COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
pbeardmore

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by pbeardmore »

Yes, fair point, the stupiity of the public (or sectors of it) is something that politicians never discuss as they rely on the votes from those stupid people, it's one of the weaknesses of democracy. It's ironic that the virus started within a dictatorship that was able to take very very stiff action.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Pen Pusher wrote:Boots have been charging £5 since September last year so not exactly something new.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-49720157

Brian

I didn't know that, although the wife was marked for home delivery I never used it as it's just as easy to walk to collect it myself.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

T_J

Post by T_J »

pbeardmore wrote:speedbird, please post a link to the WHO Report you reference, many thanks.

The WHO (World Health Organization) was referring to the findings of the Chinese National Health Commission. At that time there was no clear evidence of human to human transmission.

The WHO tweeted on 14th January.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152[/tweet]
See the Wiki Timeline. By the 20th January the positive evidence was there of human to human transmission.

The investigation team from China's National Health Commission confirmed for the first time that the coronavirus can be transmitted between humans.

On 14 January, WHO tweeted: "Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic_in_November_2019_%E2%80%93_January_2020

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Thats not a WHO report and thats not what the specific quote form speedbird says. If there was ever a time for facts , it's now.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

The local Tesco was allowing key workers (myself included) only to shop an hour early before they opened their doors to the public this morning. Unfortunately the result was that the shop (Extra) was full and everyone had done their weekly shop (no panic / bulk buying from what I could see) and was queuing up in close proximity for 30 minutes before they were allowed to open the tills. So who knows how many may have picked up the virus to then pass it onto the vulnerable during this period?

They did also make the general public wait outside until we had all left. I only got what we needed for 3 days but with one exception (plastic free tea bags) all I needed was in stock; there was enough left for everyone after the protected hour as long as they were sensible

and free Mothers Day flowers too! shame I followed Government advice to stay away today
Last edited by Zoom on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

the last couple of decades has seen a rise in moronic behavoir from certain sectors of the public. Every year, the medea cover people fighting over a TV on black Monday, not following emergency procedures on aircraft, queueing for hours for a new iPhone, using phones while driving etc etc,

but the ramifications are relatively low. Suddenly the stakes are far far higher but we have the same population who are behaving completely in character. We should not be that surprised, our social cohesion is as thin as the loo paper that we are fighting over.

skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

pbeardmore wrote:Thats not a WHO report and thats not what the specific quote form speedbird says. If there was ever a time for facts , it's now.

I cannot find the WHO report that states the quote by speedbird2639
You can read all the reports from this link starting from report 1.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... n-reports/
WHO Situation Report 3 (23 January 2020) See Page 1
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source ... d6d23643_8
It becomes apparent that COVID-19 spreads from human to human in this report.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Now the pubs are shut, anyone with a caravan or campervan is heading into the Yorkshire Countryside or the Highlands with the intention of isolating there. :wall: :wall:

neilos

Post by neilos »

vandal wrote:Now the pubs are shut, anyone with a caravan or campervan is heading into the Yorkshire Countryside or the Highlands with the intention of isolating there. :wall: :wall:

To be honest, if I could borrow my uncle n aunts motorhome for several weeks, that’s what I’d be doing.

But, I’d be a hermit on wheels. No contact with anyone, zilch, live off grid kinda thing.

T_J

Post by T_J »

pbeardmore wrote:Thats not a WHO report and thats not what the specific quote form speedbird says. If there was ever a time for facts , it's now.

Correct, I thought that was obvious, but that is what Speedbird is referring to. As far as I can see there was no official WHO report. It was information disseminated by the WHO with the caveat that it was from the Chinese Health Commission based on the information at that time.

T_J

Post by T_J »

Zoom wrote:The local Tesco was allowing key workers (myself included) only to shop an hour early before they opened their doors to the public this morning.

Sadly that system is going to be abused. If it is just based on flashing an ID card then the scum bags will see an opportunity to abuse it. No doubt they have been busy getting the fake NHS ID cards off the web or simply making their own.

adam2628

Post by adam2628 »

speedbird2639 wrote:I work in financial services in a non-customer facing role. So reading the indignant rants about insurance companies from ignorant people who don't understand insurance terms, conditions and exclusions has been funny.

