COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
pbeardmore

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by pbeardmore »

Some people (even without the religious bit) seem to hold Christmas is sacred when, in truth, its just a set of pretty meaningless activities that can be done at other times but "the market" pursuades us that its all essential (see all of the adverts of people have the best Christmas ever) by any measure, the best Christmas present we could all have would be a country that is broadly Covid free and I, for one, can wait for that. But I fear that the gov will cave in, we will open up and ...well, it's all too predictable.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

vandal

Post by vandal »

pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 5:56 pm
Some people (even without the religious bit) seem to hold Christmas is sacred when, in truth, its just a set of pretty meaningless activities that can be done at other times but "the market" pursuades us that its all essential (see all of the adverts of people have the best Christmas ever) by any measure, the best Christmas present we could all have would be a country that is broadly Covid free and I, for one, can wait for that. But I fear that the gov will cave in, we will open up and ...well, it's all too predictable.
Just been for a walk around some nearby streets & there are at least 12 houses with full blown Christmas Lights up & switched on.

Yep, it's one thing to maybe try to cheer the neighbours up by way of exterior illuminations, I can appreciate that & am grateful for it, & judging by what I'd seen just on two little Cul-De-Sac's I get the impression that there are those wholly intent on celebrating Christmas, come what may.

If the Government do 'Cave in & we open up' - it's a bit late to be organising Christmas Parties - most Towns & Cities have already cancelled theirs anyway, the Fireworks, Charity Santa Runs, Torchlight Processions have all been binned. I think the focus will be more on Families wanting to see each other as opposed to cramming into a Town Centre with thousands of strangers.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 5:56 pm
Some people (even without the religious bit) seem to hold Christmas is sacred when, in truth, its just a set of pretty meaningless activities...
Yeh, wouldn't it be nice to have a Christmas without all the religious guff that comes along with it. :smiling_imp:

I was in a store today and it took a while to sink in, but they were playing xmas songs on the tannoy. That was depressing to hear.

I'm like you and would love to have this xmas covid free, but I fear for another spike, post the new year.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Christmas is too entrenched in everyone’s calendars, religious or not, to simply forget about it with little more than a month (!) to go.

Speaking to a client recently who owns a restaurant about furlough and the like, and he said anecdotally that his restaurant/venue business follows the well-known model where they actually make either a small loss, or just about break even year-round, and then they make the majority of their annual profit over the festive period.

It must be such an awful situation for those in the entertainment industry.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Talking with a friend today he used to work in Labs to do with virus studies - he told me the covid virus has Not been captured and can not be tested in a Lab as it needs a living host to survive and does not survive in a petri dish inviroment.
So how are the Labs testing the virus structure when no living virus exsist's within Labs?

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm
Christmas is too entrenched in everyone’s calendars, religious or not, to simply forget about it with little more than a month (!) to go.

Speaking to a client recently who owns a restaurant about furlough and the like, and he said anecdotally that his restaurant/venue business follows the well-known model where they actually make either a small loss, or just about break even year-round, and then they make the majority of their annual profit over the festive period.

Imagine saying to Jesus - "we gonna postpone your birthday Dude"

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

test for dead virus?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

As for policy, well, it’s the usual stall and bluster.

On a governmental level, it never feels like they are thinking ahead. They aren’t strategising.

Like, Drakeford’s Welsh government has got plenty wrong, but they’ve been pretty honest that, without a decent test and trace system which simply isn’t here, we’re headed for boom and bust firebreak lockdowns and reopening. The crippling worst of both worlds. And they made clear that they anticipate another firebreak lockdown in February-time.

I don’t think I’ve heard a peep from Johnson or his government. They’ve got Christmas on their mind. That’s the goal. They haven’t even considered what happens in January.

Christ, what a miserable month that will be. A government of no-hopers suddenly forced again to confront reality of both their lack of competence re COVID, and their lack of competence re Brexit in real time.

Once again, it’s all so predictable.

Johnson will “save Christmas”, except it won’t be “saved” but rather him relaxing restrictions arbitrarily, and probably against scientific advice.

The douche will be gone by May anyway.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 8:53 pm
Tommy wrote:

Imagine saying to Jesus - "we gonna postpone your birthday Dude"
I dare say that’s happened to the majority of living people already this year, anyway.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 8:51 pm
Talking with a friend today he used to work in Labs to do with virus studies - he told me the covid virus has Not been captured and can not be tested in a Lab as it needs a living host to survive and does not survive in a petri dish inviroment.
So how are the Labs testing the virus structure when no living virus exsist's within Labs?
I note your use of used to work in labs. Maybe he just doesn't keep up to date with his previous employment industry:

A blog from the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office about working on live covid.https://blogs.fcdo.gov.uk/carolemundell ... -different
The first lab to isolate and study the virus, known provisionally as 2019-nCoV, was at the epicentre of the outbreak: in Wuhan, China. A team at the Wuhan Institute of Virology led by virologist Zheng-Li Shi isolated the virus from a 49-year-old woman, who developed symptoms on 23 December 2019 before becoming critically ill. Shi’s team found1 that the virus can kill cultured human cells and that it enters them through the same molecular receptor as another coronavirus: the one that causes SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome).

