COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Spiny Norman

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Spiny Norman »

News from Pfizer is fantastic. I hope we keep our guard up until it's widely issued.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 5:39 pm
News from Pfizer is fantastic. I hope we keep our guard up until it's widely issued.
absolutely, if we have to have to endure restrictions for a few more months until the vaccine(s) come onstream

"i'd buy that for a dollar!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

According to JCVI, the following groups will be considered first:

Older adults’ resident in a care home and care home workers
All those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers
All those 75 years of age and over
All those 70 years of age and over
All those 65 years of age and over
High-risk adults under 65 years of age
Moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
All those 60 years of age and over
All those 55 years of age and over
All those 50 years of age and over
Rest of the population (priority to be determined).
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/he ... munisation
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

With this Brand New vaccine - I still think they should be very careful and do far more testing first to see what the long term side affects might be, It too fast and too soon to roll out a vaccine thats just had a few months testing on it - thats not long enough in my eyes.

roger

Post by roger »

Every day over 5000 Covid deaths occur around the world. How many deaths are you willing to tolerate while you wait for long-term safety data, in order to overcome your fear of the vaccine?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

As JVT said yesterday, people have been wary of vaccines since the first one. We have the world leading scrutiny organisation in the UK and if they are happy, I am happy.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:29 pm
With this Brand New vaccine - I still think they should be very careful and do far more testing first to see what the long term side affects might be, It too fast and too soon to roll out a vaccine thats just had a few months testing on it - thats not long enough in my eyes.
If you are worried about the vaccine,don`t have one,SIMPLES :slight_smile:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

roger wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 9:00 am
Every day over 5000 Covid deaths occur around the world. How many deaths are you willing to tolerate while you wait for long-term safety data, in order to overcome your fear of the vaccine?
As bad as that figure is that shouldn't be the driver in this. Because of the enormity of the situation and the mass take up there will be then I would argue this requires the utmost in testing and safety

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:29 pm
It too fast and too soon to roll out a vaccine thats just had a few months testing on it - thats not long enough in my eyes.
They'll probably be using science to determine whether or not it is safe rather than just someone's gut feeling...

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

so applying back of an envelope calculations based on Pfizer's (and now Russia's) stats,

the vaccine protects 90% of those exposed from infection

leaving 5 million cases worldwide and 120,000 deaths

of those 5 million cases 95-99% are mild or asymptomatic so between 50-250k serious cases.

Can't really see us going straight back to Business as Usual once the vaccine(s) are rolled out to all

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

considering our Gov's track record on all things Covid, the delivery of the vacine (when ready) will be anything but straight forward.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 12:52 pm
considering our Gov's track record on all things Covid, the delivery of the vacine (when ready) will be anything but straight forward.
just hope it doesn't all go out of temperature whilst waiting to come into Kent :unamused:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Zoom wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 12:35 pm
so applying back of an envelope calculations based on Pfizer's (and now Russia's) stats,

of those 5 million cases 95-99% are mild or asymptomatic so between 50-250k serious cases.

Can't really see us going straight back to Business as Usual once the vaccine(s) are rolled out to all
it won't be straight back to business, but I suspect there will be a calculated risk based on the majority of those deaths being from the elderly or with health issues.
they'll ensure there is enough vaccine for those at most risk, the rest of us of school and working age with no known health issues will be left to contract the virus and suffer mostly mild symptoms knowing the protection is there for those with more severe cases

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Zoom wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 12:35 pm

Nowhere near as simple as that I'm afraid. If infections get reduced by 90%, then the virus is going to have much less opportunity to spread, giving people whose vaccine isn't as effective (the 10%) a far lower chance to catch it in the first place.

Also, influenza kills between 290k and 650k a year (WHO figures) and life carries on normally through that.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Will be intersting to see what the long term might be with those who have had the vaccine as no one knows what the vaccine consists of, also will it do away with some peoples need to take the Flu vaccines.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"will it do away with some peoples need to take the Flu vaccines" For goodness sake

"no one knows what the vaccine consists of" Yeah, it's just some random stuff in a test tube that people threw together whilst blindfolded.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 4:47 pm
Will be intersting to see what the long term might be with those who have had the vaccine as no one knows what the vaccine consists of, also will it do away with some peoples need to take the Flu vaccines.
This is pure comedy,you could not make it up,if it was written for a TV comedy,it would be rejected,as not true to life. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 4:56 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 4:47 pm
This is pure comedy,you could not make it up,if it was written for a TV comedy,it would be rejected,as not true to life. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ok - so whats inside the new covid19 vaccine, you obviously know, to think that any concern over the long term safety of it being of no concern or unnecessary?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Just because forum members don't know what's in the vaccine (you want Pfizer to publish the contents?!) does not mean that "no one knows" which was your statement.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 5:13 pm
Just because forum members don't know what's in the vaccine (you want Pfizer to publish the contents?!) does not mean that "no one knows" which was your statement.
Let me give you an example - I have a severe reaction to a very common type of anti - biotic its on my medical records, if I was given this by a medical person who hadn't checked my records it would be curtains for me , thats why I mentioned this virus if the GP's or medical people just inject this vaccine for covid what if a similar situation happened to my own anti - biotic situation - how would they be able to safeguard that?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

what do you think Pfizer have been doing for the last 6 months? playing tidlywinks? This is part of the testing process.

Really really clever people all over the planet have invested millions of hours in striving to come up with a vaccine and it looks as though there is some success. We should be forever grateful that such clever people exist and do our best to create more clever people in future and give them every support we can. Rather than " no one knows whats it it", "will it also protect me from flu?" etc etc

If you're that worried, don't take it. It's your choice. One more dose for someone else.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 5:29 pm
what do you think Pfizer have been doing for the last 6 months? playing tidlywinks? This is part of the testing process.
I think I made a valid point, and frankly if it reaches a point next year where the doctors call everyone in for a jab, I would have to ask my GP some questions first.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I'm sure they will look forward to those questions.

roger

Post by roger »

I would rather that you asked your GP those questions, rather than asking us.