COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
CJS

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by CJS »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 3:42 pm
gamecock wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 2:12 pm
This thread just reinforces my belief that there’s no place for politics on hobby forums. Take it to Twitter or Facebook.
From my favourite Bachman Turner Overdrive track:
“You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet”
:wink:
I thought that was their only track...

:hide:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 2:34 pm
gamecock wrote:
This thread just reinforces my belief that there’s no place for politics on hobby forums. Take it to Twitter or Facebook.
A perfectly reasonable view to have, and I know that others also hold it.

But I wonder why? To me, it’s contained in a thread, and better to have this act as the sink or flypaper for those who wish to discuss it rather than it pervade into other threads?

And if one is not interested in it, they can note to steer clear?

But there we are.
i agree with this.

if people didn't feel like talking about it, then threads wouldn't take off. the fact that we restrain it into this section means it (mostly) stays out of other sections

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

CJS wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 3:51 pm
iainpeden wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 3:42 pm
gamecock wrote:
From my favourite Bachman Turner Overdrive track:
“You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet”
:wink:
I thought that was their only track...

:hide:
Get listening to Planet Rock or Radio Caroline - it would improve your musical education (but you are but a slip of a lad.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Thinking about DC's story, his eyesight excuse covers him but what about his wife? They needed to come up with a story that gave them both a reasonable excuse (as required by law). I wonder if she was consulted? Imagine her watching hubby on TV and hearing this BS about an eyesight test!
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

How he can justify not having quarantine at the airports back at the beginning because the science says there would have been little effect if any on infection rates and yet then go on to say that introducing it now will help stop re-infection !

This is pure drivel.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Teaboy wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 4:42 pm
How he can justify not having quarantine at the airports back at the beginning because the science says there would have been little effect if any on infection rates and yet then go on to say that introducing it now will help stop re-infection !

This is pure drivel.
Depends where you draw the line and how you define the problem, not having quarantine was based on the virus having free flow within the community so we were already in it, we also had air travel at a level where without test and trace it couldn't work.

Now we have low infection and very little air travel you can use quarantine to help control that element (imported cases) which would have a significantly larger effect at this point.

Indicative of earlier failures but there is an argument to be made at this point.

vandal

Post by vandal »

From Twitter.

Hunt tackling PM on testing turnaround time. Why don’t you say I want tests back within 24 hrs? PM: We’ve done that. Hunt: You’ve introduced a 24 hr targets? PM: Yes Hunt: When by? PM: I’m not giving you a deadline right now I’ve been forbidden from announcing any new targets

4:43 PM · May 27, 2020

PM has just said “I’m not giving you a deadline right now. I have been forbidden from announcing any more targets” By whom? He’s the *actual prime minister*

4:44 PM · May 27, 2020

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

vandal wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 5:05 pm

PM has just said “I’m not giving you a deadline right now. I have been forbidden from announcing any more targets” By whom? He’s the *actual prime minister*

4:44 PM · May 27, 2020
i'll give you 3 guesses

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"This is pure drivel."

I fear we have been fed drivel for many weeks but it's only now that the nation is starting to realise it. BJ giving not so subtle clues that he is not really in charge.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

gamecock wrote:
Still,I suppose if Cov-19 hadn't happened people might now not be happy with the probable 100+ pages on the RIAT thread. :grin:

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

When do the panel think we'll actually make any progress towards relaxing lockdown? by which I don't mean being able to meet your family outdoors at 2m distance, being able to travel to work as long as it's by private car, restaurants and pubs open for takeaway etc.

Despite often negligible new cases in some areas of the UK we are still posting very high (for our population) daily death figures; go figure. The longer this continues the more limited HMG's options become.

I'll take a punt at 3 months

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Zoom wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 7:28 pm
When do the panel think we'll actually make any progress towards relaxing lockdown? by which I don't mean being able to meet your family outdoors at 2m distance, being able to travel to work as long as it's by private car, restaurants and pubs open for takeaway etc.

Despite often negligible new cases in some areas of the UK we are still posting very high (for our population) daily death figures; go figure. The longer this continues the more limited HMG's options become.

I'll take a punt at 3 months
Will depend on if a second wave comes along I guess...and how severe that is.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Guys I've moved a lot of the non-covid political drivel into the politics thread and removed all the conspiracy nut job stuff.

Try and keep the thread on track, please?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Boris Johnson's performance in front of the liaison comittee this afternoon was woeful. Embarrassing beyond belief.

Yvette Cooper summed it up
"On the way into this crisis, you were criticised for getting a whole series of messages wrong and 40,000 people are dead.

"We need you to get this right now.

"You have a choice between protecting Dominic Cummings and putting the national interest first. Which will it be Prime Minister?"
and this gem from Pete Wishart.
“I actually think that you’ve been quite brave. The way that you’ve been prepared to sacrifice the credibility and popularity of your own government, just to stand by your man.”
Johnson is out of his depth.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

My farther told me something before he died he said - "Trust No One - Believe No One and Trust your Intuition"
Sound words in a World of so many Liers.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Boris today - Way out of his depth so feels like he is just a puppet with someone else pulling his strings.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 10:44 pm
My farther told me something before he died he said - "Trust No One - Believe No One and Trust your Intuition"
Interesting, was your late father a Buddhist?

