and at the time of lockdown predicted that pubs would be last to open as social distancing would be impossible. It seemed crazy that they opened before other establishments such as gyms and bowling alleys, and the government was encouraging people with cash incentives to pack into restaurants and pubs condensed down to three days of the week.

If this wasn’t giving an indication of a relaxing of rules and a return to a new normal then it was a rather clumsy and badly thought out policy, that has given out the wrong message.

Personally, I haven’t had a holiday this year, I was hoping to get a few days in Cornwall during October, but that now looks like that will be a no-go if further restrictions come in.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

starbuck wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 9:25 am
Zoom wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 8:22 am
For it to be successful it relies on people keeping to the 14 day self isolation though. Some have, a lot haven't.
don't have the figures but I think by and large holidays from the UK to the quarantined countries have dried up since they were taken off the travel corridors list, So the new spike in UK cases is not related to Europe and for PMBJ to suggest that it's related is a lie,

UK cases have gone up because people are ignoring simple guidelines around pubs and mixing with other households. The government can order another lockdown but I think it will have no effect at preventing the spread as sadly many people in the UK have had enough of lockdown and are doing their own thing.

Supposing in 12 months there is still no vaccine and cases / hospital admissions are rising at the current rate. I suspect governments all over the world will throw in the towel and let the virus run its course rather than put their economies into meltdown.