COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
vandal

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by vandal »

Pen Pusher wrote:From BBC Web Site
Cafes, pubs and restaurants must close from Friday night, except for take-away food, to tackle coronavirus, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

All the UK's nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have also been asked to close "as soon as they reasonably can".

Mr Johnson said the situation will be reviewed each month.

The chancellor has said the government will pay 80% of wages for employees who are not working, up to £2,500 a month.

Brian

Watched this on Sky News - they then went on to interview 2 guys outside a pub. One of them gave PMBJ a bit of flak for not closing pubs earlier & instructing people to stay at home, to which the reporter says "& yet here you are ignoring his advice by being down the pub."

Honestly, some people....

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

pbeardmore wrote:The new financial package just announced is huge, national debt is going to go through the roof but what choice do we have.

None and in a modern, rich, liberal society that's just how it should be. Hopefully, this will bring out the best in the vast majority of society minded people, will reset society to value all those vital, but poorly remunerated, national services, make people use and realise the positive side of social media and that society will come out better the other side. hat said, the FTSE100 has risen today on the backs of traders making bargain deals - just hope the nearest thunderbolt gets them.

That's one view but the other one is this.
Let the virus run it's course and what might happen?
Many older residents of care homes wouldn't make it, so alleviating the care crisis and cutting the national pension bill
Pubs etc would stay open so meaning the huge govt led financial package wouldn't be needed.
There's still be pasta, chicken etc on the shelves.
Tourism related jobs wouldn't be being lost at a horrendous rate

And the adherents of a certain Austrian corporal would be in 7th heaven
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I feel much better that the govenment has guranteed 80% of wages, yes not everybody is covered but the vast majourity. A just feel for once that the average man in the stret should very much be helped this time. None of us saw any real benefit from the last crisis bailout apart from not loosing our money in the bank. I do think there will be big tax rises coming next year though.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Georgeconna wrote:Dont laugh I have a Gas Mask I got years ago, Now it will come on handy!!

Its from the 90's. Is that stuff in it!! :roll:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Hats off to Tesco and M&S.

They are giving priority not just to elderly & vulnerable, but the NHS too.

Haven't figured out how to post links from my phone, so - Tesco is starting Sunday 22 March for 1 hour before store opens and M&S on Tuesdays and Fridays before the stores open.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Georgeconna wrote:
Georgeconna wrote:Dont laugh I have a Gas Mask I got years ago, Now it will come on handy!!

Its from the 90's. Is that stuff in it!! :roll:

Maybe not, however the filters will be years out of date.

All that activated charcoal in there to filter the air might be clogged up.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I have been using M&S, Co-Op and the local fruit and veg shop recently and stock had been ok even mid afternoon but the locus have move on from Aldi and now plundered those shops. Thankfully for us I can get in at Tesco on the 9-10 slot for the vulnerable. I still feel for those that can't get in early etc to get food. It's also surprising how many people have suddenly learnt to cook again with all the fresh veg now going as fast as the pasta and loo roll.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

vandal

Post by vandal »

If this is anything to go by, best pray that when the pubs & clubs re open, there's not a shortage of beer.

verreli

Post by verreli »

farnboroughrob wrote:I do think there will be big tax rises coming next year though.

Get ready for a dose of inflation, maybe even hyper-inflation. All this helicopter money will have an inevitable consequence. It's not all bad; if you have a lot of debt, in a mortgage for instance, it will be inflated away. Your wage will also increase in time. Unfortunately prices will rise before this happens meaning short term pain. If you have assets or cash, expect your wealth to erode.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Our Union put out an email last night.

From Monday the NHS are expected to be contacting medically vulnerable people and asking about how they can stay safe plus who is in their household.

They are expecting them then to use their (new) powers to instruct the entire household to self-isolate for 12 weeks in order to protect the vulnerable person.

The new law which is supposed to get rapid RA Monday makes ignoring many of these new instructions a criminal offence, I’m not sure if this order to self-isolate is one of them.

Andy

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

I knew it was happening but I actually felt quite sad on Facebook with lot of posts from pubs saying they are closing including my local.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I work in financial services in a non-customer facing role. So reading the indignant rants about insurance companies from ignorant people who don't understand insurance terms, conditions and exclusions has been funny.

We've been told to work from home for the foreseeable but as everything i do is on a computer via email then aside from the self motivation this is no hardship. And I can have my 'tunes' on all day, take my lunch when I want etc.

People who are saying we need to trust the 'experts' should remember the WHO issued a report in January '20 stating coronavirus 'cannot be transmitted between humans'.

Personally I think the entire Worldwide reaction to this has been a massive overreaction to something that if you are not over 70 or have a pre-existing condition then the risk to health is very low to non existent. The Government boffins said that if we did nothing 250k people would die from coronavirus but in the UK each year 600k die anyway. They've been forced to admit that the 250k deaths wouldn't necessarily be 'additional' deaths as the people who would be dying of coronavirus would in all probability have died from their existing condition/ age anyway. In Italy out of 3405 deaths (at the time of writing) only 3 didn't have serious pre existing conditions.

