COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Pen Pusher

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Pen Pusher »

AlexC wrote:Incidentally, I was in London for four days late February, early March including a couple of trips in crowded tube trains, and I did have a bit of a mild head-ache for a few days after I got back home, but that has now gone. Have to say, I was very glad to get out of London.

On my frequent trips to London in the past, including overnight stay's, I generally get home with a cough and sore throat and put it down to traffic pollution. I had a couple of days in London last week and the week before including tube and train travel. Not a cough and sore throat this time. So far.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

the government have said tonight that based on their computer modelling, they show UK deaths at 250,000, so based on a populace of 67million, thats 1 death per 268

so thats me with lung, liver, overweight and high blood pressure gone then (most at risk apparently), so time to draw up my will, sadly, just in case. :dunno:
Got to love Russianhardware

verreli

Post by verreli »

Don't give up. That figure was for a different strategy. The current strategy projects low thousands to 10s of thousands. This is still bad but not catastrophic. There are always positive steps you can take. Humans are instinctively programmed to survive which is part of the underlying reason for many of the world's issues.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Boris asks people to avoid pubs etc.
If he had Ordered us to close, we might have a claim on insurance. Asking us means we have to voluntarily close. We lose the ability to claim.
I know it pales against loss of life and my thoughts are with those bereived, but this country will need business to pick up the pieces when all this is over. Say what you like about France and Macron but he has backed business completely tonight. "Nobody will be made bankrupt from Covid19"
Over to you Boris, Richy et al.
Worst few days in 15 years.
Last edited by Pat Murphy on Tue 17 Mar 2020, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Well the Grand National has just been cancelled. Had applied for accreditation too.

Coronavirus has gone too far now.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

TomTwin wrote:Well the Grand National has just been cancelled

Something something why the long face.....?

:tumbleweed:
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.

Canon

Post by Canon »

As a final year engineering student, I am worried about exams.
Apparently they're going to be 'online exams', but writing equations and doing calculations on a computer really isn't a good alternative to writing them by hand (especially when every exam we've ever done has been pen and paper in an exam hall).
I could currently choose to take my 1st at Beng instead of risking getting a lower grade on my Meng, but it would seem a shame to throw away all the hard work of this year.

Also, with gyms closing and no airshows, there goes my only hopes of staying sane :surrender: .

I feel as if there will be many deaths in teenagers/young adults caused indirectly by the virus.
Exam season at uni is already hard enough for most students without the additional unknown of 'online exams' and no gym to de-stress.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Pat Murphy wrote:Boris asks people to avoid pubs etc.
If he had Ordered us to close, we might have a claim on insurance. Asking us means we have to voluntarily close. We lose the ability to claim.
I know it pales against loss of life and my thoughts are with those bereived, but this country will need business to pick up the pieces when all this is over. Say what you like about France and Macron but he has backed business completely tonight. "Nobody will be made bankrupt from Covid19"

This.

Last nights announcement was a cowards announcement trying to avoid taking any blame for hardship caused. He effectively signed the death warrant for thousands of businesses who cannot now claim on their insurance policies without a direct a government instruction to close.

This was quite clearly a deliberate act, perhaps having something to do with the Hedge Funds he and his cronies (JRM et al) rely on having strong ties to the insurance sector?

Boris Johnson - businesses should stay open but we advise you not to use them.

It’s dealing with the crises as cheaply as possible, not dealing with the crises as it should be. This man once again showing his true colours.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Boris will fall in line shortly and order pubs and clubs ect to close imo, UK are running a couple of weeks behind EU on the spread of this virus, unfortunately we will catch up, take care everyone :sad:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

'Shortly' isn't good enough though. Businesses don't have enough fat in them to wait and see, many will lay people off today, some will close, etc etc. That announcement was negligent, and was either ill thought out or there was another agenda, as Andy suggests. Neither is acceptable.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Agreed. Last night was the time to make it.

Believe it or not I was actually pretty satisfied with the way Johnson and co were handling it. They seemed to be informed by science, and the budget proposals did exactly what they needed to to soothe anxiety at that stage.

But now he’s back to his very usual routine of ballsing it.

The announcement last night was negligent. I think the worst part about his use of those words is that no thought had gone into them. Perhaps he intended to close pubs, but pussyfooted and made a bit of a milksop statement about it which has the effect of gutting the services and entertainment industry.

I’m sure he will be along to correct it, but that’s not good enough. He needs to make decisions. Not half-baked “advice”. Lead the god damn country, man. It’s the job you thought you were entitled to all your life. Friggin’ do it.

