COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Tommy »

Quite relentless incompetence.

It really does feel like a reactionary government. They look at the morning papers, brick it, and then go on TV. It doesn’t exactly feel that they have control over this, given two senior ministers are completely contradicting each other in a very short space of time. As you say, it’s not exactly a long-term policy, is it.

Also, side note, but how gaudy does Shapps’ setup look. The bookcase, dispatch box, the flag... Christ alive, we’re not Americans. Perhaps if he tried as hard on his brief than on the perfect Zoom setup, we might have something close to tangible from him.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I've noticed that the book, top right, changes each time.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Some firms would have followed government advice and spent considerable funds and time preparing their work places for staff return only to be told 3 1/2 weeks later to reverse that policy (ie staff working from home where possible). It clearly is a complete shambles. They dont seem to have the ability to grasp the enormity of the challenge with no sense of a long term stategy.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

ted633

Post by ted633 »

rdchawk wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 6:39 am
Again what's the difference between closing bars etc at 10pm and 11pm??

Not a great deal, but at the weekends pubs/bars are open until 1am, so that may stop people drinking too much for too long, and we know what happens to social distancing by that time. As for table service, it won't make too much of a difference to most pubs as they have been doing it well. However, it will hopefully stop the (significant) minority of pubs that have been operating like nothing has happened and contributed to the position we are in now.
I just feel for the pubs and restaurants that have been doing it all safely and responsibly, as they are being punished for doing nothing wrong themselves.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Shutting the pubs/restaurants earlier will make no difference at all other than a bad one where they'll be more people leaving at closing time and heading to public transport, whereas if open til the early hours there is a staggered going home of people.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

rdchawk wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 10:15 am
Shutting the pubs/restaurants earlier will make no difference at all other than a bad one where they'll be more people leaving at closing time and heading to public transport, whereas if open til the early hours there is a staggered going home of people.
interestingly, I was in Turkey last week and they did something similar while i was there.
they announced that all bars had to stop music at midnight as opposed to 3/4 am. their rationale was that the later it gets, the more drunk people dance together and could spread the covid.
it seemed odd to me at the time, but as soon as the music stopped, the bars emptied, save for a few places with outside seating (some bars were allowed to stay open with no music), by about 12.30 there was barely anyone on the streets which is unusual for the city we go to.

the truth is in the week when pubs normally shut at 11 its not going to make a difference, but most people get drunk enough to be extra social at the weekends when the pubs and clubs would be open to 1/2 in the morning.

i mean the whole thing is a shambles, but they have put themselves in a position where they kill the hospitality trade with a second lockdown or try to mitigate their "Well, there's no need for that" up in the least drastic way they can

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

It is a shambles, that has been managed appallingly.

Did I hear him mention using the Military to back up enforcement?

Didn’t know we were living in a dictatorship.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Yes he did very quickly slip in that the army could help back up the police
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It really is quite rancid.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Nicola Sturgeon asking for people to not book an overseas break during October holidays. Not went as far as to forbid it, but the entitled & those that think Covid 19 restrictions don't apply to them won't pay that any attention.

Pubs & clubs, from Friday - 10pm closing.

We're also forbidden from tomorrow (23rd) to visit any other households in their homes but can still meet with 1 other household outdoors, up to a maximum of 6. One or two exemptions re visiting another household - If I heard correctly, Grandparents can continue to child mind.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 1:31 pm

Not only is it rancid, its a lie. That is not the reason, and he well knows it.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

ted633 wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 10:04 am
rdchawk wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 6:39 am
Again what's the difference between closing bars etc at 10pm and 11pm??

Not a great deal, but at the weekends pubs/bars are open until 1am, so that may stop people drinking too much for too long, and we know what happens to social distancing by that time. As for table service, it won't make too much of a difference to most pubs as they have been doing it well. However, it will hopefully stop the (significant) minority of pubs that have been operating like nothing has happened and contributed to the position we are in now.
I just feel for the pubs and restaurants that have been doing it all safely and responsibly, as they are being punished for doing nothing wrong themselves.
I live in a rural village. The generalisation that all pubs are city bars/clubs.. just another case of it being silly of them to generalise, and damaging to so many.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 2:21 pm
Tommy wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 1:31 pm

Not only is it rancid, its a lie. That is not the reason, and he well knows it.
Should we be surprised, the guy is a serial liar and will say anything to further his career or cover his (or his friends) backsides. I do sometimes wonder whether he has a conscience and whether he reflects on what he has said and done, and what a dismal failure he has been.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

As far as I can see,he wanted the job of PM, for the power it gives him, but not the responsibities.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Saw an interview with Mr Microsoft himself Bill and Wife talking about covid19 mk2 sayimg it will be far worst than what we have seen so far, he even finished his speach off with a distasteful smurk at the end - dont think its anything funny to smurk/smile about.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 4:25 pm
Saw an interview with Mr Microsoft himself Bill and Wife talking about covid19 mk2 sayimg it will be far worst than what we have seen so far, he even finished his speach off with a distasteful smurk at the end - dont think its anything funny to smurk/smile about.
Bill Gates has done more good in the world with his billions than the rest of us can only dream of. This is in spite of considerable adverse publicity perpetuated recently by a whole range of conspiracist nut jobs linking Gates, to Covid via 5g and mind control through vaccination. I believe he will taking this matter extremely seriously. We are familiar with the phenomenon of people misinterpreting odd or awkward facial expressions. Priti Patel fell foul of this on more than one occasion.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