People were moaning that Brexit was the best example of a nation self harming and yet here we have the World self harming by closing down the economy in an attempt to save the lives of people who would, in all probability, have die in the next few months anyway due to their life limiting conditions. The cost to the economy is going to be magnitudes bigger than Brexit and the 2008 slowdown and for what? So 250k 'coffin dodgers' could live 6 mths longer? We've seen some unprecedented financial policies from the Government perhaps its time to see some unprecedented health policies. When the NHS started life expectancy was around 67; now it's in the low to mid 80s. But improved health care hasn't been focused on improving quality of life; more on improving longevity with the consequence people are now living longer with a decreased quality of life ( my own mother described it as 'not a life but an existence'). Perhaps it's time to say palliative care only beyond say 75yo - we need to focus resources on those with their life before them, not those who are, for all intents and purposes, 'life expired'. All lives are NOT of equal value.

To be honest I've probably had coronavirus already and not realised. My Mrs had a fever and a dry cough (normally pointers to you having the virus) but as her illness also included vomiting and loss of appetite (which weren't mentioned as 'trademark symptoms') she just assumed it was flu and got on with it. Now they are saying digestive symptoms might indicate coronavirus. They reckon that 80% of people with the virus won't even have any symptoms and so these people will just carry on as before.

It will be interesting to see the stats when they are collected in respect of unintended consequences of coronavirus. Will there be a baby boom because people are shut in the house with no sport to watch and no access to reliable contraception? Will there be a rise in the divorce rate from people who previously moaned they never got to spend more than 90 minutes a week with their partner and now find out that actually 90 minutes is more than enough? Will 'wfh' become the default position for all non-customer facing staff as companies realise having a big 'status' office with all its attendant bills is just a money pit that doesn't add any value to the business?

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

speedbird 2639, I have rarely, if ever, seen a more smug, heartless, non-empathic post on this forum.

You are saying, in effect, that if one is either over 70 or has some "underlying health condition" then one is worthless.

That is eugenics at its worst.

I fit both categories, but I can confidently say that the company for which I now work considers me valuable since when I "officially" retired they approached me to work for them and I am still there several years later.

There are numerous "worthless" people without whom many charitable and volunteer organisations would collapse (including several aviation museums/restoration projects)

Your post is disgusting but not surprising from one who makes their living by making promises which they have no intention of keeping if they can find any way out of them, which is what the so-called "insurance" industry does.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I was going to reply to Speedbird, but Phreakf4 has said it all. Who would have thought that someone with such a nasty attitude would be working for an insurance company!

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Paul_Reflex wrote:I was going to reply to Speedbird, but Phreakf4 has said it all. Who would have thought that someone with such a nasty attitude would be working for an insurance company!

He's also wrong, what about the 5 doctors who have died treating patients in Italy?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

One spin off - my boys are always asking about why they need to know maths. It can all be done on a calculator. Well, in terms of applied maths, those who know what an exponential function is will have realised straight away how the World would be effected by this virus and, also, therefore, how important it is to take the correct action at the right time.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

verreli

Post by verreli »

We don't have the same information that the decision makers do. We don't know their motivation for this unprecedented action. It may be a dress-rehearsal for something to come; it may be an excuse to roll out new policy; it may be absolutely necessary to protect our way of life.

What we do know is that action is being taken and globally people of all ages are getting a rather unpleasant illness. We all owe it to ourselves and those we care about to take appropriate action. That may be to carry on as normal, protect our health for what may happen or look to the future beyond this event that the world will no doubt get over.

Keep Calm and Carry On as us Brits would say.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Thank you for that Speedbird...as someone who has lived successfully with one of those "underlying conditions" for 29 years and have controlled it successfully during that time I rather thought I might have a good few years left on this earth working and generally contributing.

Obviously this was totally misguided of me and in hindsight perhaps when I was initially diagnosed the doctors should just have got the bolt gun out and put me (and others with such conditions) out of my misery to ensure I wouldn't be a future burden to family or state.

Your long effluent paean more than confirms and reinforces the adage that if a person might possibly be viewed as a certain something then it's generally not the best idea to come out with something that confirms it beyond all doubt.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Well i work in a hotel in Worthing and i have just got confirmation, that we are closed until the situation is sorted whenever that may be. Crazy times scary but things can only get better can't they.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

speedbird, please post a link to the WHO Report you reference, many thanks.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

pbeardmore wrote:speedbird, please post a link to the WHO Report you reference, many thanks.

This is what I found.........

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source ... 9-ncov.pdf

Stay safe.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

speedbird makes a direct quote from the report - I can't find that within that link but thanks anyway,

any idea Speedbird?

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Local Boots now asking £5 for prescription home delivery, even if your told to self isolate and not go out for 12 weeks. Guess once this is over they will be losing our business, and they wife has over 20 items a month on repeat. I have 2.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Boots have been charging £5 since September last year so not exactly something new.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-49720157

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

More than anything else, the one thing that has come out of this is that a large proportion of the UK public are plain stupid. Many unable to understand what social distancing means and why if done properly it will mean that we don't have to do it. Many unable to see that stockpiling and panic buying is wrong and will do nothing to help the situation.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics