COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
sasagi

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by sasagi »

I think it's a good excuse for all the governments. They just hiding all other problems behind this virus.
Annually much more people infected with influenza. In 2018-2019 it was more than 13 millions and hundred thousands of death. Annually!
And now.... I JUST WANT MY NORMAL LIFE!
My back is on pain!

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

sasagi wrote:I think it's a good excuse for all the governments. They just hiding all other problems behind this virus.
Annually much more people infected with influenza. In 2018-2019 it was more than 13 millions and hundred thousands of death. Annually!
And now.... I JUST WANT MY NORMAL LIFE!
My back is on pain!

Woosh

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

The biggest threat? virus or stupidity ? virus or stupidity? We all want our normal life back. The relatives and friends of the dead would like them back.
Last edited by pbeardmore on Fri 27 Mar 2020, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

sasagi wrote:I think it's a good excuse for all the governments. They just hiding all other problems behind this virus.

This was my view about three and a half weeks ago. Then I read some, watched some videos from Italy and now know I was wrong.

This is far more easily spread than flu. One person can infect many more people than with the flu. It has a higher death rate and puts more pressure on frontline medical staff than the flu does.

I don't understand how this far down the line people still are of the opinion of it's just like the flu, but a bit worse.

As for other problems, I think they drop into almost insignificantness.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Do well to remember, the deaths through Covid 19 are in addition to deaths attributed to flu. We're not dealing with one or the other, we are now dealing with both.

T_J

Post by T_J »

Discovery Channel (Sky 125) Sunday 29 March 8pm-9pm

Pandemic: COVID-19

Sunday 29 March 8:00 pm
Length 1 hour
Using the latest information from the medical frontlines, experts reveals why this novel form of coronavirus is so deadly and what steps are being taken to combat it.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

my 83 year old (84 next week) Mum is not resisting the urge to go out rather than stay at home so to try to keep her safe I've done her shopping for her. Being German born she loves Lidl and they don't do online / click and infect etc and also sell stuff you simply can't buy in Tesco etc so I queued up in the car park this morning.

Their stores are simply not set up for social distancing the aisles are too narrow and there Is nowhere else to queue.

But apart from a couple of things which I can get anywhere they had everything on her (long!) list. I used the opportunity to cycle (solo) over there and back via a circuitous 83km route on mostly quiet local roads and lanes. I have a feeling this will be banned soon :question:

Of interest from a UKAR POV is a defence company near Woods Mill not far from Shoreham; they used to have an old ex RAF Jaguar parked up which has gone but there's a very nice Dutch air force helicopter visible through the thin hedges at the moment.

Very little motor traffic on the minor roads too :smile:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

My brother finally gave up his fight against cancer last week, only 10 of us can go to his funeral and we will have to wait until later in the year for a proper send off/wake. If we are spared that is !

A colleague at work has lost both his parents to Covid-19 last week, so I think that’s sadder than my brother, who we all got to visit and died in a hospice with his wife at his side. My mum visited his body at the undertakers to say her final farewells.

My friend’s parents died alone in isolation on ventilators and are now in sealed coffins.

Stay safe and don’t get too inconvenienced over the coming months.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

My condolences. That's got to be pretty awful.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:My condolences. That's got to be pretty awful.

Indeed, really sorry eric
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

So sorry to hear this Eric. Take care of yourself and your family, I really hope that’s the last of it for you and yours.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Trump has some competition:

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has laughed off the suggestion that his country should try to stem the spread of the coronavirus, because he can't see the virus "flying around".

Speaking to a TV reporter at an indoor ice hockey match, he also claimed that crowds at the match were fine because the coldness of the stadium would prevent the virus from spreading.

There is no evidence that this could be the case and the coronavirus cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Unlike most of Europe, Belarus has not placed any restrictions on sports events.

