XH135 Canberra PR9 to move?

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Kip Casper

XH135 Canberra PR9 to move?

Post by Kip Casper »

A group is trying to relocate the aircraft from Kemble;

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Navman239/pos ... l&mt_nav=0
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

AndrewW

Re: XH135 Canberra PR9 to move?

Post by AndrewW »

From the linked page, "The disposal of XH135 at Kemble is a given, it cannot be kept at Kemble. It must go no later than June 2022"

This is disappointing - I was hoping Kemble might evolve into a broader collection of historic aircraft, in some way a successor to Bruntingthorpe.

Does it raise (longer term) concerns for other aircraft currently at Kemble ?

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

AndrewW wrote:
Sun 06 Feb 2022, 12:02 pm
From the linked page, "The disposal of XH135 at Kemble is a given, it cannot be kept at Kemble. It must go no later than June 2022"

This is disappointing - I was hoping Kemble might evolve into a broader collection of historic aircraft, in some way a successor to Bruntingthorpe.

Does it raise (longer term) concerns for other aircraft currently at Kemble ?
As the person responsible for the sale of XH135, there are plans for that but its the only airframe that needs to be disposed of at the owners request - it does not put in jeopardy any other the other classic jets onsite, the Buccaneer & Phantom groups are established onsite, the silver Canberra '134' will be put on display to the public close to where our Boeing 747 Negus is (thats located on a pad by the Control Tower), and Hunter / Gnat on display are all secure and fine, so just wanted to nip this thread in the bud.

Mike

Post by Mike »

What happened to the reported plan to send one of the PR9s to India?

f-4

Post by f-4 »

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/canberra-xh135-rescue

A worthy cause, give it your support.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

IIRC way back in the days of MIDAIR before Covid came along, the Sister aircraft XH134 was put up for the Bonhams Auction at Goodwood when it was 'close' to flying condition, along with one of the silver Hunters. The Hunter T7 XL600 reached a hammer-price/+premium of around £15,000 & went to Canada? The Canberra PR9 XH134 (G-OMHD) failed to make 'Reserve' with bids stalling at around £13K for the World's only flyable Canberra PR9(there's a flying Canberra in Australia!) with the majority of servicing/certification completed! Unbelievable !! :open_mouth: :slight_frown: Clearly, in those days the accumulating airport charges to be recovered would've been much less than today.
Edit: Found the Link for 2016! :grinning:
XH134 https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23589/lot/99/
XL600 https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23589/lot/100/
Following the Bruntingthorpe body-blow ( & now Coventry )one is well accustomed to the fantastic logistical costs of moving any size of aircraft by road from one location to another. I have little knowledge of the current situation of XH134 but there are plans to possibly move it into the vicinity of the AV-8 Cafe as another visitor attraction. I personally hope that Kemble becomes the next UK 'living' Jet-Centre & this aircraft survives to run here again. Back on topic, I applaud the efforts to save XH135 but cannot but feel that locating it to West Raynham is merely the new owner's personal ( & worthy) aspiration that will merely delay the aircraft's inevitable demise? I'd loved to be proved wrong, but I have this vision of a moss covered jet in some leafy glade that nobody visits or tends to after the current 'ex RAF Navigator' becomes unable to care for it through health or finance. Sorry for the doomed opinion, but I've been down this road before!

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Stagger2 wrote:
Wed 09 Feb 2022, 1:05 pm
IIRC way back in the days of MIDAIR before Covid came along, the Sister aircraft XH134 was put up for the Bonhams Auction at Goodwood when it was 'close' to flying condition, along with one of the silver Hunters. The Hunter T7 XL600 reached a hammer-price/+premium of around £15,000 & went to Canada? The Canberra PR9 XH134 (G-OMHD) failed to make 'Reserve' with bids stalling at around £13K for the World's only flyable Canberra PR9(there's a flying Canberra in Australia!) with the majority of servicing/certification completed! Unbelievable !!
XH134 flew in a 3-ship formation display at Goodwood Revival, in Sept 2014, along with silver finished Hunter T.7's, XL573 & XL577.

It was marvellous to see and hear a PR.9 in the air again. Sadly, it was the one and only time I saw it fly.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

GeeRam wrote:
Wed 09 Feb 2022, 7:15 pm
Stagger2 wrote:
Wed 09 Feb 2022, 1:05 pm
IIRC way back in the days of MIDAIR before Covid came along, the Sister aircraft XH134 was put up for the Bonhams Auction at Goodwood when it was 'close' to flying condition, along with one of the silver Hunters. The Hunter T7 XL600 reached a hammer-price/+premium of around £15,000 & went to Canada? The Canberra PR9 XH134 (G-OMHD) failed to make 'Reserve' with bids stalling at around £13K for the World's only flyable Canberra PR9(there's a flying Canberra in Australia!) with the majority of servicing/certification completed! Unbelievable !!
XH134 flew in a 3-ship formation display at Goodwood Revival, in Sept 2014, along with silver finished Hunter T.7's, XL573 & XL577.

It was marvellous to see and hear a PR.9 in the air again. Sadly, it was the one and only time I saw it fly.
Indeed.

Image2014_09_13_Goodwood (11)_Hunters_and_Canberra by John Dixon, on Flickr

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

The last time I saw the Canberra display I was above her in an MD500 at Sywell Airshow - a perk of being one of the organisers - will never forget that!

TT

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

As was always inevitable, Thunder & Lightnings reports XH135 was reduced to a cockpit section last month (https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.u ... hp?id=1276).

Five PR9 Canberras now remain in the UK (Kemble, Marham, Wyton, Cosford, Long Kesh)

The only other non-'Goldfish Bowl' survivor besides these five in the UK is Newark's very smart WV787.