COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Ken Shabby

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Ken Shabby »

A report in the Daily Telegraph today is claiming only 44% of the figure being given COVID hospitalisations are people actually admitted to hospital because of COVID.

The rest are admitted for other reasons but then test positive as part of routine testing on arrival. Source is given as leaked NHS data.
Ken

Afghanistan - so what was the point of all that then?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 9:41 am
Over a week on from 'Freedom day' how do you all feel about masks? I have not worn one since. Have been shopping a couple of times, to the pub, cafe and got dragged along to a big horse show at the weekend. While there I sat in a stand with a few hundred other people without a mask in sight. It feels lovely to not have to think 'have i got a mask'? We don't do public transport so I get if you want to use them then, I nolonger really think about it and hope I never have to wear one again.
i've been mixed on it. i stick one on if i go into a shop, but tend not to have it on unless it's particularly busy somewhere. Wearing a mask doesn't particularly bother me to be honest. i'll stop wearing them eventually, but i have no strong feelings either way

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

farnboroughrob wrote:
It feels lovely to not have to think 'have i got a mask'? We don't do public transport so I get if you want to use them then, I nolonger really think about it and hope I never have to wear one again.
"Have I got a mask" vs "I'm potentially risking your life". Talk about first world problems.

What an absolute wallopper :D But I'm glad this small bit of inconvenience has been removed for you, and I'll happily be admitted to hospital because you couldn't be bothered to pick up a mask when you grabbed your wallet and keys.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 9:12 am
Back in March/April, ethnic minorities had the lowest percentages of vaccination rates. That needed to improve & the government quietly went on a path of persuasion, rather than coercion. It convinced people
To get vaccinated, rather than forced them to. And it worked.

The same needs to happen to young adults and kids. Nonsense about vaccine passports is coercion, rather than persuasion, which is wrong.
Did it? Genuine question as I haven't seen any data / reporting since the campaigning and I know that London boroughs with the highest BAME communities were still the lowest in vaccination up to quite recently.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Teaboy wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 10:07 am
farnboroughrob wrote:
It feels lovely to not have to think 'have i got a mask'? We don't do public transport so I get if you want to use them then, I nolonger really think about it and hope I never have to wear one again.
"Have I got a mask" vs "I'm potentially risking your life". Talk about first world problems.

What an absolute wallopper :D But I'm glad this small bit of inconvenience has been removed for you, and I'll happily be admitted to hospital because you couldn't be bothered to pick up a mask when you grabbed your wallet and keys.
As far as I'm concerned we are back to pre May 17th levels of infection / containment irrespective of vaccination and I'm masking / social distancing on this basis.

From observing the crowds at Liverpool St and London Bridge stations and along the road between last weekend I'm in a very small minority

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

starbuck wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 10:14 am
Tommy wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 9:12 am
Back in March/April, ethnic minorities had the lowest percentages of vaccination rates. That needed to improve & the government quietly went on a path of persuasion, rather than coercion. It convinced people
To get vaccinated, rather than forced them to. And it worked.

The same needs to happen to young adults and kids. Nonsense about vaccine passports is coercion, rather than persuasion, which is wrong.
Did it? Genuine question as I haven't seen any data / reporting since the campaigning and I know that London boroughs with the highest BAME communities were still the lowest in vaccination up to quite recently.
It did indeed. I recall polling from the time (I think Ipsos), and the Government press conference that noted it. A quick Google for that press conference has confirmed it (I cba to Wade through the polling but it’s there):

https://www.gponline.com/gps-praised-va ... le/1713542
Speaking at a Downing Street press conference on 20 April, NHS England primary care medical director Dr Nikki Kanani revealed that between 7 February 2021 and 7 April 2021, vaccine coverage in minority ethnic groups rose 235%, from 1.8m to 5.7m.

This outpaced the 154% rise in vaccine uptake across all ethnicities over the same period. Among people from a Bangladeshi background - among whom high vaccine hesitancy has been reported - a five-fold increase in uptake was seen over the two-month period.

Dr Kanani said GPs' understanding of their local communities had been a key driver behind this improvement - helping to dispel misinformation and build confidence.
I mean, there will always be vaccine hesitancy. There is vaccine hesitancy amongst white male 50 - 60 year olds. And look at the recent anti-vaccine protests. Monstrous bellends. So it depends on your definition of “worked”. If people want to drop nuance and paint things as absolutes, then there still is vaccine hesitancy, but the persuasive approach got a significant increase in uptake from those communities.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

131 deaths within 28 days of first positive test.

*then i said some nonsense which I will remove as nonsense*
Last edited by Teaboy on Tue 27 Jul 2021, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Teaboy wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 4:13 pm

Mask up or partake in anonymous Manslaughter
You and I are often closer in agreement than others in this thread, so please don’t take it personally when I say that I consider that the above comment really is quite a nonsense thing to say.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Manslaughter? Pah, child's play for us psychopaths.

I am still wearing a mask though

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Fair enough! I get carried away easily, will remove the comments... I had wayyyy too much coffee after lunch.
Last edited by Teaboy on Tue 27 Jul 2021, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

re the 131 (now 141) deaths, we know that these may well have been patients hospitalised long before 19.7.21. Compare the total monthly deaths to what they were in the first wave and they are very small by comparison; it must be thanks to the vaccines as nothing else has dramatically changed, if anything restrictions are much less than before July 2020

Once again where is the data about ages and underlying health conditions of those victims? the government was very hot on reporting that 12 months ago

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Zoom wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021, 5:01 pm
Once again where is the data about ages and underlying health conditions of those victims? the government was very hot on reporting that 12 months ago
It's possible that given the numbers are so small there are no coherent statistical patterns emerging. It would be interesting to know though.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

This sounds like nonsense

Prof Mike Tildesley, a member of the government’s Scientific Pandemic Influenza Modelling advisory group (SPI-M), told Times Radio this morning that one reason for the recent fall in new Covid cases might be people choosing not to get tested ahead of going on holiday. Asked about the reasons for the decline, he said:

Because schools in England closed last week, we haven’t got secondary school pupils doing regular lateral flow testing and so we’re not necessarily detecting as many cases in younger people.

It’s also been suggested by some that, possibly, because of a high number of cases, because of the summer holidays approaching, people might be less willing to ‘step up’ to testing when they have symptoms.

OK daily testing is down a couple of 100,000 compared to a few days ago but 21,000 positive cases down from last week would mean testing would have had to almost halve in order to bring about that reduction. Is he seriously saying 21,000 people a day are going on holiday knowing they have Covid symptoms?

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

I'm not travelling abroad anytime soon so not really bothered to keep up, but don't most countries require you to provide a negative test within 48 hours of travelling anyway?

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

Within 72 hours, yes. Certainly for the countries I’m interested in. I’m sure there’s plenty of variations.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

This is going to sound completely out there and for that I apologise.

Has anyone any information concerning the Pfizer vaccine and it's interaction with other drugs. Especially heart medication.

I only ask because my body is rejecting everything medication wise. I'm getting side effects. And I don't mean the good ones. The life I have has disappeared. And I'm afraid I don't think it's going to come back.
Those aren't pillows!!!!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

AndyXH558 wrote:
Wed 28 Jul 2021, 6:43 pm
Has anyone any information concerning the Pfizer vaccine and it's interaction with other drugs. Especially heart medication.
Your doctor will, Andy. Speak to them, not random planespotters on a forum.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

No my doctor doesn't. I'm asking a perfectly valid question. There seem to be a few people on here who know what they are talking about.
Those aren't pillows!!!!

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Have you followed the web-links on your vaccination card?

They will get you to this page https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... e-effects/ and you're best to call 111 if you're not getting good advice from your doctor.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

This government just keeps on coming up with the perplexing.

They are going to decide in September if students need to have had the vaccine before going into halls.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58009677

If it's 8 weeks between 1st and 2nd dose, they need to have decided 4 weeks ago! September is when students go to University. It's too late then. Some of us will remember the huge number of cases caused at some universities last year.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 29 Jul 2021, 12:20 pm
This government just keeps on coming up with the perplexing.

They are going to decide in September if students need to have had the vaccine before going into halls.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58009677

If it's 8 weeks between 1st and 2nd dose, they need to have decided 4 weeks ago! September is when students go to University. It's too late then. Some of us will remember the huge number of cases caused at some universities last year.
it's a threat imo, same with the passports for clubs that may or may not happen in september.
its an attempt to push people into getting the jab by threatening to take their liberties away, as opposed to being seen as the government that actually takes peoples liberties away.

i don't think either will happen, they are just hoping for the same reaction as france without upsetting their voter base by being authoritarian

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

In The Netherlands:
Pre-flight covid tests in NL - free, loads of options for location/time.

PCR tests (if needed) once back in NL - free, loads of options for location/time

Cost in UK for day 2 test only, 65 pound

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

This is concerning?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ports.html

Why do we need this?
Who is pulling the strings, as state control and impinging on individual liberties is very un-Conservative.

I was saying at the beginning of the year vaccines won’t be mandatory, but you will be shut out of society if you don’t have it. It seems this is coming true now.

The trouble is where does this stop? Booster vaccines, flu vaccines whatever the government mandates or you are shut out of society.

The conspiracy theorists don’t seem so crazy now.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

FGR2 wrote:
Thu 29 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm
This is concerning?

Why do we need this?
Who is pulling the strings, as state control and impinging on individual liberties is very un-Conservative.

I was saying at the beginning of the year vaccines won’t be mandatory, but you will be shut out of society if you don’t have it. It seems this is coming true now.

The trouble is where does this stop? Booster vaccines, flu vaccines whatever the government mandates or you are shut out of society.

Try not reading the daily mail... It's designed only for people with neandertal levels of IQ.

Oh - and nothing it publishes is remotely true!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Andyph wrote:
Thu 29 Jul 2021, 11:01 pm
FGR2 wrote:
Thu 29 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm
This is concerning?

Why do we need this?

Try not reading the daily mail... It's designed only for people with neandertal levels of IQ.

Oh - and nothing it publishes is remotely true!
This was also covered at length on Sky News about 15 minutes ago. Maybe not as sensationalist, but Sir Graham Brady has raised concerns with this (as well as other MPs) so there is some truth in it.