"There are no viruses here," Mr Lukashenko said. "You haven't seen them flying around, have you? I don't see them either! This is a fridge. Sport, particularly the ice, this fridge here, that's the best antiviral cure!"
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

ericbee123 wrote:My brother finally gave up his fight against cancer last week, only 10 of us can go to his funeral and we will have to wait until later in the year for a proper send off/wake. If we are spared that is !

A colleague at work has lost both his parents to Covid-19 last week, so I think that’s sadder than my brother, who we all got to visit and died in a hospice with his wife at his side. My mum visited his body at the undertakers to say her final farewells.

My friend’s parents died alone in isolation on ventilators and are now in sealed coffins.

My sincerest condolences Eric. Lets hope we all get through this.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

ericbee123 wrote:My brother finally gave up his fight against cancer last week, only 10 of us can go to his funeral and we will have to wait until later in the year for a proper send off/wake. If we are spared that is !

That is awful and terrifying.

Please pass on my thoughts to them. They didn’t deserve that I cannot begin to imagine the mental torture they must be currently going through.

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

A member of my family is a Police officer with the road policing unit and only yesterday he stopped some fool out teaching his daughter to drive and another fool towing a caravan who was off to the coast for a few days. Unbelievable in the current situation.

vandal

Post by vandal »

ericbee123 wrote:

I'd take inconvenience any day if it meant no suffering to someone somewhere.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family at this difficult time.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Eric im so sorry to hear about your loss. my thoughts and deepest condolences are with you.
This is the way

Robin

Post by Robin »

Reading all these posts can make one feel realy depressed, unfortunately, all you can do is heed the warnings and try to keep as safe as you can. Today I have reached the grand total of Four Score Years and One and just hope that I can see a few more. With the help of my friends and family looking after me I look forward to achieving my wishes. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

vandal

Post by vandal »

Just been reported Dominic Cummings now isolating.

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-adviser-d ... s-11965644

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

For those of you, your family members or friends who are suffering hardship at this time, please remember that the foodbanks are there to meet the needs of people who have temporary difficulties. My wife volunteers at one so if any one can't locate their local one or is unsure how to access them, PM me and I'll try to find the relevant information.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

should have posted sooner, sorry to hear of your loss Eric, Condolences to you and your family.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Hi all,

Long time since I was last on here, I too have some sad news I lost my brother before xmas, it hit me hard and I just did not have it in me to log into here.

Very sad times for us all feels hard after loosing my brother.

Take care everyone.

CJS

Post by CJS »

iainpeden wrote:For those of you, your family members or friends who are suffering hardship at this time, please remember that the foodbanks are there to meet the needs of people who have temporary difficulties. My wife volunteers at one so if any one can't locate their local one or is unsure how to access them, PM me and I'll try to find the relevant information.

Indeed, and they are in all areas, including ones you might not expect there to be a need https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/

My parents live in a very affluent part of Surrey and their food bank is always rammed (they volunteer there. Or they did before this thing came along - they are officially old so get to stay in all day now. Dad's loving it :grin: )

CJS

Post by CJS »

Just a thought, but if there are any parents out there who are after home learning for their kids and who feel that their schools haven't done enough ( :shock: ) feel free to plunder the stuff on my school's website: http://trinityceprimaryschool.co.uk/hom ... uidelines/

I do appreciate that there is a mass of stuff out there but y'know, every little helps and all that. Plus I've spent ages putting it together and my class will probably ignore it, so someone may as well get some use out of it...

I'm joking by the way, in case there are any parents from my school on UKAR!

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

CJS wrote:Just a thought, but if there are any parents out there who are after home learning for their kids and who feel that their schools haven't done enough ( :shock: ) feel free to plunder the stuff on my school's website: http://trinityceprimaryschool.co.uk/hom ... uidelines/

I do appreciate that there is a mass of stuff out there but y'know, every little helps and all that. Plus I've spent ages putting it together and my class will probably ignore it, so someone may as well get some use out of it...

I'm joking by the way, in case there are any parents from my school on UKAR!

thanks Chris, I've passed the link onto my daughter to see if it will help them. For Granddaughter of course :smile:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens