COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
starbuck

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by starbuck »

Not that easy. 30 kids per class = potentially 60 parents, chuck in a few grannies plus step mums / dads you could be looking 80 plus.

Who you going to turn away?

Glad it's not me organising this one!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

starbuck wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021, 10:10 pm
Not that easy. 30 kids per class = potentially 60 parents, chuck in a few grannies plus step mums / dads you could be looking 80 plus.

Who you going to turn away?

Glad it's not me organising this one!
Mine never turned up once (to be fair they had to work and Mum was herself a teacher at another local school), it evens out quite a bit. Plus some will have multiple children I expect. I'm sure there were never as many parents as children at school sports days when I were a lad.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Again, thank you.

Andy, tried that, they fobbed it off back to school level to make the call. The line was "as long as you keep to national guidelines it's fine."

I could video it, but I think it would be too faffy.

I'm going by the bit that says "multiple groups [of 30] are allowed". So I think I'll just have enough clearly marked out areas for groups of up to 30 with space in between.

It'll probably bloody chuck it down anyway 🤪

Thanks though guys, it helps to sense check my thoughts and I'm glad I'm not over thinking it - it just needs a lot of thinking to get it right from a covid POV.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I say go ahead if you can, it's outside after all so lower risk, and things like this can be a real tonic for kids and parents alike.

CJS

Post by CJS »

And a real gin and tonic for the idiot who said he'd plan it 😂
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

The covid testing regime in the film and TV world is pretty hot.

Filmed on Monday, they asked me to get a covid test, so I did on Thursday.

Negative

Called back by my agent that night. I'd got one too early. I need to go for another one on Friday...so I got a private one,. They paid

Negative again

Monday afternoon,. In the middle of filming.. I need yet another one.

Negative again.

They have to cover all bases I suppose.

Well worth it to be prodded, set on fire and used as a book stand by Jennifer Saunders,. While being quite dead lying on a slab., And working with Mike Myers.
Last edited by AndyXH558 on Thu 17 Jun 2021, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those aren't pillows!!!!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It really is quite indefensible how Johnson and his Government squandered the huge sacrifices we all made throughout lockdown, and the immense success of the NHS rolling out the vaccines.

All down to a trade trip and not wanting to annoy Modi (which was then cancelled anyway). Johnson has played a huge risk with public lives, and for zero chance of any reward, let alone guarantee.

And now we’re in for the ride. Cases are exponentially growing. Hospitalisations are increasing. We all now just hold our breath (almost literally) and hope that deaths do not start to increase, either.

I’m not sure I agree with Teaboy that there *will* be thousands of deaths. We won’t know until we know. But the problem is that if there *are* thousands of deaths, by the time that happens it’s already too late to do something about it (which is why it’s a complete nonsense to wait until “deaths start to rise” before doing anything about it).

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

BoJo the clown,and his ego strike again.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 8:25 am
I’m not sure I agree with Teaboy that there *will* be thousands of deaths. We won’t know until we know. But the problem is that if there *are* thousands of deaths, by the time that happens it’s already too late to do something about it (which is why it’s a complete nonsense to wait until “deaths start to rise” before doing anything about it).
This. I probably got a bit over dramatic but the start of my hypothesis was a response to a "deaths are low so everything is fine" sort of sentiment.

We are on course for over 1000 deaths this summer even if deaths remain where they are now. I don't see how they can possibly go down if cases continue at their same level or rise further. But I don't think the public will pay much mind to this unless they go over 100 a day again..... though we saw last year that for some 500 a day was seemingly acceptable. The simple fact is that every single death from the new variant will have been completely avoidable. And while they will hopefully and in light of the evidence so far, probably, remain low..... they should have been practically 0.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Teaboy wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 9:52 am
We are on course for over 1000 deaths this summer even if deaths remain where they are now.
Is that deaths in excess of the average number of deaths for summer in the past, or just "over 1000 deaths".

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Current covid deaths a 66 a week, 16weeks until end September... 16 x 66 = 1056 covid deaths over the summer at the current rate.

+25% to counter the government fiddling of the stats since the 66 a week is only those who died within 28 days of the first positive test.
Last edited by Teaboy on Wed 16 Jun 2021, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

That's not answered my question though...

