COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Teaboy

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Teaboy »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 4:11 pm
Their son will be 18 in a few days and will have a discreet party for about 20. Nothing what so ever has happened there, no cases at all. That is one of the issues because Covid is actually so rare millions of us are not concerned about it at all. We are far more likely to die of cancer than Covid.
They didn't get the virus because everyone else was following the guidelines and so their breaches were uneventful. Still, there are words for people who behave like that in a pandemic for which I would almost certainly receive a ban if I said them here. But make no mistake about, that is exactly what they are.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Quite a reasonable question.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

I honestly think the backlash to whatever is announced today is going to be huge, people had until the back end of last week planned for a full reopening of businesses and social contact, vast amounts of money and hope invested on a return to normal life a week today now looks to be down the drain.

Boris has massively underestimated public feeling and his silly slogan doing the rounds of "one last heave" sounds as ridiculous as it can get. I fear that people may well now think stuff his rule of six and other things like limiting close contact etc and simply refuse to comply any longer. Fearing that in four weeks time it will be another push back of the final easing into August etc etc.

People gave up Spring and early summer last year, we then from September onwards gave up increasing amount of our limited freedom via the tier and local lockdown system. We were then told lets lockdown in November to "save" Christmas, we complied, and then went into a strict tier system in December only for many to have Christmas plans torn up a few days before due to tier 4, and everyone else was limited to a single day of limited family contact not the 5 days of near normality we all gave up so much for.

From Boxing day onwards no mixing at all apart from support bubbles, the usual Boxing day and New Year celebrations totally different but people complied and accepted it was for the greater good.

First week of 2021 back into full national lockdown, Boris saying this is it now guys we have the vaccines lets just make one last big effort to get through this, then comes March and restrictions start to ease slowly, people stick with it and are told time and time and time again June 21st is a go, nothing in the data to worry anyone, freedom day is coming, and yet again a few days before the big day and its ripped from us again.

You cant blame anyone for the emergence of variants, we all know it happens and had we encountered a variant the vaccines cant touch then I think people would be more understanding when today the one month more of restrictions is announced, but the vaccines are working, the border with India stayed open when it was clear just how serious the outbreak in the country was, and tonight the P.M will stand in front of the nation and tell us all its another month before lockdown ends. He wants to thank himself lucky its a remote press conference with no risk of the public getting inside as I feel someone or more than one person would tell him just what he can do with his roadmap and changes.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Side note but a 70% reduction of double-jabbed people of symptomatic transmissibility is bloody outstanding news.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Boris Johnson really is the Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan of politics

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 6:12 pm
Side note but a 70% reduction of double-jabbed people of symptomatic transmissibility is bloody outstanding news.
Isn't this immediately counter-acted by the 60% increased transmissibility of the variant? So the net result is only a -10% reduction? I'm probably missing something there. But similarly if a jab reduces the risk of hospitalisation by 50% but a variant doubles the risk of hospitalisation..... ?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

so the extension is going to be 4 weeks, but government reserves the right to bring that date forward, but we cant rule out an extension.....

well thats good to know

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The fact Boris can't get his dates right (He said June 29th then 19th?) just shows how out of his depth the buffoon is.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 6:25 pm
The fact Boris can't get his dates right (He said June 29th then 19th?) just shows how out of his depth the buffoon is.
enough of your boris bashing! he is doing his absolute best.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I think they should roll back to sort of pre May 17th; International travel is not possible anyway and it's summer so people can sit / meet outside.

hang on doesn't that involve a minor thing, Parliament?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Teaboy wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 6:26 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
And that is the worry.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I don't doubt he is doing his best. I don't see him in a Trump I don't give a damn type.

He's just not very good at what he is doing, even if it is his best.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Teaboy wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 6:26 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
Then if he is a man of integrity he must step down. Oh.....

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The sad fact is that Boris' best, as has been proved in every political position he has ever held, is woefully short of the standard required.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:19 pm
The sad fact is that Boris' best, as has been proved in every political position he has ever held, is woefully short of the standard required.
we'll see about that, standards are being lowered everyday with this government!

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Anyone remember the traffic light system from sometime last year perhaps around this sort of time?
We currently meet the criteria for the alert level that requires full stay at home lockdown.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Current level is 3, meaning virus is in general circulation. For now there is no need to move up to the next level in my own personal opinion.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

purple_95 wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:51 pm
Current level is 3, meaning virus is in general circulation. For now there is no need to move up to the next level in my own personal opinion.
negative, R is above 1, we have exponential growth. Alert level is/should be 4. Nonsense really, even level 4 is not enough to stop a transition into level 5 eventually so should just go straight to level 5 and nip it in the bud, though the definition of level 5 means we cannot go to level 5 until it is already too late (risk of healthcare being overwhelmed).