So what difference will all this make? (in England only)

Office workers are being told to work from home again if possible,

I never went back (at least no more than 1 / 2 days a week and only if required) I know of a lot of people in my position. Everyone else doesn't have a lot of choice now furlough is finished

Penalties for not wearing a mask or gathering in groups of more than six will increase to £200 on the first offence

Big deal, I thought it was £1000 already not £100

From Thursday 24 September, all pubs, bars and restaurants will be restricted to table service only. Takeaways can continue

spoons will still be full on Friday / Saturday nights everyone will use the app. With colder weather they will go back to each others' houses after 2200

Also from Thursday, hospitality venues must close at 22:00 - which means shutting then, not calling for last orders (in Scotland the same curfew rule comes into force on Friday)

Big deal

Exemptions to the "rule of six" will be cut back from Thursday, meaning indoor team sports such as five-a-side football matches will end

Big deal

Face coverings must be worn by taxi drivers and passengers from Wednesday

amazed they aren't already

Retail staff and customers in indoor hospitality venues will also have to wear masks from Thursday, except when seated at a table to eat or drink

good; but staff already have screens up so will only affect those shopping for lazy peeps who can't be 4rsed to shop themselves. Interestingly why isn't click and collect processed at night with a price premium for employing night workers?

From Monday 28 September, only 15 people will be able to attend weddings and civil partnerships, in groups of six. Funerals can still take place with up to 30 people

Big deal

Also from 28 September, you can only play indoor sports in groups of less than six

??

The planned return of spectators to sports venues will now not go ahead from 1 October

as it hasn't happened yet difficult to see how this will prevent the spread

I'd give it another 2 weeks before rules get even more severe, the main change I expected to see was the rule of 6 indoors to be reduced .

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

BBC1 at 8 p.m. - Boris' briefing
BBC1 at 8.30 p.m. - "Would I lie to you"

Scheduler could be looking for a new job.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Paulish wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 5:16 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Bill Gates has done more good in the world with his billions than the rest of us can only dream of. This is in spite of considerable adverse publicity perpetuated recently by a whole range of conspiracist nut jobs linking Gates, to Covid via 5g and mind control through vaccination. I believe he will taking this matter extremely seriously. We are familiar with the phenomenon of people misinterpreting odd or awkward facial expressions. Priti Patel fell foul of this on more than one occasion.
He has openly said many many times that population control is so important for the planet, he is Not your magical god you like to think he is.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Zoom wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 5:25 pm
So what difference will all this make? (in England only)

Office workers are being told to work from home again if possible,

I never went back (at least no more than 1 / 2 days a week and only if required) I know of a lot of people in my position. Everyone else doesn't have a lot of choice now furlough is finished

Penalties for not wearing a mask or gathering in groups of more than six will increase to £200 on the first offence

Big deal, I thought it was £1000 already not £100

From Thursday 24 September, all pubs, bars and restaurants will be restricted to table service only. Takeaways can continue

spoons will still be full on Friday / Saturday nights everyone will use the app. With colder weather they will go back to each others' houses after 2200

Also from Thursday, hospitality venues must close at 22:00 - which means shutting then, not calling for last orders (in Scotland the same curfew rule comes into force on Friday)

Big deal

Exemptions to the "rule of six" will be cut back from Thursday, meaning indoor team sports such as five-a-side football matches will end

Big deal

Face coverings must be worn by taxi drivers and passengers from Wednesday

amazed they aren't already

Retail staff and customers in indoor hospitality venues will also have to wear masks from Thursday, except when seated at a table to eat or drink

good; but staff already have screens up so will only affect those shopping for lazy peeps who can't be 4rsed to shop themselves. Interestingly why isn't click and collect processed at night with a price premium for employing night workers?

From Monday 28 September, only 15 people will be able to attend weddings and civil partnerships, in groups of six. Funerals can still take place with up to 30 people

Big deal

Also from 28 September, you can only play indoor sports in groups of less than six

??

The planned return of spectators to sports venues will now not go ahead from 1 October

as it hasn't happened yet difficult to see how this will prevent the spread

I'd give it another 2 weeks before rules get even more severe, the main change I expected to see was the rule of 6 indoors to be reduced .
But hunting by the elite allowed to take place un-checked.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

These new rules Boris comes up with - does it not have to be voted on in the commons - do the other parties not have a say?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 6:28 pm
These new rules Boris comes up with - does it not have to be voted on in the commons - do the other parties not have a say?
Much of the "new" rulings are covered under existing health legislation but there is significant disquiet on the Tory back benches about not only the measures being introduced but the way in which the whole thing is being handled.
As to the second question - with an 80 seat majority BJ's not listening.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm
Paulish wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
He has openly said many many times that population control is so important for the planet, he is Not your magical god you like to think he is.
How the hell are you still permitted to be on this forum?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

8 minutes of waffle. That message wasn’t inspiring or convincing at all.

I don’t think that will swing people’s minds at all.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm
Paulish wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
many people express their feelings about the population. doesn't mean they are all part of a cult who are going to inject you with 5g.
seriously how do you say this stuff with a straight face?