We've been told to work from home for the foreseeable but as everything i do is on a computer via email then aside from the self motivation this is no hardship. And I can have my 'tunes' on all day, take my lunch when I want etc.

People who are saying we need to trust the 'experts' should remember the WHO issued a report in January '20 stating coronavirus 'cannot be transmitted between humans'.

Personally I think the entire Worldwide reaction to this has been a massive overreaction to something that if you are not over 70 or have a pre-existing condition then the risk to health is very low to non existent. The Government boffins said that if we did nothing 250k people would die from coronavirus but in the UK each year 600k die anyway. They've been forced to admit that the 250k deaths wouldn't necessarily be 'additional' deaths as the people who would be dying of coronavirus would in all probability have died from their existing condition/ age anyway. In Italy out of 3405 deaths (at the time of writing) only 3 didn't have serious pre existing conditions.

People were moaning that Brexit was the best example of a nation self harming and yet here we have the World self harming by closing down the economy in an attempt to save the lives of people who would, in all probability, have die in the next few months anyway due to their life limiting conditions. The cost to the economy is going to be magnitudes bigger than Brexit and the 2008 slowdown and for what? So 250k 'coffin dodgers' could live 6 mths longer? We've seen some unprecedented financial policies from the Government perhaps its time to see some unprecedented health policies. When the NHS started life expectancy was around 67; now it's in the low to mid 80s. But improved health care hasn't been focused on improving quality of life; more on improving longevity with the consequence people are now living longer with a decreased quality of life ( my own mother described it as 'not a life but an existence'). Perhaps it's time to say palliative care only beyond say 75yo - we need to focus resources on those with their life before them, not those who are, for all intents and purposes, 'life expired'. All lives are NOT of equal value.

To be honest I've probably had coronavirus already and not realised. My Mrs had a fever and a dry cough (normally pointers to you having the virus) but as her illness also included vomiting and loss of appetite (which weren't mentioned as 'trademark symptoms') she just assumed it was flu and got on with it. Now they are saying digestive symptoms might indicate coronavirus. They reckon that 80% of people with the virus won't even have any symptoms and so these people will just carry on as before.

It will be interesting to see the stats when they are collected in respect of unintended consequences of coronavirus. Will there be a baby boom because people are shut in the house with no sport to watch and no access to reliable contraception? Will there be a rise in the divorce rate from people who previously moaned they never got to spend more than 90 minutes a week with their partner and now find out that actually 90 minutes is more than enough? Will 'wfh' become the default position for all non-customer facing staff as companies realise having a big 'status' office with all its attendant bills is just a money pit that doesn't add any value to the business?

I generally try not to judge a book by it's cover. But on the back of that post I can honestly say I'm pretty pleased that the chances of actually knowing you in person are pretty slim.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

On my way into work this morning I was astonished at the amount of businesses still open. I saw car dealerships and hairdressers still open as if nothing was going on. In our town Bellway Homes have just started a new housing estate and all of the builders were there working away. This site hasn’t even got planning permission yet!

Madness.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

What choice have people got?

There is a big difference between not going out for a walk on a crowded sea front on a Sunday and trying to earn a living for as long as possible before we go into the inevitable total lockdown that is coming.

Government advice / instruction has not ruled out all non-essential workers yet, so surely better people keep working responsibly and earning money for as long as possible rather than relying on the state?

skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

Having a haircut versus the chance of contracting the virus with the potential of it being life threating is an easy decision to make.
It’s not possible for a hairdresser to cuts someone’s hair whilst being at least 2m away from the customer.
People need to take this seriously!!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

As Clint once said "Dying ain't much of a living"

People putting money over their health or the health of others? They don't have the foresight or imagination to think of themselves in a hospital bed on a ventilator, desperate/gasping for their next breath and thinking "if only I had closed the hardressers a few days early" or, of course, spreading the virus to someone else, perhaps less healthy who then dies. They can only see the next few quid coming their way. To claim that people don't have a choice is not fair.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

pbeardmore wrote:As Clint once said "Dying ain't much of a living"

People putting money over their health or the health of others? They don't have the foresight or imagination to think of themselves in a hospital bed on a ventilator, desperate/gasping for their next breath and thinking "if only I had closed the hardressers a few days early" or, of course, spreading the virus to someone else, perhaps less healthy who then dies. They can only see the next few quid coming their way. To claim that people don't have a choice is not fair.