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

cg_341 wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 10:08 am
That's not answered my question though...
fine
cg_341 wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 10:00 am
Teaboy wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 9:52 am
We are on course for over 1000 deaths this summer even if deaths remain where they are now.
Is that deaths in excess of the average number of deaths for summer in the past, or just "over 1000 deaths".
neither, see above post. Covid Deaths.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I mean, look, Johnson can disagree with Starmer, but this is absolute nothing but pure douchebaggery, and, as much as anything else - wrong.

One suspects that it’s because Johnson doesn’t have any defence or justification. He just cocked up. He knows it. We know it. Everyone knows it. But still they keep up the charade of it somehow not being a cock up.

And also, I was never really a fan of it anyway (Johnson is like every other bloke I was at public school with and it was tiresome then), but Johnson has to drop this clown act of tussled hair, a creased shirt, and using comically stupid words like he’s vomiting a thesaurus.

This is a serious issue. He has just put mental health of millions in the gutter, and jeopardised millions of businesses who were preparing for June 21st reopenings.

Have some god-damned statesmanship, man. Thatcher or Churchill would have thought Johnson very much the clown-arse that he is. And they wouldn’t have been afraid to say it, either.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

He keeps repeating the line that they put India on the red list a couple of days before the variant was officially classed as a variant of concern.

Which is a little like me saying that, having watched my car hurtling towards the poor family of four for 2 weeks I at least applied the brakes 3 meters before impact. Their hospitalisation wasn't my fault, I acted before it became a crash and that was early enough.

He's a wretch, and so is anyone still miserable enough to support him. His position would be a lot more untenable if his poll rating was not so good.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Boris Johnson should be in prison. Or better still, a good old lynching.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

My 2nd jab was booked in for July 23rd. Just been on line and re-booked it to the end of June so worth taking a look if you are waiting for a 2nd jab. You need to cancel your 2nd jab first before you can access the available centres / slots to see what is available.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Having to cancel existing before rebooking is a terrible system, what if you cancel only to find something much later instead of earlier. A shambolic system. I decided to stick to my original date for second jab, too risky otherwise.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

That was my initial thought but there were at least as many centres with dates available as when I booked my first jab and I've actually now booked at a centre much much closer to home that previously wasn't available to me.

I guess it all depends how long you are waiting for the 2nd jab. Moving it forward by 4 weeks was a risk well worth taking for me.

Edit - thinking about it I'm not sure that you could end up with a later date can you? When your 2nd jab was booked it would have been at the maximum (or near maximum) 12 week limit between jabs so I would think that there would be some algorithm built in to prevent you going over the 12 weeks between jabs?

A quick google search wasn't bringing up any anecdotal news articles about people losing out by re-booking.
Last edited by starbuck on Wed 16 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 12:32 pm
Thatcher or Churchill would have thought Johnson very much the clown-arse that he is. And they wouldn’t have been afraid to say it, either.
It's hard to imagine that either Thatcher or Churchill would have tolerated Johnson at all.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

starbuck wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021, 4:11 pm
That was my initial thought but there were at least as many centres with dates available as when I booked my first jab and I've actually now booked at a centre much much closer to home that previously wasn't available to me.

I guess it all depends how long you are waiting for the 2nd jab. Moving it forward by 4 weeks was a risk well worth taking for me.

Edit - thinking about it I'm not sure that you could end up with a later date can you? When your 2nd jab was booked it would have been at the maximum (or near maximum) 12 week limit between jabs so I would think that there would be some algorithm built in to prevent you going over the 12 weeks between jabs?

A quick google search wasn't bringing up any anecdotal news articles about people losing out by re-booking.
Hmmm thanks for this, interesting angle. You may well be right. I'm just risk averse by nature I think!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Our local idiots have collapsed government here in Northern Ireland.

Meaning we are stuck in limbo. The loosening of regulations due to come in on Friday now can't be signed off. Nor can any loosening until we get government up and running again.

Last time it was 3 years.

Hospitality, live music, indoor regulations etc all now out the window with no one to sign off on regulations.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belf ... CJmoV_Yuxs

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Not expecting too much sympathy round these parts, but as if Hancock's week isn't bad enough already, JRM gave him a ringing endorsement in the house of commons today.
😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57513415

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

That’s his career over. Alternatively he’ll do a Geoffrey Howe and BJ will be looking to spend more time with his family by August.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

and dido harding (not wasting the decal liftime on my shift key for that waste of space) looking set to take over the NHS. I know we are all going to die eventually, but this government is doing it's absolute best to make sure the UK doesn't have to honour any of it's carbon commitments due to the country no longer existing.