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Teaboy wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:41 pm
Anyone remember the traffic light system from sometime last year perhaps around this sort of time?
We currently meet the criteria for the alert level that requires full stay at home lockdown.
Here in Edinburgh our rate of infection is over the threshold for Level 4, which means only essential shops would be open and hospitality venues would be closed.

But pubs, restaurants, etc are all open and serving indoors.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 10:03 pm
Teaboy wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:41 pm
Here in Edinburgh our rate of infection is over the threshold for Level 4, which means only essential shops would be open and hospitality venues would be closed.

But pubs, restaurants, etc are all open and serving indoors.
Well it can only go one of 2 ways now. Either the vaccines save us or the last 14 months have been a complete waste of time, money and effort.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Here in The Netherlands:
RIVM reports 899 coronavirus cases, lowest figure since September
The public health agency RIVM said 899 more people had tested positive for the virus, 167 fewer than on Sunday and 37.6% below last Monday’s figure. In the last seven days confirmed cases have come down by 38.1% and the percentage of positive tests has fallen to 5.6%, the lowest proportion since mid-September. The number of Covid-19 patients in hospital rose slightly for the second day in a row to 681, five more than on Sunday, while 263 people are being treated in intensive care, a decline of two. Patient numbers tend to stall or increase at the weekend because fewer people are discharged from hospital, but the strong downward trend in infections is expected to filter through to the wards in the coming weeks. Ministers are considering bringing forward the next step in relaxing the pandemic restrictions by four days to June 26 in response to the positive trend, NOS reported on Monday. In the last seven days an average of 41 coronavirus patients a day were admitted to hospital, just above the government’s ‘trigger level’ of 40, while seven people were taken into intensive care, below the trigger level of 10. Another three deaths were confirmed on Monday, while the average number of reported deaths per day has fallen since last week from eight to five. The RIVM’s dashboard figure states that 17,714 people have died from contracting coronavirus since March 2020, but the statistics agency CBS has calculated on the basis of death certificates that the virus was responsible for 27,000 deaths in the first 12 months of the pandemic.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Wow, we have had more new cases than the USA - 2 days in a row.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Teaboy wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 10:51 pm
Wow, we have had more new cases than the USA - 2 days in a row.
Wow. If the USA did zero tests tomorrow they would have zero new cases tomorrow.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

People only hear what they want to hear. To be fair to Boris he always said the 21st June wasn’t a fixed date. Yet people and the media declared it “freedom day” and that he lied about it now it’s moved.

Infection rates in the un/not completely vaccinated are rising rapidly as are hospitalisations. Yes, people aren’t dying but that doesn’t stop hospitals getting overwhelmed in a few weeks time again which the trend shows is a very real possibility.

I’m going to take Wembley as an example here… they had a rule for the England game the other night… unless you were eating or drinking your mask should remain on in your seat. The TV footage very clearly showed that was ignored by the fans. It’s the ignoring of these “light” rules by those now at risk which is causing the spike. It’s the message it sends - if it’s ok for them, it’s ok for us.

An extension of current restrictions sadly, in my opinion, isn’t going to help for that very reason. Because the people themselves cannot be trusted to comply any longer.

I would personally prefer a rollback to pre-17th May (or earlier) measures until the entire adult population is double jabbed, then we might be at a stage where we can live with it. The chain of infection needs to be broken, stage 3 measures clearly aren’t doing that.

Yes Boris is to blame for the Delta variant arriving in the UK in such levels that it could become an issue. He is also completely and utterly out of his depth and should step aside. You don’t get to keep your job if you’re "Kris Kris Tofferson!" at it just because “he’s doing his best”

However a good chunk of British people I think are now just as much to blame for its spread through complacency and fatigue.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

From 11th February.

“Captain hindsight” indeed. I don’t want to make it too political, I don’t know whether Starmer would have done a better job (I doubt Corbyn would have, and that’s so far the only choice the electorate has had), *but* let’s not say that Starmer has been ahead of almost every error the Government has made during this pandemic.

The suffering we have now, might (I stress “might”) have been avoided under Starmer. Or at least handled better. The same when he was calling for lockdown in October and was shouted at for “wanting to shut this country down”.

He called this out in February. So, at the very least, I don’t think “Captain Hindsight” has any sort of credence to it.