Personally, I’m annoyed the statement was last night. Anyone with half a brain could have thought to do it on Friday or even Sunday evening *before* everyone went back to work. If we need to stay at home so be it, but how much damage has that additional day’s commuting done? I’ve now purchased my weekly rail ticket which I won’t get refunded, so there’s £40 up the swanny.

Johnson creams himself to being a latter day Maggie or Churchill. This is his time to lead, and he’s coming out with half-assurances and vague advice.

Imagine “we might fight them on the beaches...”, or “maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe.”

For all their faults, people look fondly on them because they made decisions. Tough decisions. Hard decisions. That is the type of stuff that earns respect. Not wishy-washy bearing around the bush.

And the scruffy hair and demeanour is beyond annoying now. It’s not lovable charm or matey matey anymore. I’m surprised, given people used to rinse Corbyn (he can get to F and all) for being scruffy and not wearing a tie, but no one does the same about the fat blobiating scruffy light pole we have for a PM.

And, I’ve said this before, but he really truly is a god-awful public speaker. How he managed to make six figures from speaking to drunken old farts in too-tight dinner jackets is beyond me.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

BMrider wrote:Boris will fall in line shortly and order pubs and clubs etc to close IMO, UK are running a couple of weeks behind EU on the spread of this virus, unfortunately, we will catch up, take care everyone :sad:

he should have fallen in line last night, and not given some wishy-washy presser putting the responsibility on us to crash the entertainment/catering industry. probably so he doesn't have to have the responsibility as usual.

a number of landlords I know are staying open because until they have some official closure or government/insurance support they can't afford to close. as a result, people will still go on in and support them and it fixes nothing.

as for how it affects me, it hasn't really yet. there is a meeting going on currently which is likely to suggest those of us who can work from home should, so i expect by the end of today i will be working from home.

we have stocked up on the essentials of wine.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Similar to BMRiders post above, Its strange how for a while now there's been lots of discussions about working from home and not mingling in pubs etc, yet my work seem so slow to actually announce or say what the plans are and I have contact with way more people at work than if I'm in my local pub!! Its very easy for us to WFH but there just seems a complete lack of commitment in making that call.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I'm more concerned at the true exposing of the character of the human race than covid-19.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

There was a comment on an article in the Guardian yesterday whcih struck a chord.

The commenter wondered if a possible social melt down in the UK in the near future due to Covid-19 would result in some Mad Max like dystopian result...however with the madness of panic buying of toilet roll and the like the future was unlikely to be bad-ass and more likely wipe-ass.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Its affecting my job I work in a Church Hall and many of the classes that take place have been cancelled. Most email & phone enquiries today have been cancellations.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I live in a low prevalence area but normally commute to London to work in the NHS.

I was in Mallorca last week as it was all kicking off in Spain. As we flew home they closed the whole island down. I went into work yesterday, train in was pretty quiet and well spread out. I cycle from there to work so no tube or buses required. Train back was crowded and I was trying to avoid everyone (so were they) but out of over 40,000 tested only a few are positive so hoping I'm OK.

I'm now working from home for the first time ever; it's amazing just how busy it can be with constant emails conference calls etc. I'm in IT so can do almost everything remotely.

They've now said non essential visitors should avoid going to hospital, does that include me?

To be honest I'm scared about having to go back to London whenever that is. I'm under 70 but people younger than me have died in the UK. Also they don't really know how infectious it is, it could well be more than coughs sneezes and hands. Every breath everyone exhales can contain viruses and can spread many metres before it disperses.

I had a few holidays arranged this year none of which will probably happen; last week was the important one the others can be cancelled until another time.

It's proving hard to get any money back from easyJet (they are offering a free change of date but when is it going to be OK to go to France?) and Brittany Ferries want to keep my deposit for the next trip (independently arranged so no ATOL.

The government have been pathetic, they knew the wishy washy approach of measures they suggested last night didn't work in Italy and won't here. I think the public have decided to do it themselves.

Anyone remember the 2001 Foot and Mouth and how they closed the countryside? they soon woke up when they realised everyone was going out of business. I hope they don't do that this time, they need to prop up businesses (oh hang on doesn't the NHS need it more?)
Last edited by Zoom on Tue 17 Mar 2020, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Euan Buchan wrote:Its affecting my job I work in a Church Hall and many of the classes that take place have been cancelled. Most email & phone enquiries today have been cancellations.

In reality, it would only had been a matter of time that if you were not getting calls of cancellations, it would be yourself on the phone advising your customers that you were closing, for the time being anyway.

Odeon have now closed their doors, our Daughter was due to take to the stage with her dance class, that's been cancelled, a friend of ours who holds Fitness / Zumba classes, they are off for the foreseeable too. Anything involving a gathering of more than a handful of people, it's all for the best. The only place(s) open will more than likely be petrol stations & supermarkets.

I'll be surprised if our Church service this Sunday goes ahead.

vandal

Post by vandal »

BMrider wrote:Boris will fall in line shortly and order pubs and clubs etc to close IMO, UK are running a couple of weeks behind EU on the spread of this virus, unfortunately we will catch up, take care everyone :sad:

There was chat on the news today that Insurance firms were saying that a lot of businesses might not have the relevant cover to claim if they are instructed to close.

Not like them to try & worm out of paying out on a policy.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I was thinking today about my neighbours, and got to think of the 14 houses closest to me there are at least 8 people in the high risk category, that's some scary figure to think about. Yes I know it's not indicative of the whole of the UK, but it's still frightening to think about.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

vandal wrote:
I'll be surprised if our Church service this Sunday goes ahead.

It was on the radio that Church of England have cancelled all their services, however churches are remaining open for prayer.

I do wonder how many people are currently suffering psychosomatic symptoms currently. I mean you could have mild symptoms, self isolate for two weeks and not have Covid-19 time and time again. I know it's better to be safe than sorry but some people will use it as an excuse not to come in.

Yes I know many people are working from home and don't need to use the excuse not to come in, however some of us work in the Public sector and will still be going to work interacting with the public.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

So I see Tesco's are to shut there 24 hour shops at 10pm now. Way to go to cause more people crammed into there stores and create more panic buying.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Pat Murphy wrote:Boris asks people to avoid pubs etc.

Update on my situation:

Early morning phone call confirmed two things, firstly, I would be covered if UK Gov had specified closure and not the wishy washy avoid status. At that point not so good news.
Secondly, more welcome news was the confirmation, finally from Welsh Assembly on Small Business Rates Relief (SBRR), that we would receive the same as England. A full 100% Business Rate Holiday for 1 year.

So now we had to wait for a shot in the arm from The Chancellor, especially after President Macron pumped 300 Billion Euro into French Business. Now I'm no fan of Boris' government, especially over Brexit, but credit where it's due, Mr Sunak appears to have delivered....credit....lots of it and he also "clarified" the position on Insurance for Business Interruption. That lifted the spirits further and then further measures, which may help us as well. So you might think I would be "I'm alright Jack". Not a bit of it, he needs to act further for Gig economy workers, Home Renters, SSP etc etc. Added to that a nasty rumour about a lack of Protective Equipment for Medical staff in hospitals. Logistical shortages, it is to be hoped. Let's just say not all in the garden is Richy, sorry Rosy :wink: If I have one worry in all of today's events, it's the sheer scale of what is proposed. Just how bad things might be is demonstrated by the size of the bridge finance proposed so far. I fear we are in for a time far tougher than any seen in my lifetime. :sad:

One further personal item of good news, my parents made it out of France on the last boat from St Malo for a while. :smile:

A day on the phone to my Insurance company tomorrow. Stay safe everyone.

Pat

Post by 5944 »

Mooshie1956 wrote:So I see Tesco's are to shut there 24 hour shops at 10pm now. Way to go to cause more people crammed into there stores and create more panic buying.

The shelves are being stripped bare and they staff aren't able to restock them. The Tesco at Colney Hatch near the North circular was meant to open at 12am on Monday morning, but didn't until 5am due to the amount of stock that needed replenishing. Even then, people were queuing up from before midnight to get in! At least the supermarkets are finally putting limits on the amount of stuff people can buy.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Mrs Vandal was saying this morning that some shops are opening early for Pensioners only, before the days regular trading gets underway, or are only allowing the Elderly in first.

Iceland & Sainsbury's are two of those mentioned. think it's something like first 2 hours in Iceland & the first hour in Sainsbury's - Pensioners only. Well done them.

Suppose that's all well & good if the older generation can get there first thing, but if it were myself in charge, I'd take a dedicated section of the store - one used for 'Seasonal goods - Easter Eggs / promotions etc', strip it of such, pack it with essentials and put staff on either end and only allow Pensioners, Blue badge holders (a lot of those are not elderly but are vulnerable) etc in to get their stuff. Not foolproof I know, but it would be a start.