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Tomahawk wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 12:05 am
IATthenRIAT wrote:

Ex RAF.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

DerekF wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020, 10:14 pm

“I actually think that you’ve been quite brave. The way that you’ve been prepared to sacrifice the credibility and popularity of your own government, just to stand by your man.”
A gem indeed, SNP MP confirms Tory Government in Westminster has credibility and popularity to sacrifice on the alter of loyalty to a loyal servant.

Apart from that, I thought Boff claimed to have just cleaned the politics out of the thread and here you are Derek tunnel visioned on Dominic Cummings and tory bashing.

FB :nauseated_face:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Tomahawk wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 12:05 am
IATthenRIAT wrote:
I think that was a common saying back in the day. I remember my father using it. But he was an ex copper.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 3:37 am
DerekF wrote:

A gem indeed, SNP MP confirms Tory Government in Westminster has credibility and popularity to sacrifice on the alter of loyalty to a loyal servant.

Apart from that, I thought Boff claimed to have just cleaned the politics out of the thread and here you are Derek tunnel visioned on Dominic Cummings and tory bashing.

It may have passed you by, but the Tories are currently in government. They are responsible for a large number of deaths becasue their tardiness and incompetence. The Cummings saga is only a symptom of a greater problem at the heart of our government. All-pervading uselessness.
Their insistence on reducing the lockdown restrictions when the chances of a second peak in infections is high, is nothing short of criminal. All in the name of the "economy".

What is more important? People's lives or money?

I think we know the answer to that one.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Seems to be a lot of this sort of thing today:

It seems pretty clear that the Government has over-rushed it’s test and trace programme out to take some of the heat of the story away from Cummings.

This test and tracing system is the thing that will bring us out of lockdown so it absolutely *needs* to be right. A great shame that Johnson is so weak that he can’t sack Cummings, and risks the nation’s health to cover that.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Finningley Boy wrote:

“tory bashing” 😂😂

Andy cleaned the thread a bit, mostly because you started to deflect the conversation because you engaged in whataboutery and started talking about Tony Blair axing a Tornado squadron or two which has bigger-all to do with COVID-19 and the nation’s response to it.

Derek is correct. Johnson is captaining thIs ship, and there is much to discuss about how he is handling it. That by it’s nature is political.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

DerekF wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 7:48 am
Finningley Boy wrote:
DerekF wrote:

It may have passed you by, but the Tories are currently in government. They are responsible for a large number of deaths becasue their tardiness and incompetence. The Cummings saga is only a symptom of a greater problem at the heart of our government. All-pervading uselessness.
Their insistence on reducing the lockdown restrictions when the chances of a second peak in infections is high, is nothing short of criminal. All in the name of the "economy".

What is more important? People's lives or money?

I think we know the answer to that one.
As disingenuous as ever, the tories are in government so politics as loaded and ranting as you like is perfectly permissible, well I have the right to counter. Just because they are in government does not mean by default they are there to be constantly attacked by you, publicly without redress. Accusations of bringing about the deaths of thousands is a tall charge. Are all governments responsible for all the deaths in their countries? Even the ones you quite like?

The government have made mistakes, they have, as you will sweep aside due to your own ridiculous bias, acted on expert advice, which is all over the place, no two experts can agree beyond the spelling of Covid. The have government have acted from the outset, as all governments, to do what they concluded was for the best, the outcome each time has never been certain, no matter what they did..

They are getting on top of Covid 19. But for sure, no matter how good the news there'll always be someone to look for bad news, lock down should remain, be tightened, there will be a second spike, and it will be even worse for the economy. Well the economy is in ICU now. If we carry on with lockdown, as you seem to prefer, the economy will reach its nadir in no time. How bad exactly that will be I don't know and you don't care, unless its fear over the impact of Brexit of course! The one and only time the economy has ever been regarded by the left.

Maybe you can shut yourself indoors with your feet up watching reruns of Jeremy Corbyn speeches, denying his IRA and Hamas links, but some of us have to go to work anyway. Do you have no faith in the test and trace being rolled out? how about the vaccine trials up and down the country? how about the falling infection rate, the falling death rate, according to the experts at least? If the government briefings are as devoid of the truth as you seem to believe, then surely it is a resigning matter for Whity and Valance? not to mention the rest of the experts.

But as always with partisan political views as strongly held as yours, you hold those you oppose, government or not, to the most absurdly high standard.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 8:45 am
Finningley Boy wrote:

“tory bashing” 😂😂

Andy cleaned the thread a bit, mostly because you started to deflect the conversation because you engaged in whataboutery and started talking about Tony Blair axing a Tornado squadron or two which has bigger-all to do with COVID-19 and the nation’s response to it.

Derek is correct. Johnson is captaining thIs ship, and there is much to discuss about how he is handling it. That by it’s nature is political.
Tommy, you're the one who brought up SDSR 2010.