A lab in Australia announced on 28 January that it had obtained virus samples from an infected person who had returned from China. The team was preparing to share the samples with other scientists. Labs in France, Germany and Hong Kong are also isolating and preparing to share virus samples they obtained from local patients, says Bart Haagmans, a virologist at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. “Probably next week we will get isolates from one of the different labs,” he says.
source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00262-7

And they are results on the first page of a google search.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Seriously, mate. This is exhausting. You’re asking questions that Google can answer.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Seriously, mate. This is exhausting. You’re asking questions that Google can answer.
Google is not the be all of all knowledge though Tommy.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Ewart wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 8:57 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
I note your use of used to work in labs. Maybe he just doesn't keep up to date with his previous employment industry:

A blog from the Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office about working on live covid.https://blogs.fcdo.gov.uk/carolemundell ... -different
The first lab to isolate and study the virus, known provisionally as 2019-nCoV, was at the epicentre of the outbreak: in Wuhan, China. A team at the Wuhan Institute of Virology led by virologist Zheng-Li Shi isolated the virus from a 49-year-old woman, who developed symptoms on 23 December 2019 before becoming critically ill. Shi’s team found1 that the virus can kill cultured human cells and that it enters them through the same molecular receptor as another coronavirus: the one that causes SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome).

A lab in Australia announced on 28 January that it had obtained virus samples from an infected person who had returned from China. The team was preparing to share the samples with other scientists. Labs in France, Germany and Hong Kong are also isolating and preparing to share virus samples they obtained from local patients, says Bart Haagmans, a virologist at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. “Probably next week we will get isolates from one of the different labs,” he says.
source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00262-7

And they are results on the first page of a google search.

Your completely glazing over the what I was saying - the virus samples can Not be passed on from different labs and stored - as they need a live host eg Human to survive, therefore no live virus can be stored and tested in the labs.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 9:23 pm

Your completely glazing over the what I was saying - the virus samples can Not be passed on from different labs and stored - as they need a live host eg Human to survive, therefore no live virus can be stored and tested in the labs.
And science is saying your wrong...

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Ewart wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 9:25 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 9:23 pm

And science is saying your wrong...
Even in school all those years ago my biology teacher told us virus's need a live host with the same make-up as the original destinator for the virus to latch onto and live - and correct me if I'm wrong - but I doubt they are cultivating the virus within other living things in the Labs - Mice, Rats etc.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Tommy wrote:

It’s not just the hospitality and entertainment industry. Many small high street shops do 60-70% of their trade in November and December. Lockdown is killing them.
Ken

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 9:18 pm
Tommy wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
no but it is usually a good starting point to check before you post "my friend said" about science. it's fine to quote your source, but at least check what he's telling you first

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 10:40 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 9:18 pm
Tommy wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
no but it is usually a good starting point to check before you post "my friend said" about science. it's fine to quote your source, but at least check what he's telling you first
Do i really have to post various different links that show you can Not keep a virus alive inside a lab or any other artificial enviroment without it being with in a living host - it dies off after so much time and can not sustain life. It can not therfore be jut popped in a jar kept in a freezing unit for later use and testing - science just does not work that way.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

A bit of reading on lab practice for Covid samples from the USA: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/faqs.html

& something similar from the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... boratories
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

NAM Updater wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 11:17 pm
A bit of reading on lab practice for Covid samples from the USA: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/faqs.html

& something similar from the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... boratories
Thank you for those links - so the labs are working on the basis of New samples being brought In and not specifically on samples that have been stored in the labs for weeks or months? I thought it would have to be something like that as virus's do not have a very long shelf life (so to speak) and would need a host to keep them alive for further testing.

roger

Post by roger »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 11:30 pm
NAM Updater wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 11:17 pm

Thank you for those links - so the labs are working on the basis of New samples being brought In and not specifically on samples that have been stored in the labs for weeks or months? I thought it would have to be something like that as virus's do not have a very long shelf life (so to speak) and would need a host to keep them alive for further testing.
The virus needs a host cell in order to replicate. Outside of a host cell the individual particle can survive for several days in the right conditions. And as a technicality, having no DNA they are not really living organisms.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

roger wrote:
Wed 18 Nov 2020, 12:07 am
The virus needs a host cell in order to replicate. Outside of a host cell the individual particle can survive for several days in the right conditions. And as a technicality, having no DNA they are not really living organisms.
[/quote]

I'm being deliberately obtuse here but maybe we should say it's life in a different way to what we as a carbon based unit understand.

(totally ruining my argument here but I think of the Horta in "Devil in the Dark {Star Trek} which was a silicon based life form - would that have DNA?)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

roger

Post by roger »

You could be on to something. That old game show opener - animal, vegetable or mineral - doesn't seem to apply to viruses, so maybe they're the aliens around here!

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

It's most likely that the Labs will be using tissue culture techniques to provide cell lines to act as host cultures for the virus; it's also my understanding (HNC Applied Biology - Pharmacology 1981) that viable virus can be deep frozen in -80 conditions and still be reactivated.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 18 Nov 2020, 7:56 am
roger wrote:
Wed 18 Nov 2020, 12:07 am
I'm being deliberately obtuse here but maybe we should say it's life in a different way to what we as a carbon based unit understand.

(totally ruining my argument here but I think of the Horta in "Devil in the Dark {Star Trek} which was a silicon based life form - would that have DNA?)
[/quote]
To quote Star Trek: Its Life Jim but not as we know it. :grin: :grin: