Weather watch '22

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
TheMaster

Re: Weather watch '22

Post by TheMaster »

Hilarious people are verging on taking Bear Grylls measures when the outlook says 26 Sat and 29 Sun. Cooler than many go on holiday to witness.

Meep

Post by Meep »

TheMaster wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 10:57 am
Hilarious people are verging on taking Bear Grylls measures when the outlook says 26 Sat and 29 Sun. Cooler than many go on holiday to witness.
Ignoring the fact those are on the low side of forecasts, and forecasts are for shade temperatures not the middle of a concrete airfield in the sun....

Maybe its because some people have seen the serious effects of the sun and heat, and may be bringing people more vulnerable to the effects and are discussing sensible precautions so they can enjoy potentially 10 or more hours in the sun without ill effects or causing additional work for those who support the show. Personally I'd quite like to wake up Sunday feeling fine after a great show, not nursing the sufferings of the weather

It's a free country and sharing precautions is a reasonable discussion especially given the seriousness the authorities are taking the upcoming weather

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

TheMaster wrote:
Cooler than many go on holiday to witness.
I guess you'll be jumping into the pool at RIAT to cool down then....ah.....

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

TheMaster wrote:
I've been to Florida this year where the weather ranged from 28-35C for 2 weeks, but I didn't sit out in the open from about 8am to 7pm in an airfield. I was in and out of aircon, in the shade and only minimally in the sun, so it's completely different.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

BMrider wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 5:03 am
Just had a large UV golf umbrella delivered yesterday with a mount that fastens it to my chair, set it all up yesterday and it provides great shade, amazon delivered 1 day delivery so still time for the weekend visitors to bring your own shade
After Yeovilton 2013 as my mild heatstroke I purchased a UV umbrella in preparation for RIAT the following weekend and it made such a huge difference to how I was able to handle the heat, just being able to keep my head in the shade all day was a god send and I would seriously recommend to anyone planning to go on Saturday or Sunday that a UV umbrella could make all the difference.

verreli

Post by verreli »

SuffolkBlue wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 11:13 am
TheMaster wrote:
Cooler than many go on holiday to witness.
I guess you'll be jumping into the pool at RIAT to cool down then....ah.....
Any excuse to parade the budgie smugglers...

coanda

Post by coanda »

A bit of rain here in Bristol this afternoon....and quite grey with it! Still, fingers crossed!

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

coanda wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 4:04 pm
A bit of rain here in Bristol this afternoon....and quite grey with it! Still, fingers crossed!
Just a passing cold front apparently. Expected to be hotting up again towards the end of the week and over the weekend.

Meep

Post by Meep »

One to monitor is the level of cloud cover, the forecast has been increasing for several days and now close to 50% for both days. Hopefully shouldnt be disruptive but worth monitoring

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

BMrider wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 5:03 am
Just had a large UV golf umbrella delivered yesterday with a mount that fastens it to my chair, set it all up yesterday and it provides great shade, amazon delivered 1 day delivery so still time for the weekend visitors to bring your own shade
Are these allowed within 10 metres of the crowd line?

Asking for my old man, as we plan to be at the front. He is thinking of getting one if so.
Fast jet fanatic.

CJS

Post by CJS »

What currently bothers me about the weather is the predicted 14mph winds Thursday evening which look like scuppering my balloon flight for the 6th time! #firstworldproblems
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Andyperkins wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 3:08 pm

After Yeovilton 2013 as my mild heatstroke I purchased a UV umbrella in preparation for RIAT the following weekend and it made such a huge difference to how I was able to handle the heat, just being able to keep my head in the shade all day was a god send and I would seriously recommend to anyone planning to go on Saturday or Sunday that a UV umbrella could make all the difference.
Hi Andy , do you mean a smaller one that you walk around with, or a larger one that you attach to your chair or the ground? We have a larger one that says 50spf on it, so great for sitting, but now thinking about a smaller one to look round the statics as well if needs be.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Mr Benn wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 7:33 pm
Andyperkins wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 3:08 pm

Hi Andy , do you mean a smaller one that you walk around with, or a larger one that you attach to your chair or the ground? We have a larger one that says 50spf on it, so great for sitting, but now thinking about a smaller one to look round the statics as well if needs be.
The one I have is quite a small but can be clipped to a chair, doesn’t offer the same shade as a larger one but keeps the sun off my head which is enough for me to keep comfortable.

Veloman

Post by Veloman »

I’ll never forget Yeovilton 2013, hottest airshow I’ve ever experienced and was an endurance event with many leaving early. Very little shade and well into the high 30’s! From memory I believe the tarmac area was the equivalent of 40c! As for RIAT it has been in the 30’s before, late 80’s and early 2000 with wall to wall sunshine 2-3 shows running. I’m just glad it’s blue skies and not like the last few shows. I normally stick 2 1.5ltr bottles in the freezer overnight, works a treat. Temps not looking as extreme on the weekend as was predicted. Besides, it is summer ;-)

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

Now down to 25 and 28 sat and sun.

Meep

Post by Meep »

TheMaster wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:29 am
On what site?

BBC and Accuweather both saying 27 and 30, the former is specifically for the base as the location, the latter for Fairford generically, so I know who I believe, and those are shade temperatures not out in the sun so are understating the reality for people attending

If you want to deny the issue, that's your choice, but for others it's a serious issue affecting attendance so quoting numbers with no context is just being unhelpful

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Meep wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:38 am
TheMaster wrote:
On what site?

BBC and Accuweather both saying 27 and 30, the former is specifically for the base as the location, the latter for Fairford generically, so I know who I believe, and those are shade temperatures not out in the sun so are understating the reality for people attending

If you want to deny the issue, that's your choice, but for others it's a serious issue affecting attendance so quoting numbers with no context is just being unhelpful
Metoffice are currently forecasting those temps.

Meep

Post by Meep »

Andyperkins wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:42 am
Meep wrote:
TheMaster wrote:
On what site?

And an Amber extreme heat warning covering Fairford

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Meep wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:44 am
Andyperkins wrote:
Meep wrote:
TheMaster wrote:
On what site?

Pretty sure everywhere down south has the extreme temp warning for Sunday onwards, we do here in Bristol and currently it’s forecasting 27c for Sunday, think they are just unsure when it really start to kick off and are hedging their bets, could just as easily be overnight Sunday.

People should most definitely be careful and take precautions but it’s certainly not looking like the worst case scenario’s from last week which predicted 40c over the weekend but even if the 27c forecast turns out to be correct it will be low 30s what with all the tarmac.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Veloman wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:01 am
I’ll never forget Yeovilton 2013, hottest airshow I’ve ever experienced and was an endurance event with many leaving early. Very little shade and well into the high 30’s! From memory I believe the tarmac area was the equivalent of 40c! As for RIAT it has been in the 30’s before, late 80’s and early 2000 with wall to wall sunshine 2-3 shows running. I’m just glad it’s blue skies and not like the last few shows. I normally stick 2 1.5ltr bottles in the freezer overnight, works a treat. Temps not looking as extreme on the weekend as was predicted. Besides, it is summer ;-)
I was there! Jesus how uncomfortable was it!!!!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Post by 5944 »

tankbuster81 wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 8:27 am
Veloman wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:01 am
I was there! Jesus how uncomfortable was it!!!!
I went in 2014 and that was bad enough! Only time I've ever been, and it put me off being outside with no shelter, plus looking into the sun all day. I'm not sure I've even processed the photos from that day!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Meep wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 6:44 am
Andyperkins wrote:
Meep wrote:
TheMaster wrote:
On what site?

It's gonna be hot, for sure, but I think it's going to be manageably hot as long as you take sensible precautions. And of course as with anything there will be those for whom sensible precautions means not going. I know for a fact that if my Dad was able to attend he now wouldn't be coming due to the heat. I don't like it much but I'm happy to move about a bit, find shade, cover up, eat ice creams and whatever. My 6 year old will need buckets of sun cream and a lot of water but again, I can manage it.

No-one will be effected in the same way will they (we're not robots after all - not yet anyway) so all the needling of each other seems a bit pointless really.

As someone once said, a weather forecast is a forecast and just that - the temps over the weekend could easily end up being several degrees either side of what is currently being mentioned. Everyone can make up their own minds though - they don't need anyone on here trying to do that for them!

rokut

Post by rokut »

Main thing is to prepare. Over prepared is better than under prepared. Go thinking you need to use sunblock, cover as much skin as possible whilst keeping cool, drink more water than you think you need and take something manageable to create some shade. The worst thing that can then happen is you've carried a little more gear than you needed on the day.

The flipside is an uncomfortable experience at best, to needing medical attention/ rescuing from your inability to prepare at worst.

All the best guys! Personally I can't wait to be there and will no doubt take too much stuff and curse the walk from the car hahaha

CJS

Post by CJS »

rokut wrote:
Thu 14 Jul 2022, 8:43 am
Main thing is to prepare. Over prepared is better than under prepared. Go thinking you need to use sunblock, cover as much skin as possible whilst keeping cool, drink more water than you think you need and take something manageable to create some shade. The worst thing that can then happen is you've carried a little more gear than you needed on the day.

The flipside is an uncomfortable experience at best, to needing medical attention/ rescuing from your inability to prepare at worst.

All the best guys! Personally I can't wait to be there and will no doubt take too much stuff and curse the walk from the car hahaha
Imagine if the forecast changed now and it pissed down all weekend :joy:

I mean, not actually funny, other than in the context of this particular thread...