I totally agree that hairdressers are one of those industries right now that should be looking to close up shop which is why i said people working responsibly in my original response to Pauls post.

We don't know how long this is going to go on for, the government have said they are going to bail companies out with 80% of covering peoples wages but how long is that going to last? 2 months, 6 months, nobody knows but it can't last forever. If people can carry on working now and ease the burden on the state for as long as possible they should.

People like me who can, are being encouraged to work from home but that isn't a sustainable answer. For the vast majority of commerce me and others are doing on our laptops it will have a direct consequence of somebody else having to go out to a place of work to make something, move it and deliver it, install it or screw it on the wall.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Is going to the local Council dump really necessary ?Image
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

People are "reverting to type" - no work, the sun is out, what do we do? we go to the council dump, remarkable, lock down has to come surely? we can't be trusted. Perhaps Orwell was wrong?

vandal

Post by vandal »

We were just discussing what shops are deemed essential. Food retailers & Chemists obviously - DIY stores? Garden Centres?

The DIY, I'd say yes because people will still need lightbulbs, plumbing or electrical materials etc. Tradesmen will still be needed, Gas Engineers, Electricians, Plumbers - things are still going to break or need serviced. Not sure about Garden Centres, even though a vast number of us use the garden as a means of escape, whether it's to cut the grass or prune the roses - & what of those with an Allotment?

CJS

Post by CJS »

vandal wrote:We were just discussing what shops are deemed essential. Food retailers & Chemists obviously - DIY stores? Garden Centres?

The DIY, I'd say yes because people will still need lightbulbs, plumbing or electrical materials etc. Tradesmen will still be needed, Gas Engineers, Electricians, Plumbers - things are still going to break or need serviced. Not sure about Garden Centres, even though a vast number of us use the garden as a means of escape, whether it's to cut the grass or prune the roses - & what of those with an Allotment?

Agree about garden centres - they're hardly essential, but I think they will stay open for as long as possible. There are going to be some seriously well kept back gardens this year!

Pretty easy to visit your allotment and stay 2 metres from the next person I would think. However, it would also be easy enough for council run ones to be closed.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

Our local butchers has told us that due to the people trying to panic buy meat and all milling around in front of the counter they are going to shut the shop and look at delivery in the local area, local hairdressers have shut. Some git tried to take three 16 roll packs of toilet roll that had just arrived as we were going to leave and was left in no doubt by staff and other customers that that was not going to happen, we managed to get one, which is all we needed, as we will be sharing with family who have not been able to get any.

pako-2008

Post by pako-2008 »

Paul_Reflex wrote:In our town Bellway Homes have just started a new housing estate and all of the builders were there working away. This site hasn’t even got planning permission yet!
Madness.

Putting the planning issue to one side:

Most of a building site is self employed, of which at present are looking at £94 a week to live on should it all close down. If they have the opportunity to work and pay the bills at the risk of illness, I can guarantee you many will not hesitate to turn in everyday. Doesn't make it right, but that's the reality here. End up starving on the streets and potential death, or severe illness and potential death... not great options either way.

That said, a building site is a safer environment to be working in with regards to this virus (not exempt from risk, but open aired). Until the weekend, the construction industry in Italy has remained open, and only the Lombardi region shut down at the weekend... just for a bit of perspective on this one point raised.
Cheers
Aaron

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

For all the toilet roll hoarders. :biggrin:
https://thepooptool.com/

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

18:06
Breaking
Prime minister to address the nation
The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson will address the nation at 20:30 GMT tonight.
This sounds like it will be different from the normal daily government briefing

Sounds ominous