COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Zoom

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Zoom »

ted633 wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 4:26 pm
Zoom wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 12:35 pm
so applying back of an envelope calculations based on Pfizer's (and now Russia's) stats,

the vaccine protects 90% of those exposed from infection

leaving 5 million cases worldwide and 120,000 deaths

of those 5 million cases 95-99% are mild or asymptomatic so between 50-250k serious cases.

Can't really see us going straight back to Business as Usual once the vaccine(s) are rolled out to all
Nowhere near as simple as that I'm afraid. If infections get reduced by 90%, then the virus is going to have much less opportunity to spread, giving people whose vaccine isn't as effective (the 10%) a far lower chance to catch it in the first place.

Also, influenza kills between 290k and 650k a year (WHO figures) and life carries on normally through that.
Yes I know I was just tempering the newspaper headlines many saying that it will all be over by Spring. They have TBH had months of publishing bad news so now they are trying to publish happy news.

A successful vaccine(s) is excellent news and indeed not even that ground breaking because humans have been doing it for a couple of 100 years

But this is a devastating new virus that we still know little about and it's going to take a while to bring it under control. On a positive side we've already done a lot towards this through simple hygiene / containment measures.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Tim Martin obviously has an agenda here but he's right.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54900308

I was dragged around a supposed garden yesterday by SWIMBO and DWMBO (think about it) and nothing there could be classed as essential. Tons of Christmas tat (mostly single use plastic), expensive knitwear and shoes, "artisan" beer, gin, bread and cheese, just a few indoor plants and a few roses and the stands getting ready for the imported Christmas trees. The Range is the same - what's "essential?".

The Welsh government got it right, with the possible exception of permission to replace children's clothing or some broken electrical items.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Noting that XX900 has moved to Tatenhill led to RAF Tatenhill (on wiki) which led to RAF Fauld (munition explosion) which led to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... death_toll
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 5:36 pm
pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 5:29 pm
what do you think Pfizer have been doing for the last 6 months? playing tidlywinks? This is part of the testing process.
I think I made a valid point, and frankly if it reaches a point next year where the doctors call everyone in for a jab, I would have to ask my GP some questions first.
the vaccine won't be made up of some magical new pixie elixer, it will be made up of existing elements that have already been tested so its impacts on other drugs and conditions will be largely understood. the other unknowns have been and are being tested.
every vaccine carries a risk to some people, if you don't want it then that will be your choice.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 10:08 am
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 11:29 pm
With this Brand New vaccine - I still think they should be very careful and do far more testing first to see what the long term side affects might be, It too fast and too soon to roll out a vaccine thats just had a few months testing on it - thats not long enough in my eyes.
If you are worried about the vaccine,don`t have one,SIMPLES :slight_smile:
As I said earlier.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 10:14 am
Noting that XX900 has moved to Tatenhill led to RAF Tatenhill (on wiki) which led to RAF Fauld (munition explosion) which led to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... death_toll
Are you making a new set of Top Trumps, Iain?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I have a dreaded feeling that the "anti vaxers" will be the next job lot to have their spot in the limelight. I wonder if the Gov has any tactics against this type of nuttery. I'm not sure what you can do.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pbeardmore wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 11:38 am
I have a dreaded feeling that the "anti vaxers" will be the next job lot to have their spot in the limelight. I wonder if the Gov has any tactics against this type of nuttery. I'm not sure what you can do.
They live amongst us.

Covid: Totnes concerns reflect UK-wide rise in conspiracy theories

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-theories

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 12:25 pm
pbeardmore wrote:
Wed 11 Nov 2020, 11:38 am
They live amongst us.

Covid: Totnes concerns reflect UK-wide rise in conspiracy theories

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-theories
I see this as just Darwin desperately trying to help the human race by reasserting his principles in relation to it. The trouble is the most vulnerable to the virus are in the wrong section of society: the post-breeding age group....

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

How can anyone believe a virus can be transmitted by 5g? I simply don't get what they think happens.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

They probably also believe the Earth is flat,and Trump won the US Presidential Election

CJS

Post by CJS »

Gt5500 wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 11:14 am
How can anyone believe a virus can be transmitted by 5g? I simply don't get what they think happens.
They don't think, they're not capable of it.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Gt5500 wrote:
because they simply don't or chose not to understand how viruses (or 5g for that matter) work.
i also think some conspiracy theories are also easier to justify then just dumb luck.
for example, if a child is diagnosed with autism, some parents (either through social issues or conditioning) need a reason as to why it happened to their child. its easier to believe a youtuber with graphs and links about a jab than it is to accept that "Kris Kris Tofferson!" just happens.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

As I've probably mentioned a few times on here (and other places) it all goes back to the Moon Landings. If you can think they didn't take place, despite the overwhelming amount of evidence (personal testimonies, films, photographs, eye witnesses, sheer number of people involved, tracking from opposing nations in a Cold War, physical evidence brought back, etc etc) then you can not believe in anything.

With social media and the need for simplicity in a complex world, the ability to get absolute codswallop believed by normal people is made much easier.

The ironic laugh is that there are actual real conspiracies afoot which get left behind in the Ickeean fantasties.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 2:29 pm
With social media and the need for simplicity in a complex world, the ability to get absolute codswallop believed by normal people is made much easier.
Indeed Spiny. It's essentially removed the need for thinking of any kind. When I was at Uni 20 years ago - which let's be honest isn't really that long, I graduated in 2000 - these things didn't exist: Facebook, Twitter, Insta, hashtags, digital radio (not really), smartphones and all sorts of other stuff.

You had to go to a special room just to send an email for goodness' sake.

What that meant was that we had conversations about stuff. I mean real, actual ones where you'd listen to both sides and have a good old chat about it.

I know that still happens, but there is also the opportunity to hide behind your social media account and basically say anything you want.

It's one of the things about the internet I both love and hate - everything is out there if you want to find it, but everything is out there if you want to find it. Best thing you can do with these crackpots (the 5g / moon landing / flat Earth ones I mean) is ignore them and don't let their posts become clickbait.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Gt5500 wrote:

seems far fetched how radiation from 5G masts can hurt people, but perhaps because a small amount of people might believe stories like this -

An international study shared on the National Institute of Health website found that 5G technology is absorbed by skin cells and can alter DNA in a way that actually produces coronaviruses within the human body.

from this website - https://www.newswars.com/nih-admits-5g- ... man-cells/

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 12:27 pm
They probably also believe the Earth is flat,and Trump won the US Presidential Election
What, the Earth isn't Flat. :scream_cat:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 4:41 pm
RAF4EVER wrote:
You have proved my point,Thank You. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

On first impressions you could easily think the Earth was flat. Then the evidence piles up and it's impossible to still believe this, unless you're obtuse in the brain matter or wilfully showing your independence of thought. And showing you're obtuse in the brain.

What I find interesting is you can have one of those conversations that CJS mentions, with a perfectly normal, rational person. And then they will drop in the chat something that is completely whacko. I had one recently with a colleauge about 9-11 and we agreed it wasn't done by the USA or the Illuminati or anything. Then they said, yeah but the Pentagon wasn't hit by an airliner. Its trajectory was too flat. It was a cruise missile. An American one.

We moved on quickly.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Gt5500 wrote:
The irony of course is that when they spread their ridiculous theories on Social Media, there's a fair chance they are using 5g to do it.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 5:20 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 4:41 pm
RAF4EVER wrote:
You have proved my point,Thank You. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
I was being sarcastic at such a stupid comment - but no bother.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

vandal wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 5:57 pm
Gt5500 wrote:
The irony of course is that when they spread their ridiculous theories on Social Media, there's a fair chance they are using 5g to do it.
Always a circular argument - the person who is knocking 5G screams at slow laptop "Why can't this laptop work faster"

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 4:36 pm
Gt5500 wrote:

seems far fetched how radiation from 5G masts can hurt people, but perhaps because a small amount of people might believe stories like this -

An international study shared on the National Institute of Health website found that 5G technology is absorbed by skin cells and can alter DNA in a way that actually produces coronaviruses within the human body.

Now this is why it's good to quote sources, newswars.com comes from the interesting mind of Alex Jones and given his provable track record of lies and misinformation anything on that site or indeed the site itself needs a giant red flag alongside it. In addition the study that it references has since been pulled from the NIH website on the grounds of allegations of substantial manipulation of the peer review process.

Of course that same small amount of people you reference will see that retraction as proof of the deep state at work so perhaps better not to rebroadcast anything from newswars in the first place?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 4:36 pm
That “source” is infowars, mate. You can chuck that source straight in the bin, burn said bin, and then chuck the remains in a skip.

... and then burn the skip.

Don’t take everything on the internet as cast-iron. If you dig hard enough, you can find arguments for anything.

CJS

Post by CJS »

You don't even have to dig that far usually.

I see the restrictions in place in NI are due to be extended by a week.

With the highest number of daily confirmed cases yesterday, I wonder how long it might be before we get a sense at to whether or not this lockdown is having an effect. Isn't it meant to be at least three weeks or something?